GUILTY Netherlands - Malaysia Flight MH17 shot down in Ukraine. 298 aboard. 7/17/2014 #4

Relatives of victims of the passenger Boeing 777 MH17 airliner downed over Donbas in July 2014 have protested near the Russian embassy in the Netherlands and condemned the position of Moscow ....

"In front of the Russian embassy in The Hague relatives of the victims symbolically set 298 white chairs symbolizing the 298 MH17 passengers who were killed. The seats were arranged like they were in the plane, and included aisles," said the report.

The protesters want Russia to answer for the crime it committed.

Relatives of victims of MH17 tragedy protest outside Russian embassy in Netherlands

How do you live on when your world ends?

"As the fifth anniversary of the MH17 tragedy approaches, Maz and Rin are telling their story for the first time. They want to thank the people who helped them and honour their kids and Nick. They hope their story of overcoming intense grief might be helpful for others."

RIP Mo, Evie and Otis

Transcript:
How these parents filled the silence after their children were 'shot out of the sky'

Thank you for posting this. Australian Story is a weekly TV show here - one that always reports on something important for humanity. Always something that is important to many Australians.

What a poignant episode this one is.

‘Dit vergt het uiterste van je kunnen’

Interview with Fred Westerbeke

Chief officer Fred Westerbeke leads the team that conducts criminal investigations into the downing of flight MH17. "That BUK missile didn't just happen to end up in the wrong hands"

Fred Westerbeke would like to give an interview at the end of a year in which many Dutch people have become impatient and finally want to know who was responsible for the disaster, more than three years ago, with flight MH17.

Westerbeke (55) is chief officer of the national public prosecutor's office in Rotterdam and is responsible for the management of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT). In this team, the Netherlands, Ukraine, Malaysia, Australia and Belgium are working on the criminal investigation into the crash on 17 July 2014. The aircraft of Malaysia Airlines was shot down above East Ukraine by a BUK missile. All 298 passengers and crew members, including 196 Dutch, died. We speak with Westerbeke at the national public prosecutor's office in Rotterdam.

How do you look back on this year?

There is no investigation on which so many policemen have worked. You talk about an average of fifty to seventy full-time people. That is a lot. And rightly so, because it is a terrible crime. The people from the four countries with which we work have to be added to this. Many policemen from Australia in particular are still involved, here and in our field office in Kiev.

Many people say: can the investigation not go faster?

I understand that very well. People who are emotionally involved, because they are relatives of victims, who certainly remember their loved ones at this time of year, ask themselves this question. On the other hand, there are many investigations lasting four, five or six years. We have coldcase studies from the last century. Recently, in Germany, the lawsuit was opened for a music festival in which people were squeezed to death, seven years later. I cannot say how fast things are going. However... we do everything we can to get the truth out on the table.

For the outside world, little seems to have happened.

It seems quiet, but a lot is happening. We are not in a dead end. On the contrary. We still find material. Let me give you an example. Intelligence services from Ukraine have recorded hundreds of thousands of telephone calls in what for them are terrorist investigations. Many recordings are currently being made available, they can only now be released once the criminal cases have been completed. It is a search for a number of pins in a haystack. But there are relevant discussions. They take us to witnesses and possible suspects. The picture is coloured step by step. Witnesses are incredibly important. We are trying to persuade people. One witness can be enough for the kind of colouring we need.

Isn't it late to persuade witnesses?

Time can work to your advantage. People think: this needs to be clarified. They become more remorseful. Or they don't want to talk until their safety is assured. We have provisions for this. To this day, people are seeking contact with us. That is not easy by the way, for example, they are in areas where we cannot come. I'm not going to tell details, but there are methods for secure communication.

You hardly ever tell anything about your results. This paves the way for all kinds of theories.

We have not published any new material, but the judiciary has never done so in current criminal cases. You can put your own investigation in trouble if you do so. Judges also take offence, they believe that evidence should be shown at the hearing. And rightly so. Many people ask: when will your report come out? But there will be no report. There will be a criminal file and that goes to the trial. That is where we can be transparent. However, we inform the next of kin as much as possible about what we are doing. We want them to be able to trust us. We want them to know that all kinds of conspiracy theories are wrong. I have said to them on many occasions: yes, I would like nothing better than to say a lot more, but I would put the investigation at risk. I am confident that we will succeed, that we can bring a number of people to account.

Is it a difficult investigation?

Last year in September, we released what exactly happened. This had never been done before in a Dutch investigation. We have told you that MH17 shot down with a BUK, where the BUK came from, and that there were about a hundred persons or interest involved in the operation. But we also said at the time that the most difficult work is yet to come. We are faced with difficult circumstances. We couldn't talk freely to witnesses. Forensically it was very complicated. That has not changed. A civil war is taking place. We cannot get there. The area is still in the hands of what many people call separatists. We are now zooming in on the responsibility of certain people. Who are possible suspects? What have they done? What have they known? What was their purpose? This is even more complicated than determining exactly what happened.

What exactly are you focusing on?

What we are looking at in particular is the precise context of events. We also outlined this context in general terms last year. There was an armed conflict, taking place both on the ground and in the air, with separatists suffering serious losses in the days before 17 July 2014. They needed an anti-aircraft system and have been given a BUK. What is incredibly important to us in this situation is: what has made it possible that the BUK was used to bring down an airplane, and not a fighter plane or an Antonov of Ukraine? Because that was probably the intention.

So you assume that MH17 was more or less accidentally taken down?

"A lot of material points to this scenario. And so it is important to know how that happened. The fact that something happens' accidentally' does not mean that you are not criminally liable." He puts his right hand in front of both eyes. "Let me make this comparison. When, with my hands in front of my eyes, I empty my gun on a group of people, I can say that I did not want to kill anyone. But if that happens afterwards, I am responsible. The question is: what did the crew know about the BUK? What did the superiors know? On the basis of what information did they reach decisions, and what can be attributed to them? In order to gain more insight into this, witnesses are so important."

The fact that the BUK was there, isn't it a crime yet? Because it was war?

Well, it wasn't formally a war. It was a civil war. Compare it to a group of Dutch people who stand up and say they want to belong to Germany. If we say that Twente starts a war with the support of Germans, then we do not say that this is a war, then it is a terrorist act. That is how you have to consider it.

But bringing down MH17 wasn't a stupid act of a drunken soldier or something like that?

That is not obvious. To shoot a BUK, you have to be properly trained. Several people are involved. That BUK missile didn't just happen to end up in the wrong hands.

If it was an error of judgement, it was made by several people?

Let me put it like this: there have been several people involved in the operation. There is no chance that this was a personal mistake of one person.

How can multiple people commit such a blunder?

That is exactly what our research focuses on. Your question indicates why this is not a simple investigation.

The spokesman of Westerbeke is also present at the meeting. He takes the floor and says:"For the sake of clarity, this is a direction of investigation. There is not yet a preliminary conclusion that it happened 'accidentally'. Westerbeke: "It is a real, very important scenario that we are investigating."

In any case, it is a more realistic scenario than the fact that MH17 was shot down by a Ukrainian fighter plane, as the Russians once claimed.

That has been referred by us to the realm of fables. The Russians have moved on. The story about the fighter aircraft later turned out to be demonstrably incorrect. The Russians have been changing their scenario over a period of three years, in line with the evidence we got in our hands. This is a remarkable fact in itself.

A kind of compliment to you.

Well. Apparently they were struggling more and more. Their last scenario is that although a BUK may have been involved, it was fired from another area. Two years later, they suddenly came up with new radar data on which there is no BUK to be seen and so, they said, the BUK was not there. That is not true. We have always mentioned this: the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Every radar expert can explain that because of its small surface area and its speed of three times the sound is probably also not visible on good radar images.

The Russians also said that the BUK had been fired from another area.

They said that he could have been shot from another area. But that other area was also in the hands of the separatists. Remarkable. If I may say so.

You talk about the radar data that has been so much of a matter before. What does it say?

We immediately said: we are going to study the radar data and add them to the file. The investigation did not have the greatest priority for us in terms of speed. Because their position was wrong. If nothing can be seen on it, it does not say anything. We are almost done now. But I am not going to say anything else about it.

The radar images don't matter anyway? There is an overwhelming amount of other evidence?

That is it. We have so much material about what has happened that there can be no doubt that it has gone that way. There is plenty of evidence. Legal and convincing evidence. So stop being restless about radar data.

How is the cooperation with Russia going?

You have to make a distinction. I am dealing with my colleague from the Public Prosecutor's Office there. We make requests for legal assistance. We got a lot of material. That takes time. Something else is what the Government of the Russian Federation is doing. If these other versions are made public, I have my reservations about them, but they do not make cooperation with my Russian colleagues any more difficult.

No? Because your Russian colleague is as independent of politics as you are here?

That is difficult to assess. I assume that there will be influence, but I see it as two separate channels. In any case, I am not dealing with official government positions, but with my own investigation.

There are regular publications about possible suspects, such as a Russian General Tkatshov, and an old colonel Dubinsky. Are they correct?

We make no statements about people and their involvement. I am not going to do that in this interview either. But all material in media, on the internet or from the Bellingcat research site, is a fuel for our research. For us every identification of a person we are looking for is interesting.

But is that information surprising to you?

We have never been surprised by this kind of news. We have the people that are mentioned very well on our radar. What the newspaper says, we have been working on that for months. We often have known the content of these messages a long time ago. That is what these dozens of people are working on with us every day.

Can you offer prison relief to suspects?

Under Ukrainian law, there are possibilities for reducing sentences in exchange for statements. If an MH17 suspect makes an essential contribution to the investigation, a deal can be made with us about discounting the penalty to be demanded by us. In the Netherlands, this can be at most half that figure. Suppose someone can get an x-number of years for transportation of the BUK, then we can reduce the penalty by half.

It is a pity that Russia does not extradite nationals, not?

Suppose that we will soon be dealing with Russian suspects, then the question is: can we hear them? Yes, it must be possible, because that is possible in the context of mutual legal assistance.

But extradition is not possible.

They are not allowed to extradite people for trial elsewhere. We see it when it comes to that point. I have learned to climb a staircase per step ".

Soon you will have a nice file and the suspects will not come to court. Isn't that frustrating?

I would be very sorry indeed. If that happens, it is second best. Frustrating is not the word that comes to mind .

And that the trial will be in the Netherlands? Not a UN tribunal?

The fact that the international community entrusts the Netherlands with the task of bringing the case to trial is an appreciation for the Dutch legal system. That is good. Furthermore, all legal rules have been elaborated in an existing legal system. There is case law. Everything you can get on legal questions has been discussed before. This gives a lot of predictability in the prosecution. That is an advantage over a tribunal. The establishment of a tribunal is still subject to the formation of the law.

It is even better than a tribunal?

As a professional, as a public prosecutor, I have a preference for trial in an existing, independent system. It is important, however, that the trial has an international reputation. It should be available internationally via a website, with interpreters and subtitling. We are thinking about that.

Nevertheless, the Dutch government wanted a UN tribunal.

You can look at it in two ways. I look at it professionally. In my opinion, the very best would have been a UN tribunal. The advantage of this is that all countries are bound by its conditions. Russia should also contribute to this.

And they must extradite suspects.

In my opinion, yes, indeed.

How do you experience this work personally?

It is not the only job I do. Yet is is the most important. I have often spoken to relatives. I see what this investigation means to them. That is why you are motivated to do this right within every fibre of your body. Just like all other colleagues from the police and the Public Prosecution Service who are working on this investigation. A mother once sent me a photo of her fallen child. That photo is on my desk at home. Let me not be dramatic. I regularly look at that photo.

Professionally, it's the biggest challenge I've ever had. I have been working as a policeman and officer for 36 years now and this is the most complicated thing I have ever had on my hands It takes the utmost of your ability.

Is it difficult to be held accountable for this investigation everywhere?

The most difficult moments are when things are said that just don't fit, especially for the next of kin. The only thing I can do is repeat: don't worry, forget the wild tales, we're going on relentlessly.

When are you ready?

I cannot say that. You can reasonably plan to build a house. You know when materials come. We do not know that. You are dependent on your own professionalism, but also on a windfall. And sometimes you have to be a little lucky with witnesses. With someone who says: and now I am fed up, I am coming. We are ready when it the moment arrives. It must be done carefully and completely.

What happens if you don't work carefully?

What matters in every criminal case is the question: can the evidence be interpreted differently? That is at the heart of the famous Meer en Vaart-Judgement of the Supreme Court. If the evidence does not rule out an alternative scenario, then the case is not complete, then the verdict becomes acquittal. We must be able to exclude all alternatives.

BBM

Thanks so much for all you do so we can read what's going on. It's very appreciated!

Rebellenleider maakt zich geen zorgen om rechtszaak MH17: 'Het interesseert me niet'

During the MH17 disaster he was the leader of the pro-Russian rebels in Eastern Ukraine: Aleksandr Borodaj. Now five years on the Netherlands starts a lawsuit against the suspects. "I'm not worried at all", Borodaj says in an interview with RTL News.

298 people were killed when flight MH17 was downed over eastern Ukraine on 17 July 2014. Aleksandr Borodaj, a Russian from Moscow, was at the time of the MH17 disaster leader of the rebels in Eastern Ukraine who were supported by Russia. As Prime Minister of the Donetsk People's Republic, Borodaj was politically responsible for the rebel territory.

Less than a month after the MH17 disaster, Borodaj resigned as prime minister. Nowadays he leads an organisation in Moscow that supports war veterans of the pro-Russian rebels.

Correspondent Martijn Smiers spoke with Borodaj in Moscow. About his memories of the day of the disaster, about the evidence concerning his rebel group and about the annual protest of the relatives against Russia. Watch the interview here.

According to the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), MH17 was shot down by a Russian Buk missile. Allegedly Russia supplied it to the rebels of Borodaj. But according to Borodaj, the rebels didn't have it at all and pictures proving that there was a Buk missile, are fake.

"Ukraine has already presented many photos and phone tapes that were fake. It is technically perfectly possible to use Photoshop to make a very good forgery that just looks real."

But Borodaj can't say from what it can be concluded that the evidence has been falsified. "Do you know? It's not up to me to prove it. I'm not worried at all. The Buk missile, the photos, the phone calls: it's all noise in the background for me. Why should I deal with noise?"

Tomorrow, at 1:00 p.m., the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) will announce that the Public Prosecutor's Office is opening a trial against a number of MH17 suspects. It is also expected that the investigation team will announce the names of suspects.

Borodaj says that it does not have any concerns about this at all. "Why should I worry?"

The Russian does not feel responsible for the disaster. "Responsibility? No, I don't feel that. Absolutely not. If I did feel responsible or guilty, then I would still be interested in the criminal case."

Will he'll come to court when a judge requests it? "I'll decide that when the time comes. But for the time being I don't care."

The evidence so far points in the direction of Borodaj's rebels. But the chance that Borodaj will have to serve a possible sentence for the MH17 disaster is small: Russia does not hand over its subjects.

BBM

Rebellenleider maakt zich geen zorgen om rechtszaak MH17: 'Het interesseert me niet'

During the MH17 disaster he was the leader of the pro-Russian rebels in Eastern Ukraine: Aleksandr Borodaj. Now five years on the Netherlands starts a lawsuit against the suspects. "I'm not worried at all", Borodaj says in an interview with RTL News.

298 people were killed when flight MH17 was downed over eastern Ukraine on 17 July 2014. Aleksandr Borodaj, a Russian from Moscow, was at the time of the MH17 disaster leader of the rebels in Eastern Ukraine who were supported by Russia. As Prime Minister of the Donetsk People's Republic, Borodaj was politically responsible for the rebel territory.

Less than a month after the MH17 disaster, Borodaj resigned as prime minister. Nowadays he leads an organisation in Moscow that supports war veterans of the pro-Russian rebels.

Correspondent Martijn Smiers spoke with Borodaj in Moscow. About his memories of the day of the disaster, about the evidence concerning his rebel group and about the annual protest of the relatives against Russia. Watch the interview here.

According to the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), MH17 was shot down by a Russian Buk missile. Allegedly Russia supplied it to the rebels of Borodaj. But according to Borodaj, the rebels didn't have it at all and pictures proving that there was a Buk missile, are fake.

"Ukraine has already presented many photos and phone tapes that were fake. It is technically perfectly possible to use Photoshop to make a very good forgery that just looks real."

But Borodaj can't say from what it can be concluded that the evidence has been falsified. "Do you know? It's not up to me to prove it. I'm not worried at all. The Buk missile, the photos, the phone calls: it's all noise in the background for me. Why should I deal with noise?"

Tomorrow, at 1:00 p.m., the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) will announce that the Public Prosecutor's Office is opening a trial against a number of MH17 suspects. It is also expected that the investigation team will announce the names of suspects.

Borodaj says that it does not have any concerns about this at all. "Why should I worry?"

The Russian does not feel responsible for the disaster. "Responsibility? No, I don't feel that. Absolutely not. If I did feel responsible or guilty, then I would still be interested in the criminal case."

Will he'll come to court when a judge requests it? "I'll decide that when the time comes. But for the time being I don't care."

The evidence so far points in the direction of Borodaj's rebels. But the chance that Borodaj will have to serve a possible sentence for the MH17 disaster is small: Russia does not hand over its subjects.

BBM

So horrific for the families of the 298 victims to know that this "leader" doesn't care what he allegedly did. :(

'JIT presenteert namen van vier verdachten neerhalen MH17'

"Joint Investigation Team will present names of four suspects in the downing of MH17"

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) investigating the downing of flight MH17 will announce tomorrow four names of suspects who may be facing prosecution. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Olena Zerkal has said this.

"The names will be announced. There will be charges,'' she said to Interfax-Ukraine. "The Ministry of Justice will then look into whether there will be a case against the four, which will then be brought before the court at Schiphol Airport."

According to Zerkal this is a tip of the iceberg. "The number of people involved in this will be much greater than the four that are mentioned."

Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine are working closely together in the JIT. The aim of the investigation team is to find out how the disaster could have happened and to bring the suspects to justice.

The JIT press conference will be held tomorrow at 13.00 hrs and can be followed live on RTL4 and this site. The next of kin will be informed in advance.

Flight MH17 was shot out of the sky on 17 July 2014 over the east of Ukraine, killing 298 people, including 193 Dutch people. According to the JIT, it is certain that the aircraft was shot down with a Buk missile that originated from the 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade from Kursk, a part of the Russian army.

BBM

So horrific for the families of the 298 victims to know that this "leader" doesn't care what he allegedly did. :(

In the interview he does say that he is sorry for the surviving families and the victims, he feels for them.

But if there was no BUK, it obviously was not them.

Op zoek naar de Russische brigade die de Buk leverde

In search of the Russian brigade who delivered the BUK

This Wednesday, the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) will present new details on the investigation into the downing of MH17 almost five years ago. What do we know already ? And what does it say about the perpetrators? Reporter Gert-Jan Dennekamp went to see the 53rd anti-aircraft brigade, the Russian unit that is held responsible by the JIT for delivering the Buk missile that was fired from rebel territory in Eastern Ukraine.

This 53rd brigade is stationed in Kursk in western Russia, almost over a hundred kilometres from the border with eastern Ukraine. It is the 7th of May this year when the brigade exercises for the great national holiday: the day of victory. Commander Sergey Murskayev is watching.

Neither Murskayev nor others from the 53rd Brigade want to talk. For some years now, the Russian Ministry of Defence has always given the same answer: no military equipment has crossed the border.

But in addition to the earlier evidence to the contrary presented by the JIT, the Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta came up with new information a month ago. The newspaper received a document that announces the transport of the Buk through Russia in June 2014. The regional military car inspection alerts colleagues that a large convoy will drive south. On social media, the transport is filmed in various places, because a convoy of about fifty vehicles is remarkable in Russia.

According to the leaked document, a truck with registration number 4267 AH will also be part of the transport. This truck can be seen in photos taken between 23 and 25 June 2014. On the low loader is the Buk, which will later appear in Ukraine. The last pictures of the transport are made at about thirty kilometers from the border.

From leaked documents it appears that at least 170 soldiers of the 53rd Brigade have been transported to the border with Ukraine. Commander Murskayev also joined this unit.

But did the soldiers cross the border with the Buk installation? And by whom was the transport received? For more clarity about this we talk to Ivan Bezyazikov in Kiev. This officer, who was originally from Ukraine, is on trial in Kiev because he is said to have defected to the separatists. We talk to him during his trial. The trial documents and his statement show that he met a number of senior military leaders in Donetsk who were involved in the transport of the Buk.

For this reason, he was also interrogated in 2016 in the presence of two representatives of JIT. Because Bezyazikov seems to know more about two Russians in Eastern Ukraine: Major General Sergey Dubbinsky and his deputy Oleg Pulatov, two men who play an important role in the transport of the BUK, which also brought down MH17.

At our request Bezhazikov listens to leaked tap conversations and recognizes the voice of Doebinsky. He was in charge of a department of a special security service that had been set up in July 2014. And Bezyazikov identifies Pulatov when Nieuwsuur shows him some pictures of rebels. Slowly but surely it becomes clear who played a role in the transport and what the relations were.

Still, important questions remain unanswered. Who was on the Buk installation at the time the missiles were fired at the MH17? And who gave the order to fire? Possibly the Joint Investigation Team will be able to clarify that coming Wednesday.

BBM

In May 2018, the JIT published a video about how they identified the BUK missile and its origin, the 53rd Brigade from Kursk. English with Russian subtitles.

Thanks so much for all you do so we can read what's going on. It's very appreciated!

I don't post all. There are times when I cannot stand the reports about MH17. There were quarrels and rumours last year, and fake news, and Russinans, and bureacratic hassle. It made me tired, and wondering if they would ever pull this off or if the entire case was going to drown in beauty as we say, in a sea of details of details of details.

So I concentrated on the JIT and they have been pretty steadfast, with the help of Bellingcat of course.

It is hard to believe that it has been five years already. I remember that night, the first news had broken around 5 pm local time here, and I sat glued to the screen and the internet. I finally went to bed at six in the morning, and whatever I knew then has not changed in all those years. Much more is known of course, but the general outline has remained the same.

Info about and from the JIT on various aspects of the case (human, legal, technical, IT) in English:

MH17 crash

Onderzoek JIT: verdachten MH17 hadden duidelijke link met Rusland

betrokkenen_mh17_-_fp_4_man_720.png

The Public Prosecutor's Office is going to sue four suspects who were involved in the MH17 disaster. They will be prosecuted for murder from 9 March 2020, sources report to RTL News. In the investigation into the disaster, a clear link with Russia has been established.

Among the suspects is Igor Girkin, the rebel commander in eastern Ukraine. Also Sergei Doebinski and Oleg Pulatov from Russia and Leonid Ghartschenko from Ukraine are charged. The four suspects were in close contact with Moscow, according to the international investigation team into the disaster (JIT).

"This shows that there is a clear link with Russia," says political reporter Fons Lambie, who closely follows the investigation.

A motive for bringing down flight MH17 was not mentioned during the meeting for next of kin. The Public Prosecution Service did not make a request for extradition to Ukraine and Russia, because these countries do not extradite subjects.

This afternoon, the JIT, of which the Public Prosecution Service is a member, will publish the latest developments in the investigation.

Earlier today Bellingcat, the research collective, presented its latest research results. Bellingcat has twelve suspects in the picture who would have been involved in the downing of MH17. They are held responsible for the transport of the launch installation, its removal, or the launch of the Buk rocket.

Among the twelve suspects is secret agent Sergei Doebinski, whose name was already mentioned in 2017 in the investigation into the attack. Most of the attention in the Bellingcat investigation goes to him. Doebinski is appointed by Bellingcat as leader of the secret service of the self-proclaimed People's Republic of Donetsk.

The MH17 disaster killed all 298 passengers. Next month it will be five years since the flight from Schiphol to Kuala Lumpur over the east of Ukraine was shot down. The plane was shot down with a Buk missile from the 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade from Kursk, a part of the Russian army.

BBM

Last edited:
Presser about to start, link here:

Vier verdachten aangeklaagd voor MH17-ramp, proces begint op 9 maart 2020

Peter Crozier, Australia, speaking now, welcoming everyone present or via link.
Introduces members of the team.

Prosecutor Westerbeke get the floor. In Dutch.
JIT will prosecute 4 suspects for downing MH17.
Crime scene was and is a war area.
Lots of theories and fake news. Difficult for surviving families.

---- not quite getting this to wrap it up, history of investigation by Safety Board (first) and JIT (later).

Why are there no subtitles?

Travels of the BUK, interactive map.

Initially 100 persons of interest, lots have meanwhile been excluded. War area, so investigation takes time. 50 investigators (Dutch, AU) still working, 25 support.
Lots of info received from the public, many witnesses who will continue to be protected b/o risks.

Even though the prosecution has started, the investigation continues.

Suspects:

Ghirkin
Dubinskiy
Polatov, all three Russians. now in Russia
Kharchenko, Ukrainian, now in Eastern Ukraine.

Presser, continued.

Westerbeke does not disclose all proof, will do so later in Court.
None of the 4 suspects pushed the button that launched the missile, but made it possible that the BUK arrived at location. According to Dutch law, they are equally punishable.
Even if they planned to down a military aircraft, the Dutch Prosecutor hold them responsible for the murder of all passenger and crew of MH17.

Suspects are kindly invited to tell their side of the story in Court, in March 2020.
JIT will no request extradiction, but wants answers and cooperation. Not getting any from Russian Federation. Questions that have simple answers. Again, a kind invitation.

And yet another kind invitation, again to the suspects. They spoke with the press, so why not speak with the JIT? (my words)

Court case starts March 9 2020 at 10.00 hrs. Another urgent invitation. Case will proceed, even if suspects are not there.

Surviving families will continue to be informed about all aspects of the case.

"Today is a memorable day." I am relieved that we have been able to keep our promise to the surviving families and bring the case to court.

All suspects are presumed innocent for the time being.

Last edited:
This is great news but will they actually be given over to face justice? I have great doubts. Please let it happen, the victims require justice to be served.

Presser, continued.

Call for witnesses.

Investigation into the role of others. Questions Russian federation did not want to answer.

Operators allegedly also comre from the Russian Federation.

Video of phone call. Who is this member of the crew who has lost the other members?

Chat. Soldier M looking back on July 17. Trying to impress "Anastasia".

Pictures of soldiers of 53rd Brigade. Many pictures.

Whoa, they know a lot!

Members of 53rd batallion would know who were the crew of the BUK that downed MH17.

So here is a Dutch Police Commisioner requesting Russian soldiers to tell all about their superiors. The digital world is amazing, my words.

More telephone. Ghirkin requesting ant- aircraft support from Russia.. He wants trained personnel, because he has no time to train them.
Support is being arranged!

Last edited:
Presser, continued.

Call for witnesses continues.

Phone calls. No secrets about the many contacts rebels - Russian federation.

11 July 2014 talk about military support from Russian Federation.

JIT wants to know who was involved? who decided that BUK would go to Ukraine? who were to be the crew and what were they to do?

Presser, Q & A

Will suspects be present at court?

Westerbeke: I am realistic, chances are not high. BUT when we started five years ago, many said it would not be possible to investigate this case, and see how far we have come ...

Has involvement of Russia been proven beyond a doubt?

Westerbeke: that will be done only in Court. We have the evidence to prove it.
Russian federation has not been transparent, we once again invite them to do so.

- missed this question -

Westerbeke: investigation is ongoing.

new suspects before March 2020?

Westerbeke: no speculation

Why no active soldiers are named?

Westerbeke: not enough proof yet in our files to charge them.

Did witnesses and whistle blowers contact the JIT?

Paulussen: They are doing so up to this day, and we offer them protection.

--- anchor stops the broadcast of the presser ----

I don't post all. There are times when I cannot stand the reports about MH17. There were quarrels and rumours last year, and fake news, and Russinans, and bureacratic hassle. It made me tired, and wondering if they would ever pull this off or if the entire case was going to drown in beauty as we say, in a sea of details of details of details.

So I concentrated on the JIT and they have been pretty steadfast, with the help of Bellingcat of course.

It is hard to believe that it has been five years already. I remember that night, the first news had broken around 5 pm local time here, and I sat glued to the screen and the internet. I finally went to bed at six in the morning, and whatever I knew then has not changed in all those years. Much more is known of course, but the general outline has remained the same.

Info about and from the JIT on various aspects of the case (human, legal, technical, IT) in English:

MH17 crash

I can't imagine being "local". Most of us at WS were also glued to the news. It was horrible.

I'll be shocked if anyone will face charges in the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Never Ending
Back