NC - State of Emergency Declared in Moore County - Criminal Attack on Power Substations - 45K W/O Power

And in all of the substation attacks in 2022, there were zero arrests. Why? Are there really no cameras at these places?

It's very odd. I'd expect a pretty comprehensive security system, although perhaps not at the distances reachable by a rifle.

Still, there seems to be plenty of online chatter by and between members of groups under suspicion that might provide leads. Is it maybe a question of the will locally to solve these cases?

In lieu of any video at the substations (I believe LE did collect some at nearby businesses) I am holding out hope for the cell phone subpoenas. Can't be too many in the vicinity at that specific time, and hopefully the perp(s) were stupid enough to have phones on them.

It's very odd. I'd expect a pretty comprehensive security system, although perhaps not at the distances reachable by a rifle.

Still, there seems to be plenty of online chatter by and between members of groups under suspicion that might provide leads. Is it maybe a question of the will locally to solve these cases?

I don’t know about this particular station but the nuclear plants here in the Carolinas have strict security. I hope.

There seems to be a lot of concern that the power-station attacks are some sort of preparation or rehearsal for domestic terrorism. How in the world did the USA get so full of anger that people want to cripple the infrastructure and cause chaos?

There seems to be a lot of concern that the power-station attacks are some sort of preparation or rehearsal for domestic terrorism. How in the world did the USA get so full of anger that people want to cripple the infrastructure and cause chaos?

hatred is potently addictive, and I think it might feed itself too!
Add a love of guns and perhaps a grievance with the government… it’s a lot of loud people stuck online in these echo chambers, bonding over and validating extreme and passionate views (against others)
Moo

Last edited:

These types have been barking for decades but we have the net now. Eric Rulolph, guy that bombed the 96 Olympics, was influenced heavily by printed newsletters that these groups put out. It can inspire violence but they never seem to recruit the number of nuts they need to fulfill their goals.

hatred is potently addictive, and I think it might feed itself too!
Add a love of guns and perhaps a grievance with the government… it’s a lot of loud people stuck online in these echo chambers, bonding over and validating extreme and passionate views (against others)
Moo

Social media contributes a lot to this (as you said, "...people stuck online in these echo chambers..."):

And, this type of stuff is related to what the Cambridge Analytica scandal was all about:

If you want to read more about grid security, check some of the articles on Utility Dive:

An article that (I think) was posted earlier in the thread but I'll repost:

Really great, in-depth summary by the local paper. Way too much to snip, I encourage everyone to give it a read!

Domestic Terrorism is one thing, but the risks of International Terrorism are quite another. I feel the greatest long term risk of these recent attacks is exposing the vulnerability of our own Nation's electrical grid.

AT&T has their major control centers in large concrete windowless buildings with extensive security. I do hope our Nation makes this an immediate priority and starts to protect our electrical grids with the same vigor.

JMO

I don’t know about this particular station but the nuclear plants here in the Carolinas have strict security. I hope.
I think Shearon Harris, near the Triangle, definitely does. There's at least two other plants in NC plus a research scale reactor at NC State. Don't know about those. There's another 3 or 4 plants in SC.

Christmas day substation attacks in Washington state have resulted in a quick resolution. In this case, the attacks were spread over 4 stations with a significant gap in time, and cell records indicated only 2 phones in common to all. There was also surveillance video of vehicle and suspect which helped. Suspect stated post-Miranda that purpose of outages was to rob a cash register at a business. Federally charged. You can read more here: https://t.co/D0eftpM9td

Hoping for a resolution in Moore County as well!

Christmas day substation attacks in Washington state have resulted in a quick resolution. In this case, the attacks were spread over 4 stations with a significant gap in time, and cell records indicated only 2 phones in common to all. There was also surveillance video of vehicle and suspect which helped. Suspect stated post-Miranda that purpose of outages was to rob a cash register at a business. Federally charged. You can read more here: https://t.co/D0eftpM9td

Hoping for a resolution in Moore County as well!

I guess unplugging or flipping a breaker to the register wouldn’t do it?

The DOJ specified who

Three Men Plead Guilty to Conspiring to Provide Material Support to a Plot to Attack Power Grids in the United States
Three men pleaded guilty today to crimes related to a scheme to attack power grids in the United States in furtherance of white supremacist ideology.

According to court documents, Christopher Brenner Cook, 20, of Columbus, Ohio; Jonathan Allen Frost, 24, of West Lafayette, Indiana, and of Katy, Texas; and Jackson Matthew Sawall, 22, of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, each pleaded guilty to one count of conspiring to provide material support to terrorists. The charge and plea agreements indicate that the defendants knew and intended that the material support they conspired to provide would be used to prepare for and carry out the federal offense of destroying energy facilities.

IMHO declared as an act of terrorism or not it seems like a domestic terrorist act to me. Some times descriptions of events are selective depending on the "spin" of the report. Not sure how this will go. The fact that the FBI is involved indicates a Federal and state connection. Along with many other areas, FBI works terrorism. Why else would they be there?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back