Native American group slams Kardashian mom comment

For the record, the Native Americans I know (including scholars and activists) say they have no problem with the term American Indians. If you disagree, I apologize for my insensitivity.I never thought I'd be defending a Kardashian, but I know from personal experience that sometimes we learn expressions without ever thinking about their literal meanings or connecting the words to living people.

I'm embarrassed to admit I used the expression "to jew someone down" about 20 years ago. As soon as I heard it out loud, it occurred to me what it must mean, but I really hadn't thought about it. The friends present (most of whom happened to be Jewish) graciously accepted my apology.

I think Kardashian should say she's sorry and that should be the end of this.

BBM
I use the term American Indian. I think Russell Means said it best; he is btw fighting for his life, fighting esophageal cancer."Through the years Means continued his activism on behalf of American Indians -- he strongly dislikes the term "Native American" -- ultimately widening his efforts to rally support for indigenous people worldwide."http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/k...Indian.activist.Means.faces.fight.of.his.life

I vehemently dislike the term 'squaw', I find it to be derogatory and vulgar.

What? She said what? Not acceptable. All the more wrong considering she's the "leader" of that family. Isn't she the spokesperson for the clan?

Why oh why oh why would she utter something like that? Why are Native American's still depicted and portrayed in a negative, derogatory light? What makes this O.K.?

JE, thank you for the information. Here in Philadelphia they tried to change our Delaware Avenue to Columbus Boulevard. They only succeded part way. More Native American history needs to be taught to our children and not that cowboy and "indians" stuff.

Indians.:doh::doh::doh:

Here in South Dakota we don't have Columnus Day, we have Native American Day.

Native American Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mrs. Jenner is confused about a gift and a contract. When Kim said" I do" Kim entered into a legal and binding contract. She can't play it's a gift game. I'm sure there was a pre-nup. They were arguing about money before they got married and that is not a way to start out a marriage. I don't think Kris Jenner meant anything derogatory by her statement, but she should apologize.

Mrs. Jenner is confused about a gift and a contract. When Kim said" I do" Kim entered into a legal and binding contract. She can't play it's a gift game. I'm sure there was a pre-nup. They were arguing about money before they got married and that is not a way to start out a marriage. I don't think Kris Jenner meant anything derogatory by her statement, but she should apologize.

I read on TMZ... so you can take it with a grain of salt, but the ring was part of the prenup. If she wants to keep it, she has to pay for it (according to the prenup agreement).

BBM

Stupid is as stupid does....Forrest Gump

As for the 'meant anything'; it is when slurs are ingrained in the vocabulary that it is difficult to counter them. The history of the American Genocide shows that denigration of American Indians has been a long standing practice. There has been progress but, I believe, when something like Jenner's statement rises up it is best to address it. IMHO

BBM

As for the 'meant anyhting'; it is when slurs are ingrained in the vocabulary that it is difficult to counter them. The history of the American Genocide shows that denigration of American Indians has been a long standing practice. There has been progress but, I believe, when something like Jenner's statement rises up it is best to address it. IMHO

Yes, stupid about sums it up. Well, I'd like to add ignorant pig with a herd of ignorant slor daughters. Seriously sickening family.

IMO, JMO and all that jazz.

I read on TMZ... so you can take it with a grain of salt, but the ring was part of the prenup. If she wants to keep it, she has to pay for it (according to the prenup agreement).

'It's all about the Benjamins baby'....Puff Daddy

Amazing how someone can start a career with a sex video and be so successful. [not] :sick:

'It's all about the Benjamins baby'....Puff Daddy

Amazing how someone can start a career with a sex video and be so successful. [not] :sick:

Successful for being peed on . . . ICK! I wish they would fade away!

I will admit when the Kardashians first came on TV I found it interesting to watch. But now this is all 'for the show'. They get plastic surgery, they get a dog, they get chickens, they have a pap test on TV. They hurt and embarrass the people around them. Kris sleeps in the garage and Bruce is so happy when she buys him a model helicopter. Last couple of years it has turned into the lifestyles of the narcissists.

Enough already Kardashaians your 15 minutes are over. Another example of people who don't know when it is time to turn the TV camera's off and get real jobs.

I resent this family, media *advertiser censored*, they don't get how tasteless their bragging about their wealth is.
Look what happened to Marie Antionette? I am utterly disinterested in their highly paid low rent lives.
Get some morals and integrity Kardashian family

I did not agree w the Jenner statement, I even thought to myself then that ooo boy is she ever gonna be in hot water now and wa la! Here it is, on WS! I think everyone with a head thought what an ignorant, childish thing to say. I live in the land of cowboys and indians, yes I said it. Should I say american indian or americanized indian? I am indian, irish and english, so beleive me, I have heard plenty o slurs but I have also considered the source. Am I american indian or americanized indian? Am I american irish or americanized irish? Am I american english or americanized english? The cowboy in this state are cowboy, there are many who have never been out of weston county. However, the mentality of us against them still exists. I was made more aware of this when my dear good good freind Sylvan Strong Heart was beaten and left in the middle of a Hwy on the border of crook and weston county, hit by a car, stood up and plowed over by a semi. The Casper Star Tribune put this on the headline on the front of their paper, "Drunken Indian Killed". I also lived in Custer, S.D. shortly after Russell Means. I changed my location on my profile today and changed it back because I am living it. I beleive that what goes for one, should go for all. In that tone, I do not expect the american or americanized armenian KK to do the right thing and give back that honkin diamond ring, because she wouldnt know what the right thing to do was.

I did not agree w the Jenner statement, I even thought to myself then that ooo boy is she ever gonna be in hot water now and wa la! Here it is, on WS! I think everyone with a head thought what an ignorant, childish thing to say. I live in the land of cowboys and indians, yes I said it. Should I say american indian or americanized indian? I am indian, irish and english, so beleive me, I have heard plenty o slurs but I have also considered the source. Am I american indian or americanized indian? Am I american irish or americanized irish? Am I american english or americanized english? The cowboy in this state are cowboy, there are many who have never been out of weston county. However, the mentality of us against them still exists. I was made more aware of this when my dear good good freind Sylvan Strong Heart was beaten and left in the middle of a Hwy on the border of crook and weston county, hit by a car, stood up and plowed over by a semi. The Casper Star Tribune put this on the headline on the front of their paper, "Drunken Indian Killed". I also lived in Custer, S.D. shortly after Russell Means. I changed my location on my profile today and changed it back because I am living it. I beleive that what goes for one, should go for all. In that tone, I do not expect the american or americanized armenian KK to do the right thing and give back that honkin diamond ring, because she wouldnt know what the right thing to do was. MOO MO JMO JMHO and thinking as i type w my heart.

I did not agree w the Jenner statement, I even thought to myself then that ooo boy is she ever gonna be in hot water now and wa la! Here it is, on WS! I think everyone with a head thought what an ignorant, childish thing to say. I live in the land of cowboys and indians, yes I said it. Should I say american indian or americanized indian? I am indian, irish and english, so beleive me, I have heard plenty o slurs but I have also considered the source. Am I american indian or americanized indian? Am I american irish or americanized irish? Am I american english or americanized english? The cowboy in this state are cowboy, there are many who have never been out of weston county. However, the mentality of us against them still exists. I was made more aware of this when my dear good good freind Sylvan Strong Heart was beaten and left in the middle of a Hwy on the border of crook and weston county, hit by a car, stood up and plowed over by a semi. The Casper Star Tribune put this on the headline on the front of their paper, "Drunken Indian Killed". I also lived in Custer, S.D. shortly after Russell Means. I changed my location on my profile today and changed it back because I am living it. I beleive that what goes for one, should go for all. In that tone, I do not expect the american or americanized armenian KK to do the right thing and give back that honkin diamond ring, because she wouldnt know what the right thing to do was.

BsBM I like human being. :)

Great headline. :rolleyes:

Here in SD, Bill Janklow announced on the weekend that he is dying of a brain tumor. In the newspapers they make him sound as if he were the second coming of Christ but those who remember his Tribal prosecutor days know the real truth. [enuf said....for now] ;)

(respectfully snipped)

I'm embarrassed to admit I used the expression "to jew someone down" about 20 years ago. As soon as I heard it out loud, it occurred to me what it must mean, but I really hadn't thought about it. The friends present (most of whom happened to be Jewish) graciously accepted my apology.

I hadn't even heard the "jewed me down" phrase until I was in high school and I once wondered aloud " How is it spelled? Is it j-e-w-d as in lewd, or j-e-u-d like feud?" My boyfriend looked at me like I was crazy and explained what it meant and how it was spelled. I was horrified and made a mental note to keep it out of my vocabulary.

So, I totally agree, oftentimes people use offensive words or phrases without realizing the origins.

BBM

As for the 'meant anything'; it is when slurs are ingrained in the vocabulary that it is difficult to counter them. The history of the American Genocide shows that denigration of American Indians has been a long standing practice. There has been progress but, I believe, when something like Jenner's statement rises up it is best to address it. IMHO

I agree. That doesn't mean we have to burn offenders at the stake (and Jacie doesn't say we should), but certainly we should speak up until these unfortunate colloquialisms are no longer used by anyone.

As I said above, I might have been the one who thoughtlessly used the phrase "Indian giver" (without even thinking of Native Americans).

But that's less likely now, thanks to this thread.

I agree. That doesn't mean we have to burn offenders at the stake (and Jacie doesn't say we should), but certainly we should speak up until these unfortunate colloquialisms are no longer used by anyone.

As I said above, I might have been the one who thoughtlessly used the phrase "Indian giver" (without even thinking of Native Americans).

But that's less likely now, thanks to this thread.

I still think in Kris Jenner's case it's botox to brain cell ratio deficiency.

As an American Indian whose college double major was anthropology-American Indian Studies and my minor was sociology, I have had the opportunity to study what most are never exposed to.

Well, it's not indian, it would be American Indian or Native American.

I'm of Mescalero Apache decent & do NOT consider myself an indian or Indian = Indians from India, not America. We were misnamed when "found" by the Europeans thinking they had found a new route to India; they had no idea the Western Hemisphere even existed.

I guess it all comes down to the political correctness in society, specifically this Country. I am just glad Kris KarTRASHian Jenner showed her true colors for the whole wide world to see . . . please let them fade away like Paris Hilton.

I still think in Kris Jenner's case it's botox to brain cell ratio deficiency.

As an American Indian whose college double major was anthropology-American Indian Studies and my minor was sociology, I have had the opportunity to study what most are never exposed to.

Well, as someone who called Mrs. Jenner "Ms. Kardashian" for several posts, I can't make fun of anybody's brain cell ratio.

I've never watched any of the Kardashian programs and have no idea why anyone would, but I do know who they are from clips on The Soup. So my bad on the name thing.

Well, it's not indian, it would be American Indian or Native American.

I'm of Mescalero Apache decent & do NOT consider myself an indian or Indian = Indians from India, not America. We were misnamed when "found" by the Europeans thinking they had found a new route to India; they had no idea the Western Hemisphere even existed.

I guess it all comes down to the political correctness in society, specifically this Country. I am just glad Kris KarTRASHian Jenner showed her true colors for the whole wide world to see . . . please let them fade away like Paris Hilton.

In case I wasn't clear before, I believe every group (and every individual) should be allowed to choose their own nomenclature. The Native Americans I know agree with you, so those are the terms I use.

I've changed the terms I use to refer to African Americans several times in my 57 years, and why not? This is not a hardship.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back