Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The family of a backpacker who was killed have been collecting handbags to donate to women who are victims of domestic violence.

Grace Millane's family and friends have been filling donated bags with essential and luxury items.

She said the idea started out when they saw a social media post about filling a handbag with items for homeless women.

Mrs O'Callaghan, 37, said: "We thought it was a great idea and thought 'how could we do something similar in Grace's name?'.

"A lot of women leave home without anything, they pack for their children but not for themselves.

"Whilst they get given the necessities, they don't have the luxuries.

A man, who cannot be named, has been charged with Miss Millane's murder and is set to go on trial in New Zealand on 4 November.

Handbags donated to refuges in backpacker's memory

I’m currently on holidays in New Zealand and can only find a couple of recent msm articles about Grace. Most refer to the suppression orders.

”Justice Minister Andrew Little says further suppression breaches by Google in the Grace Millane case are "disturbing" and "disappointing".
Google earlier apologised after publishing the name of the man arrested and charged with murder for the death of the British backpacker, despite name supression applying to the case. The name appeared in the company's 'what's trending' email in New Zealand last December. “
Google's latest suppression breach in Grace Millane case 'disturbing, disappointing' - Andrew Little

Grace Millane case: Police warned Google about suppression in British backpacker case

Google under fire again over British backpacker Grace Millane case

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12265718

The trial of the accused is set to begin next week at the high court.

The CCTV footage, the spade, the autopsy results, and other evidence that was collected in the hotel should make way for a surefire conviction.

I think he will be found guilty and will be sent down for a long prison sentence. Let's see how it all pans out.

On Monday, the 27-year-old defendant, a New Zealander who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded not guilty to murdering Lincoln University graduate Miss Millane in the room of a city centre hotel where he was living full time.

He appeared in the dock at Auckland's High Court to watch as a jury of five men and seven women was sworn in to hear the trial which is set down for five weeks.

[...]

Mr and Mrs Millane spent part of the weekend being briefed by police and lawyers on the evidence they will hear in court.

They are expected to appear in the public gallery on Wednesday when Crown solicitor Brian Dickey will open the prosecution case at which details of Grace's death will be heard in public for the first time.

more to read at link

Family of British backpacker Grace Millane are to come face-to-face with man accused of killing her | Daily Mail Online

A jury has been sworn in for the trial of a man accused of murdering a British backpacker.

Jury sworn in for backpacker murder trial

Dressed in a dark suit and black shirt and with his hair close-cropped, the suspect listened as Judge Simon Moore told more than 200 prospective jurors: "This story took the nation by storm, and that interest continues today."

The judge said Ms Millane's death had prompted vigils and marches across the country and insisted that any potential jurors must tell him if they had taken part.

He said: "No juror is allowed to be swayed by feelings of sympathy or prejudice. If you can't give a promise that you will approach the trial with impartiality and even-handedness then you can't be a juror."

Grace Millane: Parents of British backpacker in New Zealand as murder trial begins

Earlier, while speaking to the pool of potential jurors, Justice Moore said the case had already received an enormous amount of publicity and added it was "common knowledge" that Millane had died last December in the inner-city apartment occupied by the defendant.

[...]

The accused, who is represented by well-known Auckland lawyers Ian Brookie and Ron Mansfield, will continue to have interim name suppression throughout the trial - the reasons for which are also suppressed and cannot be reported by media.

The Crown Solicitor at Auckland Brian Dickey, along with former London barrister Robin McCoubrey, are prosecuting the case.

Grace Millane trial: Jury to consider murder charge selected

Earlier, while speaking to the pool of potential jurors, Justice Moore said the case had already received an enormous amount of publicity and added it was "common knowledge" that Millane had died last December in the inner-city apartment occupied by the defendant.

[...]

The accused, who is represented by well-known Auckland lawyers Ian Brookie and Ron Mansfield, will continue to have interim name suppression throughout the trial - the reasons for which are also suppressed and cannot be reported by media.

The Crown Solicitor at Auckland Brian Dickey, along with former London barrister Robin McCoubrey, are prosecuting the case.

Grace Millane trial: Jury to consider murder charge selected

Ah, I was just going to ask if anybody knows the reason for name suppression but it seems as though we can't know that either. It seems bizarre at the moment but I presume it will come clear in time.

Grace Millane murder trial: The key people and what to expect

Grace Millane murder trial: The key people and what to expect
Justice Simon Moore held a pre-trial conference with media representatives in October to discuss a range of issues and matters relating to proceedings.

The content of the conference is suppressed, but Justice Moore said the fact the briefing was held could be reported.

Parts of the trial will be filmed and there will be regular updates on the Herald and NewstalkZB websites throughout.

No surprise its a not guilty plea, he knows becouse of the scale of the case, he is looking at major time.

The suspect has got virtually no chance against the tall order of evidence against him.

Looks like his lawyers are going to play the victim over his compromised identity away from NZ, in the hope of delaying tactics or leniency.

Personally, I think he would have been better off pleading guilty and just take the chop.

Last edited:
From this stuff article - thought this was interesting.
Grace Millane murder trial: Latest updates from Auckland high court

The judge told the jury, when he was explaining they were not to view or read any news media about the case: “something has been published that is demonstrably wrong”.

Wonder what that detail would be? Trying to recall what was reported previously. Big call for a judge to come out and say that a reported fact is wrong.

No surprise its a not guilty plea, he knows becouse of the scale of the case, he is looking at major time.

The suspect has got virtually no chance against the tall order of evidence against him.

Looks like his lawyers are going to play the victim over his compromised identity away from NZ, in the hope of delaying tactics or leniency.

Personally, I think he would have been better off pleading guilty and just take the chop.

From this stuff article - thought this was interesting.
Grace Millane murder trial: Latest updates from Auckland high court

The judge told the jury, when he was explaining they were not to view or read any news media about the case: “something has been published that is demonstrably wrong”.

Wonder what that detail would be? Trying to recall what was reported previously. Big call for a judge to come out and say that a reported fact is wrong.

BBM : Unless he is actually innocent. Like with any trial I follow, I'm going to keep an open mind.

BBM : Unless he is actually innocent. Like with any trial I follow, I'm going to keep an open mind.
She went with him to his hotel room. She didn’t leave the hotel room alive. He took time off work and drove a rental car to the remote location the next day where her body was subsequently found. I really don’t see how he can be innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52