New FL Law Took Affect 1/1/09 Jurors Will Now Be Permitted To Ask Witnesses Question.

Oh my gosh. Where would the jury begin? Imagine if we were there, we'd have a million questions for them. If only the jury could subpoena witnesses they thought should be there, too. :)

That is interesting. Kind of like a Grand Jury Hearing.

The judge in this case will certainly have his/her work cut out for them.

I wonder if she does not testify if they can still ask her a question.

Didn't they allow that in Scott Petersons case? The way it was handled, IIRC, a note was passed to the prosecutors side with an observation/question.

Should be interesting! LOL

Posting for dummies, I finally did it! Great site and astute observers.

Worked well in Nevada, I think it is a good idea.

The criminal - I mean, the defendant, doesn't have to take the stand, so I doubt KC will in this case, even though Baez and Cindy both said repeatedly the killer, I mean KC, "will tell her side at trial". :rolleyes: Probably like she told where to find Caylee once LP bailed her out.

Anyway, this case has many potential witnesses who have secrets, so I'm sure the jurors will be able to think of something to ask of any one of them. Can you imagine Cindy's answers. :eek: I'm sure the defense will be on their toes with Cindy's mouth running, trying to make excuses, and everyone screaming, "Objection!". I'm sure she won't be allowed to carry on as she usually does, but it would be fun hearing the judge tell her, "Be precise. Just answer the question. Write your novel later."

Yep, I think this is a good law. Except if I were the one on trial, then it would be a rotten law.:)

I vote GOOD THING for the Anthony trial. :behindbar

Huh, never crossed my mind but now that it has, why is this not de facto in all courts?

the prosecution and defense....spin spin spin. it really is on both sides. the jurors would often have things they needed to know that werent covered by anyone.

I also think this may keep her off the stand.

Whoa !!...I can't see any atty ever putting KC on the stand..(new law or not)

I'm pretty sure if you ever want to know KC/Jose's "compelling stories", you'll need to BUY it when it comes out in 'hard-back'.

I do think this is a great new law tho, as others have said, many times you see important questions never asked, during a trial.

Under the new FL. law, I would not want to be a juror. Been lurking and after reading all the hypothesis, propositions, assumptions, premises, inferences, precepts, tenets, assertions, conclusions, theories, generalizations, hunches, speculations, precepts, and "hinky meters" (I like that one), my neurotransmitters have short circuited!:confused: I would nominate JWG (like your thoughts about June 16 & 24th) & James Bond (good work on the excel)to be jury foreman.
So, as the acronym K.I.S.S. means to me "keep it stupid, simple" ooops, I always get things "bass ackwards", I would like to take a page from the OJ trial and suggest some closing statements to the jury::behindbar

due to facts newly arisen - KC belongs in prison
did she cause a dead soul - life without parole
did Caylee not have a prayer - put KC in the chair
Caylee's virtues she did not extol - life without parole
did she use chloroform - put KC in the big house dorm
did she afflict - you must not acquit
is she not on the level - KC is a devil
did she use a body bag - put KC in the stalag
is she a liar - keep KC behind barbed wire
is Caylee in a neutral place - put KC in an enclosed place
is Caylee in a neutral place - KC is not part of the human race
is Caylee in a neutral place - We cannot replace
Bombshell - Keep her in a cell

Only a witness that has been sworn in can answer any questions at trial and it will be no different with written questions from the jurors.

I am sure there will be all sorts of safe guards to ensure that irrelevant questions or those which go outside the boundaries of the direct and cross examination are not read aloud before the attorneys have been able to make their objections etc.

I like this idea very much. I also like the idea that jurors are allowed to take notes during the trial. Not all states allow this either.

If KC doesn't take the witness stand, which we know she will not, would this law apply to the other Anthonys?
Sure might explain the recent lawyering up they all did. What I would give to serve on this jury. Nothing could be more just than everyone having to answer for and explain their contradictions, mistruths and outright lies.
Bring it on...we want the truth!

Juror questions were used in the last OJ trial in Nevada. The judge would take the written questions from the jurors. Then the judge and the lawyers would go out into the hallway and discuss them. Then they would come back and the judge would ask the witness the questions. The questions had to pertain to the information the prosecutor and defense attorneys had raised during their examination of that witness.

What a great Law and just in time for the Casey A. trial. I do recall Baez stating that we would all be shocked at trial when Casey tells her side. Now, my question is this. If she pleads the 5th in the deposition in a defamation lawsuit, can she plead it in her Murder trial? I don't understand why a person is allowed to remain silent when they are charged with a crime, that should be one of the next laws. If you are charged with a crime you should have to take the stand. As for the over 140 people on the states list, well they will have to answer quite a bit I presume. As for Cindy, George and Lee..."WOW" they are really gonna get it when it comes to the smell of the car being pizza and all the sightings and reason for waiting so long to report Caylee missing and other "IMO"...Should be a very long interesting trial that is for sure.

What a terrific law.

Jurors, by and large, take their jobs very, very seriously. Their contribution to the prosecution will be great in this case.

It's wonderful, too, that the very peers sacrificing months of their life because of actions taken by the defendant will have an ongoing voice in the process.

I have to think that, ultimately, having the opportunity to ask questions will help them easily reach a decision they are comfortable with.

I would love to hear Asked to cindy " How much money have you made off your dead granddaughter?"

and to the Defense Lawyers..How much are you getting paid???
I know there are alot more important questions..but these bug me.:furious:

Are you related to Susan Moss? :crazy:

Of course they will have to sumit the question to the judge and then the judge will make the decision if the jurors question can be read to the witness. IMO This ruling will be used alot in Casey's upcoming trial. With all the lie's (Half Truths) that have been told by this family the jurors will have their work cut out for them and I believe it will be a big help to them in deciding Casey's guilt or innocences.

What is your all's opinion?

Juror Questions Improve Search For Truth
The Tampa Tribune

Published: December 27, 2007

Starting New Year's Day, Florida jurors will be allowed to ask questions of witnesses in civil and criminal trials.

The Florida Supreme Court adopted the new rule last fall to help jurors get at the truth, but the court's controversial decision has some judges and lawyers fretting about the potential for problems.

Justice Peggy Quince, for one, objects to the rule
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/27/na-juror-questions-improve-search-for-truth/

Will some one please tell Casey about this new law? I want to see her squirm.:clap:
I don't think her powers of persuasion will work on 12 people. (we've seen it work one on one):boohoo:

I think it will be helpful, but I have faith the SA will have their questions lined out very carefully. Too bad the questions can only be asked of the witnesses as I would have plenty to ask Baez.

When I served on a jury last, the judge cleared the courtroom after we handed down the verdict and allowed us the opportunity to ask anything to the prosecution and defense attorney in the case. We were there for well over an hour and it was fascinating. The judge wanted us to be comfortable with our decision and after hearing from both sides, we knew we had done the right thing.

IMO we need a thread titled "If I were a juror, what I would ask the witnesses"....assuming KC would NOT be a witness.

Maybe the State Attorney reads here??? Could help things....IF we kept it serious...

:rotfl: :bow:

Welcome and please stick around! We like this kind of humor here!

:blowkiss:

I think it will be helpful, but I have faith the SA will have their questions lined out very carefully. Too bad the questions can only be asked of the witnesses as I would have plenty to ask Baez.

When I served on a jury last, the judge cleared the courtroom after we handed down the verdict and allowed us the opportunity to ask anything to the prosecution and defense attorney in the case. We were there for well over an hour and it was fascinating. The judge wanted us to be comfortable with our decision and after hearing from both sides, we knew we had done the right thing.

I have the same feeling about the state having their questions lined out. It wouldn't do much good to ask Baez anything, because he would answer in such a roundabout way, you still wouldn't learn anything.
If Casey does not take the stand... and she would be crazy to do so... no one will be allowed to ask her anything, if I read it correctly. Too bad.
I bet there will be a ton of questions for Cindy and Lee.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back