NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long this case has gone unsolved. Every tip needs to be checked out, even if it is a incarcerated and there is Covid running through that facility.
Am not sure where to land on what happened to Asha , I pray she is alive today somewhere.MOO

Thank you for responding :)
I did read that too here in this tread.

That’s the thing. Human recollection is triggy. Maybe the neighbor didn’t hear the dogs barking, butthat doesn’t mean they didn’t bark.
The two witnesses on the highway for an example. The one that saw a person, which he actually believed was a grown woman/an adult. When come to knowthe circumstances that a little child is missing in the area, his is doubting his first recollection and somehow it end up that he can place Asha there.
The witness that turned the truck around also believe he had seen her. I read he pass a polygraph. Well of course he did, if he sincerely believe he saw her. That’s just a matter of believe, not actuality.

I really don’t know what to believe. I have concerns that the investigation may be too focused on the highwaysightings and the perhaps the shed.

The torsing of the candywrapping a long the highway and shed for that matter. She seems/or least is portrayed as a wellbehaved kid with a strickt but loving upbringing. Would she be eating candy and just let go of the wrapping as she ate?
False sightings happen all the time. Even by lgood natured well and meaning people. when When Julia Erving (Dr J's) son went missing people said they saw him all over the country
And the whole time, he and his car were I'm a retention pond not far from his house. I just can't get past this young girl going out I'm the dark and cold by herself. I think the police assumed runaway status to soon, and that may have doomed this case. I hope I'm wrong I pray she is found.
Nothing based on facts, but just a strong feeling I have

False sightings happen all the time. Even by lgood natured well and meaning people. when When Julia Erving (Dr J's) son went missing people said they saw him all over the country
And the whole time, he and his car were I'm a retention pond not far from his house. I just can't get past this young girl going out I'm the dark and cold by herself. I think the police assumed runaway status to soon, and that may have doomed this case. I hope I'm wrong I pray she is found.
Nothing based on facts, but just a strong feeling I have
What’s the chances of 2 people getting it wrong given the circumstances? Two completely separate people both come forward and accurately describe a child on the highway in the rain at that time of the night down to her race and the colour of the clothes she was wearing and they are both mistaken or delusional? I can’t accept that. I’ve seen people say “oh they probably were just mistaken and saw a woman out there”. Why would there be a random woman (who just happened to be black and wearing the same colour clothes as Asha was in) walking on a pitch black isolated road in the middle of a torrential rain storm just on the same night that a girl goes missing in that same direction. And how does one mistake a grown woman for a 9 year old child anyway? I’ve even seen people say that both the drivers who spotted her were seeing a mirage because they were tired and on long haul drives. Again what’s the chances of both men having tired eyes and seeing something that wasn’t there? This is just way too much reaching. It’s easier to just assume both men were telling the truth and that they both saw Asha out there

I sympathize with what Eireboy says. There's not much that would drive a little girl into running away from home in the middle of the night during a storm. While I don't think the parents murdered Asha, I think their parenting playing a role in her running away, and it hasn't come to light for several good reasons. For LE, they couldn't prove it and they would have bigger priorities in actually finding Asha, and for the family... would you want the entire country knowing your family's business like that? According to a Redditor who legitimately seemed to be from the area: "The locals have good reason to believe that Asha was a runaway." It wouldn't even have to be an incident that happened that night, maybe she had an intense nightmare over something that happened in the past. The brother seems to have turned out just fine and it's very possible that Asha's tragedy scared the parent(s) straight.

My issue with the grooming theory is the logistics of it. It's very high-risk to bank on a very sheltered 9-year old girl from a stable family going out in the middle of the night to meet you up the highway on foot. The only way it could be likely if it was a teen who did it: like they had to wait until night time to sneak the family's car out and was too nervous to actually park at the house. Even so that theory has a lot of moving parts. Did he dispose of her and make it home in time? Did she run away and get abducted, and the teen never told anyone out of fear? It's just not likely...

She was likely abducted though. The FBI is being very odd and particular about the evidence they're releasing, not even clarifying if the DNA samples they got from the backpack are any good. They likely have good reason to believe she was alive for some time after her disappearance, and just didn't wanna publicize that to avoid tipping off potential suspects. At this point though, she is likely dead.

I did read a post about how it might be a cover-up by someone at LE, but I don't know, I would need to see if the evidence is actually good.

I sympathize with what Eireboy says. There's not much that would drive a little girl into running away from home in the middle of the night during a storm. While I don't think the parents murdered Asha, I think their parenting playing a role in her running away, and it hasn't come to light for several good reasons. For LE, they couldn't prove it and they would have bigger priorities in actually finding Asha, and for the family... would you want the entire country knowing your family's business like that? According to a Redditor who legitimately seemed to be from the area: "The locals have good reason to believe that Asha was a runaway." It wouldn't even have to be an incident that happened that night, maybe she had an intense nightmare over something that happened in the past. The brother seems to have turned out just fine and it's very possible that Asha's tragedy scared the parent(s) straight.

My issue with the grooming theory is the logistics of it. It's very high-risk to bank on a very sheltered 9-year old girl from a stable family going out in the middle of the night to meet you up the highway on foot. The only way it could be likely if it was a teen who did it: like they had to wait until night time to sneak the family's car out and was too nervous to actually park at the house. Even so that theory has a lot of moving parts. Did he dispose of her and make it home in time? Did she run away and get abducted, and the teen never told anyone out of fear? It's just not likely...

She was likely abducted though. The FBI is being very odd and particular about the evidence they're releasing, not even clarifying if the DNA samples they got from the backpack are any good. They likely have good reason to believe she was alive for some time after her disappearance, and just didn't wanna publicize that to avoid tipping off potential suspects. At this point though, she is likely dead.

I did read a post about how it might be a cover-up by someone at LE, but I don't know, I would need to see if the evidence is actually good.
Even if the two eyewitnesses are correct in what they are saying, it still doesn’t rule out her parents being behind her disappearance. Maybe they were doing something bad to her and she decided that she has to leave. Her Father could have easily done something to her on the road. There has been no evidence to connect anyone else to Asha. All we think we are sure of is that she was seen alone on the road. If there was outside suspects, I believe after 20 years something would have come out. Sadistic child predators don’t stat quiet, but abusive child neglecting parents do keep quiet. The Father Harold has no solid alibi and the mother doesn’t seem like she has it all together if you ask me. Her parents need to be scrutinised, people seem afraid to even question them on anything.

There's a transcription of the 911 call here: http://www.webbsleuths.com/cgi-bin/dcf/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=249&forum=MC

"Father: (gives phone number) The next door neighbor said she went down the road and said she just seen a kid down the road. (crying continues in background) "

The neighbor could've thought it wasn't any of their business. Especially since it was storming and if they didn't have the family's number they might've not wanted to bother with it. Neglectful and selfish, yeah. But that's not uncommon sadly. I think if either party were lying then they would've been treated as suspects.

Last edited:
There's a transcription of the 911 call here: http://www.webbsleuths.com/cgi-bin/dcf/dcboard.cgi?az=printer_format&om=249&forum=MC

"Father: (gives phone number) The next door neighbor said she went down the road and said she just seen a kid down the road. (crying continues in background) "

The neighbor could've thought it wasn't any of their business. Especially since it was storming and if they didn't have the family's number they might've not wanted to bother with it. Neglectful and selfish, yeah. But that's not uncommon sadly. I think if either party were lying then they would've been treated as suspects.
I would love to know whereabouts they said they were walking and at what time as well, Cause according to the Truckers Asha was a mile away from her house at around 03:45, so that means that the Neighbour was going down the road some time before 03:45 am. What were they doing outside in a storm in the middle of the night. I was thinking that the Neighbour saw her through the window, the fact they were outside when they spotted her is pretty shocking really. Poor Asha never stood a chance when these people who could have helped her couldn’t spot danger if it smacked them in the face

Asha was last seen wearing a white shirt and the New Kids on the Block T-shirt/nightshirt that was found in her buried backpack was white. Could that have been the shirt she left the house wearing?

Asha’s mom mentioned that a favorite pair of jeans that Asha owned were missing from the house. She described the jeans as having a red stripe. The New Kids on the Block shirt has a red trim/stripe on the edge.

Half truths? Unintentional slip? Total coincidence? Me trying to hard to make a connection where none exists?

Asha was last seen wearing a white shirt and the New Kids on the Block T-shirt/nightshirt that was found in her buried backpack was white. Could that have been the shirt she left the house wearing?

Asha’s mom mentioned that a favorite pair of jeans that Asha owned were missing from the house. She described the jeans as having a red stripe. The New Kids on the Block shirt has a red trim/stripe on the edge.

Half truths? Unintentional slip? Total coincidence? Me trying to hard to make a connection where none exists?
You could be onto something there

Was just thinking about the timeline from the time Asha’s Mother got up at 05:30 to the time she went into the Bedroom to wake up the kids. She went into wake them up just before 06:30. What was she doing for more than a half hour before she went to wake them ip I wonder.

She was probably just taking a while to get ready, doing her make up and the like. Not entirely uncommon for a housewife

I had a thought, assuming the groomer theory is true, what if Asha had made the trip down the highway before? A lot of people (even me) find the fact that she went out into the night when it was storming to be very difficult to believe, but if she in fact snuck out before, it would be more believable. It would just be another trip to that person's house, just more wet and cold.

Parents only know their kids so much, and she's at that age where she could hide stuff from adults. I wonder if her parents have looked back and realized something was off and just haven't told the public. LE seems insistent on keeping this case very close to their chest.

She was probably just taking a while to get ready, doing her make up and the like. Not entirely uncommon for a housewife

I had a thought, assuming the groomer theory is true, what if Asha had made the trip down the highway before? A lot of people (even me) find the fact that she went out into the night when it was storming to be very difficult to believe, but if she in fact snuck out before, it would be more believable. It would just be another trip to that person's house, just more wet and cold.

Parents only know their kids so much, and she's at that age where she could hide stuff from adults. I wonder if her parents have looked back and realized something was off and just haven't told the public. LE seems insistent on keeping this case very close to their chest.
If she was going regularly to someones place, then it would have to be somebody local and the suspects would be easy to find. I think if she was taken it would more than likely would have been by an opportunistic outsider

If she was going regularly to someones place, then it would have to be somebody local and the suspects would be easy to find. I think if she was taken it would more than likely would have been by an opportunistic outsider
She had family that lived nearby. Her grandmother I think. Days prior she attended a sleepover with her older cousins that might have been held there. This is off the top of my head so forgive me if some details are slightly off. The cousins were in their teens.

She had family that lived nearby. Her grandmother I think. Days prior she attended a sleepover with her older cousins that might have been held there. This is off the top of my head so forgive me if some details are slightly off. The cousins were in their teens.
I have read the same information. The sleepover could be vital to case. If her cousins were older, well then Asha would have been eager for them to like her and maybe would have doing what they told her to do. Its just another possibility.

I have read the same information. The sleepover could be vital to case. If her cousins were older, well then Asha would have been eager for them to like her and maybe would have doing what they told her to do. Its just another possibility.
I agree! I almost wonder if one of them had a secret adult boyfriend that they wouldn't tell police about. If interviewed now would that come up? Maybe a new guy was briefly dating one of their Mom's/Mom (don't remember if they were siblings). Could the NKOTB shirt be theirs or someone else's at the sleepover? The book the same that Asha was turning in for one of the sleepover attendees? The thing that doesnt add up is if she was going to that house nearby why was she seen on the highway? Where was her getting into that car witnessed? Was she let out at some point? There are so sooo many questions surrounding Asha's case.

I agree! I almost wonder if one of them had a secret adult boyfriend that they wouldn't tell police about. If interviewed now would that come up? Maybe a new guy was briefly dating one of their Mom's/Mom (don't remember if they were siblings). Could the NKOTB shirt be theirs or someone else's at the sleepover? The book the same that Asha was turning in for one of the sleepover attendees? The thing that doesnt add up is if she was going to that house nearby why was she seen on the highway? Where was her getting into that car witnessed? Was she let out at some point? There are so sooo many questions surrounding Asha's case.
I think she was running away from something in the house and didn’t have a pre determined destination in mind. Your right there are more questions than answers in this case. I think that unless someone talks then this case ain’t going to be solved. The NKOTB shirt would only be from the sleepover if someone at it was involved in her disappearance cause if not someone would have said it was their shirt.

Maybe a new guy was briefly dating one of their Mom's/Mom (don't remember if they were siblings). Could the NKOTB shirt be theirs....

I think this is very possible.

Likewise, I think it is important to note that NKOTB had faded out several years prior to the victim's disappearance and had been replaced by newer and ohh so cuter boy bands. To 'tween girls, NKOTB's fade out was a life time ago.

Moving forward to your possibility.....

An mid twenties to late thirties "new guy" and friend of the extended family would equate tween girls as being interested in boy bands, but most likely would not know or care who was "in" and who had been "out".

Thus, if he wanted to befriend or groom a 'tween, he could gift her with a boy band shirt obtained from a relative, bought at a thrift store or swap meet. Since he is not truly into tween lifestyles, he then give her the first boy band shirt he found with little care that the band may have faded.

Likewise, as the missing girl had limited social contacts outside school, church or family, the "new guy" possibility could also be extended to:

- Church members (though a youth minster would probably know that NKOTB's star had fallen and obtain the latest boy band gear as a gift.

- School employees. Not so much teachers (more likely to know of NKTOB's predicament, but more say, custodians who could equate tweens with boy band,- but know the latest one.

Likewise, though a female perpertrator is less likely, could say a female librarian, lunch lady or secretary become fixated on Asha as being "perfect", provided a gift of a pase boy band and arranged a meeting? Were any staff members approaching middle age childless with regrets, or were younger, but were having trouble conceiving? If so, did one show unusual interest in Asha?

The NKOTB shirt would only be from the sleepover if someone at it was involved in her disappearance cause if not someone would have said it was their shirt.
With the NKOTB shirt all we know is it was found in the bag at the construction site and that her mom claimed it wasn't hers. We don't know the origins of the shirt and it is possible that it isn't related to the perpetrator. It could be as innocent as she spilled something on her pajamas at the sleepover and someone let her borrow the shirt and she pull it in her bag when she changed to go home not thinking about it.

Also of note, being that this detail just now emerged the original owner of the shirt possibly doesn't remember giving it to her, has moved away, or is deceased.

I wonder why they didn't release the shirt and book from the beginning when this detail would be fresh in their memory.

I fully agree that unless someone talks then this case most likely won't be solved. Someone has to know something. Hope that prisoners claims are credible.

I think this is very possible.

Likewise, I think it is important to note that NKOTB had faded out several years prior to the victim's disappearance and had been replaced by newer and ohh so cuter boy bands. To 'tween girls, NKOTB's fade out was a life time ago.

Moving forward to your possibility.....

An mid twenties to late thirties "new guy" and friend of the extended family would equate tween girls as being interested in boy bands, but most likely would not know or care who was "in" and who had been "out".

Thus, if he wanted to befriend or groom a 'tween, he could gift her with a boy band shirt obtained from a relative, bought at a thrift store or swap meet. Since he is not truly into tween lifestyles, he then give her the first boy band shirt he found with little care that the band may have faded.

Likewise, as the missing girl had limited social contacts outside school, church or family, the "new guy" possibility could also be extended to:

- Church members (though a youth minster would probably know that NKOTB's star had fallen and obtain the latest boy band gear as a gift.

- School employees. Not so much teachers (more likely to know of NKTOB's predicament, but more say, custodians who could equate tweens with boy band,- but know the latest one.

Likewise, though a female perpertrator is less likely, could say a female librarian, lunch lady or secretary become fixated on Asha as being "perfect", provided a gift of a pase boy band and arranged a meeting? Were any staff members approaching middle age childless with regrets, or were younger, but were having trouble conceiving? If so, did one show unusual interest in Asha?
I think regarding the shirt it may help if they released the size and if it was in a kids, juniors, or women's size. I think it's an interesting take on if the perp gifted the shirt to her. I just realized I worded my post like a doofus (oops). I really was referring to if it was one of her cousins shirts but realize now I didn't clarify that. I think her cousin's were in the age range of 12-15 years old. NKOTB disbanded in 1994 six years earlier. If it was the oldest cousins shirt she would have been nine or so at the end of their popularity. I had an Nsync shirt at 9 years old myself.

Regarding it as a gift, that is a interesting take. It makes sense for someone to not know the difference when it comes to boy bands. My Dad is like that with metal. To him it's all just 'rough stuff' and no matter what it is he thinks I must like it.

With Asha getting kidnapped to be raised a la Carlita White. I never thought of that before! At this point we can only hope this is the case. But why bury the book bag? And since she's over 18 wouldn't she have trouble getting a license/ job background checks without using her SS#? Wouldn't she come forward after discovering she's a missing person? Once again, so many questions!

As to the origins of the possible perp, she was also really active in basketball. Another thing she did in the days leading up to her disappearance. Could be a coach, teammate's parent, etc. A theory I have made in the past is it could be someone with knowledge of her lost basketball game. Maybe they offered to give her lessons or practice with her. I do agree with @Eireboy though that it is possible she had no pre-set destination. It actually makes the most sense that way since how would she wake herself up on her own when she did leave in the middle of the night, especially if meeting someone at a set time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled