Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just gave me a memory. When my sister in law was missing and presumed dead along with a bunch of others in a fire, all of us at the family assistance center stood up and gave the mayor a standing ovation at one point after one of her many daily updates. She grimly smiled, raised her hand as if to speak and rushed from the room, overcome.

She and LE and the fire department had been intensely criticized for their handling of the tragedy. But we who were waiting for notification knew they worked round the clock, knew the scene of the tragedy intimately, were giving us constant updates and constant warm support, spending time talking to everyone individually, holding our hands, praying with us, hugging us, making sure we had food or phones, handling our issues about names (some victims were trans for example) and publicity, etc., and doing it all on ZERO sleep. For days.

No one knows the hell they endure.

Someone earlier reported that he said something about having a new number, so it’s unclear if she knew how to contact him. FWIW
She could have called him at work, or contacted his family members Also in the interview it states she didn't even tell LE about him. Who the Hell doesn't tell law enforcement about a missing child's father,or have them notify him? Seriously. Who the Hell does that?

Summary of the NG podcast interview with father:
- Kristy didn’t contact him
- He contacted LE after the AA
- LE told him they weren’t informed about him (meaning her dad)
- Live in BF has history of drugs and a temper
- Kristy tried covering up injury to son done by the BF... said he fell out of the bunk bed but was hit with belt by BF
- Mentioned speculation that there’s a witness who said someone left house around 3 AM carrying something
- Said Kristy’s dad said “this” isn’t want happened. Assume this means abduction.

So other things mentioned as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW to your number 3 point. It doesn't surprise me and it does not look good to lie to LE. A red flag there regarding that. Bio dad and his fiance have been cleared as POI's.

During the press conference today the FBI spokesperson said the "family" is cooperating. I got the sense that the BF might not be considered part of the family. Something about the way he said it.

- Kristy tried covering up injury to son done by the BF... said he fell out of the bunk bed but was hit with belt by BF
- Mentioned speculation that there’s a witness who said someone left house around 3 AM carrying something
- Said Kristy’s dad said “this” isn’t want happened. Assume this means abduction.

Kristy’s dad??? First I have heard of any comments from other family other than “adoptive grandmother.” Interesting. JMO

You just gave me a memory. When my sister in law was missing and presumed dead along with a bunch of others in a fire, all of us at the family assistance center stood up and gave the mayor a standing ovation at one point after one of her many daily updates. She grimly smiled, raised her hand as if to speak and rushed from the room, overcome.

She and LE and the fire department had been intensely criticized for their handling of the tragedy. But we who were waiting for notification knew they worked round the clock, knew the scene of the tragedy intimately, were giving us constant updates and constant warm support, spending time talking to everyone individually, holding our hands, praying with us, hugging us, making sure we had food or phones, handling our issues about names (some victims were trans for example) and publicity, etc., and doing it all on ZERO sleep. For days.

No one knows the hell they endure.

WOW to your number 3 point. It doesn't surprise me and it does not look good to lie to LE. A red flag there regarding that. Bio dad and his fiance have been cleared as POI's.
Thank you.

She could have called him at work, or contacted his family members Also in the interview it states she didn't even tell LE about him. Who the Hell doesn't tell law enforcement about a missing child's father,or have them notify him? Seriously. Who the Hell does that?

Especially if you're in a court battle with them.

BBM- been thinking about that since I heard it earlier today. If she really did cover up for her bf abusing the son, what else would she be willing cover up for him?

Kristy’s dad??? First I have heard of any comments from other family other than “adoptive grandmother.” Interesting. JMO
I believe the comment was referring to Mariah's dad - Alex.

Kristy's mother was interviewed on the first day, or at least quoted by the media. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:
See bottom article here: http://www.witn.com/content/news/Search-underway-for-missing-toddler-in-Onslow-County-460279893.html
"MH, Mariah's grandmother, says the mother put Mariah to bed at their Dawson Cabin Road home and she checked on her about 9 or 10 p.m. (She) says this morning the mother went to check on her and Mariah was gone.

MH says the toddler normally wears orthopedic braces on both feet and when she is without them she doesn’t walk straight."

BBM- been thinking about that since I heard it earlier today. If she really did cover up for her bf abusing the son, what else would she be willing cover up for him?

The bio dad stated that the mom was dishonest with the social workers and that is where the covering up for the live in bf comes into play. It was stated that the son fell from a bunk bed but a belt was actually used that caused the bruises.

I have some experience with trailer park folks both in NJ and Texas. They share some cultural characteristics with inner-city communities, in this instance I'm referring to the code of the street known as "snitches get stitches." Honor and integrity is very important to them even if that "integrity" hampers police efforts to find a killer or missing child. Talking to the police is a serious cultural taboo. This mind set is one of the reasons why it's so difficult to solve crimes, particularly murders, in inner-city, low socio-economic areas.

OT - “Talking to the police is a serious cultural taboo”. I live in an area that is culturally and economically diverse. There does seem to be a large portion of the lower socioeconomic community that have a marred view of LE.

I recently had a terrible experience with accidentally locking my toddler in my vehicle while out shopping. Long story short, dropped my keys while buckling her and didn’t realize until the door closed and she was inside and I was out. A passerby stopped to keep me calm. This person was very nice but appeared to be of a lower economic background. Within seconds, I was calling 911 for help. As soon as I stated I was calling for LE assistance, this person’s demeanor and attitude changed. They were more willing to smash my window with my toddler inside than to wait for police to arrive. I, obviously, waited for LE and the whole experience lasted less than 15 mins. This person was supportive but immediately scooted away as the police car pulled up. The weather was pleasant, my toddler played peek a boo and blew kisses to the officer and so there was no true distress.

My point is, there is a large portion of the population that does not trust and does not want to interact with LE, no matter what the reason. Sad in my opinion. I am guessing the reason they haven’t spoken to everyone in the neighborhood is most likely willingness of neighbors.

I have a huge respect and appreciation for LE and first responders and teach my children to have that same respect as well. I’m still thankful for those that aided with this little “crisis” we experienced.

I'm going to be bold and say at this point I find her more suspect than the bf. That could change if we ever hear from him. IMO

Nothing new to add, just been lurking on this one and wanted to say it feels like deja-vu all over again, to quote Yogi Berra. Only the names and faces change, the stories are the same. So very sad! I get so angry with abusers....and just as angry with people who allow abusers daily access to their children.

I get what you are saying about time being of the essence BUT its not like there was only one phone line. The dad could have been told at the same time the AA was going out. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

From the Nancy Grace phone interview that was linked earlier, the bio father said that LE didn't know about him until he heard the Amber Alert and reached out to THEM. So according to him, the mother either had not mentioned at that point that the step father was not the bio dad, or that the bio dad lived relatively close to the area, or it hadn't come up/been asked about by LE.

I feel tentative about asking this, but since it is MSM I am going to go ahead. According to this video there was someone caught on tape with a child who looked a lot like Mariah who was later shown not to be her. Is it possible the heavy FBI presence is because of this suspected kidnapping? I just can't think of a recent missing child case with such an intense, focused investigation. MOO of course, and if this is not ok I apologize.

The site says Crime Watch but is a CBS news link.

OT - “Talking to the police is a serious cultural taboo”. I live in an area that is culturally and economically diverse. There does seem to be a large portion of the lower socioeconomic community that have a marred view of LE.

I recently had a terrible experience with accidentally locking my toddler in my vehicle while out shopping. Long story short, dropped my keys while buckling her and didn’t realize until the door closed and she was inside and I was out. A passerby stopped to keep me calm. This person was very nice but appeared to be of a lower economic background. Within seconds, I was calling 911 for help. As soon as I stated I was calling for LE assistance, this person’s demeanor and attitude changed. They were more willing to smash my window with my toddler inside than to wait for police to arrive. I, obviously, waited for LE and the whole experience lasted less than 15 mins. This person was supportive but immediately scooted away as the police car pulled up. The weather was pleasant, my toddler played peek a boo and blew kisses to the officer and so there was no true distress.

My point is, there is a large portion of the population that does not trust and does not want to interact with LE, no matter what the reason. Sad in my opinion. I am guessing the reason they haven’t spoken to everyone in the neighborhood is most likely willingness of neighbors.

I have a huge respect and appreciation for LE and first responders and teach my children to have that same respect as well. I’m still thankful for those that aided with this little “crisis” we experienced.

I locked the keys in my car with my first child when he was a few months old. I was starting a new job that day and trading him off to my Nana for my shift. I called the local PD first and they told me they couldn’t help and for me to call AAA or a locksmith. I was shocked, it was summer in southern Virginia, but AAA got there very quickly. I’m glad your local LE will help with things like this.

The bio dad stated that the mom was dishonest with the social workers and that is where the covering up for the live in bf comes into play. It was stated that the son fell from a bunk bed but a belt was actually used that caused the bruises.

Yes, I know what he said. That doesn't mean that it actually happened, so I'm trying being careful with wording out of respect for rules. If it's true it is unsettling.

This stuck out to me, too, and I had the same initial questioning. IIRC, the bio dad stated that was one of the reasons he was given custody of the children last year. Not disputing it, but in the interview with Ashleigh Banfield he discusses anger issues. Playing devil's advocate, being willing to cover for a significant other could also be a sign of abuse. Purely speculating and IMO, no one gets a pass when this little angel is still missing. I don't doubt that mom knows much more than what we are seeing.

I feel tentative about asking this, but since it is MSM I am going to go ahead. According to this video there was someone caught on tape with a child who looked a lot like Mariah who was later shown not to be her. Is it possible the heavy FBI presence is because of this suspected kidnapping? I just can't think of a recent missing child case with such an intense, focused investigation. MOO of course, and if this is not ok I apologize.

The site says Crime Watch but is a CBS news link.

Here is info on the FBI CARD team which deals with missing and abducted children. FBI must be “called in” by local PD but do generally respond to most children “of tender years” which they deem 12 or younger. https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/investigating-child-abductions1 https://www.fbi.gov/about/faqs/if-a...-is-known-will-the-fbi-begin-an-investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member