GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

In cases like this, I am often reminded of an old friend of Websleuths, who is no longer with us. Many of you will remember Foxfire, and recall that one of his biggest pet peeves was jurisdictional blindness, the lack of LE agencies to work together on cases that cross jurisdictional lines. Although this case did not have the desired outcome he would have wanted, I know that Foxfire is up in Heaven, looking down and saying "well done, officers, well done."

Last edited:
This is extremely sad, and so preventable. This p-0-s is a 3 time convicted felon.
He should not have been walking the streets to commit this crime.
Agreed he was just charged with assault back in January and they gave him like 1 month. Andy's blood is on the hands of a failed justice system that lets repeat violent offenders out on the streets just to hurt others again.

Those who follow cases here in Wake County know that while justice is not very swift, it can be definitive, especially when the DA proceeds carefully and the judge presiding runs a tight ship.

(just for the record, I miss Judge Donald Stephens, and I bet I'm not the only one).

In cases like this, I am often reminded of an old friend of Websleuths, who is no longer with us. Many of you will remember Foxfire, and recall that one of his biggest pet peeves was jurisdictional blindness, the lack of LE agencies to work together on cases that cross jurisdictional lines. Although this case did not have the desired outcome he would have wanted, I know that Foxfire is up in Heaven, looking down and saying "well done, officers, well done."
Oh my - @Foxfire ....

Just saw this:

Body found in Virginia may be that of missing Raleigh man
Posted September 17, 2020 3:26 p.m. EDT
Updated September 17, 2020 4:32 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Police said Thursday that a body found in rural Virginia may be that of a Raleigh man who has been missing since last weekend.
[...]
Police said Wednesday that they had evidence of foul play in Banks' disappearance and were investigating the case as a homicide.
A body found in Chatham, Va., by the Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office will be sent to a coroner in Roanoke, Va., for an autopsy and positive identification, police said.
[...]
Justin Fernando Merritt, 34, who investigators believe was the SUV buyer, lives a few doors down from where the vehicle was found, the warrant application states. He was arrested Tuesday and charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, larceny of a motor vehicle and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in connection with the stolen vehicle.

More here:
Body found in Virginia may be that of missing Raleigh man :: WRAL.com

Our FB marketplace has TONS of "fake" profiles - people create a profile specifically to buy and sell so someone can't go look at their personal information. I've purchased from marketplace, but have always brought someone with me, and if for some reason no one is available to go with me, I screenshot the post to my husband and the address I'm going to (whether it be a house, Target, Starbucks, etc)
That’s really smart. Even when pest control comes to service the house, I’ll post something on FB like... “If I go missing today, it was Tommy from Terminex.” :oops:

Updated

Body believed to be missing Raleigh man Andy Banks located in Virginia, police say

"Andy would have gladly handed them the keys to that car if it meant he got to live," friend CC told ABC11 on Thursday upon hearing the news. " He would have done everything he could to talk his way out of it."

More @ link TOS/WS
Mostly what we know
The above comment by Andy's friend makes a strong statement.

I'm sure Andy did exactly that. But like so many other victims before Andy's senseless murder I know they too did everything in their power to live.

Just like Andy's murderer the other murderers of countless other victims showed no mercy either for their victims.

One has to be stone cold to do what was done to Andy, and it chills me to the bone how many are just like his killer. They simply don't place any value whatsoever on human life. They are so narcissistic they murder the victim to make sure the victims are silenced from telling anyone what happened to them.

Tragically so many.victims are rendered voiceless, and depend on the evidence left behind, and the DAs to be their voice for them. May the DA be a strong voice for Andy!!

It's so very sad to see another very good person be taken from so many who love, and admire him.

Andy deserved to live a good long life among all of those who loves him making their lives so much richer just because of him.

These cases never get any easier. Never. :(

Jmho

Thank goodness they found him.

(Let me say this first -- I love your avatar, Madeleine74!)
---------------------​
Yes, I'm glad they found him, too. The finality of it must hurt more than we can know, but not knowing surely ties you in such knots and and brings horrible images and thoughts.
Now the family knows and they can support each other in the knowing, find more direction in what is next, and maybe, maybe, get a bit of sleep.
This is so damm sad.

I wonder if LE and/or the Medical Examiner, etc., will be able to determine where and when he was killed -- especially since this sad situation now occupies two states -- that finding will determine where the trial is held. From what we've seen, it appears that Banks was most likely killed in Raleigh, NC, or nearby. I'm hoping there is strong evidence which will indicate that that is what happened.

Such a waste; a deep, deep sorrow; and a horribly cruel crime.

Last edited:
I'm a friend of Andy's brother. Just so heartbroken over this case. Haven't been able to take my mind off of it since the start. This thread has been so good for me to see people who truly care about what happened to him and how it has affected his family. Thanks to all of you.

Body of missing Raleigh man found in Virginia, police say | CBS 17

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The body of a 39-year-old man missing since Saturday afternoon has been located in Virginia, Raleigh police said.

William “Andy” Banks’ body was discovered in Virginia with help from the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

Bank’s body will be sent to the coroner in Roanoke, Virginia for an autopsy.

More @ link WS /TOS
Oh, dear.
This is NOT what I wanted to see.
I popped in to check on updates and saw this.
Gosh Darn it.
Another innocent person killed for no reason other than an unfortunate run-in/meet up with a very evil person.
I just cannot imagine how his friends and family are feeling right now.
I am so sorry @Jeepguy and @ladyothelake {{HUGS}} and prayers to you both and anyone else on here that knew him and his family.
My heart is heavy with sadness.

I'm a friend of Andy's brother. Just so heartbroken over this case. Haven't been able to take my mind off of it since the start. This thread has been so good for me to see people who truly care about what happened to him and how it has affected his family. Thanks to all of you.

Welcome to Websleuths, ladyothelake, and welcome to our group of people who do indeed care. We seek justice for those who cannot do it for themselves and also for their families and friends.

You are quite welcome to be here with us as long as you wish, of course.
Positive thoughts and support for you and for Andy's friends and family.

(Let me say this first -- I love your avatar, Madeleine74!)
thanks @borndem!
I wonder if LE and/or the Medical Examiner, etc., will be able to determine where and when he was killed -- especially since this sad situation now occupies two states -- that finding will determine where the trial is held.
The M.E. will certainly try to determine T.O.D., but after several days, that can be difficult to determine to an exact hour (IMO).
from what we've seen, it appears that Banks was most likely killed in Raleigh, NC, or nearby. I'm hoping there is strong evidence which will indicate that that is what happened.
I'm not sure if that actually matters since the crime started in Raleigh and it appears to be one continuous crime that terminated in VA. A.B. lived in Wake County, he was selling the RR in Raleigh, and the perp(s) came to Raleigh to transact, the perp(s) kidnapped A.B. and committed the larceny and other crimes starting in Raleigh. Based on that I'll be surprised if jurisdiction is given to Virginia. IMO. But then again, never say never.

Incredibly proud of LE moving so quickly to arrest a suspect and locate the body.
Since JM was located before the car (so not evidence in car leading to JM's arrest), it would be interesting to find out what led police so quickly to JM
1) was it tracing of the anonymous craigslist emails back to JM's true email?
2) was it tracking the burner phone back to JM? does one have to provide their real name/ID when purchasing a burner phone?
3) was it caught on video somewhere such as ATM and JM was already in police files so facial recognition was matched?
4) was it fingerprints on AB's discarded phone roadside? also who found the phone and how was it so quickly located
5) something else?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab