NC - Paitin Fields, 5, raped & murdered, Pender County, 12 Nov 2017 *ARREST in 2022*

I just can't understand how this has gone on for this length of time and still nothing done. 3 people were in the home at the time this happened. Why weren't they questioned? How difficult could it be?

The Sheriff should be kicked out of office for his incompetence and lack of compassion for the child's father and family.

What happened to the grandmother and her boyfriend/husband? What happened to the uncle who lived with them?

If I thought a petition would do any good I'd start one if I knew how, just to highlight how this poor child is still waiting for justice.

I just can't understand how this has gone on for this length of time and still nothing done. 3 people were in the home at the time this happened. Why weren't they questioned? How difficult could it be?

The Sheriff should be kicked out of office for his incompetence and lack of compassion for the child's father and family.

What happened to the grandmother and her boyfriend/husband? What happened to the uncle who lived with them?

If I thought a petition would do any good I'd start one if I knew how, just to highlight how this poor child is still waiting for justice.
I'm hoping they are just waiting for DNA to come back.

From day one this case has had so many inaccuracies beginning from the original report stating that she was last seen in her home the night before then reporting that she was found the next day.

Actually she was not kidnapped, she was not missing, she was found unresponsive in her very own bedroom.

It is still a mystery who the heck "carried" her into the ER. There is not a single report stating who that person was who carried her to the ER. 911 was not called.

Today, the Medical Examiners' report states that it was the 19 yr. old Uncle who "found" her unresponsive in her bedroom.

The "family" told medical personnel at the ER that she had been ill the last two days with a respiratory problem. Did they not notice that she had ligature marks around her neck???????
One family member said that she was perfectly fine before just prior to the ER trip.

There were older, healing, marks around her neck as well as the acute injuries which means that this was not the only time she had suffered strangulation. Again, the immediate family members living in the very same mobile home did not notice?

It has been over six months since the autopsy and DNA testing, why isn't the final autopsy completed, or is it completed but is just filed away because the Sheriff for whatever reason doesn't want to charge anyone with a rape? You don't need the DNA for the rape to charge someone with her murder, so why hasn't he charged the people involved in the rape, murder and yes, the cover up and obstruction?

I read the report and I don't see where it says Paitin was raped, penetrated or there was DNA.

I see that there was bleeding consistent with sexual abuse, but no mention of tearing or damage to her hymen or anything.

Certainly, that part just may not be included. Or, it may not exist. If Paitin was NOT raped there may not be DNA evidence.

I'm not saying it's not a cover up, I'm just saying this is one possible reason why they may not know which one committed the crime.

Just haven't seen that angle mentioned so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I read the report and I don't see where it says Paitin was raped, penetrated or there was DNA.

I see that there was bleeding consistent with sexual abuse, but no mention of tearing or damage to her hymen or anything.

Certainly, that part just may not be included. Or, it may not exist. If Paitin was NOT raped there may not be DNA evidence.

I'm not saying it's not a cover up, I'm just saying this is one possible reason why they may not know which one committed the crime.

Just haven't seen that angle mentioned so I thought I'd throw it out there.

"The vaginal sections show intact, normal epithelium with collections of chronic inflammation throughout the
submucosa."

Also the "acute hemorrhage of the vaginal mucosa" is a definite suggestion of rape, although you are correct that they do not say there is tearing of the epithelium. I don't see anything about the hymen either, but the hymen being perforated is not a definite sign of rape unfortunately.

This makes me wonder if Paitin had been sexually abused prior to this event, and so this may result in bruising but not tearing?

There were older, healing, marks around her neck as well as the acute injuries which means that this was not the only time she had suffered strangulation. Again, the immediate family members living in the very same mobile home did not notice?

It has been over six months since the autopsy and DNA testing, why isn't the final autopsy completed, or is it completed but is just filed away because the Sheriff for whatever reason doesn't want to charge anyone with a rape? You don't need the DNA for the rape to charge someone with her murder, so why hasn't he charged the people involved in the rape, murder and yes, the cover up and obstruction?

I have been so confused about the ligature marks and the timeline.

I showed this report to a pathologist I know, and he told me that the report indicates "days" of healing, and the place where he pointed that out was in the area about the brain. The ligature and strangulation deprived the brain of oxygen and blood flow, and when then when the blood flow returned, the damage in the brain had already begun. This is one of the quotes: "There is an increased number of macrophages in parenchyma as well. Changes are consistent with days-old reaction to hypoxic-ischemic injury."

He said that while they do not give a timeline for the ligature marks, the above indicates "days." Which would be consistent with a scenario in which 1. Paitin is strangled and loses consciousness and also blood flow to the brain. 2. Blood flow returns, Paitin is unresponsive but not dead.... then she was kept at home, unresponsive, for an unknown period of time. 3. Taken to hospital and placed on life support.

The ligature begins to heal immediately, and with Paitin on life support, it continues to heal for "days." We do not know when she was strangled, but we know she had at least two days in the hospital on life support. When she arrived at New Hanover, they observed signs that her brain was shutting down permanently. In the preliminary report they mention that "

They also mention in the preliminary report that she had posturing, which is an indication that at least portions her central nervous system were already shutting down.

As for the DNA testing, they had the rape kit back by mid-January, I believe. They have not released information about it, but it did come back. The formal autopsy is complete and that is what was released a couple days ago.

All of your questions about why hasn't the Sheriff charged anyone are I think exactly what everyone else wants to know, and why we are also outraged. I am beyond annoyed that nobody has been charged with anything in connection with this case.

O/t: hit reply by mistake (and why is it always on long posts???) And the only way I know of to make it go away is to post.

Btw, anyone know how to discard a post? Tia.

O/t: hit reply by mistake (and why is it always on long posts???) And the only way I know of to make it go away is to post.

Btw, anyone know how to discard a post? Tia.

I use my phone and if I hit reply on accident I just delete the reply and then type what I wanted to say.

From the above link
"The Pender County Sheriff’s Office has named the uncle of Paitin Fields as a suspect in her murder. David Wesley Prevatte, 19, is currently charged with intimidating a witness and communicating threats."

Finally!

Omg. I'm so
From the above link
"The Pender County Sheriff’s Office has named the uncle of Paitin Fields as a suspect in her murder. David Wesley Prevatte, 19, is currently charged with intimidating a witness and communicating threats."

Finally!
Omg I'm so happy. I thought they would get away.

The uncle was in jail for breaking and entering.

Now has charges of intimidating a witness and communicating threats.

He burned former girlfriend's camper down. I'm hoping that she is a witness for Paitin's case.

I have always thought that there is absolutely no way that the people in that house do not know who harmed Paitin. They have just been covering up for him. They all need to be charged. JMO

ETA: I think the communicating threats are for his threatening the investigator.

I certainly hope they have more than threats to potential witnesses and investigators, but I'm glad they are charging him with whatever they can throw at him. He has no business walking among law abiding citizens.

Also, I agree with @lonetraveler in that I cannot imagine the others in the house did not have incriminating information. The fact that Paitin arrived to the ER with no clothing, aka physical evidence implicates the gma and gpa, IMO.

I never doubted he would be charged with Paitlin's murder. There are times when cases seem to be stalled, but things are happening behind the scenes. Her sweet little face makes me want to cry. This child had a Mother who could not take take of her, and was left in the care of Grandparents who should have cherished and protected her knowing what she went through. If only I had the ability to take all of these kids ...

I never doubted he would be charged with Paitlin's murder. There are times when cases seem to be stalled, but things are happening behind the scenes. Her sweet little face makes me want to cry. This child had a Mother who could not take take of her, and was left in the care of Grandparents who should have cherished and protected her knowing what she went through. If only I had the ability to take all of these kids ...

Well he hasn't been formally charged with murder or homicide, he has been named as a suspect. Hopefully a charge will come very soon.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back