Deceased/Not Found NE - Cari Farver, 38, Omaha, 13 Nov 2012 *S. Golyar guilty*

AUGUST 30, 2018
Woman convicted of killing, impersonating romantic rival asks Nebraska Supreme Court for new trial
On Wednesday, an attorney for Golyar urged the Nebraska Supreme Court to erase a guilty verdict and order a new trial in the case.

Assistant Attorney General Sarah Marfisi conceded that most of the evidence presented at Golyar’s 2017 trial was circumstantial. And it’s true that the body of Cari Farver has never been found.

The Supreme Court is now tasked with reviewing records from a 10-day trial to decide whether Golyar’s convictions should stand. Rulings in such appeals typically take months to complete.

NOV 9, 2018
Supreme Court rejects appeal in bizarre case of woman who posed as romantic rival after killing her
When Shanna Golyar asked the state’s high court to reverse her conviction and life sentence for first-degree murder, she pointed out how criminal investigators never found a murder weapon, a single witness or most importantly, a body.

In rejecting Golyar’s appeal Friday, the Nebraska Supreme Court relied on volumes of circumstantial evidence amassed by investigators in one of the most bizarre romantic obsession murders the state has ever seen.

The 43-year-old woman not only killed Cari Faver for kindling a relationship with the man Golyar was obsessed with, she spent four years impersonating the victim in text messages, emails and Facebook postings. A unanimous Supreme Court ruled that overwhelming circumstantial evidence in the case overcame the lack of a body or doubts about premeditation.

“A rational fact finder ... could conclude the state proved Golyar killed Farver purposely and with deliberate and premeditated malice. There is no merit to Golyar’s claim that the evidence was insufficient to support her conviction for first degree murder,” Judge Stephanie Stacy wrote in the court’s opinion.

Oh my gosh! Fingerprints on a pack of gum found in the car and bloodstains at the boyfriend's residence (they were both dating him) were what led to Goylar's arrest. $5 million dollar bond!!!

New to this case but don't see any links citing where Cari's blood was located at the bf's (Dave K) residence -- only seeing that the victim's blood was found on the seat cushion of victim's Ford Explorer.

Guilty of murder or just bizarre behavior? Golyar case now in judge's hands

Prosecutors said Farver was killed in Douglas County because she was last seen leaving David A. Kroupa’s Omaha apartment and planned to go to work at West Corp., also in Omaha. Investigators found Farver’s blood on the passenger seat of her black Ford Explorer. Farver’s phone was pinged to a location near Golyar’s Omaha residence days after Farver went missing.

But Davis argued that no one proved how the blood stains got in the vehicle, and the phone ping was days after the alleged crime was committed.

“(The blood) doesn’t prove a stabbing at all. It simply proves that blood was shed, and the blood was Cari Farver’s,” Davis said. “The presence of those phones in Douglas County doesn’t mean that a criminal act was committed here.”

Last edited:
NOV 9, 2018
Supreme Court rejects appeal in bizarre case of woman who posed as romantic rival after killing her
When Shanna Golyar asked the state’s high court to reverse her conviction and life sentence for first-degree murder, she pointed out how criminal investigators never found a murder weapon, a single witness or most importantly, a body.

The Supreme Courts 28-page response and unanimous decision affirming Golyar's conviction and sentence is a very good read for anybody interested in "NO BODY" convictions.

Nebraska Judicial Branch - ePublication Service

Did anyone else watch the Dateline episode?

I hadn't heard of this case before, but clocked on early that it was Golyar doing all of this. What a twisted woman. I'm glad she's never going to see the light of day again.

I hope that Dave Kroupa's memory of Cari can now focus on the good times they had for two weeks, rather than the 'Crazy Cari' he thought she was.

I just found it but only after watching 20/20 Tangled Web which aired on 12/4/2020!

The Dateline episode is titled "Scorned."

Scorned, Part 7

I knew nothing about this case but watched the new Lifetime movie The Disappearance of Cari Farver that premiered last night. It was actually pretty good - much better than The Gabby Petito Story that premiered last week. I'd give the Cari Farver movie a B - worthwhile if you followed the case.

About the Movie​

The Disappearance of Cari Farver is based on a true story and the subject of Leslie Rule’s bestselling true-crime book A Tangled Web. Dave Kroupa (Zach Gilford, Good Girls, Friday Night Lights) is shocked when his new girlfriend, Cari Farver (Rebecca Amzallag), starts sending him demanding texts. When Dave ends the relationship, he finds himself on the receiving end of an onslaught of twisted messages from Cari, who has abruptly disappeared. Dave’s ex-girlfriend, Liz (Alicia Witt, Friday Night Lights, The Walking Dead), also begins receiving harassing texts from Cari, resulting in a dangerous situation for them both. Meanwhile, Cari’s mother Nancy (Lea Thompson, Back to the Future, Switched at Birth) continually searches for her, keeping the pressure on the police who eventually uncover a shocking discovery.

Last edited:
On November 13, 2012, 37-year-old Cari Farver mysteriously vanishes into thin air. In the days & months that follow, Cari's loved ones receive a string of strange texts from her, indicating she is alive and well, in Season 15, Episode 6, "Killer Catfish."

Couple of great podcasts about this case:

Liz Golyar’s mugshot.

Farver’s family reported her missing to police in the following months. Her bank account was untouched, she had left her teenage son in her mother’s care without any indication that she wouldn’t be returning and, finally, she missed her brother’s wedding.

Farver’s mother, Nancy Raney, told ABC News she also received strange text messages from her “daughter,” with one claiming that she had taken a new job in Kansas. But Raney said her daughter refused to speak on the phone.

Pottawatomie County (Iowa) Sheriff’s Office detectives Ryan Avis and Jim Doty later came to the conclusion that Farver was likely killed that November 2012 day when the threatening text messages began, according to the documentary.

Farver’s body has never been recovered — but in a 2016 search of her car, police found dried blood under the driver’s seat upholstery that matched her DNA profile.

Over the next four years, until Golyar’s 2016 arrest, Kroupa received 18,000 threatening emails and 50,000 text messages from accounts he believed were Farver’s.

• Cari was murdered by a woman who had dated the same man, although it took years for that to come to light.
  • Two of the Pottawattamie County investigators who cracked the case — which had gone cold — say they want to keep Cari's memory alive.
  • Sgt. Jim Doty and Special Dep. Anthony Kava helped to set up a scholarship fund in Cari's name at Iowa Western Community College: farverscholarship.org
  • "At the end of the day, this was a lot more than just a TV show to entertain people. It was a real case with real victims: Cari's mom, her son, her family,” said Doty.
  • "... And one of the other things that bugged us about this case is that there were all these criminal acts that were attributed to Cari and she was kind of blamed for them and it hurt her reputation and it wasn't deserved at all," said Kava.

I watched the recent Netflix doc. L/S/K, and followed that up with the Dateline episode & also the A&E episode re: this extremely horrific & disturbing CF case. All three were well-done; and, IMHO it was beneficial to watch all of these - given that they complemented each other. I.e., there were some details missing in L/S/K that were in the other 2 programs, etc. I hadn't heard much about this before watching these, and it really helped "fill in the blanks" re: the specifics of this case.

Re: the first "meeting" of CF & SG (outside of DK's apt., after SG told him that she needed to pick up some things she had left there) - I suspect that SG was stalking DK even then, and saw him come home with CF. This led to her calling him & interrupting the 'date', almost certainly due to jealousy on her part.

This is a truly terrifying case/crime. The fact that SG was so crafty as to be able to successfully pretend to be CF off & on for years was amazing. Also, the amount of time/work it took for her to follow DK around (it was obvious she was close-by at times since she told him she could see what he was doing, etc.) was incredible. I don't know how she ever was able to get any work done and/or raise her kids - given that she was spending all of her time stalking DK. Horrible & insidious.

Last edited:
Part 2:

IMHO what made it seem like CF was still alive (when she obviously wasn't) were all of these texts purported to be coming from her; her assumed "mental break" by the authorities (which allegedly explained her quitting her job & disappearance); etc.

It's also extremely evident that if it weren't for the long hours/expertise/dedication of the IT staff that worked on this case (who ultimately traced the supposed CF texts to SG)....everyone would still be in the dark re: what happened here.

I find it interesting that SG was convicted of this no-body crime. Yes, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence - i.e. the texts coming from her pretending to be CF; the mint tin in CF's car with SG's fingerprint(s); etc. However, all of us have heard of no-body cases with more evidence against the suspected perp. - that have ended up without a conviction.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back