GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

I am surprised that the police had only asked for 17 years - I guess if they and the family are satisfied then that's the most important thing though. I too hope that any subsequent cases against him might bring further time in prison.

Thanks @jamjim for all the updates. I really would have liked for it to have been longer than 17 years. I’m also shocked that the Daily Mail have now named him. I hope that nothing jeopardises any future trials he may have. My thoughts are with Grace’s family and friends.

DM also named him when the trial ended so I guess they feel might as well carry on now ( am not excusing them, am not a fan ! )

double post

Last edited:
Reactions: Hjp
I am also disappointed with the sentence, even though I realise it's high for NZ.
But I find it extremely sad to think that at age 44 he may be eligible to walk to freedom. Twice the age that Grace was and never will be.

The victim impact statements from Grace’s family were heartbreaking. Their lives will never be the same after what happened but I hope they can find some comfort from the fact that her killer will be imprisoned for a long time.

Although the sentence is high for NZ, I wish it could be a whole life term. This dangerous man should never be released.

Well that's something. They must have dreaded a light sentence or no sentence at all.
How could it be? He's guilty of murder and it's a mandatory life sentence, surely?

17 years doesn't seem as much as it could have been, but it doesn't mean he'll get parole at the first time of asking. Especially if he's found guilty of other violent crimes. Let's hope he is.

If, in theory, he is found guilty in another case, will he face consecutive sentences or concurrent?

NZ judges almost never apply sentences consecutively or cumulatively. It’s almost always concurrent. The rationale for that I believe is to keep a focus on rehabilitation rather than being purely punitive. However there is a campaign by some to change this.

Woman describes date with Grace Millane's murderer

"One story was that both his parents had been killed in a car explosion of which he was the only survivor. A couple who was travelling in a car behind the family when it happened adopted him."

"During the date, the man told her he was friends with international stars, such as Gwyneth Paltrow, as well as local personalities, including a radio personality.

After the date, the woman was so concerned about what he might do to other women that she contacted the radio personality to flag up his behaviour.

The woman said in her message that she feared he would kill someone.

"I just said, I'd hate to think what's going to happen to a young, vulnerable woman when he gets his hands on her... because he obviously didn't like being rejected."

But the radio personality replied she had never met the man.

Almost a year to the day later, the man was charged with Millane's murder."

This is another woman who has the displeasure of coming across this sicko. He loves the storytelling huh? :rolleyes:

17 years is not enough in my opinion, but I really did fear it would be less than that. He will be on parole for the rest of his life even when he gets released.

Let's hope any further convictions he may obtain run consecutively rather than concurrently.

Remember that is only the non-parole period. There is no guarantee this guy will ever be paroled.

So some notes on sentencing.

It's important to recognise that NZ judges still guard against sentence inflation, especially in very public cases, where there is a demand that each new horror get a heavier sentence than the last. Unfortunately this is a very easy drum for politicians and influencers to bang but when NZ Parliament has passed legislation setting out sentencing ranges and guidance, the judges must follow it and cannot give every psycho the max or "more than last time". That simply leads to appeals.

So what does the NZ legislation say? Well things got a bit tougher than when I was a crimes student ;)

Under NZ Crimes Act 1961, murder has always attracted a presumptive life sentence, barring exceptional circumstances. But in practice you could be out in 10 on parole. The judge must set a non-parole period (NPP) and 10 years is the minimum.

Sentencing Act of 2002 has also changed this a bit, in relation to "stage 2 & 3 murders". So in short, where the offender already had a warning for a violent offence then that could lead to life without parole. That does not apply here. He is now on "first strike"

In this case s 103 is our go to section

Sentencing Act 2002 No 9 (as at 01 July 2019), Public Act 103 Imposition of minimum period of imprisonment or imprisonment without parole if life imprisonment imposed for murder – New Zealand Legislation

103Imposition of minimum period of imprisonment or imprisonment without parole if life imprisonment imposed for murder
(1) If a court sentences an offender convicted of murder to imprisonment for life it must,—

(a) if section 86E(1) does not apply to the conviction,—

(i) order that the offender serve a minimum period of imprisonment under that sentence; or

(2) The minimum term of imprisonment ordered may not be less than 10 years, and must be the minimum term of imprisonment that the court considers necessary to satisfy all or any of the following purposes:

(a) holding the offender accountable for the harm done to the victim and the community by the offending:

(b) denouncing the conduct in which the offender was involved:

(c) deterring the offender or other persons from committing the same or a similar offence:

(d) protecting the community from the offender.

(2A) If the court that sentences an offender convicted of murder to imprisonment for life is satisfied that no minimum term of imprisonment would be sufficient to satisfy 1 or more of the purposes stated in subsection (2), the court may order that the offender serve the sentence without parole.

Then we have s 104 dealing with aggravating circumstances ;)

104 Imposition of minimum period of imprisonment of 17 years or more
(1) The court must make an order under section 103 imposing a minimum period of imprisonment of at least 17 years in the following circumstances, unless it is satisfied that it would be manifestly unjust to do so:

(a) if the murder was committed in an attempt to avoid the detection, prosecution, or conviction of any person for any offence or in any other way to attempt to subvert the course of justice; or

(d) if the murder was committed in the course of another serious offence; or

(e) if the murder was committed with a high level of brutality, cruelty, depravity, or callousness; or

(g) if the deceased was particularly vulnerable because of his or her age, health, or because of any other factor; or

(i) in any other exceptional circumstances.

So short version, 17 years NPP is already on the higher side for NZ, and actually what Parliament has prescribed for an offence like this

And though this case has attracted huge emotion, the facts of the case are not "worse" for want of a better word, than other murders in recent years that got far less publicity.

Of course this will seem "light" compared to the US for example, but it needs to be remembered this guy may never get out.

One might feel that the judge should push the boat out and go above 17, but I think you probably won't see that unless there are truly exceptional circumstances.

How could it be? He's guilty of murder and it's a mandatory life sentence, surely?

17 years doesn't seem as much as it could have been, but it doesn't mean he'll get parole at the first time of asking. Especially if he's found guilty of other violent crimes. Let's hope he is.

Yep.

This conversation comes up every time there is a bad murder. But tragic as it is, the international publicity does not make this case worse than your run of the mill murder, or come to the depravity of other recent cases. For instance the murderer of Mallory Manning got 20 years NPP

This case most likely featured a brutal group attack with weapons

Ngatai Lynette Manning (also known as Mallory Manning) was murdered in Christchurch, New Zealand on 18 December 2008. Manning was picked up from her inner city, Manchester Street corner that she worked on as a prostitute, was taken to a property in Avonside and brutally killed by stabbing, strangling and assault with a metal pole. Her body was then dumped in the nearby Avon River and found the next morning by a kayaker. In March 2012, Mauha Huatahi Fawcett,[2] a 24-year-old, unemployed man was arrested and charged with the murder and abduction of Manning.

In 2014, Mongrel Mob prospect Mauha Fawcett was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum non-parole period of 20 years for his part in the murder

Finally the day of reckoning for this guy has come. 17 years is abit light, but to be fair I couldn't see any UK court crediting the case more than 20 either. It is a substantial non-parole sentence none-the-less; which sees him lose his entire 30's and his prime years.

Even if he ever does see a release date, his face and name will be remembered by many. Ultimately, he would emerge from prison a disgraced middle aged man, with no chance of ever dating again or any prospect of clinching a meaningful job with this serious conviction.

He'll also forever be looking over his shoulder under constant threat of attack. Personally, I don't think he will even make it to the end of his sentence:- as he rots away in an isolated cell or becomes subject to an attack from a fellow inmate.

His life is over. He literally has nothing to look forward to and that is a knowledge I truly, warmly, welcome.

I meant back when he was arrested and as the trial first started, they must have been worried he would be acquitted and walk free. Once he was found guilty they must have feared him getting a 'non-life' sentence, which could have seen him walk free in just a few years.

He's got a nerve. Appealing is incompatible with remorse, IMO.

Does anyone know when his other case goes to court? I assume it hasn't yet, as his identity is still being withheld.

Grace Millane killer appeals against conviction

"The man who killed British backpacker Grace Millane in New Zealand has begun an appeal against his murder conviction and sentence.

The 28-year-old, who cannot be named, was jailed for at least 17 years after a jury found him guilty of murdering Ms Millane in an Auckland hotel in 2018.

After her death he hid her body in a suitcase and buried her in bushland.

His appeal is based around elements of the trial process as well as the length of the minimum non-parole period.

At his trial last year, the killer claimed Ms Millane, who was last seen on the night before her 22nd birthday, had died accidentally, after the pair engaged in rough sex that went too far.

But a jury in November rejected that argument and found him guilty of murder.

New Zealand media outlet Stuff said the appeal was based around how much emphasis was placed on the element of consent, expert evidence, probability, and the negative evidence given by other women about his character."

:rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back