Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among others charged are ...Manuel Henriquez, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital, whose stock price fell more than 9 percent Tuesday afternoon.

Former Pimco CEO Douglas Hodge charged in major college cheating scheme
Snipped and bolded by me.

A smart CEO of a big company should announce today that his/her kid bombed the SAT and was told to go mow lawns this summer, study, take the test again for a college that can be paid for by mowing lawns. The stock price will soar! :)

jmo

Here are their occupations

Gregory Abbott, 68, NY, and his wife, Marcia Abbott 59. He is founder and chairman of International Dispensing Corp., a food and beverage packaging company.

Gamal "Aziz" Abdelaziz, 62, NV, former president and executive director of Wynn Macau resort.

Diane Blake, 55, CA, an executive at retail merchandising firm.

Todd Blake, 53, CA, an entrepreneur and investor.

Jane Buckingham, 50, CA, CEO of a boutique marketing company

Gordon Caplan, 52, CN, co-chairman of Willkie Farr, which says it has 700 lawyers in 10 offices in six countries.

I-Hin "Joey" Chen, 64, CA, operates a provider of warehousing and related services for the shipping industry.

Amy Colburn, 59, CA

Gregory Colburn, 61, CA

Robert Flaxman, 62, CA, founder and CEO of real estate development firm Crown Realty & Development.

Mossimo Giannulli, 55, CA, fashion designer.

Elizabeth Henriquez, 56,CA

Manuel Henriquez, 55, CA, founder, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital.

Douglas Hodge, 61, CA, former CEO of Pimco investment management company.

Felicity Huffman, 56, CA, actress.

Agustin Huneeus Jr., 53, CA, owner of a family wine vineyard in Napa Valley.

Bruce Isackson, 61, CA, president of a real estate development firm.

Davina Isackson, 55, CA

Michelle Janavs, 48, CA, former executive of a large food manufacturer.

Elisabeth Kimmel, 54, NV, owner and president of a media company.

Marjorie Klapper, 50, CA, co-owner of jewelry business.

Lori Loughlin, 54, CA, actress.

Toby MacFarlane, 56, CA, former senior executive at a title insurance company.

William McGlashan Jr., 55, CA, senior executive at TPG private equity firm.

Marci Palatella, 63, CA, CEO of a liquor distribution company.

Peter Jan Sartorio, 53, of Menlo Park, Calif., packaged food entrepreneur.

Stephen Semprevivo, 53, of Los Angeles, executive at privately held provider of outsourced sales teams.

Devin Sloane, 53, of Los Angeles, founder and CEO of provider of drinking and wastewater systems.

John Wilson, 59, of Hyannis Port, Mass., founder and CEO of private equity and real estate development firm.

Homayoun Zadeh, 57, of Calabasas, Calif., an associate professor of dentistry.

Robert Zangrillo, 52, of Miami, founder and CEO of Dragon Global.

William Rick Singer, 58, of Newport Beach, Calif., owner of the Edge College & Career Network and CEO of the Key Worldwide Foundation, was charged in an information with racketeering conspiracy and money laundering.

Mark Riddell, 36, of Palmetto, Fla., was charged in an information with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud as well as conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Rudolph "Rudy" Meredith, 51, of Madison, Conn., former head women's soccer coach at Yale University, was charged in an information with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud.

John Vandemoer, 41, of Stanford, Calif., the former sailing coach at Stanford University, was charged in an information with racketeering conspiracy.

David Sidoo, 59, of Vancouver, Canada, was charged in an indictment with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. Sidoo was arrested on Friday in San Jose, California, and appeared in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday. A date for his initial appearance in federal court in Boston has not been scheduled.

Igor Dvorskiy, 52, of Sherman Oaks, Calif., director of a private elementary and high school in Los Angeles and a test administrator for the College Board and ACT.

Gordon Ernst, 52, of Chevy Chase, Md., former head coach of men and women's tennis at Georgetown University.

William Ferguson, 48, of Winston-Salem, N.C., former women's volleyball coach at Wake Forest University.

Martin Fox, 62, of Houston, president of a private tennis academy in Houston.

Donna Heinel, 57, of Long Beach, Calif., senior associate athletic director at the University of Southern California.

Laura Janke, 36, of North Hollywood, Calif., former assistant coach of women's soccer at the University of Southern California.

Ali Khoroshahin, 49, of Fountain Valley, Calif., former head coach of women's soccer at the University of Southern California.

Steven Masera, 69, of Folsom, Calif., accountant and financial officer for the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jorge Salcedo, 46, of Los Angeles, former head coach of men's soccer at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Mikaela Sanford, 32, of Folsom, Calif., employee of the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jovan Vavic, 57, of Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., former water polo coach at the University of Southern California.

Niki Williams, 44, of Houston, assistant teacher at a Houston high school and test administrator for the College Board and ACT.

Michael Center, 54, of Austin, Texas, head coach of men's tennis at the University of Texas at Austin.

A slew of CEOs charged in alleged college entrance cheating scam

Last edited:
I see firsthand every single day how poverty stricken, disadvantaged and returning adult students work several jobs, apply for scholarships, and scratch every inch of the way to attend the tech school where I work so they can get a decent job to feed their families when they graduate. This whole story makes me sick.

rsbm

I'm having the weirdest gut reaction to this whole scandal. I've never watched the K family's shows and just 'know' (about) them from stuff floating around the internet, but I never had a very high opinion of their lifestyle. They went up quite a few notches on my meter. At least they're doing what they want without holding up appearances with "look at the prestigious college my child/sister/me is in" and just do their thing (whether you're into it or not) and at least they're not cheating (as far as I know :D ). Anyway. MOO lol

ITA. They are what they are and own it proudly. At least Kim has been helping inmates and paying for their legal services. I am not a K family fan at all. But they just went up a few notches in my eyes.

I am actually totally OK with rich people giving large donations to a college in exchange for their kids to go there. As long as its not kept a secret, they have to legitimately graduate, and the money goes to fund the education of kids who actually deserve to be there.

Obviously the current case violates most or all of those conditions but only because there is no legitimate system where you can "donate" the money legally.

Yes but that's not what happens and that's not what happened here at all.

Money donated by the rich to get their undeserving kids into college isn't used for poorer kids' tuition. I've never heard of that. It's to fund things like sports programs and facilities, pay for administrators, new buildings. And I don't think bribery should ever be a means for getting a child into college. That means that we are accepting two systems - one in which the rich can buy whatever they want, without earning it, and one in which more deserving people lose opportunities to make way for those who can bribe their way to a spot.

In any event, in this case, here's what happened:

As Singer told Huffman and Macy, he “controlled” an SAT test center in West Hollywood, California.

Singer had an arrangement where he “bribed the test administrators to allow a third party to take the exams in place of the actual students, to serve as a purported proctor for the exams while providing students with the correct answers, or to review and correct the students’ answers after they completed the exams.”

Singer would pay test administrators $10,000 per student to allow this to happen. He would charge parents between $15,000 and $75,000. Often, the students taking the exam didn’t even know what was going on or that their parents had arranged the alleged fraud. When a nice score came back, they assumed they achieved it honestly.

Singer had a man from Florida who was a standardized testing master. According to the FBI, he could essentially score whatever number was requested, from a perfect 1600 on down.

Huffman and Macy’s daughter had scored only about 1000 on the PSAT, which didn’t bode well for her getting into an elite university.

First, Huffman needed to have their daughter follow the blueprint of gaining “medical documentation” that she suffered from a learning disability that would grant her “extended time” to take the test, even over the course of two days. Once that was done, they could request she take the test at the West Hollywood Test Center that Singer “controlled.”

How Hollywood elites cheated to get their kids into college

Much more at link.

This is outright fraud.

Here are their occupations

Gregory Abbott, 68, of New York, and his wife, Marcia Abbott 59. He is founder and chairman of International Dispensing Corp., a food and beverage packaging company.

Gamal "Aziz" Abdelaziz, 62, of Las Vegas, former president and executive director of Wynn Macau resort.

Diane Blake, 55, of San Francisco, an executive at retail merchandising firm.

Todd Blake, 53, of San Francisco, an entrepreneur and investor.

Jane Buckingham, 50, of Beverly Hills, Calif., CEO of a boutique marketing company Trendera, which has offices in New York and Los Angeles.

Gordon Caplan, 52, of Greenwich, Conn., co-chairman of Willkie Farr, which says it has 700 lawyers in 10 offices in six countries.

I-Hin "Joey" Chen, 64, of Newport Beach, Calif., operates a provider of warehousing and related services for the shipping industry.

Amy Colburn, 59, of Palo Alto, Calif.

Gregory Colburn, 61, of Palo Alto, Calif.

Robert Flaxman, 62, of Laguna Beach, Calif., founder and CEO of real estate development firm Crown Realty & Development.

Mossimo Giannulli, 55, of Los Angeles, fashion designer.

Elizabeth Henriquez, 56, of Atherton, Calif.

Manuel Henriquez, 55, of Atherton, Calif., founder, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital.

Douglas Hodge, 61, of Laguna Beach, Calif., former CEO of Pimco investment management company.

Felicity Huffman, 56, of Los Angeles, actress.

Agustin Huneeus Jr., 53, of San Francisco, owner of a family wine vineyard in Napa Valley.

Bruce Isackson, 61, of Hillsborough, Calif., president of a real estate development firm.

Davina Isackson, 55, of Hillsborough, Calif.

Michelle Janavs, 48, of Newport Coast, Calif., former executive of a large food manufacturer.

Elisabeth Kimmel, 54, of Las Vegas, owner and president of a media company.

Marjorie Klapper, 50, of Menlo Park, Calif., co-owner of jewelry business.

Lori Loughlin, 54, of Los Angeles, actress.

Toby MacFarlane, 56, of Del Mar, Calif., former senior executive at a title insurance company.

William McGlashan Jr., 55, of Mill Valley, Calif., senior executive at TPG private equity firm.

Marci Palatella, 63, of Healdsburg, Calif., CEO of a liquor distribution company.

Peter Jan Sartorio, 53, of Menlo Park, Calif., packaged food entrepreneur.

Stephen Semprevivo, 53, of Los Angeles, executive at privately held provider of outsourced sales teams.

Devin Sloane, 53, of Los Angeles, founder and CEO of provider of drinking and wastewater systems.

John Wilson, 59, of Hyannis Port, Mass., founder and CEO of private equity and real estate development firm.

Homayoun Zadeh, 57, of Calabasas, Calif., an associate professor of dentistry.

Robert Zangrillo, 52, of Miami, founder and CEO of Dragon Global.

William Rick Singer, 58, of Newport Beach, Calif., owner of the Edge College & Career Network and CEO of the Key Worldwide Foundation, was charged in an information with racketeering conspiracy and money laundering.

Mark Riddell, 36, of Palmetto, Fla., was charged in an information with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud as well as conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Rudolph "Rudy" Meredith, 51, of Madison, Conn., former head women's soccer coach at Yale University, was charged in an information with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud.

John Vandemoer, 41, of Stanford, Calif., the former sailing coach at Stanford University, was charged in an information with racketeering conspiracy.

David Sidoo, 59, of Vancouver, Canada, was charged in an indictment with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud. Sidoo was arrested on Friday in San Jose, California, and appeared in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday. A date for his initial appearance in federal court in Boston has not been scheduled.

Igor Dvorskiy, 52, of Sherman Oaks, Calif., director of a private elementary and high school in Los Angeles and a test administrator for the College Board and ACT.

Gordon Ernst, 52, of Chevy Chase, Md., former head coach of men and women's tennis at Georgetown University.

William Ferguson, 48, of Winston-Salem, N.C., former women's volleyball coach at Wake Forest University.

Martin Fox, 62, of Houston, president of a private tennis academy in Houston.

Donna Heinel, 57, of Long Beach, Calif., senior associate athletic director at the University of Southern California.

Laura Janke, 36, of North Hollywood, Calif., former assistant coach of women's soccer at the University of Southern California.

Ali Khoroshahin, 49, of Fountain Valley, Calif., former head coach of women's soccer at the University of Southern California.

Steven Masera, 69, of Folsom, Calif., accountant and financial officer for the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jorge Salcedo, 46, of Los Angeles, former head coach of men's soccer at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Mikaela Sanford, 32, of Folsom, Calif., employee of the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jovan Vavic, 57, of Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., former water polo coach at the University of Southern California.

Niki Williams, 44, of Houston, assistant teacher at a Houston high school and test administrator for the College Board and ACT.

Michael Center, 54, of Austin, Texas, head coach of men's tennis at the University of Texas at Austin.

A slew of CEOs charged in alleged college entrance cheating scam
More impressive list would be something like:

Jane, 18, worked during high school to pay for college. Excited to attend.
Susan, 26, single mom, staring college for first time. Thankful to attend.
David, 20, supporting younger siblings while attending classes as first college student in the family. Honored to attend.
Sam, 25, dropped out the first time in college due to partying, but is back. Ready to attend.
John, 30, wants to advance in his career and knows he needs a degree to do that. Eager to attend.
Sarah, 40, divorced and on her own for the first time. Struggled to pass college algebra, but fellow students studied with her and cheered her on. Scared to attend.
Judy, 35, a nurse in her native country but the credentials didn't transfer here so is getting another degree in USA. Determined to attend.
Tom, 20, transferred from community college. Qualified to attend.

and so on

Anyone else thinking about the trickle down effect of this too. It would be easy to think that each of these students took an elite college place from another single student but if you think of it, the cheater takes a place at the ivy league school so the valid applicant takes their 2nd choice, which is a place that should have been allocated to another valid applicant, so they take their 2nd choice and it goes on and on and ripples all the way down.

I wonder if theres the possibility of a class action by the students wait listed at the Universities or by those who would have gotten the athletic slots that were allocated to the cheaters

I am mad that a bribed-degree from an "elite" school is for some reason considered more impressive than a degree from a state school that was earned honestly.

I hate cheating with a passion. Hate it. Hate it.

jmo

This has been going on for so long.

We average people are totally out of the world where kids fly to the Bahamas for the weekend.

They make all kinds of connections with kids whose parents own multi corporations.

They get jobs because of their connections or they marry into wealthy families.

People think that millionaires are rich. No. There are billionaires who do not even make the list of the world’s richest.

Rules are for stupid people like us.

“This case is about the widening corruption of admission of elite college and universities,” U.S. Attorney Andrew E. Lelling said. “There can be no separate admission system for the wealthy and I will add there will not be a separate justice system.”

Not even in Hollywood

See link in previous post.

More impressive list would be something like:

Jane, 18, worked during high school to pay for college. Excited to attend.
Susan, 26, single mom, staring college for first time. Thankful to attend.

rsbm

rsbm

Right! I was just thinking we should add stories of people who got their degrees against all odds through hard and honest work. But that would clutter up this thread too much. It's getting towards my bedtime where I'm at, but maybe I'll set up a thread tomorrow in a different forum here - or if someone else would like to start it, feel free! Would be great to read about also, IMO.

Anyone else thinking about the trickle down effect of this too. It would be easy to think that each of these students took an elite college place from another single student but if you think of it, the cheater takes a place at the ivy league school so the valid applicant takes their 2nd choice, which is a place that should have been allocated to another valid applicant, so they take their 2nd choice and it goes on and on and ripples all the way down.

I wonder if theres the possibility of a class action by the students wait listed at the Universities or by those who would have gotten the athletic slots that were allocated to the cheaters

Yes, my daughter was on b list at american U dc.

In order to be as fair as possible, seems like college admissions should be 100% blind. No names or identifying characteristics allowed.

I think I agree with this.

As long as it doesn't turn into a lottery, like where I live atm. It doesn't affect me so I don't know the details but it's a literal lottery system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkme