Found Safe NC - Kristin Glass, 43, Topsail, 6 October 2020

From the Heavy article posted earlier:

At about 6 p.m., Glass’s boyfriend SW called her cellphone and it was answered by a man who said he found it at around 3:30 or 4 p.m. by a garbage can in Topsail Beach.

The location is not off Hwy 17, but in the southern part of Topsail island.

I read the Heavy article but I’m not seeing where in that article it says the phone was found on the south end of Topsail Island?

Maybe that is from another news source?

You could stop at a gas station in Top Sail right on Hwy 17, throw your phone out the window, and it would still be ‘her phone found next to a trash can in Topsail beach’.

Also from the Heavy article, quoting her friends:

...her family became concerned when she didn’t return home by 5 p.m. At about 6 p.m., Glass’s boyfriend SW called her cellphone and it was answered by a man who said he found it at around 3:30 or 4 p.m...

Did she live with her family or her boyfriend? When did the family become aware that she was unreachable? Did they try to call her after 5pm? By that time her phone was already in the finder's possession, so he would have answered.

I read the Heavy article but I’m not seeing where in that article it says the phone was found on the south end of Topsail Island?

Maybe that is from another news source?

You could stop at a gas station in Top Sail right on Hwy 17, throw your phone out the window, and it would still be ‘her phone found next to a trash can in Topsail beach’.
I'm not from the area at all, but when I google Topsail Beach, I get an area (beach with a capital b) covering the southern part of the Topsail island.

Attachments

• topsail-beach.jpg
    topsail-beach.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm not from the area at all, but when I Google Topsail Beach, I get an area (beach with a capital b) covering the southern part of the Topsail island.

Gotcha. That’s most likely where they found it then. But as an FYI - I have a house at Ocean Isle Beach (south of Wilmington) and I can be on Hwy 17 and still be in Ocean Isle without ever crossing over the bridge onto the actual island/beach.

If her phone was found on the island or near the beach that shows some type of reason to get off the highway to get rid of your phone. But if you were concerned with being tracked via GPS, heading over a bridge to an island with only a few main roads wouldn’t be the greatest escape plan. Whereas driving Hwy 17 north and thinking you are being tracked, you could easily throw your phone out the window while driving on the highway and hit the gas to try to get away.

And I don’t want to paint a slanderous picture but there is a pretty regular amount of crime that happens in and around Wilmington that ends up being related to marines from Jacksonville. But that is just pure MOO at this point.

IMO there must have been a reason for the Topsail Beach visit. Maybe she was meeting someone there. I can't think of an errand that woud take her there.

Yeah, I can’t think of a single errand that you’d have to do in Top Sail that couldn’t be done a dozen times over in Wilmington (Wilmington is the big city on the coast).

It seems like either meeting a person or possible a work related meeting since she was a sales rep for an ad agency and could have been meeting one of her clients at their location.

I'm not from the area at all, but when I google Topsail Beach, I get an area (beach with a capital b) covering the southern part of the Topsail island.

Right, the entire island is Topsail Island. So when someone tells me they are going to Topsail, I then ask, "Topsail Beach, Surf City, or North Topsail?"

Sounds like the phone was found in Topsail Beach.

Why would she withdraw money from the bank? Was someone in need for money?

Where was the phone found exactly? I don't understand why the police in these cases always has those vague descriptions. Argh... If you want help give the community there some specifics. An exact location of the phone, draw a map with the possible route. In that way maybe there is somebody who saw or remembers something.

If she took the Surft City Bridge, I found a camera.
Here is a webcam with a view towards Surf City Bridge:
https://www.surfchex.com/cams/surf-city-bridge/

I could not find a webcam for the bridge in the north. North Topsail Beach.
It hasn't been said if she made a withdrawal/deposit or what? IMO

little better details in this news report...

WPD investigating missing Wilmington woman whose flyer went viral on social media | Port City Daily

WILMINGTON — Police are investigating the disappearance of a 43-year-old Wilmington woman, Kristin Dumond Glass, after she was reported last seen in Topsail Beach on Monday.

A Wilmington Police Department spokesperson said on Tuesday afternoon that police “are aware of social media posts circulating regarding the disappearance” of Glass, but the department could not discuss the specifics of the case without compromising the investigation.

“Detectives are taking this case very seriously and following various leads,” WPD spokesperson Jessica Williams said.

Topsail Beach Police Chief Samuel Gervase said Glass’ cell phone was found on the side of the road of the island town at around 3:45 p.m. on Monday afternoon.

According to Gervase, a WPD detective said it is now believed Glass had thrown the phone out of a car window because she was afraid someone was tracking her location using the phone’s GPS information. This has not been confirmed by the Wilmington Police Department.

“We stand by our statement that we will not comment on the investigative leads we’re following,” Williams said when asked to confirm the information.

On Tuesday, a woman who identified herself as a friend of Glass posted a missing-person flyer to her Facebook page. As of Wednesday afternoon, it had been shared at least 20,000 times.

The flyer indicated Glass was last seen in Topsail Beach, the southernmost town of Topsail Island. However, Gervase said surveillance footage showed her inside a Wilmington bank at 3 p.m. — 45 minutes before a Topsail Beach property owner found her cell phone on the road.

Gervase said she was alone and did not appear to be in duress, according to the surveillance footage.

The flyer describes Glass as 5’4″ with a petite build, blond hair and green eyes, and a dragonfly tattoo on her lower left leg. It also details her car, a gold 2001 Mercedes Benz E320, with the license plate number CJB-9495. According to the flyer, a reward is being offered, and it directs any leads to Wilmington Police Detective Dan Fortier at (910) 772-4163.

According to a missing person report provided by the WPD, the case was first reported on Monday at 7:41 p.m.

I'm surprised she was able to enter a bank - most ATM's have a maximum amount - I wonder if she was buying something online and was meeting up with someone and things turned bad?
I don't think there's any chance she threw her cell phone out the window to avoid being tracked and then went to the bank to get a large sum of money to buy something from online. You'd want to have the cell to facilitate the meetup.

Would they be able to dig into her phone to see if she was being tracked? Maybe LE is saying that she tossed the phone so she WOULDN'T be tracked, meaning she left on her own and didn't want to be found by anyone so she dumped the phone.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back