NC NC - Priscilla Blevins, 26, Charlotte, 7 July 1975

Didn't Larry Eugene Bell claim to have buried Denise Porch's body in Cherokee County but they couldn't find it??? Cherokee county is also in the NC mountains.

I think either Larry Gene Bell or Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. could have been involved in Pricilla's death. They were both committing murders around that time in and about that area.

Coffey is still in prison for life. I thought he mainly went after a younger group though. I found this writeup that gives a lot of info on Coffey. I haven't looked to see if he is in our serial killer forum, but if he's not there, maybe he should be added.
http://www.bluelineradio.com/FredHowardCoffey

Fred Coffey is in Pender Prison at Burgaw, NC in a medium security facility. He was convicted of only one murder - that of ten-year-old Amanda Ray - for which he received the death penalty in two separate trials. After a third trial, at which much evidence was withheld, he was given a life sentence and made elligible for parole. Parole has been consistantly denied over the years.

Coffey is no doubt a serial child molester, who, in 1986, admitted to molesting over 100 children. He was convicted of various acts involving children in North Carolina and Virginia.

Although only convicted in 1986 of one murder (1979), he is strongly suspected in others as well.

Check out Fred Coffey's threads here on Websleuths. The above cited link used as its source (without credit), my earlier postings in this forum.

Fred Coffey is in Pender Prison at Burgaw, NC in a medium security facility. He was convicted of only one murder - that of ten-year-old Amanda Ray - for which he received the death penalty in two separate trials. After a third trial, at which much evidence was withheld, he was given a life sentence and made elligible for parole. Parole has been consistantly denied over the years.

Coffey is no doubt a serial child molester, who, in 1986, admitted to molesting over 100 children. He was convicted of various acts involving children in North Carolina and Virginia.

Although only convicted in 1986 of one murder (1979), he is strongly suspected in others as well.

Check out Fred Coffey's threads here on Websleuths. The above cited link used as its source (without credit), my earlier postings in this forum.

When I could not find Fred Coffey in a search in the Serial Killers forum, I started a new thread for him, using the same link as a reference. When I found that link on a web search, I had no idea where the info was obtained. I will give credit to you for the info in the new SK thread.

I have since searched the entire Websleuth website and found numerous entries concerning Coffey with your name listed. Do you have a list of all the cases in which you suspect Coffey?

What are your thoughts about Larry Gene (Eugene?) Bell as a suspect in Priscilla's case?

Hi Richard,

I checked out the link and I gather that's a website you maintain - very interesting. In any case, the write-up about Coffey says he ended up in North Carolina toward the end of '75, but she went missing in early July. By the account at the link, he was still working at Vitro Labs in Maryland April-end of July. Do happen to know if he had family ties in North Carolina or the Blue Ridge/Tennessee area and so may have been in the state for a visit? Charlotte and the Gaithersburg area are pretty far apart (with the mountains being even further), so I would think he might be less promising as a suspect unless there could be a reason he'd be passing through the area at that time.

-SG

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1652
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1652.html

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on March 29, 1985 in Waynesville, Haywood County, North Carolina
Estimated Date of Death: 1984
State of Remains: Complete Skeleton

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 30-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3.
Clothing: White bra; pair of white bikini panties with lace trim; red threads; red nylon zipper (metal tab); blue threads; 5 blue plastic buttons.
Fingerprints: Fingerprints could not be obtained
Dentals: Available; restorations: #2: O; #3: MOD-L; #4: DO; #14: DO; #15: O; #18: O; #19: O; #20: DO; #29: O; #30: O.
DNA: Sample available - not yet submitted

Case History
The victim was found near the 8 mile marker off of I-40, in Waynesville, North Carolina on March 29, 1985.

After 37 Years, Priscilla Ann Blevins' Disappearance Solved Using DNA

Every day for the past 37 years, Cathy Blevins Howe has wondered about the whereabouts of her 27-year-old sister, who vanished from her Charlotte, N.C., home in July 1975.

Howe had long accepted that her sister, Priscilla Ann Blevins, was likely dead, but was afraid she might go to her own grave without the opportunity to say goodbye. The reality of that fear deepened when her parents, Bob and Sadie Blevins, died in 2002 and 2001, respectively.

The waiting and the fear finally came to an end last month, when the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department contacted Howe and said her sister's remains had been found at the state medical examiner's office in Chapel Hill. The remains, initially identified as "Jane Doe," had been in storage at the facility for more than 20 years.

Authorities had been trying to uncover Jane Doe's identity since 1985, when she was found off Interstate 40 in Haywood County near the Tennessee border.

Read More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/priscilla-ann-blevins_n_2059155.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/blevins_pricilla.html
Priscilla Ann Blevins

blevins_pricilla.jpg

Above: Blevins, circa 1975

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: January 1, 1975 from Charlotte, North Carolina
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: March 29, 1948
Height and Weight: 5'5, 130 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Blevins suffers from eczema, a skin condition. Some agencies spell her first name "Priscilla."

Details of Disappearance

Blevins was last seen by her roommate in the 1700 block of Tyvola Road in Charlotte, North Carolina on January 1, 1975. She has never been heard from again. The exact circumstances surrounding her disappearance are unclear.

They over-estimated her age, and under-estimated her height.

And if she died at the time that she disappeared, they missed the postmortem interval by a mile. They said that she had been there about a year, but she went missing 10 years earlier.

Of course, she may have been alive for several years after her disappearance, and that would explain the age discrepancy. Also, there was still clothing remnants found with the bones. One would expect that any clothing would have been disintegrated over a 10-year period.

Wow. So thankful that her sister has found her after all this time. RIP Priscilla.

Another discrepancy: Priscilla's sister said that she disappeared on July 7, 1975, but the MP sites say the LKA was January 1, 1975. Not that this would have made a difference in this case though.

:cheers::fireworks:

So glad she has been identified...
hoping for more this coming year of 2013 ending the same....
by the victims going home...:twocents:

Another discrepancy: Priscilla's sister said that she disappeared on July 7, 1975, but the MP sites say the LKA was January 1, 1975. Not that this would have made a difference in this case though.

Similar mistakes if you want to term them as such...:banghead:
sure helps knowing specifics that are correct..

Glad she was identified, but it pisses me off that the police were this off. Are they not suppose to be trained in this? how many more unidentified victims are reported wrongly and we turn a blind eye to them! Ugh.

Glad to hear this after I looked at her face and her case so often! I think every case that they have been missing for years and it turns out theyve had the body for years always has mistakes in post morterm time, weight, height estimates, etc. Really crazy

In the Charlotte Observer it says:

Blevins was last seen alive by her roommate at their apartment on Tyvola Road near South Boulevard. Her younger sister, Cathy Blevins Howe, who lived in Arizona at the time, still vividly remembers the long-distance phone call from her worried parents saying her older sister couldn’t be found.

My question is did Pricilla live in the same apartment complex as Denise Porch??? Yorktown apartments are on Tyvola very near South Blvd.

Glad to hear this after I looked at her face and her case so often! I think every case that they have been missing for years and it turns out theyve had the body for years always has mistakes in post morterm time, weight, height estimates, etc. Really crazy

:cheers::fireworks:

So glad she has been identified...
hoping for more this coming year of 2013 ending the same....
by the victims going home...:twocents:

I seconded that. When I looked at her profile, she have modern looks that fit in today society and I would have guess the picture is taken from 20 yr ago or less. It turned out much oldest missing case.
I feel bad her parents were still alive for around next 16/17 yrs for the fate of her daughter when Priscilla was found in 1985 as UID. I wish every family members to submit their DNA when their love ones is still missing.

She was found with clothing on her body. So is it possible that she was alive for some time before being placed on the side of the road? Would clothing fibers last for 10 years??

... I have since searched the entire Websleuth website and found numerous entries concerning Coffey with your name listed. Do you have a list of all the cases in which you suspect Coffey?

What are your thoughts about Larry Gene (Eugene?) Bell as a suspect in Priscilla's case?

-------------------------

Fred Coffey is KNOWN to have been involved in many cases involving inappropriate sexual conduct with minor children. He is SUSPECTED in many other cases.

Here are a few of the Known cases:

Pre September 1974, Virginia Beach, VA - Abduction and Rape of a 13 year-old girl (daughter of a Navy man) led to Coffey's dismissal from the US Navy.

October 1975, Virginia Beach, VA - Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor with a 15 year-old-girl (probably a plea down deal).

1979, Charlotte, NC - abduction, rape, and murder of 10 year old Amanda Ray. He was convicted of her murder in 1987.

1981, Charlotte, NC - Abduction and murder of Neely Smith, age 5. Never tried for this crime, but he is the only suspect and seen last with the little girl.

1980's (uncertain about date) North Carolina, Coffey exposed himself to a 3 year old girl and was reported to legal authorities by the child's mother for it.

1986, North Carolina, Coffey molested three children in a family over an extended period of time. Charged with three incidents for each of the three children - nine charges of Child molestation in all. Tried and convicted in 1986.

1986, During a meeting with a court ordered Psychiatrist, Coffey admitted to having molested "over 100" children. His statement was admitted as evidence during his trial and is in the public record.

1986, Bristol, VA Coffey abducted and murdered 8 year old Travis Shane King and disposed of his body in eastern Tennessee. Never tried for this crime, but he is the only suspect and was the last person seen with the little boy.

Coffey moved around a lot and owned a number of vehicles. He was obviously active as a child molester and murderer between 1974 and 1986 inclusive. He had residences and connections in Bristol and Virginia Beach, VA, in Charlotte, NC, and in Gaithersburg, MD. He is also known to have traveled in Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Probably many others.

My interest in Mr. Coffey began with my research into the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon, sisters 12 and 10 years old, from their home near Wheaton, MD. In the course of that research, I looked into many other similar cases in adjacent states. I have posted most of those other cases in the Lyon Sisters' featured case threads.

Obviously, Coffey did not commit all of the "Possible Connected Cases", but I posted on any case which could possibly be connected with the Lyon Sisters' disappearance. I also posted quite a few other possible Suspects/Persons of interest besides Coffey.

Coffey is known to have begun his work at Vitro Laboratories (a Department of Defense Contractor) in April 1975, but nobody seems to know exactly when he arrived in Maryland. It was probably after 17 September 1974, as that was the day he was discharged from the US Navy. Coffey departed Maryland very suddenly about 28 July 1975 following a particularly viscious attack on Kathy Lynn Beatty, age 14 in or near the grounds of Vitro Laboratories in Aspen Hill, MD.

Unfortunately, Coffey did not come to the attention of Maryland LE until late 1986, when he was on trial for Child Molestation and the Murder of Amanda Ray. Little is known of his schedule in Maryland or his comings and goings.

Although it is logistically possible for Coffey to have abducted Pricilla Blevins and Denise Porch, I personally feel him somewhat less of a suspect in their disappearance for a couple of reasons; They were older than most of his known and suspected victims, and he was not yet known to be comfortably living and operating in the Charlotte, NC area. He was definitely living and working there by late 1975.

----------------

Larry Gene Bell is a strong candidate for having abducted and murdered both Pricilla Blevins and Denise Porch. He actually lived in the same block as both girls, and is known to have abducted and murdered at least two other girls. Unfortunately, most of the evidence in the Blevins and Porch cases against Bell is circumstantial.

Hi Richard,

I checked out the link and I gather that's a website you maintain - very interesting. In any case, the write-up about Coffey says he ended up in North Carolina toward the end of '75, but she went missing in early July. By the account at the link, he was still working at Vitro Labs in Maryland April-end of July. Do happen to know if he had family ties in North Carolina or the Blue Ridge/Tennessee area and so may have been in the state for a visit? Charlotte and the Gaithersburg area are pretty far apart (with the mountains being even further), so I would think he might be less promising as a suspect unless there could be a reason he'd be passing through the area at that time.

-SG

I do not actually maintain any websites. I have, however, contributed to several sites as a writer.

You make some good points about Coffey and ask good questions. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of specifics about Coffey's contacts and travels.

Coffey's father lived in North Carolina and his mother lived in Bristol, Virginia. He had at least one sister, but I do not know where she lived in 1975.

Coffey had been married three times by the time of his arrest in 1986. He made reference to his "wife and daughter" being injured in a Kentucky car crash when he left Maryland, but it is not known how much of the story was made up. In fact, there was no auto accident and he used the same lie when leaving another job without notice later.

The big question in this case is whether or not Coffey could have been in North Carolina while employed by Vitro in Maryland. I guess that the answer would be, Yes it is possible, but would it be likely? Coffey was presumably busy at his job and maybe at his "hobby" of molesting and killing children in Maryland.

At one time, Pricilla's disappearance was listed as being in January 1975, and Denise Porch's disappearance was listed as 31 July 1975. When I first posted Coffey as a potential Person of interest in both of these cases, those dates made it much more of a possibility, since they very neatly bracketed his Maryland time frame. Then a short time ago, the date of Pricilla's disappearance was "updated" to be 7 July 1975. This (if true) tends to make Coffey much less of a suspect in my opinion, but does not necessarily rule him out.

A check of Coffey's record at Vitro might yield some information regarding whether or not he took some vacation days in July 1975. It might also indicate whether or not he was working on specific days of interest.

Since Coffey left Maryland in late July 1975, was charged with "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" in Virginia Beach, VA in October 1975, and was in North Carolina by late 1975, when he enlisted in the NC National Guard. So it is possible that he was planning to move and might have made a pre-move trip to NC in July 75.

In the Charlotte Observer it says:

Blevins was last seen alive by her roommate at their apartment on Tyvola Road near South Boulevard. Her younger sister, Cathy Blevins Howe, who lived in Arizona at the time, still vividly remembers the long-distance phone call from her worried parents saying her older sister couldn’t be found.

My question is did Pricilla live in the same apartment complex as Denise Porch??? Yorktown apartments are on Tyvola very near South Blvd.

Denise disappeared from 245 Tyvola Rd., her office. Pricilla lived in the 1700 block of Tyvola Rd. Same road, several blocks apart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back