Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems one question is answered. The accused's version will come into evidence via his police statements. I suspect he won't take the stand.

"They were both keen to give it a go - and they did," he said.

"The accused might blame himself, but he is not to blame.

"The defence says that this was not a murder ... these actions were part of sexual activities that they were doing together and they were in no way intended to cause any harm to her.

I feel so horrified for her parents needing to hear this stuff. It’s bad enough their daughter has been murdered but now they are going to have to sit and listen to their daughter being judged because she may of slept around.

I’ve been reading our online papers here in the uk about poor Grace. How horrifying for her family having to hear this :(
What is also so scary to see is the amount of cases that now have men claiming their spouse/partner/hook up have died during ‘rough sex’. I feel this is going to be used as an excuse more and more as time goes on.

It seems it already is

The fatal, hateful rise of choking during sex

Looks like the emphasis on his side is to try and snake out of it by attempting to claim it was accidental, hoping that will translate into manslaughter' and a much reduced sentence. Unfortunately for him, he has been caught red handed, and with more concrete evidence against him to come, this is just clutching at straws.

In my view, they did have sex in that hotel room, and to start with, it was likely consensual; but I have a strong feeling they did a sex act together that went wrong. She withdrew her consent to go on, but he continued; so she resisted, and things esculated:- resulting in him losing his rag, and throttling her throat down.

If the crown/police can confirm that happened, then he may also be liable for rape charges becouse he failed to stop. Grace does not look like a girl that would have failed to have called a halt to the preceedings if she feared for her safety. She certainly would have, as any woman.

I believe from the time they first met to when they entered the hotel they had been drinking. We already know what type of character he is when he drinks:- Previous flat mates living with him told us:- "He changes personality completely". Clearly a man who is unstable under the influence:- he presented a mortal threat to Grace' away from the public eye. Unfortunately, this poor lass had no idea.

She was extremely unlucky to meet a person like that. It is obvious this fella doesn't care and never has.

Last edited:

Yes, absolutely terrifying how this is being touted as ‘the norm’ I think especially for younger people with the rise of *advertiser censored* etc showing this. So as well as this going on, it’s now getting used as a reason for death at the hands of another.

Even if it can be proved it was with malicious intent (rather than a consensual sex act and I’m not claiming to know the ins and outs of that!) the fact that the families of these murdered women have to hear this and see their loved ones being ripped to pieces absolutely disgusts me.

I honestly am scared for where this world is heading :(

This has to be one of the weakest defence cases I have ever seen. His behaviour after her 'accidental' death was in no way 'consistent with panic'. If he had just committed murder inadvertently, he wouldn't have been browsing for *advertiser censored*, taking photographs of the victim and going on Tinder dates. I suppose I'm preaching to the converted here, but it surprises me that he had the gall to put forward such a flimsy, *advertiser censored* and bull story.

This has to be one of the weakest defence cases I have ever seen. His behaviour after her 'accidental' death was in no way 'consistent with panic'. If he had just committed murder inadvertently, he wouldn't have been browsing for *advertiser censored*, taking photographs of the victim and going on Tinder dates. I suppose I'm preaching to the converted here, but it surprises me that he had the gall to put forward such a flimsy, *advertiser censored* and bull story.

BBM : It also surprises me when defence lawyers go along with these things. I'm not tarring all lawyers with the same brush because I know there are many good and moral lawyers, but there are also some who will do and say anything to get an acquittal. For me, it should not be about winning or losing, but about justice. First and always.

I don't think it's impossible that someone could die accidentally in this manner and I'm sure that some have, but certainly his actions after the event, or what we know of them so far, don't point to accidental death. Surely he would attempt to revive her or call for help. Even if too scared to do that, going out on another date seems particularly cold.

I'll be interested to hear what his defence has to say.

I feel so horrified for her parents needing to hear this stuff. It’s bad enough their daughter has been murdered but now they are going to have to sit and listen to their daughter being judged because she may of slept around.

Don't think she slept around, not in Peru anyway' where that part of her OE was a very different experience to NZ. I just think she just wanted some no strings fun at that particular time in Auckland, and wanted to do it in a private setting.

I think that is the only reason she went for the tinder date rather than stay at the hostel. ....A girl that doesn't want to be a "trophy" won by hordes of competing young guys at a party hostel.

Last edited:
"Brookie said his actions after Grace died only showed what a young man did when he was confronted with a shocking and unexpected death."

I mean, really? It's normal, for a young man who has just 'unexpectedly' killed someone, to watch *advertiser censored*, take intimate photos of the body, and then to top it off, go on a date with another woman whilst the body was in his room? How could anyone that has just accidentally killed someone, have the clarity in their mind to go on Tinder and arrange another date? Unreal.

The jury is being show a timeline of Grace's last movements through a series of CCTV images.

Detective Adam Bicknell, the officer in charge of compiling the CCTV footage for the investigation, is the Crown's next witness.

Police called it Operation Gourami, which is a randomly generated name.

Six terabytes worth of data was collected, the majority of that came from CityLife hotel.

Bicknell said these images enabled officers to track Grace and the defendant's movements from 5.11pm until 9.40pm on December 1.

Grace Millane murder trial: CCTV footage shows backpacker's last hours in Auckland

The jury is being showed a pictorial timeline of December 1:

5.11pm - The defendant is seen entering the Bluestone Room bar prior to meeting Grace.

5.37pm - Grace can be seen leaving Base Backpackers hostel, where she was staying in Auckland.

5.40pm - The defendant is seen finishing a beer at the Bluestone Room.

5.43pm - Grace is seen walking along Federal St.

5.45pm - Grace is seen taking a photo of the Christmas tree outside SkyCity. This is the last photo she will send to her family.
Grace and the accused meet near the Christmas tree. They hug and walk into SkyCity together. The defendant is wearing a blue shirt, Grace is in a black dress and white shoes.

5.47pm - The pair walk into Andy's Burger Bar at SkyCity. The pair go to the bar inside the restaurant and order a drink. Receipts show they ordered tequila and cocktails.

3a8f0dbc-8427-4709-bdcd-8e764d6fab5a_300.jpg

At 5.47pm on December 1st the pair enter their first stop for the evening: Andy's Burger Bar.

The timeline continues:

7.12pm - Grace and the accused leave Andy's Burger Bar and head back through SkyCity.

7.16pm - They walk to the Mexican Cafe. Grace can be seen smiling as she enters. The pair stayed there for more than an hour.

8.24pm - The accused pays the bill. Grace is standing next to him.

8.27pm - The pair cross Albert and Kingston St and are captured walking past three people outside Future Club, opposite the CityLife hotel.

8.30pm - They enter the Bluestone Room bar where Grace is asked for ID from the bouncer.

1040e68e-7835-49d9-a453-af023ed1dbd6_300.jpg

Grace and the defendant spend an hour in the Mexican Cafe.

The CCTV footage from December 1, 2018 shown to the jury continues:

8.37pm - Grace and the defendant grab a small table at the Bluestone Room. Here he kisses her for the first time. Grace is reluctant at the first kiss but over the next half an hour the kissing becomes more intimate. He can be seen playing with her hair and stroking her face.

8.54pm - The accused's arm is around her as they continue to sit together. They drank Heineken, cider and more tequila shots.

9.20pm - Grace leaves the table. The defendant picks up Grace's handbag and looks inside it while she is off camera. He takes a sip of her drink also.

9.37pm - The accused stands up and kisses Grace who is still seated.

9.40pm - With the accused's arm around her, the pair are seen entering the lobby of the CityLife Hotel.

9.41 - They enter the lift together and head up to the third floor together.

The timeline ends for December 1.

b0e66ce6-ec13-4b2f-9e71-6c0ab9d807a2_300.jpg

One of the last images of Grace taken entering the CityLife hotel at 9.40pm.

“9.20pm - Grace leaves the table. The defendant picks up Grace's handbag and looks inside it while she is off camera. He takes a sip of her drink also.”

Going through her bag while she was away from the table. Sounding like an all-round great guy, this one. :mad:

“9.20pm - Grace leaves the table. The defendant picks up Grace's handbag and looks inside it while she is off camera. He takes a sip of her drink also.”

Going through her bag while she was away from the table. Sounding like an all-round great guy, this one. :mad:

Grr, he's truly awful. Watching her last captured moments on the CCTV images and videos are really sad, her family must be broken up watching.

Defence counsel Ian Brookie questions Detective Adam Bicknell about the amount of alcohol consumed by Grace and the defendant on the evening of December 1.

None of the receipts from the night show the pair ordered any food, Brookie said.

"The couple we see on the CCTV images are getting on really well on their date - is that accurate?" Brookie asks Bicknell.

"Yes, there doesn't seem to be any problems." he answered.

Brookie then listed the drinks purchased. At Andy's Burger Bar receipts show the pair ordered four mango-passion mint cocktails, five margaritas and two tequila shots in the hour and 25 minutes they were there.

At the Mexican Cafe, they bought one jug of sangria and two cocktails.

At the Bluestone Room they had three bottles of Heineken, two whiskey cocktails, and two tequila shots.

"So again, they had two tequila shots each?" Brookie asked Bicknell.

"I don't know who drank the drinks," Bicknell replied.

Grace Millane murder trial: CCTV footage shows backpacker's last hours in Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member