GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

Why do you believe his life didn't matter? I think he mattered to hundreds (and now many thousands) of people, and I think as more and more people learn about Andy and what a good person he was, that love and concern will grow. IMO
it was tongue in cheek remark in today's world. unfortunately Andy's life didnt matter to the P O S JM!

OMG! To all of you who have shared knowing him, your stories and the loss you have, brings me to tears. I pray for all of you to be able to come to terms with this horrific crime. I pray his family/friends get answers and eventually closure.

From the Chatham Star-Tribune....
'Investigators reportedly used geo-location to triangulate a cell phone involved in this case, and it pinged for 20 minutes around the local resident's property.'

My understanding of the technology is that there was not necessarily a 20-minute phone call. Many things could make the phone ping, I believe...including making or receiving a text message, any notifications, email program checking for updates, which normally may occur every 5 -15 minutes, any app data being received, etc. JMO
Thanks. I just interpreted that as he was onsite- probably taking 20 minutes to conceal his crime in the tall grasses. If he had been on the phone for 20 minutes in the spot where Andy was left, I’d sure like to know who he was talking to. Accessory after the fact?

Thank you all for the kind words, it’s a tough pill to swallow that this has actually happened. It really feels like this must be a nightmare we will wake up from but unfortunately that isn’t the case.

I am just thankful the JM is locked up and his family can at least have closure and justice.

Andy will not be forgotten.

As I posted earlier, I knew Andy. I grew up with him in Gastonia, NC and he was a neighbor in Raleigh. I am new to websleuths and came to this site for updates. It is so nice to see strangers and friends so involved with this case in such a respectful way. This site/thread has been so supportive and kind. I am also so proud of LE in working this case so hard and helping his family find closure so fast.
I am so sorry for your loss @Raleigh80
I am amazed at how many friends of Andy's have joined here.
My prayers go out to you and his friends and family at this time.
I am glad you found this site comforting and I agree, I am impressed with LE and the work they have done for justice for Andy.
You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

@Jeepguy
@Raleigh80
@LostGirlNow
And to all that knew and loved Andy-

Those we love don't go away.
They walk beside us every day.
Unseen, unheard, but always near.
Still loved, still missed and forever dear.
(author unknown)

I am so very sorry for your loss. :(
Very nicely said @NoSI
I am in tears again but find comfort in your words.

Thanks. I just interpreted that as he was onsite- probably taking 20 minutes to conceal his crime in the tall grasses. If he had been on the phone for 20 minutes in the spot where Andy was left, I’d sure like to know who he was talking to. Accessory after the fact?

From Just the Fax’s post above -
“Investigators reportedly used geo-location to triangulate a cell phone involved in this case, and it pinged for 20 minutes around the local resident's property.”

What I get from this, investigators were able to track the movements of JM through his cellphone as it pinged from tower to tower on his route to Danville. Cellphones constantly ping to the nearest cellphone towers otherwise they wouldn’t be in service. By this type of tracking, LE was able to determine JM (or at least his cellphone) remained in one fixed location for 20 minutes and therefore were able to use information from those nearby cell towers (known as triangulation) to determine the location he stopped at. This doesn’t suggest he was engaged in a 20 minute phone conversation.

JMO

From Just the Fax’s post above -
“Investigators reportedly used geo-location to triangulate a cell phone involved in this case, and it pinged for 20 minutes around the local resident's property.”

What I get from this, investigators were able to track the movements of JM through his cellphone as it pinged from tower to tower on his route to Danville. Cellphones constantly ping to the nearest cellphone towers otherwise they wouldn’t be in service. By this type of tracking, LE was able to determine JM (or at least his cellphone) remained in one fixed location for 20 minutes and therefore were able to use information from those nearby cell towers (known as triangulation) to determine the location he stopped at. This doesn’t suggest he was engaged in a 20 minute phone conversation.

JMO
Yep. I agree. OP said perp was in a 20 minute conversation during the pinging. Upthread. We’ve sorted it out. I wanted to clarify before we all go off in left field on an OT tangent.

I don't think OP (@sloothseeker) meant that Andy's life didn't matter.
But more the fact, that to the murderer, Life didn't matter--he took a life and it doesn't matter to him (the murderer)
The P O S-- I hope he rots in he!!

It's not just Andy's life that didn't matter to JM. His own life clearly doesn't matter. Or his kids', or his mother's, or anyone who cares about him. He's damaged them all irreparably. There isn't one person's life who mattered enough to him to stop him from doing this.

Those who follow cases here in Wake County know that while justice is not very swift, it can be definitive, especially when the DA proceeds carefully and the judge presiding runs a tight ship.

(just for the record, I miss Judge Donald Stephens, and I bet I'm not the only one).
Really partial to Wake County deputies!!!! Just happens some are fishermen and stay at the same hotel we do each year down around Atlantic beach. These guys and their families are amazing!!! Their dedication to family, community and job clearly shows in every day interactions.
MOO....

No need to worry about that. RPD are thorough and will not handwave away any possible co-defendants or lose interest in fully investigating, even with this one arrest. Local P.D.s don't need to be told how to investigate major crimes--they deal with crimes large and small every day and will utilize all resources available to them, including regional and national FBI assistance if needed. As an interstate case, I bet we'll see a few agencies involved. IMO
I will add...I have 100% confidence DPD and PCSD will leave no stone unturned. They will search out any and all connected to this horrific crime.

Body of missing Raleigh man found in Virginia, police say | CBS 17

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The body of a 39-year-old man missing since Saturday afternoon has been located in Virginia, Raleigh police said.

William “Andy” Banks’ body was discovered in Virginia with help from the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

Bank’s body will be sent to the coroner in Roanoke, Virginia for an autopsy.

More @ link WS /TOS

Maybe a mod can move this thread over to the Located Persons forum and notate that an arrest has been made for his murder. I’ll flag my own post to let them know.

Maybe a mod can move this thread over to the Located Persons forum and notate that an arrest has been made for his murder. I’ll flag my own post to let them know.
I think it will be moved and updated once he is positively identified?
snipped
Warrant: Missing Raleigh man was murdered in Wake County, body likely found in Virginia | myfox8.com
Raleigh police said Thursday that a body, likely that of Banks, was discovered in Virginia with help from the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office.

Thursday afternoon, Merritt was charged with murder, arrest records show.

The arrest warrant obtained Friday morning says that the crime occurred in Wake County on Sept. 12, the last day Banks was heard from.

It's not just Andy's life that didn't matter to JM. His own life clearly doesn't matter. Or his kids', or his mother's, or anyone who cares about him. He's damaged them all irreparably. There isn't one person's life who mattered enough to him to stop him from doing this.

Whether he's another killer who wasn't smart enough to cover his horrid acts, I respectfully disagree that the murderer didn't care about himself. Imo that is the only one he cared about.

Imo, he did care only about himself, and cared about no one else....not even his own family members. On that I totally agree with you.

Andy is dead by this killers hands. JM murdered a totally innocent man because he cared much more about protecting himself by silencing his victim like so many like JM have done before. That's why Andy's body was in another state. This was all about the murderer caring about himself, and no one else.

Even the most stupidest of murderers are convinced they won't be caught. We see it time after time, and thank goodness we do for it's their stupidity which often results in them being caught, and taken off the streets.

I doubt this killer will ever show any remorse or regret. Most just like him never do.

Jmho

i have family that cared for andy deeply. i never met him but this case has absolutely devastated me from the moment he went missing. i’m thankful (my boyfriend is not) that in my moments of sheer anxiety about andy i had this page to check back on when the news wasn’t updated and there are other strangers that cared
so much. i have lost family members but can’t imagine losing them this way... i know there is a memorial today and i weep for everyone there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back