GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reporter says in his twitter replies that he is usually a sports reporter and it's his first court case. Thrown in at the deep end a bit!

I would say 'don't give up your day job'.

"What was the original story tM gave to police re bat? Its in the warrants, but need exact original story? does anybody remember?I know theres millions of stories.. Did he not tell them he purchased a new bat, or not? "

The original story was it belonged to TM's son and he brought it for Jack to replace the one he had as this was a bigger size. So the story changed to a purchased bat and then changed again. Has is lawyer lied so?? He said TM purchased the bat!

This is highly insulting

Mr Fitzpatrick lived an unblemished life and died a man his family and commmunity could point to with pride.

TM may find this "hard to understand", but he will die a divisive figure and to many of us, a moral disgrace, unfit to ever compare himself to a better man like Mr Fitzpatrick.

With regards to the baseball bat that TM claims that he took from his home as it was one that his son used when he was young. Now I am not sure of the ages of his boys but guessing between 30 & 40. So is he saying that the bat is at the very least 20 years old? Surely this can be clarified, can't imagine that those made 20 odd years ago look like the one made in the past few years.

Early in the investigation into Jason Paul Corbett's death, his wife, Molly Martens Corbett, and his father in-law, Thomas Martens admitted to Davidson County Sheriffs Detectives that they struck Jason Corbett in the head with a concrete paving brick and an aluminum baseball bat. Thomas Martens advised Detectives that the baseball bat used to assault Jason Corbett was brought to the 160 Panther Creek Ct. residence on the night of the assault by Thomas Martens. Thomas Martens indicated that he brought the baseball bat to the residence as a gift to his step* grandson, Jack Corbett, but the assault on his son in-law, Jason Corbett, occurred before Thomas Martens could give the baseball bat to his step-grandson.
Deputies from the Davidson County Sheriffs Crime Scene and Evidence Unit, inspected and processed the crime scene located at 160 Panther Creek Ct. on August 2, 2015. One of the items collected by the Crime Scene Detectives was a child's aluminum baseball bat which appeared to be covered in wet and dried blood. The baseball bat also had what appeared to be human hair attached to the barrel of the bat. The baseball bat was black and red in color with black rubber hand grips on the base. During the course of the investigation into the death of Jason Paul Corbett, Detectives with the Davidson County Sheriff's Office have had several conversations with members of Jason Corbett's immediate family, to include his sisters and brothers. His sister, Tracy Lynch, was granted guardianship and custody of Jason Corbett's 2 minor children in a custody matter heard in Davidson County Courts. Recently, in a conversation with David and Tracy Lynch, Detectives learned that Jason Corbett's two children are involved in grief counseling in Ireland to assist them with adjusting to the loss of their father. Davidson County Sheriffs Detectives learned during their conversation with the Lynch family that Jason Corbett's son, Jack, shared information with his grief counselor, about a baseball bat his step-grandfather had given him. David Lynch advised Detectives during their recent conversation, that Jack shared with his grief counselor that Thomas Martens had given him a baseball bat last summer and that Jack used that baseball bat to play on his baseball team in North Carolina. David Lynch further advised Detectives that Jack had also shared with his counselor that he keeps his baseball equipment to include the baseball bat his step-grandfather gave him in a black sports equipment bag in the garage of their Winston-Salem home. David Lynch told Detectives that he asked Jack about what he had shared with the grief counselor and Jack told him that the baseball bat Thomas Martens gave him was a black and red bat with black grips. Additionally, during the course of this investigation, Detectives with the Davidson County Sheriffs Office have viewed photographs of Jack Corbett with baseball equipment which were put on public view by Molly Martens Corbett, via internet social media websites to include Facebook. Based on the aforementioned information, I have probable cause to believe that the baseball bat used to assault Jason Paul Corbett may have come from the sports equipment bag used by Jack Corbett and stored in the garage of the 160 Panther Creek Ct. residence. Additionally, I have probable cause to believe that photographs of Jack Corbett using and possessing a baseball bat similar in appearance to the baseball bat used to assault his father are located and stored inside the residence. Those photographs may be actual physical photographs or stored as digital files on computers, computer devices, or other digital storage devices or media. I respectfully request that the court issue a search warrant for the 160 Panther Creek Ct. residence and any items seized

p91 /92
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...db6a63.pdf.pdf

[video=twitter;893507944976928769]https://twitter.com/lexdispatchbc/status/893507944976928769[/video]

With regards to the baseball bat that TM claims that he took from his home as it was one that his son used when he was young. Now I am not sure of the ages of his boys but guessing between 30 & 40. So is he saying that the bat is at the very least 20 years old? Surely this can be clarified, can't imagine that those made 20 odd years ago look like the one made in the past few years.

Frisby, you made some great points!

Early in the investigation into Jason Paul Corbett's death, his wife, Molly Martens Corbett, and his father in-law, Thomas Martens admitted to Davidson County Sheriffs Detectives that they struck Jason Corbett in the head with a concrete paving brick and an aluminum baseball bat. Thomas Martens advised Detectives that the baseball bat used to assault Jason Corbett was brought to the 160 Panther Creek Ct. residence on the night of the assault by Thomas Martens. Thomas Martens indicated that he brought the baseball bat to the residence as a gift to his step* grandson, Jack Corbett, but the assault on his son in-law, Jason Corbett, occurred before Thomas Martens could give the baseball bat to his step-grandson.
Deputies from the Davidson County Sheriffs Crime Scene and Evidence Unit, inspected and processed the crime scene located at 160 Panther Creek Ct. on August 2, 2015. One of the items collected by the Crime Scene Detectives was a child's aluminum baseball bat which appeared to be covered in wet and dried blood. The baseball bat also had what appeared to be human hair attached to the barrel of the bat. The baseball bat was black and red in color with black rubber hand grips on the base. During the course of the investigation into the death of Jason Paul Corbett, Detectives with the Davidson County Sheriff's Office have had several conversations with members of Jason Corbett's immediate family, to include his sisters and brothers. His sister, Tracy Lynch, was granted guardianship and custody of Jason Corbett's 2 minor children in a custody matter heard in Davidson County Courts. Recently, in a conversation with David and Tracy Lynch, Detectives learned that Jason Corbett's two children are involved in grief counseling in Ireland to assist them with adjusting to the loss of their father. Davidson County Sheriffs Detectives learned during their conversation with the Lynch family that Jason Corbett's son, Jack, shared information with his grief counselor, about a baseball bat his step-grandfather had given him. David Lynch advised Detectives during their recent conversation, that Jack shared with his grief counselor that Thomas Martens had given him a baseball bat last summer and that Jack used that baseball bat to play on his baseball team in North Carolina. David Lynch further advised Detectives that Jack had also shared with his counselor that he keeps his baseball equipment to include the baseball bat his step-grandfather gave him in a black sports equipment bag in the garage of their Winston-Salem home. David Lynch told Detectives that he asked Jack about what he had shared with the grief counselor and Jack told him that the baseball bat Thomas Martens gave him was a black and red bat with black grips. Additionally, during the course of this investigation, Detectives with the Davidson County Sheriffs Office have viewed photographs of Jack Corbett with baseball equipment which were put on public view by Molly Martens Corbett, via internet social media websites to include Facebook. Based on the aforementioned information, I have probable cause to believe that the baseball bat used to assault Jason Paul Corbett may have come from the sports equipment bag used by Jack Corbett and stored in the garage of the 160 Panther Creek Ct. residence. Additionally, I have probable cause to believe that photographs of Jack Corbett using and possessing a baseball bat similar in appearance to the baseball bat used to assault his father are located and stored inside the residence. Those photographs may be actual physical photographs or stored as digital files on computers, computer devices, or other digital storage devices or media. I respectfully request that the court issue a search warrant for the 160 Panther Creek Ct. residence and any items seized

p91 /92
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...db6a63.pdf.pdf

Remember on FB, Molly accused the Lynches of taking her sports photos of the children. Dec. 23,2015.

She mentions the baseball pictures.

I thought, he said, I felt
"I hit him until I thought that he could not kill me," Mr Martens said.
"He said he was going to kill Molly."

"I actually felt he was going to kill me.

Translation.. I used my judgement and I used my instinct
and I never expected there would be consequences..

This is highly insulting
What would TM know about the real fruits of education?? It obviously did nothing for his own Character and integrity. <modsnip> keep digging TM! The dying sting of the wasp!!!!!!!! IMO.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ng-jason-corbett-with-metal-bat-36001205.html

Again I'm left wondering why SM didn't phone 911 when her husband felt the need to grab a bat to intervene in the altercation upstairs.

Again, its hard with the reporting but to me his testimony reads like a collection of 'key' words, like he has been coached - 'He was really angry' 'I was really scared' ... this does not sound in any way emotive IMO.

And if Molly was screaming at Jason, why did no-one else wake up?

I hope they followed up on this!

I am no expert on baseball, in fact I know little about it but even the type face or colours you would expect to be different. I found the following article which details some lawsuits in the late '90 about bats and also in 1999 the dimensions of bats actually changed. Surely the prosecution will have checked out if they can date the bat. http://www.startribune.com/a-look-back-at-aluminum-bats-8-years-ago/67614742/

Deputies from the Davidson County Sheriffs Crime Scene and Evidence Unit, inspected and processed the crime scene located at 160 Panther Creek Ct. on August 2, 2015. One of the items collected by the Crime Scene Detectives was a child's aluminum baseball bat which appeared to be covered in wet and dried blood. The baseball bat also had what appeared to be human hair attached to the barrel of the bat.

pg 91-93

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e5-80a2-cb827408349b/568fd60db6a63.pdf.pdf

Would the changes in dimensions apply to a child's baseball bat?

pg 91-93

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...-11e5-80a2-cb827408349b/568fd60db6a63.pdf.pdf

Would the changes in dimensions apply to a child's baseball bat?

I have no idea, my knowledge of baseball and bats is zero. But surely the item can be dated, we are not talking about a few years, TM said it belonged to one of his sons so given the size, he is claiming that it is at least 20 years old if not older. We don't know if JC(jn) bat was ever found. Tried to see if there was some pictures of bats from 20 odd years ago to compare with ones available now but with no avail. Also, the bat given to JC(jn) the previous year was also given to him by TM.

I have no idea, my knowledge of baseball and bats is zero. But surely the item can be dated, we are not talking about a few years, TM said it belonged to one of his sons so given the size, he is claiming that it is at least 20 years old if not older. We don't know if JC(jn) bat was ever found. Tried to see if there was some pictures of bats from 20 odd years ago to compare with ones available now but with no avail. Also, the bat given to JC(jn) the previous year was also given to him by TM.

I think the bat will come up again in the prosecution's rebuttal.

I think the jury must find Martens' testimony as unconvincing as I do. He struck Jason numerous times until Jason got control of the bat and then Martens regained control? And the whole time Jason was hanging on to Molly while choking her? That is not believable. :rolleyes:

The only interesting thing about Martens' testimony is that it is the first time we are hearing someone try to outline a step-by-step scenario of the how the killing occurred. And it is not convincing.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ng-jason-corbett-with-metal-bat-36001205.html

...Mr Martens said he repeatedly struck Mr Corbett with the baseball bat but, at one point, Mr Corbett shoved him away and managed to grab the bat.

Mr Martens said he jumped back up off the floor and rushed Mr Corbett.
Somehow, he said he managed to regain control of the bat from the younger man...

When the prosecution presented their case, they avoided outlining a specific blow-by-blow account of the killing. I think they were hoping that Martens would take the stand and do so and that his account would not sound believable. Martens has done exactly what the prosecution was hoping for.

I think the jury must find Martens' testimony as unconvincing as I do. He struck Jason numerous times until Jason got control of the bat and then Martens regained control? And the whole time Jason was hanging on to Molly while choking her? That is not believable. :rolleyes:

The only interesting thing about Martens' testimony is that it is the first time we are hearing someone try to outline a step-by-step scenario of the how the killing occurred. And it is not convincing.

...Mr Martens said he repeatedly struck Mr Corbett with the baseball bat but, at one point, Mr Corbett shoved him away and managed to grab the bat.

Somehow, he said he managed to regain control of the bat from the younger man...

When the prosecution presented their case, they avoided outlining a specific blow-by-blow account of the killing. I think they were hoping that Martens would take the stand and do so and that his account would not sound believable. Martens has done exactly what the prosecution was hoping for.

Totally agree and as pointed out by others if Tom had control of the situation why did Molly need to use the paver .

If Jason has the bat, why doesn't he hit anyone? TM is down on the floor, shoved scross the room..giving JC time to swing before he "jumps up."

But nothing.

Silly story.

They were in complete control the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500