NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

I never got the vibe that Jason was gay, but I didn't know he had a learning disability either. I might speak with the family when walking my dog. Very nice people. My parents knew them better, because they each represented their parishes in the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul doing food pantry and assistance.

I saw film of a young man who went missing in Nashville this week. My first thought was it was mysterious, like Jason. But it wasn't really. They know this young man had been removed from a bar. They had video of him stumbling up the street. They found his ATM card at the last place it was used.

I'm pretty hard on the police for the delayed response, but to them, it must have looked like every runaway situation they have seen. That's what makes this so fascinating to people. Alien abduction is as good as any other theory we can come up with because there are so few clues.

I wanted to believe that he had run away. Over the years that hope has faded.

I think the answer lies in the neighbourhood, particularly with one specific neighbour

I wonder if anything would be found with a very thorough search of that property (but probably not). I also wonder if that neighbor left behind a note that said anything of interest, even if it was vague. (I guess we will never know, though.)

I wonder if anything would be found with a very thorough search of that property (but probably not). I also wonder if that neighbor left behind a note that said anything of interest, even if it was vague. (I guess we will never know, though.)
Yeah, agreed. It would be interesting to know if any new flooring was laid or intensive gardening. I would very much hope a note that seemed significant would have been passed to LE...but of course that's not necessarily the case.

Maybe L/E could use AI to process all the information they have collected and direct them to a suspect, run away scenario, accident or self harm. Nothing else has worked so this would be worth considering.

Yeah, agreed. It would be interesting to know if any new flooring was laid or intensive gardening. I would very much hope a note that seemed significant would have been passed to LE...but of course that's not necessarily the case.
Going through old Google maps views of the neighborhood, there's a couple of houses nearby whose yards have been materially transformed over the decades.

Re: JJ's preferences, I suspect he was straight. Obviously, this is IMHO only. Note that I base this opinion on a series of posts on another forum. These were posted at least 12-14+ years ago, and I don't even know if the site(s) are still up. Specifically, these were from a woman who said that she knew JJ when he was in college - in the months?! leading up to his vanishing. She mentioned that he was definitely romantically interested in her, though she wasn't interested in him (in that way) & didn't reciprocate. So, they were just friends. She even mentioned that she wished that he had called her for a ride that day - and that if he had, he would probably still be around.

Note that I'm not naive enough to believe everything I read online - especially when the source can't be verified. However, after spending an extensive amount of time researching this case - this woman's posts hold true. I.e., she knew a lot of personal info. about JJ & about the case, some of which I hadn't read anywhere else. And, in one of the threads she even answered questions from some other posters re: JJ.

As far as JJ being single @ age 19, I don't find that unusual/suspicious at all. A lot of young women in JJ's age range may have been mainly interested in dating the "bad boy" types & may not have been interested in him ATT - and that's not a criticism of JJ. Also, note that he had a mild learning disability in that he wasn't able to "process" a lot of information quickly. Going along with this (and I'm just speculating here), but I wonder if this may have made it more difficult for him to date?! I.e., everyone who's been out there is obviously aware that successful dating/relationships rely on being able to "read" social cues/signals/etc. - this is especially important in the initial stages. So, someone who was not able to do this successfully would certainly have had a rougher/more difficult time navigating the dating scene.

I have also followed this case for years. I agree with your thoughts and those of other longtimers here that foul play is what happened. I think even LE ended up posting the same on their listings at one time.

Going through old Google maps views of the neighborhood, there's a couple of houses nearby whose yards have been materially transformed over the decades.
Yes. Mine was one of them. 3350 N 47th Ave

I think there have been 2-3 owners since me, and I know they took out a lot of trees, a shed, and changed the fencing.

I suppose if a garden has been totally dug out by a different owner and nothing was found then that would probably eliminate that particular property.
If a garden was totally remodelled very soon after Jason disappeared by the same occupant who was there at the time then that would be a bit more suspicious.

Of course it may also be just normal remodelling of houses and gardens in suburbia! It's hardly hard evidence haha
Of course just because someone from the neighbourhood MAY be responsible it doesn't necessarily mean that's where is final resting place is.

I'll probably get lambasted, but can't help but to throw out a thought, that I have yet to see anywhere, though with everything written, surely it has come up.

Everyone is suspect when there are no genuine suspects. Yet, the one who I've not seen considered are the police. I'm not naming any one person, and couldn't anyway. But, if one wants to speculate on how Jason might have without resistance entered someone's vehicle, that is certainly a reasonable candidate.
The OPD is not a small town force, so it would seem to make it 'less' likely (not impossible) for there to have been a situation arise that got swept under the proverbial rug. But, if the family, neighbors, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and any public or private workmen in the area were all eyed with suspicion, why not the OPD?

Though in making that list, another possible group has come to mind. Also, along the lines of someone Jason would have 'trusted' and felt obliged to do as they requested, teachers. Even while there was still activity with summer school, it seems there are cams in the parking lots of the two adjcent schools, ruling out a chance encounter there. However, if, being summer break, many of the teachers were also on break, they probably were at home. And, if one of them lived in the neighborhood behind the school, then . . . whether from their house, garage or yard, or even car, saw Jason (who they'd taught two years earlier) . . . who knows.
So, there we have TWO new threads to explore.

Agree with these thoughts in post #589. My strong opinion is that JJ got into a car or went into a house on his way to the H.S. & that this somehow led to his demise. And if he got into a car, it was almost certainly driven by someone that he knew or someone he didn't know - but trusted.

Everyone is suspect when there are no genuine suspects.
I agree. Without any leads. Everyone is. Neighbors, family, everybody.

A couple people have brought up the fact that Jeremy Sheets, the likely killer of Kenyatta Bush was released from prison the same day that Jason disappeared. I'm not saying that he did it. North Omaha was kind of upset that day. What if there was a group of persons that mistook Jason for him, maybe even law enforcement. Unlikely, but everything is a possibility when there are no leads.

Since it seems we have some new folks who are following this thread, I wanted to post the link to the excellent Unfounded podcast: JJ: The Cubs Fan who didn't come home (2016). I know many have already heard this (since it was probably posted earlier). But, given that it can sometimes be laborious to look through older posts in long threads, I thought this link may be beneficial. Mods, I hope this is OK. Note this podcast features a very insightful interview with JJ's mother, KM:

A couple people have brought up the fact that Jeremy Sheets, the likely killer of Kenyatta Bush was released from prison the same day that Jason disappeared. I'm not saying that he did it. North Omaha was kind of upset that day. What if there was a group of persons that mistook Jason for him...

Yes, I've heard the JS theory before. His pic. is online - and was also posted on here earlier. He did slightly resemble JJ from the stand-point that they were both Caucasian & had dark hair; but I'm not sure how tall JS was in relation to JJ. However, JS is obviously older & definitely looked older than JJ. That being said, I guess I can kind of see how JJ could have been mistaken for him - if they both had roughly the same height/build/etc.

Last edited:
I'll probably get lambasted, but can't help but to throw out a thought, that I have yet to see anywhere, though with everything written, surely it has come up.

Everyone is suspect when there are no genuine suspects. Yet, the one who I've not seen considered are the police. I'm not naming any one person, and couldn't anyway. But, if one wants to speculate on how Jason might have without resistance entered someone's vehicle, that is certainly a reasonable candidate.
The OPD is not a small town force, so it would seem to make it 'less' likely (not impossible) for there to have been a situation arise that got swept under the proverbial rug. But, if the family, neighbors, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and any public or private workmen in the area were all eyed with suspicion, why not the OPD?

Though in making that list, another possible group has come to mind. Also, along the lines of someone Jason would have 'trusted' and felt obliged to do as they requested, teachers. Even while there was still activity with summer school, it seems there are cams in the parking lots of the two adjcent schools, ruling out a chance encounter there. However, if, being summer break, many of the teachers were also on break, they probably were at home. And, if one of them lived in the neighborhood behind the school, then . . . whether from their house, garage or yard, or even car, saw Jason (who they'd taught two years earlier) . . . who knows.
So, there we have TWO new threads to explore.
Let me nudge these investigative lines further, by those who know of and/or have more access to resources.
Police: Has anyone other than the police watched the school's cam footage for that time period? In fact, does it even exist? It was over a week after he was reported missing before any 'investigation' was launched, which is disturbing itself. While today's hard drive storage of video, allows storing more data, at that time the school may have been using tapes that were written over after a certain period of time.
As well, while it is thought that a school official and/or security personnel would have reviewed the 'footage', this isn't necessarily the case; it could have been turned over to the police immediately upon their request. It is important that it be seen by other entities. Had, indeed, Jason arrived at the school(s) before his ride showed up, had an ego infused P.O. confronted Jason? It happens, we know it does. There were few people at the school at the time.
Teachers: Were there any teachers at Benson High (from Jason's years there) who lived in the neighborhood? Who here can explore that thread? The Benson High yearbook is available online. Property sales records should be available to aid in investigating this possibility. But, property ownership is not fully sufficient to eliminate suspects, as it would not reveal leasing tenants. Address records of that day would also need to be sought, to fully vet this prospect. Who in Omaha could do this?

2. a theory I just came up with. Again, highly unlikely, but we're talking about a 1-in-a-million missing person case so pretty much anything short of alien abduction goes.
I listened to that brief snippet of Jason's radio talk, and the very first thought floating into my brain was "that sounds kind of a gay voice".
Again, that's just what I thought. No judgement on that.
So my mind started to wander...he was a shy, quiet, apparently nice and lovable young man who didn't have a lot of friends nor an expanded social circle, and pretty much lived his life between his family, his job, and the church. What if the reason why he didn't have a lot of friends was that he was gay, and struggling with his sexuality? What if he had just met someone who he was seeing? What if his habit of going for a walk late of night was him sneaking about to this person's house? Christian families in the Midwest could be...awkward around homosexuality, especially back in 2001. If I were gay in that context, I'd probably keep it secret or at least low key. Plus, he had his own cellphone, which couldn't be inspected because he vanished with him.
There is no evidence he ever had any romantic female interest, which would also be unusual for a 19 year old boy (although by all means not unique).
So in this scenario, maybe this person was in fact a predator who made advantage of this sweet young boy struggling with his sexuality. This person lived along the way to the high school, or close to it. Jason was supposed to meet him later in the day as usual, but then his plan got disrupted, and while on his way to high school he stopped at this person's house to tell him. Something happened, and Jason got killed.
Did his mother or brother ever discussed his sexuality?
Something along these lines would be my best guess.

I've mooted the theory before that Jason was gay, or struggling with his sexuality, and this was taken advantage of by an individual, possibly someone connected to the church. It is often shot down on here for reasons unclear to me. As you said, we have a shy young man, no girlfriend or love life to speak of, no real social circle, from a devout Catholic home. I think the key lies in Jason's personal life. Grown teenagers don't disappear like that without more going on behind the scenes. If Jason was gay or uncertain about his sexual orientation, he would've been vulnerable and open to exploitation. We should at least entertain the theory because there are few other angles to explore that aren't bordering on overimaginative.

Now it is possible that Jason was targeted by a random neighbor, but what are the odds? Jason's plans get changed at the last minute, and on the short walk to the school, he just happens to cross paths with a predatory killer? I don't really buy into that. I've never known a case like that before. I've long held the opinion that Jason deliberately made a stop that morning and that's what resulted in his disappearance.

I've long held the opinion that Jason deliberately made a stop that morning and that's what resulted in his disappearance
I think you're on to something here.
I've long believed someone in that neighbourhood was responsible but I coukd never work out why Jason woukd stop in at someone's house when he was on such a tight schedule, especially since the lady who was giving him a lift warned him not to be late. And honestly Jason just seems too responsible to waste her time. He was willing to walk miles to get to work so that tells me he's a dedicated and responsible guy.
But as you say, his plans had just changed that morning. So it might make sense that he had to inform someone that his plans had changed and he either wouldn't be able to stop by later or see them or do whatever he was meant to be doing. He just popped in on his way to his rendezvous in the school parking lot to let them know. Only for some reason...he never made it out again.

Question is, who and why? It would be extremely interesting to know what his actual plans for that day had been before work called.

I wouldn't like to speculate on Jason's preferences, but I don't think it's relevant in this particular case. I don't think Jason's preferences would matter particularly to someone who was obsessed or stalking him.
In my own opinion (for what it's worth...maybe nothing) I think the answer lies in the neighbourhood, particularly with one specific neighbour who killed himself not too long after. As for motive; on that i have no clue. Perhaps it was an accident.
Maybe it doesn't matter which preferences Jason himself had, but I think we can safely assume that if someone was obsessed with Jason and was stalking him, it was most certainly a man.

And to be fair, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Jason's disappearance having such an odd timeline might NOT be a coincidence after all. It might have been someone who was stalking him and that might have been the first chance he had to get to him, since Jason would usually drive directly from his place to the restaurant, and I imagine he would attend the church with his parents.

I also hate to speculate on his romantic interests/preferences, and I do feel uneasy while doing that because it borders on morbid, but the reason why I think it *might* be relevant is that gay teenagers in religious families in the Midwest in 2001 would probably stay in the closet and be very secretive about their romantic life, and that could explain why no person of interest was ever linked to Jason - because it might be the case that Jason was the only one in his circle to know this person at all, or at least know that this person had a link to him in some way.

Also, it might not even be that Jason himself was gay. It might just have been Jason being naive and accidentally leading someone else on, or misunderstanding someone else's attentions, or just being unable to say no. It happens to girls, it can happen to boys; and Jason was consistently described as a fairly unassuming guy who would never think bad of people.

As always, I might be completely wrong, and I acknowledge this is some very wild speculation. But I think it might a theory worth exploring simply because no one literally has any credible lead at this point, and it's not like the idea that he was randomly abducted in broad daylight in a residential street by someone who then killed him for no reason and hid his body is any less puzzling...

Last edited:
I've mooted the theory before that Jason was gay, or struggling with his sexuality, and this was taken advantage of by an individual, possibly someone connected to the church. It is often shot down on here for reasons unclear to me.
I was tempted to mentally shoot your theory down due an initial belief that it was centered on a belief that there would automatically be homosexual predators in a Catholic church.

But..... after reading your posts several times, I think they make perfect sense. In summary of your points:

- No indications what so ever of high risk lifestyle (drugs, self destructive or erratic behavior etc).
- Very unlikely to be victimized by a random predator due to male gender and over all size.

So.... as you said, they answer likely lies in his social circle. This circle was limited to a Church and that Church happened to be Catholic. It makes sense to consider that possibility. Likewise, a possible motive would be related to sexuality.

In addition to a church connection given that motive, his work place(s) should also be considered as it can also be a social circle.

Had his social circle been limited to say a secular community theatre group, or say, a secular volunteer group at the local nature center, then it would make sense to check there- for the same possible motive.

I agree, at this point every idea is worth exploring to it fullest, it might lead to the answer.
I'm totally unqualified to talk about Catholic families in the mid West and his family's reaction may have been a major factor in secrecy whether it be a relationship with a male or female. Jason's father I believe had wanted him to join a seminary so that would be a significant indication of belief.
There doesn't seem to be any evidence at all that Jason was gay, but that means nothing. I seem to remember he had been flirting with one of the girls he worked with who had knocked him back, but I read that a long long time ago so I can't remember any details now.

I do think it was someone Jason knew and someone from his neighbourhood who he just popped in to see on his way for his ride.

I cannot see an abduction at this time or in this neighbourhood. Nor can I see him stumbling onto a crime scene and being murdered (like, murder would make a perty drug deal 100 times worse!) And I don't think he was mistaken for another criminal and murdered; he was in his own neighbourhood where people knew him. No, I'm convinced whatever happened happened specifically between his home and that school.

I just wish we knew for instance; had he been helping someone out, doing their gardening, fetching their bin in regularly etc as that would seem like a good place to start.

This circle was limited to a Church and that Church happened to be Catholic. It makes sense to consider that possibility. Likewise, a possible motive would be related to sexuality.
I agree.
Just to note, the man who committed suicide in the neighbourhood after Jason's disappearance- he lived with his mother and both were active members of Jason's Church. So much so in fact that a special dispensation was made so that he could have a Catholic funeral (which was not usually given to people who commit suicide).

I've mooted the theory before that Jason was gay, or struggling with his sexuality, and this was taken advantage of by an individual, possibly someone connected to the church. It is often shot down on here for reasons unclear to me.
@Cryptic ”I was tempted to mentally shoot your theory down due an initial belief that it was centered on a belief that there would automatically be homosexual predators in a Catholic church.”

That’s a good one, Cryptic!

My reasons are usually:

A) there’s no evidence to assume such, and the assumptions are usually predicated upon “single young guy, no girlfriend’ with perhaps ‘it was <sometime before, say, the year 2000>’ sprinkled in, all of which are very shaky supports for the speculation to begin with

and

B) single young women before the 21st century don’t seem to get this sort of speculation about their sexuality relative to possible reasons for their disappearance/murder/etc.

Which I find interesting in itself, but overall it makes me think there’s some sort of underlying/unconscious bias going on. And by ‘bias’ I don’t mean anyone ‘hates gays’, I mean that clearly we (as a society) find it strange when a teenage boy/young man doesn’t have a girlfriend, so therefore he must be gay and hiding it, or maybe we don’t understand why he ran away/committed suicide/etc == gay. Either way, a logical fallacy.

Most importantly, I usually don’t think it is a productive sort of speculation - it doesn’t add anything to a potential theory. For instance, let’s assume we know for a fact that Jason is straight. He still might have been abducted/stalked/etc by a priest, male predator, obsessed gay guy, what-have you. If we know for a fact that he’s gay, that doesn’t seem to change the equation, which is ultimately that everyone should be a suspect, regardless of gender or sexuality, because we have zero idea what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back