Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

Please read it again.
Krista Madden attorney: Incident came 'totally out of the blue'

They are hoping they can get the bail reduced....and her husband is a wealthy cardio-thoracic surgeon. Meanwhile while they are worried about money and she isn't getting treatment in jail, she's experiencing neurological damage IF she is actually psychotic.

How Does Untreated Psychosis Lead to Neurological Damage?
As summarized by Rund,3 Wyatt1 believed that untreated psychosis was biologically toxic to the brain.

I re-read it prior to responding. Interesting about the neurological damage.

The defense team is trying to arrange for treatment for Krista Madden at a Chapel Hill facility that specializes in treatment of postpartum depression and related issues. Devereux said defense attorneys in such cases would typically seek a reduction in bond………..

The wealthy husband can pay her full bond right now (or 3 days ago) and get her into a psychiatric bed. Why doesn’t he pay the bond if he believes his wife is psychotic and therefore, needs immediate anti-psychotic medications to prevent further neurological damage?

The defense team is trying to arrange for treatment for Krista Madden at a Chapel Hill facility that specializes in treatment of postpartum depression and related issues. Devereux said defense attorneys in such cases would typically seek a reduction in bond………..

The wealthy husband can pay her full bond right now (or 3 days ago) and get her into a psychiatric bed. Why doesn’t he pay the bond if he believes his wife is psychotic and therefore, needs immediate anti-psychotic medications to prevent further neurological damage?
I keep seeing mention of her “wealthy” husband. Has that been confirmed, or is it an assumption based on his profession (or something else)?

I keep seeing mention of her “wealthy” husband. Has that been confirmed, or is it an assumption based on his profession (or something else)?
Google the annual income of a cardio-thoracic surgeon. It's anywhere from $300,000/year-$600,000/year.

Whether or not she had or has PPD or PPP it still comes down to a simple concept in law: commonly referred to as the McNaughton rule
“that every man is to be presumed to be sane, and ... that to establish a defence on the ground of insanity, it must be clearly proved that, at the time of the committing of the act, the party accused was labouring under such a defect of reason, from disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing; or if he did know it, that he did not know he was doing what was wrong“ M'Naghten rules - Wikipedia

Since she acted to conceal her attempted murder, made up an elaborate story to hide behind, it is quite clear in my opinion that she had no doubt that what she was doing was wrong. And I believe there isn’t a jury in the country that wouldn’t believe she was cognizant of right and wrong. Unlike Andrea Yates, she did not calmly wait to be held responsible. She lied. She lied, she obstructed and she planned and plotted. I had all the sympathy in the world for Andrea Yates and thought she was treated horribly by the press and by the public, but I have little sympathy for Krista Madden I am sorry to say.

<modsnip>...as someone who’s suffered from depression, anxiety, and suicide attempts over the last 20 years, it’s very easy to hide your true feelings...and it has zero to do with your wealth and profession so those should not even be in the conversation regarding mental health.

Until I see an actual psychologist say that she doesn’t have PPD, that’s where I’m going with this... <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>...as someone who’s suffered from depression, anxiety, and suicide attempts over the last 20 years, it’s very easy to hide your true feelings...and it has zero to do with your wealth and profession so those should not even be in the conversation regarding mental health.

Until I see an actual psychologist say that she doesn’t have PPD, that’s where I’m going with this... <modsnip>

Even if she DOES have PPD, she still does not meet the criteria of guilty by reason of insanity. It is a red herring, and really has little to do with the case. As far as why people don’t get help for PPD, if seeing someone killing their own child is not incentive enough, I doubt that coddling by the public is going to make a d*$& bit of a difference.

Even if she DOES have PPD, she still does not meet the criteria of guilty by reason of insanity. It is a red herring, and really has little to do with the case. As far as why people don’t get help for PPD, if seeing someone killing their own child is not incentive enough, I doubt that coddling by the public is going to make a d*$& bit of a difference.

1. PPD is a mitigating factor so, yes, it’s very important to the case.

2. You clearly have zero understanding of how a diseased brain works.

<modsnip>

I don't have enough details about Krista to make an informed opinion. But back in the beginning I did say she deserves our compassion, and I hope this doesn't ruin her career/life.

Sometimes one can consider giving up their lifestyle to afford the necessities. And turn one’s assets into “disposable income”.
I understand that. I thought things stated as fact needed a source. I am actually not sure how relevant the family’s income is to the case overall, but of course that is totally my opinion only.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your struggles Katoswife.

Thank you.

It’s important to have empathy for others and work to change the stigma and lack of education associated with mental illness...I never got help for my PPD because people simply don’t care ‍♀️ If they did, they wouldn’t continue to judge after moms kill their children due to untreated PPD...it’s not “coddling” to help people who need it.

Sometimes one can consider giving up their lifestyle to afford the necessities. And turn one’s assets into “disposable income”.
Professionals with a capacity to generate huge income can get unsecured signature notes at banks.

We educate every mother and her family prior to discharge from the hospital about postpartum depression and psychosis. But some are still hesitant to admit they are struggling. It's real and can be debilitating.
My niece's husband was driving her to the grocery store when her baby was 6 weeks old (her 3rd child). Suddenly she started screaming and cowering saying that the electric poles were falling and the wires were hitting the car. She was terrified that they would all be killed! He tried to reassure her but to her it was reality. She spend three days hospitalized. When I spoke with her later, she said she had been feeling a little blue, but didn't tell anyone. Postpartum psychosis is real. It can alter reality in a persons mind. JMO I think time will tell if this is a factor in this case but to me, it seems quite plausible.

We educate every mother and her family prior to discharge from the hospital about postpartum depression and psychosis. But some are still hesitant to admit they are struggling. It's real and can be debilitating.
My niece's husband was driving her to the grocery store when her baby was 6 weeks old (her 3rd child). Suddenly she started screaming and cowering saying that the electric poles were falling and the wires were hitting the car. She was terrified that they would all be killed! He tried to reassure her but to her it was reality. She spend three days hospitalized. When I spoke with her later, she said she had been feeling a little blue, but didn't tell anyone. Postpartum psychosis is real. It can alter reality in a persons mind. JMO
Of course postpartum psychosis is real, but setting up a crime scene to blame others and then obstructing justice after the crime are not part of postpartum psychosis/irrational disorganized thoughts. Krista demonstrated well organized rational thoughts, criminal thoughts, imo.

Professionals with a capacity to generate huge income can get unsecured signature notes at banks.

I consider the husband a victim in this case. I think I tis unfair to judge him at this time by what he does or doesn't do in this tragic crisis. I am sure he is overwhelmed and devastated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back