NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

This has most likely been asked and maybe even answered before but does anyone have any idea as to what Jason would have been doing that day had he not been called into work early? I am just trying to get a handle on what, if any, plans he may have cancelled with someone?
It may of course be thast he no plans at all.

In order to target Jason specifically at that time someone would need to be aware of all of these last minute changes of his routine, and get him into a car unnecessarily and all this in a suburban neighborhood.
I fully agree with you and @MangoCove

The fact that he usually drove to work coupled with the schedule change would seem to leave two possibilities:

1- Targeted in the sense in that the perpetrator had a pre disposition to harm him, noticed him "out and about"- then impulsively acted on it. The totality seems to suggest a neighborhood perpetrator (the odds of "outsiders" cruising in and then finding him seem remote).

2- Random, but as others have noted the odds of an adult male being randomly victimized via kidnapping are very remote.

The other thing to still consider is any potential witnesses that day. A Summer morning would absolutely have at least some people out and about outside- walking, taking their dogs out, children playing outside, gardening, etc. Even Jason's neighbor was out working in the garden when Jason left, and he's likely not the only one. The longer Jason walked for, the more chance there was for someone to see him. This leads me think that either A) he was picked up in a car almost immediately after leaving the house or B) he went into a house on his own block. However, I still think the idea of entering a house is a bit risky on the perp's part. It's a big gamble to lure someone in when all it takes is old man Johnson to see your victim entering your house while looking out his window or working on his lawn. A car on the other hand, is quick and less likely to be remembered, especially if Jason got in willingly. If the car is unfamiliar to neighbors, then they would be less likely to identify it or its driver. My belief is still that Jason got into a car driven by someone he was expecting to see that day, and someone who knew where he lived. It was likely under the assumption that said person could give him a lift to the high school afterwards. The $60 on him is also a bit curious. According to Google, that's equal to about $105 today. For someone who only spends time at home, work, and church, that's a lot of money to just be carrying around. Where would he go where that is "emergency" money? Perhaps he was buying something from someone.

Yes. My understanding was that JJ's car was in the shop due to hail damage. Not sure how long he didn't have access to his car up to the day he disappeared. Also, my understanding was that JJ's parents had been dropping him off & picking him up @ work (while he didn't have his car) prior to his vanishing. I don't believe he had ever walked all the way to/from work before, given that it was a long distance.

The big change that occurred on that particular day was that his work called him in early, so - given that both of his parents were at work - he needed a way to get there. This is why his co-worker either volunteered to pick him up - or was told to do so by someone @ his job.

So, while it seems apparent that JJ's walking through the neighborhood was a familiar sight in the evening(s) in the months leading up to his disappearance - it's not evident that he was walking a lot during the day. So, his being seen walking through the neighborhood during that particular time was probably an anomaly.

Side-note: I know that in the summer(s) in my area, people sometimes walk early in the morning or in the evening - when it's cooler outside. But, it's rare that I see people walking in the afternoon(s) - due to it being the hottest/warmest time of day.
The more that I think about this, the more that I dont think this was a random abductor driving by or in their front yard who spied Jason and suddenly had the thought to abduct Jason, of all people! It was mid morning on a weekday! Plus Jason had been taking long walks for months in the EVENINGS without getting taken! It just does not make sense. I felt a glimmer of hope when I read a comment elsewhere by someone who claimed to have seen JJ by the gas station across from the school that morning. The poster said he recognized JJ from the tv reports afterwards due to several things, including the team shirt he was wearing. I wrote about it earlier on this thread, and about how the poster came forward to LE at the time from what I recall but nothing came of it. If the recounting was real, at least it would give a bit of sense to his disappearance. The reason being is that there was at one time a tunnel under the main road to the gas stn. area, and it was apparently a dicey place to walk. Bending the rules here a bit by even bringing this up again, lol, but at this point...

The other thing to still consider is any potential witnesses that day. A Summer morning would absolutely have at least some people out and about outside- walking, taking their dogs out, children playing outside, gardening, etc. Even Jason's neighbor was out working in the garden when Jason left, and he's likely not the only one. The longer Jason walked for, the more chance there was for someone to see him. This leads me think that either A) he was picked up in a car almost immediately after leaving the house or B) he went into a house on his own block. However, I still think the idea of entering a house is a bit risky on the perp's part. It's a big gamble to lure someone in when all it takes is old man Johnson to see your victim entering your house while looking out his window or working on his lawn. A car on the other hand, is quick and less likely to be remembered, especially if Jason got in willingly. If the car is unfamiliar to neighbors, then they would be less likely to identify it or its driver. My belief is still that Jason got into a car driven by someone he was expecting to see that day, and someone who knew where he lived. It was likely under the assumption that said person could give him a lift to the high school afterwards. The $60 on him is also a bit curious. According to Google, that's equal to about $105 today. For someone who only spends time at home, work, and church, that's a lot of money to just be carrying around. Where would he go where that is "emergency" money? Perhaps he was buying something from someone.

That's an interesting point that if he entered a house nearby then the occupant of said house would be taking a serious risk harming him. Whether it was a random invitation inside or someone he regularly visited, it would have been game over had someone seen Jason enter the house and then appear missing on the evening news.

It doesn't make this scenario impossible though, especially since we know the police waited days before beginning to take the case seriously.

That's an interesting point that if he entered a house nearby then the occupant of said house would be taking a serious risk harming him. Whether it was a random invitation inside or someone he regularly visited, it would have been game over had someone seen Jason enter the house and then appear missing on the evening news.

It doesn't make this scenario impossible though, especially since we know the police waited days before beginning to take the case seriously.
The thing is that Jason was wearing his baseball top, and carrying his work top so he didnt get sweaty walking to the school. So this in itself leads me to think he was not expecting to be picked up in a car around the corner. That it was more of an unexpected lift, if that is what happened.

I also don't think JJ's disappearance involved a stranger. Jason was a 20 year old, able-bodied young man. You'd think he would be intimidating to a person that did not know him based on his size alone. I am inclined to think a predator or stranger wouldn't even attempt to lure or take him by force. He wasn't some little kid. There would have been some sort of fall-out or commotion witnessed.

It had to be someone who knew of his nature or was familiar with him, and JJ of them. This all appears to have happened a little too quietly..

I also don't think JJ's disappearance involved a stranger. Jason was a 20 year old, able-bodied young man. You'd think he would be intimidating to a person that did not know him based on his size alone. I am inclined to think a predator or stranger wouldn't even attempt to lure or take him by force. He wasn't some little kid. There would have been some sort of fall-out or commotion witnessed.

It had to be someone who knew of his nature or was familiar with him, and JJ of them. This all appears to have happened a little too quietly..
I would concur, I think JJ was far too high risk for a random abduction. There would have been much easier targets around and in much easier places to grab them if someone had that in mind.
I'm also skeptical that he was specifically targeted just because his plans for that day dramatically changed. Although it may have been a person he'd informed of the change.

However, I still think the idea of entering a house is a bit risky on the perp's part. It's a big gamble to lure someone in when all it takes is old man Johnson to see your victim entering your house while looking out his window or working on his lawn.
That's an interesting point that if he entered a house nearby then the occupant of said house would be taking a serious risk harming him.
You're both thinking too logically, usually a good thing, however in this case you're assuming someone had murder in mind. If JJ did go to someone's house and either entered voluntarily or was lured in then they may not originally have intended to harm JJ. In this case it wouldn't seem like a concern at all if one of the neighbours saw JJ going in, it probably wouldn't even cross your mind.....until after whatever happened, happened and then you might panic. The perp may just have been lucky that no one actually saw or maybe after 10 days they'd forgot it as irrelevant.

Basically what I'm saying is: if murder wasn't on your mind then you wouldn't be thinking about witnesses, alibis, risks etc.

If JJ entered someone's house on the way to the H.S., I can see how no one may have seen him doing this. During a mid-morning week-day back in 2001, it's conceivable that not too many people would have been out & about in the neighborhood. I.e., most people would have been working, given that WFH wasn't nearly as prevalent ATT. Yes, there may have been stay-at-home spouses; retired people; kids home from school for the summer, etc. But, those @ home may not have necessarily been paying attention to JJ; or, maybe they thought he lived in the house he was entering (if they didn't know him).

If JJ willingly got into a car & if it happened shortly after he left his house, I agree it's even less likely anyone would have seen him. This is given that the whole interaction may have taken 1-2 minutes.

And, how do we know that someone in the neighborhood didn't see something & never reported this?! I can see this happening. Maybe they didn't want to get involved for whatever reason.

I also wonder about the $60 he allegedly had on him when he vanished. Was this specific amount confirmed by his parents/family?! Yes, that is a lot of cash to be carrying around - especially back in 2001. I know that even now I never carry that much cash (even though it's worth a lot less these days) - due to concerns about theft, etc. Was JJ expecting to buy something from someone?! Even if he was planning on getting lunch/dinner at some point before he came home that night (from work), $60 is a lot more than most people would need for a quick meal back in 2001 - even if they're paying for more than 1 person.

Last edited:
You guys have been busy. I saw a couple questions I can answer, but I don't know how relevant my answers are. LOL

Throwing out possibilities, I mentioned a couple of neighborhood suicides maybe a couple years ago now. We've researched them as dead ends a couple of times. The guy across the street from my house asphyxiated himself in the garage. Mathew was able to find an article that it was actually almost 2 years after JJ disappeared. I also know a guy who died the same way right after 9/11 and he lived with his mother, in the parish. She has now passed too. That house has been sold.

With both of those guys, I was throwing darts. I was looking for other things in the area to tie JJ's disappearance to. Like most of our guesses, long shots, but anything is possible.

Someone asked if the area was hilly. It is very hilly. Most of Nebraska is pretty flat. Omaha is glacial till by a river. Benson Highschool sits on top of a hill. Someone used to the walking there wouldn't find it a challenge though.

I also wonder about the $60 he allegedly had on him when he vanished. Was this specific amount confirmed by his parents/family?! Yes, that is a lot of cash to be carrying around - especially back in 2001. I know that even now I never carry that much cash (even though it's worth a lot less these days) - due to concerns about theft, etc. Was JJ expecting to buy something from someone?! Even if he was planning on getting lunch/dinner at some point before he came home that night (from work), $60 is a lot more than most people would need for a quick meal back in 2001 - even if they're paying for more than 1 person.

It isn't known exactly how much money he had with him. $60 is simply the maximum estimated amount of money he had with him.

You guys have been busy. I saw a couple questions I can answer, but I don't know how relevant my answers are. LOL

Throwing out possibilities, I mentioned a couple of neighborhood suicides maybe a couple years ago now. We've researched them as dead ends a couple of times. The guy across the street from my house asphyxiated himself in the garage. Mathew was able to find an article that it was actually almost 2 years after JJ disappeared. I also know a guy who died the same way right after 9/11 and he lived with his mother, in the parish. She has now passed too. That house has been sold.

With both of those guys, I was throwing darts. I was looking for other things in the area to tie JJ's disappearance to. Like most of our guesses, long shots, but anything is possible.

Someone asked if the area was hilly. It is very hilly. Most of Nebraska is pretty flat. Omaha is glacial till by a river. Benson Highschool sits on top of a hill. Someone used to the walking there wouldn't find it a challenge though.
Thanks for weighing in. The hill on Bedford Ave looks daunting to me, but you're right, someone who's used to walking it probably is used to it.
Do you happen to know which neighbor's house was searched, by chance?

Here are my recent thoughts on the "unexpected person offers him a ride or asks him to enter their car" angle.

This person could have offered a ride directly to Fazolis, to the school parking lot, or to a third location such as their house. They would have to deal with the problem of the ride waiting in the school parking lot if they wanted to take him anywhere else.

Jason had his cell phone with him and probably would have immediately called Fazoli's about any sudden change in arrangements, even if it was just to say that he'd be late to the parking lot. No such call was received.

The lack of a phone call from his cell phone indicates that he did not enter a vehicle at any point.

IMHO JJ would not have made a call to anyone from his cell phone if someone picked him up in a car & offered to take him directly to the school parking lot. If that was what happened, he would have gotten to the H.S. earlier than planned, not later. Plus, his co-worker picking him up didn't have a cell-phone (which I suspect he was aware of). So, he couldn't get ahold of her directly.

I don't think JJ would have willingly gotten into a car unless he thought he was going to be driven directly to the H.S. parking lot. As has been discussed, he didn't have a lot of time to linger/make another stop/etc. Obviously, this is just IMHO.

In any case - if the car possibility is what actually happened, then something occurred after he got into the car that led to his vanishing.

As has also been discussed, I seriously doubt that someone tried to get JJ into the car under duress - considering the time of day & the fact that JJ was a young adult male.

Last edited:
I agree with @MatthewTyler, and I've said it before, that Jason didn't get far before he vanished. He was intercepted by a neighbor, a driver, or he visited someone nearby. I tend to favor the latter. I don't believe in coincidences with this case. Jason just happened to have his car in the shop, had a sudden change of plans, and got abducted by an opportunistic predator? I could see that happening to a younger, smaller male, but not to a 6 foot tall 18 year-old. Not in the middle of the morning in sunny suburbia.

If it can be substantiated that Jason arranged the pickup at Benson High, that strengthens my belief that he deliberately picked it because he knew he could make a quick stop en route to the school.

Not knowing the area, I hope someone else who does can offer a better opinion.
I am just wondering whether it is reasonable to think that he would have gotten onto a car if someone offerred him a lift to the school. I know on the face of it, it does seem very reasonable, but if I was just a few blocks away from my destination my own personal reaction would be "no, it's fine, it's only over there". However that may be my own feelings based on not wanting to incovenience others and get in a strange vehicle.

I struggle with the car scenario because for Jason to get in the car then he must have known the person. I think the person would had to just happen to be passing (I don't buy a planned scenario) and then in a very spur of the moment idea decided to kidnap a , basically, grown man (who has a phone) from literally right outside his own neighbourhood.

My preference for a scenario would be that Jason stopped in somewhere on his way. Whatever happened in that property would also have to be spur of the moment/accidental but it seems much more possible to hide the fact in a home where no nosey neigbours can watch then in a vehicle?

Now- way back in the mysts of time in 1 of the threads I have a vague recollection that Jason was supposed to be helping out at church that morning and had called them to cancel. I am not pointing fingers anywhere, but I would like to point out that this means there were people/a person who were aware that his plans had changed. (If I am remebering this info incorrectly please do correct me).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnySomber
Back