GUILTY NE - Sydney Loofe, 24, brutally murdered, Lincoln, 15 Nov 2017 #4 *Boswell appeal 2023*

Jurors took less than four hours to find Boswell, 26, guilty of first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder and improper disposal of human remains.

A three-judge panel will later decide if Boswell should be sentenced to death or to life in prison, the two options for someone convicted of first-degree murder. Boswell could become the first woman sentenced to death in Nebraska.

The Nebraska Attorney General's Office, which prosecuted the case, has said it will argue that the heinous nature of the crime warrants the death penalty.

Boswell, a former high school basketball and track standout from Leon, Iowa, does not have a history of assault crimes, which will likely be a mitigating factor against capital punishment.

Boswell's 53-year-old boyfriend, Aubrey Trail was found guilty of first-degree murder a year ago. Jurors in his case took less than three hours to arrive at a verdict, a lightning-fast decision after hearing more nearly three weeks of sometimes grisly testimony.

His sentencing hearing is scheduled to begin in December.

Bailey Boswell convicted of first-degree murder in the death of Sydney Loofe

What was she like as a person? Fairly normal highschool girl?

View attachment 267772[/QUOTE]
I was BB’s manager for 2-3 years at a restaurant near her hometown in Iowa. At this time she was finishing high school. I’ve been following this case from day one and am absolutely sickened and appalled . My brain can not comprehend this heinous premeditated murder of a innocent stranger. My thoughts and prayers are with the Loofe family. I hope the jury finds BB guilty on all counts and we get justice for Sydney.

I am so, so happy at this outcome. The prosecution did an excellent job. Bailey didn't seem at all surprised at the verdict, though who could blame her... these two were just about the most incompetent criminals ever. So glad they're both off the streets forever.

I was BB’s manager for 2-3 years at a restaurant near her hometown in Iowa. At this time she was finishing high school. I’ve been following this case from day one and am absolutely sickened and appalled . My brain can not comprehend this heinous premeditated murder of a innocent stranger. My thoughts and prayers are with the Loofe family. I hope the jury finds BB guilty on all counts and we get justice for Sydney.

I've followed this case from the beginning. I don't know anyone involved. I have been praying for justice for Sydney. Justice has now been served and I hope this helps provide her family with some sense of peace. My prayers remain with them.

AT is a psychopath, IMO. He's clearly diverse from a criminal standpoint. He went from being a long-time thief and con-artist to premeditating and carrying out a heinous murder of an innocent young woman. But it appears to me that at least while in high school, BB had everything going for her. The question I have in my mind is what went wrong with BB? I'm sure a lot of people wonder the same thing.

I agree 100% with the verdict on her guilt.

From what I have read About her background, she wasn’t always like this. In your opinion when did this change? From what I’ve read it seems like the transition happened in college when she met her babies daddy. Would be interested in your views

I also wonder the same thing. Her "picker" is beyond broken, IMO.

I am so, so happy at this outcome. The prosecution did an excellent job. Bailey didn't seem at all surprised at the verdict, though who could blame her... these two were just about the most incompetent criminals ever. So glad they're both off the streets forever.

Amen!

Bailey Boswell's attorneys request new trial, seek limit on victim impact statements

October 23, 2020

A week after a jury in Lexington found her guilty of Sydney Loofe’s murder, Bailey Boswell’s attorneys have filed a motion for a new trial and asked the judge to limit victim impact statements to the Lincoln woman’s parents.
[.....]
A three-judge panel hasn’t yet been appointed for the mitigation and aggravation stage.

In the motion filed Wednesday, Boswell’s attorney, Todd Lancaster, objected to written or oral victim impact statements being included in a presentence investigation from anyone other than Loofe’s parents, pointing to state statutes that define victims as the nearest surviving relatives.
[.....]
In the other motion, Lancaster alleged irregularities at trial, misconduct or other errors that he said prevented Boswell from having a fair trial.

Wednesday, November 4th:
*Motion Hearing (@ 3pm CT) - NE - Sydney Loofe (24) (Nov. 15, 2017, Lincoln; found Dec. 4 & 5, 2017) – *Bailey M. Boswell (23/now 25) charged & indicted (6/11/18) & arraigned (8/6/18) with 1st degree murder & improper disposal of human remains & charged (3/1/19) & recharged (8/9/19) with 2 counts of conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial began with jury selection on 9/23/20 & trial began on 9/25/20. (thru 10/14/20). Saline County to Lexington, Dawson County for trial. Jurors: 8 men & 7 women. After alternates dismissed-Jurors: 8 men & 4 women for deliberations. 10/14/20: Jury found her guilty of all charges.
Court info & Jury Selection (thru Day 2) & Trial (thru Day 12) 3/3/20, 9/23/20 thru 10/13/20 reference post #549 here:
GUILTY - NE - Sydney Loofe, 24, brutally murdered, Lincoln, 15 Nov 2017 #4

10/14/20 Day 13 of Trial (Day 15 on twitter): Judge read the jury instructions. The jury will be sequestered while deciding verdict. Deliberations started at 9:11am & ended at 12:30pm (3 hours 15 minutes). Verdict: guilty of first degree murder, guilty of improper disposal of human remains & guilty of conspiracy to commit murder. A three-judge panel will later decide if Boswell should be sentenced to death or to life in prison, the two options for someone convicted of first-degree murder. Boswell could become the first woman sentenced to death in Nebraska. No date given. Defense Todd Lancaster made a motion to allow the defendant Boswell to stay at the jail in Lexington until sentencing after she was found guilty of murder on Wednesday at the Dawson County Courthouse. District Judge Vicky Johnson overruled the motion.
10/21/20 Update: A week after a jury in Lexington found her guilty of Sydney’s murder, Bailey Boswell’s attorneys have filed a motion for a new trial. In the motion filed Wednesday, Boswell’s attorney, Todd Lancaster, objected to written or oral victim impact statements being included in a presentence investigation from anyone other than Loofe’s parents, pointing to state statutes that define victims as the nearest surviving relatives. In the other motion, Lancaster alleged irregularities at trial, misconduct or other errors that he said prevented Boswell from having a fair trial. A three-judge panel hasn’t yet been appointed for the mitigation & aggravation stage. Next motion hearing on 11/4/20.
*Aubrey C. Trail (51/now 53) – Found guilty of all charges 7/8/19. A 3-judge panel will hear penalty phase. 11/15/19: Judge denies Trail’s death penalty challenge. Judge denies motion for new trial. Aggravation & Mitigation hearings on 12/15 thru 12/18/20.

I had to put this link into Outline - where they shorten up the article - was wondering if there might be a date in the original article? Nothing on the court site today.

Judge recuses probation office from work on Boswell case after social media post

Nov. 5, 2020

A judge has recused the District 1 probation office in Southeast Nebraska from preparing a pre-sentence investigation in Bailey Boswell's murder case following a probation support staff member's post on social media.

At a hearing in Wilber on Wednesday, Saline County District Judge Vicky Johnson agreed to the motion, raised after District 1 Chief Probation Officer Ashley Griess brought the issue to Johnson's attention.
[.....]
In the post after the jury found Boswell guilty of first-degree murder for Sydney Loofe's killing Nov. 15, 2017, the unnamed staff member said: “Good. Stupid b****. Now, get full justice for Sydney. Dismember Bailey the same way Sydney was.” That staff member is no longer employed with the probation department.

At Wednesday's hearing, Assistant Nebraska Attorney General Mike Guinan said there was no evidence of prejudice but that it may look improper if the District 1 probation office were to prepare the report, even if the employee isn't involved in the work.

Judge continues sentencing hearing for Aubrey Trail over COVID concerns

Dec. 7, 2020
The attorney also raised concerns over the number of people who would be in attendance, saying there was "grave potential that this proceeding could become a significant community spreading event." Murray pointed to a murder trial in Georgia in March where a juror developed symptoms on the third day of trial and was hospitalized the next day.
[.....]
Murray said Trail is in the high-risk category for death or serious illness should he contract COVID-19.

"Putting his life at unnecessary risk, in order to move forward at a hearing in which undersigned counsel aims to save his life, is self-defeating," he wrote.

Murray confirmed Monday afternoon the hearing on the motion to continue didn't happen after his father, co-counsel Joe Murray, tested positive.

Saline County District Judge Vicky Johnson, Cass County District Judge Michael A. Smith and Lancaster County District Judge Susan Strong now are set to hold the hearing in March.

The court site still has hearing in December, so I'll check later this week on the exact dates. Nothing for Boswell in there yet.

Name Court Date Time Rm # Hearing Type Caption Case ID
Trail,Aubrey,C 03/11/2021 9:00AM
Aggravation and Mitigation State v. Aubrey C Trail CR180000037

Trail,Aubrey,C 03/12/2021 9:00AM
Aggravation and Mitigation State v. Aubrey C Trail CR180000037

link: Multi-Court Case Calendar

Still nothing for Boswell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors