New Absolut Vodka Ad

Okay, okay, I know, its not that simple and I should know better.
:slap: (that's me swatting myself).

There are for sure people who take legal and illegal advantage of "the system" here and in the U.S. and likely every other country in the world, but that includes native born Canadians and Americans. I see this everyday in my own job. There's so much that could be said (and has been said) on this topic but the bottom line for me is the same as I began, its just not that simple, these issues are very complex.

I should have said I was speaking for myself, not all Canadians. I like living in one of the most multicultural cities in the world.

What is not complex is the fact that in 2005 alone....

704,709 illegal aliens committed Murder and Non-Negligent Manslaughter, Forcible Rape, and Offenses against family and Children.

As the number of illegal aliens increases rapidly, so do the number of crimes they are committing. This number does not include those crimes that go unreported, of course.

If Absolut would like to compete with other types of alcohol that are sold more frequently in Mexico, they needed to come up with an ad campaign that would get an overwhelmingly positive response from Mexican citizens. Do you really think Absolut thought they would boost sales if the ad simply depicted a historical map of little significance? This ad taps into a very large movement, a widespread sentiment, and an attitude that the U.S. should give back stolen land. That's what Absolut was counting on.

What's interesting about the movement is that no one wants to discuss the part where once they get the land back and based on what they have done so far, what in the hell are they going to do with it?

That's why I made the comment about Absolut providing a map that shows a new Northwest route into Canada.

I don't think the map is of little significance for Mexicans, national ad campaigns use national symbols that are easy to identify with for the target audience but may not be well understood or be misconstrued outside of the target country. For example in a French ad campaign one can use references to Napoleon as a positive symbol but to the Germans, the Dutch, the Spaniards, etc., Napoleon is viewed a brutal invader and definitively a negative reference. A German watching a TV program broadcast from France would react negatively to such an ad but would understand that he's not the target and therefore shouldn't draw any conclusion that the intent of the campaign is to boost French historical pride at the expense of Germany. The intent of the campaign is to sell stuff to the French, period.

I don't think the map is of little significance for Mexicans, national ad campaigns use national symbols that are easy to identify with for the target audience but may not be well understood or be misconstrued outside of the target country. For example in a French ad campaign one can use references to Napoleon as a positive symbol but to the Germans, the Dutch, the Spaniards, etc., Napoleon is viewed a brutal invader and definitively a negative reference. A German watching a TV program broadcast from France would react negatively to such an ad but would understand that he's not the target and therefore shouldn't draw any conclusion that the intent of the campaign is to boost French historical pride at the expense of Germany. The intent of the campaign is to sell stuff to the French, period.

Yes, and in this case substitute Pancho Villa for Napoleon and Absolut becomes a very popular drink.

:clap: hey scarpetta. :blowkiss: i have enjoyed your post. :blowkiss: :clap:

Yes, and in this case substitute Pancho Villa for Napoleon an Absolut becomes a very popular drink.
Villa? He was just regional rebel, a desperado whose enemy was his own government and whose hero status is still dubious in his own country. He's mainly famous in the US for having raided a small border town in New Mexico and evading capture by Pershing in the ensuing punitive expedition, which was done with the blessings of the Mexican government who considered Villa a royal pain in the rear end. Pershing was popular with the media so instead of invoking incompetence on his part they made Villa into some sort of living legend that no human could catch, which got Pershing and the Mexican government off the hook.

Fact is Villa never wanted to invade the US and made no claim to regain lost territories, the reason he attacked the small town was apparently because he was p..... off at the US for selling him crappy weapons (it is said that Du Pont had a bad batch of gunpowder to unload.) Villa wasn't a very likely Absolut super-hero.

Villa? He was just regional rebel, a desperado whose enemy was his own government and whose hero status is still dubious in his own country. He's mainly famous in the US for having raided a small border town in New Mexico and evading capture by Pershing in the ensuing punitive expedition, which was done with the blessings of the Mexican government who considered Villa a royal pain in the rear end. Pershing was popular with the media so instead of invoking incompetence on his part they made Villa into some sort of living legend that no human could catch, which got Pershing and the Mexican government off the hook.

Fact is Villa never wanted to invade the US and made no claim to regain lost territories, the reason he attacked the small town was apparently because he was p..... off at the US for selling him crappy weapons (it is said that Du Pont had a bad batch of gunpowder to unload.) Villa wasn't a very likely Absolut super-hero.

Fact is....many times a regional perception of a hero has little to do with what is in the history books.

Vodka Maker Apologizes for Ad Depicting Southwest as Part of Mexico

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346964,00.html

"In no way was it meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," Absolut said in a statement left on its consumer inquiry phone line."

Hmmm . . . I'm not sure what the company meant by the ad if it didn't advocate, even just in theory, "altering of borders." On the other hand, it's just a vodka ad.
How I wonder how far sales dropped?? Can you say "damage control"??:crazy:

Well, maybe global warming (ha) will cease and glaciers will cover Sweden again. That would be a cool map.

If Mexico were to gain this land, I think that would only make the trek longer for the illegals. You'd just be moving thier border more north, they'd still be crossing it to settle in the US.
I don't believe in the reconquista movement. Yes, there are crazy mexican lunatics who think US stole their land. But that would me like me believing that all white folks are KKK. They exist, but sane people don't pay attention to them.

Fact is....many times a regional perception of a hero has little to do with what is in the history books.

In any case I don't think the ad had anything to do with Villa or any other regional hero, or the retrieving of lost territories for that matter. Those territories were not stolen they were lost to secession in the case of Texas and California, or lost to treaties following military defeat of Spain against Britain in the case of the Oregon Territory, which was later split between the US and Canada. Mexicans know that there was no US invasion, it's France who invaded and annexed Mexican territories which Napoleon later sold to the US to finance his military ventures in Europe after he ran out of countries to sack and pilfer over there.

The ad is simply a glorification of a distant past. I suppose the same ad in the UK would show an empire on which the sun never sets and in France it would display a map of Europe with the eastern border of France somewhere near Moscow.

If Mexico were to gain this land, I think that would only make the trek longer for the illegals. You'd just be moving thier border more north, they'd still be crossing it to settle in the US.

Looking at that map I think it's Canada that would be dealing with these illegals lol

I just found this. Hey, don't tell anyone, and I mean anyone that I saved that empty bottle of Absolut and filled it with Smirnoff. Guess what everyone at the party emptied first? Shhhhh, okay?

Oh, for the love of...

The map is an accurate depiction of the boundaries of Mexico and The United States prior to The Mexican-American War and The Treaty of Guadalupe-Hildago.

Have none of you ever taken a course in U.S. History? Jeez Louise.:rolleyes:

The whole point of the ad was a joke about people who are ignorant of their own history.

Thnx Truly, I was wondering if anyone would point this out. Not saying that I advocate Mexico taking over the Southern U.S..but that is the way the map used to look.

As for me, I'll stick to Grey Goose when I feel like vodka. I like tequila better anyways ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back