Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out how I would handle this is I was Olivia Jade. I went to to her youtube channel and she does a nice job promoting products and I can see why companies would like using her as an influencer.

Do you think young people would go back to her if she throws her parents under the bus? Maybe say something about parents not always being right and to follow your dreams?

I think her mother is ambitious enough and ruthless enough to use any means to try to rehabilitate the family name. And would not mind stooping to some TV program or other media venue that can whitewash their crimes.

I think it will depend on who took the bribery money as deductions on their tax forms. THAT is going to be what gets them into the hottest water, imo.

One guy in the doc even is recorded specifically requesting getting a letter from the scam-man to use for tax purposes. In other cases, the scam-man, directed by the Feds, called the parents and claimed he was getting audited, giving them a "heads up" on what to say when the IRS called, clearly getting them on recordings going along with it. That wasn't an accident - he called the parents deliberately and at the direction of the investigators to get that part on tape.

I find the financial investigation very interesting.

jmo

You mentioend the USC professor in a previous post. Ugh, he wanted to hold a slot for his daughter at USC so he put a $5,000 payment on his credit card and asked for more time because he was refinancing his house in order to pay the money to get her in.

Huffman paid $15,000 to have her daughter's SAT scores corrected. I believe if she wanted a guarantee in at USC, she would have done the side door deal via athletics and paid much more. From reading the stories, it appears the con guy's pricing depends on the family's net worth.

What I don't understand are some of the payments sent to the female USC athletic director written out to USC Athletics. Does that mean USC got a cut of the fraud money too?

Also, I read that if they wished their child attend the ivys such as Yale or Georgetown, the price was much higher than USC.

I think her mother is ambitious enough and ruthless enough to use any means to try to rehabilitate the family name. And would not mind stooping to some TV program or other media venue that can whitewash their crimes.

If that happened, and if I was Olivia, I'd tell my mom to shove it.

I haven't read every post here and apologize if someone has already researched where Lori Laughlin's daughter went to high school. Marymount High School | All-Girls Private School in Los Angeles

My parents sacrificed to send my four siblings and I to a parochial school rather than Detroit Public Schools. I was always grateful to have been given the opportunity for a Catholic education and believe that it served me well. No doubt the prestigious Marymount High School promotes values that are similar to those with which I was raised and educated. Bribery and cheating are surely not among those values.
It is a slap in the face to the high school they attended.

And, the father went to the school and argued with the guidance counselor when the counselor questioned what was on the college application! Unbelievable arrogance and hypocrisy.

jmo

I'm trying to figure out how I would handle this is I was Olivia Jade. I went to to her youtube channel and she does a nice job promoting products and I can see why companies would like using her as an influencer.

Do you think young people would go back to her if she throws her parents under the bus? Maybe say something about parents not always being right and to follow your dreams?

Hmm that's a good question. I think it might be too late for that since Sephora, TRESemme et al are dropping her already. Even if she tried it, what would she vlog about? No more college parties... maybe loud fights with mom and dad about how they ruined her life? Those are what I imagine going on right now...

School Scam Kingpin's Penalty May Be Lighter Than Parents'

Singer may get off easier than the parents because he knew and spilled all of the secrets. (Sickening!)

But not for Singer these parents may not have ever become involved in college cheating scheme. IMO
Whoever makes the deal first usually get the better deal, isn't that usually the case?

At first I thought the parents might claim entrapment, but after reading the doc, I don't think so. They were not coerced in the slightest. Some were hesitant and worried ABOUT BEING CAUGHT, but they went ahead.

Would be interesting to hear from parents who talked to Singer, found him slimy, and declined his services to cheat.

jmo

Hey Everyone,

There is a discussion going on here where people are assuming Jimmy Kimmel's daughter is involved. I can't find anything to suggest this is his daughter. Unless you can come up with a mainstream media link please stop saying it is Jimmy's daughter.
Thank you,
Tricia

This sounds trite to some, I'm sure, but we talk about this a lot in family discussions.

It takes a long time to develop and build things up, to establish trust, etc. It takes a long time to build a physical structure, like a bridge or an office building, even a house. How long does it take to destroy that thing? Sometimes only seconds. Natural disaster, accidents, name your pick.

This is what disappoints me the most, truly, in situations like this. Poor choices quickly destroy what it takes so long to build up. It really is sad in many ways. The aftermath can be so wide ranging. And the choices usually come from poor decision-making, and pure selfishness. No regard for others. In this case, the outcome was not foregone. Those that decided to play along could have easily gone the other way, and said no. In every case.

Sad. But I don't have any empathy for the scammers or the parents.

Kim and Kourtney K. went to that school as well, btw. Saw that in one of the many articles I've read the past few days.

ETA it's also right next door to the Giannulli home. Wonder if they walked those few yards. ;)

LOL! I had already imagined the girls being chauffeured to and from school in a stretch limo.

And you just stated a cause of action against the colleges. There should have been .... It was reasonable to .......

Exactly.

Admissions is almost an industry in this day and age. By grade 10, many are looking to round out their application with extracurricular activities and charitable service. Consultants are retained, SAT tutors, etc. It’s wildly more competitive than 20-30 years ago. In a sample size of 10 applicants where two may get in, they will be largely indistinguishable.

I’m sure that at most of these schools the admissions department has grown exponentially to the student body.

So in view of this, there is really no defence to giving coaches such tremendous deference to the point that they can circumvent the admissions process so easily.

I get giving an applicant preference for athletic reasons, but this was a major loophole ripe for exploitation. Many people have a price.

Hmm that's a good question. I think it might be too late for that since Sephora, TRESemme et al are dropping her already. Even if she tried it, what would she vlog about? No more college parties... maybe loud fights with mom and dad about how they ruined her life? Those are what I imagine going on right now...

LOL, that actually might work but I'm kind of at a loss as to the type of high volume sales products she could promote using that as a basis for her vlogging platform.

I would think those students would have to show they were next in line for a spot and/or harmed monetarily by not getting in.

I think they would be entitled to a refund due to entering a rigged/corrupt system. But actual non-pecuniary damages would be a huge evidentiary hurdle.

LOL, that actually might work but I'm kind of at a loss as to the type of high volume sales products she could promote using that as a basis for her vlogging platform.

I don't think Olivia can make a comeback. The millenials were pretty harsh in their comments on her social media platforms, in the comments section of MSM articles and on the company Instagram pages that used her for promotions (Sephora, Treseme, etc.). Sephora invested a lot of money, producing products with her name.

She's been called a fraud and a spoiled brat. I don't think any company will touch her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus