NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can spin it however they want to for their schadenfreude. There are so many egregious instances of whites with guns that threaten LE or kill lots of people such as Roof and Holmes that live.

After awhile, one begins to wonder if black lives matter,

I never wondered if my white teenage son would be blown away by police. I never wondered if my white husband will be blown away by police.

I imagine that is the fear of blacks and Natives,

I don't think the facts support that though Human.http://killedbypolice.net/

A lot times it is up to the person whether he/she is shot and killed by cops. If there is a confrontation, if they refuse to comply to simple commands or pulls a firearm intending to shoot the officers or even does fire shots at the officers. It is all centered around the circumstances of each case at the time and not collectively. If they peacefully surrender or comply to the request of the officers then their chances of being shot go way way way down.

Hundreds of white t----/criminals/offenders are shot and killed every year by police officers and rightly so. They brought it on themselves. There really is very few circumstances where the shooting was unjustified.

People can spin it however they want to for their schadenfreude. There are so many egregious instances of whites with guns that threaten LE or kill lots of people such as Roof and Holmes that live.

After awhile, one begins to wonder if black lives matter,

I never wondered if my white teenage son would be blown away by police. I never wondered if my white husband will be blown away by police.

I imagine that is the fear of blacks and Natives,

Last month:

White Man in California Shoots at Cops With Gun, Gets Shot With Beanbags and Arrested

Protesting is not accurate for what I witnessed. Many of those I saw were not protesting...they were vandalizing and attempting to harm passing vehicles. I wish the news would report it using politically incorrect terms. When you have a right, you have responsibilities to utilize that right in a proper way. I heard chants against "whitey". There are some who are trying to protest in a peaceful way to get a message across, but most of what I saw last night was an angry mob using this as a way to loot, vandalize, and yell and attack others with little fear of consequences. But, these are the minority, and do not, IMO, speak or act for the Queen City as a whole.
Charlotte is a great city, and my home. It hurts my heart to see people feel like their lives do not matter in 2016. We have come so far, but still aren't where we need to be.

Which is exactly why I thought there should be two threads. Rioting is a different subject. Part of the same picture, but Keith was murdered and that's a separate topic.

Charlotte, North Carolina, police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott: what we know

Protests turned violent shortly after police shot and killed a black man. Police claim he was armed. A woman said that he was reading a book.

According to police, officers were looking for a suspect with an outstanding warrant near the University of North Carolina in Charlotte, the Washington Post reported. They saw Keith Lamont Scott — a 43-year-old black man who wasn’t the suspect — get out of his car with what they said was a handgun, before he got back into the vehicle. Officers approached. Scott allegedly emerged again with a firearm, posing what police called "an imminent deadly threat."

In a Facebook Live video, a woman saying she was Scott’s daughter claimed that Scott was simply sitting in his car, reading a book and waiting for a school bus to drop off his son, when officers shot him. She also claimed that Scott was unarmed, and that he was disabled.

The shooting is just the latest of many police killings to draw scrutiny, with the Tulsa, Oklahoma, police shooting of Terence Crutcher garnering national headlines this week after an officer shot and killed an unarmed black man. To critics, these shootings are yet more examples of the vast racial disparities in police use of force.

An analysis of the available FBI data by Vox’s Dara Lind shows that US police kill black people at disproportionate rates: They accounted for 31 percent of police killing victims in 2012, even though they made up just 13 percent of the US population. Although the data is incomplete, since it’s based on voluntary reports from police agencies around the country, it highlights the vast disparities in how police use force.

More...

A public records search shows that Scott was convicted in April 2004 of a misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon charge in Mecklenburg County. Other charges stemming from that date were dismissed: felony assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, and misdemeanors assault on a child under 12, assault on a female and communicating threats.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article103009432.html

Even if he had a legal permit, and even if NC has open carry, IF he had a gun IN HIS HAND and did not comply when the officer ordered him to let go/ put it down, he has to follow that lawful order. Period, end of story.

If you have a gun in your hand, and do not immediately comply with the lawful orders of a police officer (regardless of your permit status), you can, and likely WILL be shot to death. That's just a fact.

It's elementary, yet not for all.

Police Say It’s Unclear if Charlotte Man Pointed Gun Before Shooting

Police in Charlotte, North Carolina, said they gave Keith Lamont Scott "loud, clear, verbal commands" to not exit his vehicle and drop his weapon before they fatally shot him on Tuesday. But it's still unclear whether the man actually pointed the gun at the officers, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Chief Kerr Putney.

Scott's family has said he was not armed and was holding a book while waiting for his son to be dropped off from school. Putney told reporters at a news conference today that Scott was holding a handgun, which investigators recovered from the scene, and posed a threat because he was not obeying police orders.

I'm curious about the gun. People have been shot when LEOs saw weapons that weren't there - a wallet, a cell phone, etc., - could they have mistaken a book for a gun?

Nearly every one of these cases lately are about a person who has a gun in their hand, and DOES NOT follow the lawful orders of a police officer. IMO, there seems to be a serious, deep, and pervasive lack of respect for the authority of a police officer. Why is that, I wonder? We ALL have to follow the lawful orders of police. All of us, no matter what color, race, or ethnicity.

The only case I can think of lately that doesn't fit this pattern is Charles Kinsey (the care attendant of the autistic man with the toy truck). His is the only case in memory that I feel is very clearly wrong behavior on the part of police. The rest of these shootings by police are justified by the actions of the suspect/ person, IMO. (Don't know yet about the Kansas situation.)

The rioting and looting have to stop. This is not any kind of lawful protest. There is a desperate need for these rioting and looting situations to be dealt with swiftly and authoritatively. Many citizens are waiting for our elected officials to grow a backbone and deal with the riots using whatever force is necessary to restore the peace. Including using National Guard assets, and escalating control measures. This simply cannot continue. It can't. The US cannot devolve into anarchy, violence, and riots every time some group is disgruntled. This is not America, or American values. It's like a third world banana republic on US soil every time these riots break out, IMO. We are better than this kind of anarchy. Way better. This has to stop.

A public records search shows that Scott was convicted in April 2004 of a misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon charge in Mecklenburg County. Other charges stemming from that date were dismissed: felony assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, and misdemeanors assault on a child under 12, assault on a female and communicating threats.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article103009432.html

Well, this guy was a real, ticking time bomb, IMO. It was just a matter of time. Situation makes even more sense when you hear his priors.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...103009432.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeWCNC/status/778611112023617537
Appears that race is the issue for some. They don't even believe the cop who shot him was black. This makes me think that it's not LE vs. black lives, it's a race thing for some, but of course not all.

Right, Black police officer shots black man and the people of charlotte are being told to boycott white businesses by bj murphy a nation of islam supporter. Makes no sense to me. jmo

Scott’s family tell a different story to the official police line.

They claim he was reading a book in his car moments before he was killed, as he waited for his son to be dropped off by the school bus.

And they say the “great man and great father” – who waited there every day for his son after school – was disabled.

His brother also claimed to local media the officer who shot him was undercover in plainclothes – a detail police have yet to confirm or deny.

Charlotte’s Mayor Jennifer Roberts tweeted that “the community deserves answers” over the killing, as she appealed for calm on the streets.

Imagine getting off the school bus to find your father dead at the hands of law enforcement.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18234...charlotte-shooting-protests-disabled-unarmed/

The professional agitators are calling for a boycott on white businesses. The police officer that fired the shots was African American. Interesting.

It's elementary, yet not for all.

I really, seriously ponder why some people just can't "get it". Why they are so driven to confrontation with police officers, why they seem to feel they have a "right" to disrespect, antagonize, and disobey all forms of authority, and laws.

It seems to me that their own "lives" don't "matter", even to themselves.

The professional agitators are calling for a boycott on white businesses. The police officer that fired the shots was African American. Interesting.

Facts and evidence never seem to matter to these agitators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther