GUILTY NH - Kimberly Cates, 42, dead, 11yo girl maimed, Mont Vernon, 4 Oct 2009

The charges are first degree murder and attempted murder - so far. Can't find anything - yet - on capital charges.

ETA - I'm not sure the murder here will qualify as a capital murder in NH. Doesn't look like it. :(

This is one of the most depraved cases I have read about in awhile.

What evil monsters. The depravity shown and then them boasting about it makes me physically nauseous.

imo

Totally agree with you. These monsters are perfect examples for the death penalty.

I wonder how the neighbor of the deceased feels, knowing their house had originally been targeted.

From Texas Mist's link, BBM:

"Marks and Spader cased houses in Mont Vernon on Oct. 1 and decided to burglarize one on Trow Road, a narrow dirt road with just four homes. They initially chose the house next door to the Cates' ranch-style home. They settled on the 4 Trow Road because it was "in the middle of nowhere" and "had no security," Savoy told police.

Gribble and Spader met Glover and Marks at the Walmart parking lot in Amherst, then drove to another location where all four changed their clothes. Gribble said he drove the three to Mont Vernon in his red 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra, dropped them off in front of 4 Trow Road and parked his car two houses down the road near heavy logging equipment and walked back to join the others.

'Jaimie, is that you?'
The men first tried to get inside the home by opening a basement window and dropping Marks through it. Marks was supposed to go upstairs and let the others inside, but the upstairs door was locked. Spader then broke into a screen porch and allegedly carved the word "Die" on the porch before he slipped through the hole where the men pulled out the air conditioning unit.

Armed with a machete, Spader let the others inside. Marks said the men were armed with knives; Savoy said they all wore gloves so they would not leave fingerprints.

After cutting the electricity to the bedroom area of the house, the four men used an iPod to light their way as they headed down the hallway. When Spader opened the bedroom door, Kimberly Cates woke up.

"Jaimie, is that you?" she said as she tried to turn on the lamp.

Spader immediately began hacking at her with the machete. Gribble went to the other side of the bed and stabbed the child. After the attack, Spader spotted a motion detector on the wall and slashed it with his machete, leaving a line of blood up the wall.

The four intruders stole jewelry and other items from the house. They returned to Gribble's car, stripped off their clothes and put them in a black trash bag in the trunk. Marks drove home after Gribble dropped him off at the Walmart in Amherst. The others went to Savoy's Hollis home."

This is not elegible for DP. We only have DP in this state for the murder of police officers. We regular citizens sleeping in our beds do not have that protection. They are discussing changing the law, but I doubt it will happen. This case freaks me out for multiple reasons. I've wondered since it happened if she locked the doors (MANY people here do not) but from reading this, she had secured her home as well as possible...except...why would there be a motion detector in the bedroom but no alarm system?

What these little creeps did is shocking. The statement that he was sorry he had left Jamie alive should be enough to through them underneath the jail and never let them out. It seems to me they were determined to get into this house, which says to me that someone could break into my home just as easily. Watching "To catch a thief" on cable stated that if it was too difficult to get in, they would just move on to another, easier target. Not so in this case. Removing the AC unit is not an easy, fast task. Nor quiet. They broke the window in the basement first, FGS. And where the hell did they learn how to cut the electricity to the bedroom?? Maybe if she had had a dog....RIP Kimberly. May your assassins roast in hell.

A man set to testify in the Mont Vernon slaying case has died, and his mother said her son was tormented by what he knew.

Police are calling the death of Jamie Hollins, 22, untimely. State police said one of the suspects in the stabbing death of Kimberly Cates told Hollins the details of the attack.

http://www.wmur.com/r/24536814/detail.html

I hope they're right and this will not hurt the case. Poor guy. Another death at the hands of these little punks.

NH hamlet braces for gory details in killing trial

Updated at 07:12 PM today

MONT VERNON, NH -- "We're about to do the most evil thing this town has ever seen."

Murder defendant Steven Spader is said to have uttered those words as he and three other teens allegedly drove to a house they had targeted in this town of 2,000 to burglarize it and kill its occupants for the thrill of it.

Spader's trial begins Monday, and jurors were put on notice during selection that they would see graphic photos of the victims and may hear from survivor Jaimie Cates, now 12. They were prepared for attorneys on the other side not to even put on their own witnesses.

Many potential jurors were disqualified after saying they were sure Spader was guilty, or were terrified by the crime and the prospect of viewing the evidence. Some said they would be skeptical if Spader's lawyers did not put on evidence of their own.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=7741610

Spader trial: Jury to see deadly home invasion site

<snip>

Spader's trial opens Monday before Judge Gillian L. Abramson with 16 jurors viewing the 4 Trow Road home where Kimberly Cates and her daughter were attacked in their sleep while her husband, David, was away on business.

Jurors will travel up the freshly graded and widened dirt road where friends and neighbors still tend the makeshift shrine of flowers and a cross at one end of the road.

They will see the Cates' ranch-style home mostly devoid of the towering pines that once shrouded it in quiet seclusion. Their lawn, like those of several neighbors, is pocked with the trunks of trees cut down since last year's attack.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....+trial:+Jury+to+see+deadly+home+invasion+site

A timeline of the case against Steven Spader

Source: Police affidavits and grand jury indictments alleging details of crime; state allegations argued in court pleadings; Hillsborough County Superior Court documents.

September, 2009: Brookline resident Steven Spader, then 17, allegedly discusses forming a "brotherhood" with Souhegan High School seniors Quinn Glover, then 17, and William Marks, then 18, both of Amherst. Spader names himself president of the "Disciples of Destruction." Christopher A. Gribble, then 20, of Brookline is also a member.

Sept. 28, 2009: Spader allegedly starts talking about wanting to break into someone's home to kill the occupants.

Oct. 1, 2009: Marks and Spader allegedly drive to Mont Vernon to scope out a house to burglarize. They initially select one at 6 Trow Road, a secluded, wooded, narrow dirt road.

Oct. 3, 2009: Spader tells Autumn Savoy, then 19, of Hollis that he is going to do a "job" that night, according to police. Spader and Savoy allegedly research online how to make chloroform, which Spader intended to use to incapacitate victims. Savoy agrees to provide Spader and Gribble with an alibi.
Later that night, Spader allegedly recruits Marks, Gribble and Glover via text messages to prepare for the home invasion.

much more here

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=e1c8b6ab-7b42-4da4-a6be-269a64114e3f

The charges are first degree murder and attempted murder - so far. Can't find anything - yet - on capital charges.

ETA - I'm not sure the murder here will qualify as a capital murder in NH. Doesn't look like it. :(

There is no DP here in NH unless LE or government.

Hubby just came home and asked me for details but I'd totally forgotten that the trial began today. I got to see some of the opening statements on the local news and am looking to see if there is a link to watch?? I'm checking the WMUR tv news site but if anyone has a link TIA.

Must get caught up with the thread!

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/891048-196/first-officer-on-the-cates-murder-scene.html

First officer on the Cates&#8217; murder scene tells of finding a bleeding child
By JOSEPH COTE
Staff Writer
NASHUA &#8211; Sgt. Kevin Furlong just left the stand after describing how he busted through the Cates front door last year to find a bleeding Jaimie Cates inside.
Furlong said he noticed that Jaimie Cates, then 11 years old, was covered in blood. Her jaw was broken, and she had to whisper to him that she thought her mother, Kimberly, was dead in the bedroom, he testified.
Jaimie Cates asked Furlong to stay with her after he carried her outside, he testified, but he went back to search the house and found 42-year-old Kimberly dead in the bedroom.
Furlong was the first officer on the scene. He required surgery to repair the shoulder he injured breaking down the Cates front door, he said.

Related Articles
Opening arguments include a poem, claims about deals

Top prosecutor shows up for Spader trial opening

ETA: On the witness stand the officer stated that 'she whispered to me, I think my mommy is dead'.
Haven't followed a trial in quite awhile and this one is not only too heartbreaking but also to close to home.

Opening arguments include a poem, claims about deals
By JOSEPH COTE
Staff Writer

NASHUA &#8211; Senior assistant attorney general Peter Hinckley stood in front of Steven Spader and pointed. He stared him down and called him a killer. Spader, for his part, stared back over his fingertips.
It was part of a dramatic opening argument by Hinckley in which he laid out the state&#8217;s case against Spader, at times walking over and staring at him while he declared the 18-year-old Brookline native &#8220;merciless.&#8221;
Other times he paced in front of the jury, holding up the machete Spader is accused of using to hack Kimberly and Jaimie Cates during an Oct. 4, 2009, home invasion.
He also read a childishly written poem that he said Spader wrote, detailing many aspects of what prosecutors say happened inside the home that night.
Spader&#8217;s attorney, Andrew Winters, followed with his own opening argument, which was briefer and focused largely on the cooperating witnesses the state plans to call.
He said the other defendants the state plans to put on the witness stand, including William Marks, Quinn Glover and Autumn Savoy, are trying to save their own skins, that they&#8217;ve cut deals and are trying to push as much blame onto Spader as possible.
He also said the state cannot put Spader in the Cates home with any physical evidence. Searches did not find any physical evidence inside the home or on the clothes police recovered from the Nashua River the next day, Winters said.

Follow the trial on our special Steven Spader trial page
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/specialreportsstevenspadertrial/?key=StevenSpader

Should this thread be moved to the "Trials" forum?

I still tend to get lost at times from where I've posted so if this thread is moved could someone please post the link for me?

TIA!

Thank you Blondie!

IWannaKnow
This is not elegible for DP. We only have DP in this state for the murder of police officers. We regular citizens sleeping in our beds do not have that protection. They are discussing changing the law, but I doubt it will happen. This case freaks me out for multiple reasons. I've wondered since it happened if she locked the doors (MANY people here do not) but from reading this, she had secured her home as well as possible...except...why would there be a motion detector in the bedroom but no alarm system?
I thought the DP was for police officer's & government officials in our state but either way, I wish it would change also. If there ever was a case that deserves it this is one for sure.
The only protection that we do have is that we can shoot and kill an intruder in self defense without facing any penalty. But, the person(s) must be already INSIDE of our home, and like this woman and her little girl, it's usually to late to react to protect oneself during a surprise night time home invasion. She thought it was her daughter and called out to her. So friggin awful.
I agree, the penalty should be for us regular citizen's who don't have the ability to protect ourselves the way police officer's do. They walk around with their weapons. They have training. It's rare that they are threatened openly in daylight here. Why should it be any different should they suffer a home invasion such as this poor family endured? Most of these monster's have no idea whose homes they are entering. It doesn't seem fair.
I live in the woods (Rockingham County) and hadn't locked my doors in years......until this happened. My hubby and boy leave very early in the AM while still dark (I'm usually a late sleeper) so we have motion detector's AND dogs!

The best coverage is here with video:

http://livewire.wmur.com/Event/Steven_Spader_Murder_Trial_Day2

Opening statements were given in the trial of Steven Spader, 18, who is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Kimberly Cates.

WARNING: Graphic Language
Prosecution's Opening Statement

Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckley said Cates' throat was slit during the October 2009 home invasion, and one eyeball protruded from her head. He said she used her body to shield her 11-year-old daughter, Jaimie, who survived and called police.
"This is what the defendant used against both of his victims," Hinckley said, holding a machete.
Going into graphic detail, Hinckley told the jury that Spader used the machete to inflict dozens of wounds upon Cates and her daughter. He said Kimberly Cates suffered more than two dozen wounds.

"Over 30 separate stab, slash and hack wounds," Hinckley said.
Sitting in the front row during the opening arguments was Cates' husband David, along with his sister and other family members. They showed little emotion as the prosecution recounted the details.
Spader sat quietly, often with his hands forming a steeple, as the prosecution talked about the motive.
"(He wanted to) break in and kill whoever was inside -- for fun, for kicks," Hinckley said.
Defense Attorney Andrew Winters attacked the credibility of some of the state's cooperating witnesses who also faced charges in connection with the attack. Some have cut plea deals for lighter sentences.
"In exchange for shifting the blame away from themselves and on to Steve Spader," Winter said.
He said the prosecution's case will be lacking in physical evidence tying Spader to the scene.

cont'd
Prosecutors then began calling witnesses, including a newspaper delivery driver and the dispatcher who took Jaimie's 911 call. The call was then played in court, and Jaimie could be heard reporting that her house had been robbed. She sounded upset and out of breath.
After the call was transferred, Jaimie was no longer on the line. Dispatch worker John Letson, who keeps records of 911 calls, said it was unclear whether she was disconnected or if she stopped responding.
Milford police Sgt. Kevin Furlong was the first officer to respond to the home. He said he saw Jaimie through the front window of the home, and she raised her head, which was covered with blood.
urlong said he was able to break the door down, and he found Jaimie lying on the floor. He said it looked like she was trying to scream, but she wasn't able to make a sound. He said she was finally able to whisper to him when he told her he was a police officer.
"She said in a whisper while shaking that she thought that her mommy was dead," Furlong said.
Furlong said he picker Jaimie up and carried her outside before returning to search the house.
On Monday, jurors were bused to the home on Trow Road where Cates was killed and Jaimie was injured.
Jaimie Cates, 12, may take the stand Tuesday to describe the night when her mother was slashed to death by machete- and-knife wielding intruders and Jaimie was left for dead with 18 stab wounds.
The trial is expected to last three weeks.
Spader faces life in prison without possibility of parole if convicted of murder.

OMG, horrifying. But this prosecutor is good! No way the defense's lame excuses can compare. The video's are def difficult to listen to, they give you the entire opening. Justice will be done here.
Juror's visited crime scene in the afternoon on Monday.

Thank you Blondie!

IWannaKnow
I thought the DP was for police officer's & government officials in our state but either way, I wish it would change also. If there ever was a case that deserves it this is one for sure.
The only protection that we do have is that we can shoot and kill an intruder in self defense without facing any penalty. But, the person(s) must be already INSIDE of our home, and like this woman and her little girl, it's usually to late to react to protect oneself during a surprise night time home invasion. She thought it was her daughter and called out to her. So friggin awful.
I agree, the penalty should be for us regular citizen's who don't have the ability to protect ourselves the way police officer's do. They walk around with their weapons. They have training. It's rare that they are threatened openly in daylight here. Why should it be any different should they suffer a home invasion such as this poor family endured? Most of these monster's have no idea whose homes they are entering. It doesn't seem fair.
I live in the woods (Rockingham County) and hadn't locked my doors in years......until this happened. My hubby and boy leave very early in the AM while still dark (I'm usually a late sleeper) so we have motion detector's AND dogs!

ITA traffics. You could be right about government officials.....clearly they are far more important than we common everyday citizens. I don't really understand why their lives and safety are worth more than ours, but this case rocked me to the core. I have a hard time hearing the details now. I also live out in the woods, and this happened a few months after Kristi Cornwell got snatched off a road in GA. Those two cases changed my world. I don't like that. The worst part for me was, Kimberly HAD locked the doors, had an alarm, did the right things. The shows you see on tv say that burglers, if confronted with locks will move on to the next home. Not so in this case. They went so far as to remove a window AC unit to access the home when they couldn't get in through the basement. This was no routine robbery. They were on a mission. If all they wanted was jewlery, they could have moved on to another, unlocked easier target (you know there were some, probably down the same street even). Makes me wonder if they knew that it was a woman and child in the house. But she had no chance and that was what they were counting on. I've read that Jaimie had gotten her black belt a few months earlier, but seemingly Kimberly shielding her with her body was what saved her. That and playing dead. I hope Spader truly enjoys and appreciates prison, for that is where he belongs.

IWannaKnow

I started listening to the dr who took care of little Jaimie in the hospital, describing her wounds and the fact that both a knife AND machete was used on this child and I couldn't take it anymore, had tot urn off the video.

Her mother was a Hero and so is SHE. The dirtbag sitting there without an ounce of remorse with his lawyer trying to shift the blame to his co-killer's is nothing short of Insulting. His lawyer tells the jury to remember he should ENJOY his constitutional right to the presumption of innocence after the prosecutor reads that poem he wrote and signed AFTER he was jailed???

This case has also rocked me to my core.
We are no longer safe in this society no matter where we go to live.

And for other's to be provided more justice simply because of the positions they hold seems unconstitutional to me!

This should be a DP case!

They are showing crime scene photos of the home. Ugh. I keep checking in on the trial & just can't bring myself to watch it entirely.

I transcribed the poem this wrote in jail if any one wants me to post it no prob.

ETA: Only time he's looking the least bit uncomfortable are the showing of the pics.
1071 watchers on wmur live!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie