NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

Fishermen discover human bones in Sandwich Notch

Maybe Maura?

"SANDWICH — A group of fishermen, following a brook into the woods off of Sandwich Notch Road, discovered human remains on Sunday, May 2. The remains are being analyzed by the state’s Chief Medical Examiner in hopes that they’ll be able to determine the identity of the person in question.

“We may not get word for a while,” said James Fogarty, a lieutenant with State Police and commander of Troop E.

The remains, which Fogarty described as “skeletal,” were found near a stream in Sandwich Notch. To access the site, responders traveled down Sandwich Notch Road, then Algonquin Road, up a snowmobile trail and then walked along the stream..."

Maybe Maura?

"SANDWICH — A group of fishermen, following a brook into the woods off of Sandwich Notch Road, discovered human remains on Sunday, May 2. The remains are being analyzed by the state’s Chief Medical Examiner in hopes that they’ll be able to determine the identity of the person in question.

“We may not get word for a while,” said James Fogarty, a lieutenant with State Police and commander of Troop E.

The remains, which Fogarty described as “skeletal,” were found near a stream in Sandwich Notch. To access the site, responders traveled down Sandwich Notch Road, then Algonquin Road, up a snowmobile trail and then walked along the stream..."

Her sister tweeted that it isn’t her. The remains are male.
https://twitter.com/JulieMurray2_9

Maybe Maura?

Does anybody know about how far this location is from her last known location, the site of the car wreck? TIA (I'm not at all familiar with the area.)

I always hope when this thread comes up that something new has been found. It seems like so long since there has been any real news.

This is one of those cases, I'm all over the map about what happened. She's one of the few missing persons cases I've followed that I think she may have actually done a runner. Identity theft was a lot easier then, and Maura, while very pretty, also looked like a million other young women, like the one posted a ways back, she absolutely looked like Maura. We know she had some credit card issues, could she have swiped a license at some point, too? Lot easier to cross into Canada back that, you didn't need a passport. I lived in SE Michigan & had family friends in Canada. Border patrol looks at your license, checks it's you, that was it, although they were always concerned about my dog & I had to show he was all up to date on his shots. I used to make jokes that I could be sitting on a kilo. If she was a passenger, they'd ask for her ID, ask where they were going, how long, what are you bringing in, bye, have a nice day.

I have a vivid imagination and I like to think that Maura left what she thought was a toxic life and is content somewhere.

Sadly, though, I think she went into the woods and is still there. Mother Earth does not always reveal her secrets.

MOO

Former West Point cadet Maura Murray disappeared in a small New Hampshire town 17 years ago, and the case continues to stump investigators and the Murray family.

On this week’s Military Matters, co-host Jack Murphy speaks with Maura’s sister, Julie Murray, who was also a West Point cadet, about the disappearance, what police and the family know — and don’t know — and the sometimes frustrating comments that have circulated on social media.
Episode 10: A former West Point cadet vanishes without a trace - Military Matters - Stripes

Once I read about the theory Maura may have been a campus informant for the FBI, that to me, brought a whole new twist onto it all, that I can't get out of my head.
It sounds so far fetched but I do recall there was a similar death with a university student called Andrew Sadek in South Dakota, who was also a university FBI informant killed in suspicious circumstances in another state.....

Maura may have been tailed by the FBI that night who realised she was running away, and may potentially reveal information. That would explain the 1st police car that showed up that didn't align with witness statements. Also the police car that was seen to pass the same motorist twice and was hinky on location reports. That may have been the car that took her "elsewhere."

Being involved in this informant FBI work may be the reason she also escaped punishment for the hit & run into Petrit Vasi, even though the police were called.

What I'm trying to say is, with Maura allegedly working on campus for the FBI, anything could have happened to her, and it opens the case up to even more variables and possibilities.....
MOO.

Found Deceased - ND - Andrew Sadek, 20, Wahpeton, 1 May 2014 *alledged undercover drug informant*

Last edited:
Once I read about the theory Maura may have been a campus informant for the FBI, that to me, brought a whole new twist onto it all, that I can't get out of my head.
It sounds so far fetched but I do recall there was a similar death with a university student called Andrew Sadek in South Dakota, who was also a university FBI informant killed in suspicious circumstances in another state.....

Maura may have been tailed by the FBI that night who realised she was running away, and may potentially reveal information. That would explain the 1st police car that showed up that didn't align with witness statements. Also the police car that was seen to pass the same motorist twice and was hinky on location reports. That may have been the car that took her "elsewhere."

Being involved in this informant FBI work may be the reason she also escaped punishment for the hit & run into Petrit Vasi, even though the police were called.

What I'm trying to say is, with Maura allegedly working on campus for the FBI, anything could have happened to her, and it opens the case up to even more variables and possibilities.....
MOO.

Found Deceased - ND - Andrew Sadek, 20, Wahpeton, 1 May 2014 *alledged undercover drug informant*
Do you think she's in the witness protection program???

They’d have to do a humdinger disguise for someone to not recognize her after all these years. Plastic surgery? If that extreme, she must have been a CI for a very big thing. Would think unlikely, but stranger things have occurred. Perhaps that recently discovered notebook was relevant after all. Guessing/ grasping at straws…

A 21 year old kid who had the life issues Maura did working with the FBI is trying to take the theorizing a little too far.

Most kids in the situation she was in don't pay much attention at all to the world outside of the little space they create for themselves.

Agreed.

I expect that if indeed Maura had entered Witness Protection, 'remains' would have been located and a funeral held...imho.

Instead, the family was left wondering to this day, and will continue to wonder.

jmho ymmv lrr

I'm sure this has been said many times before, but I'm not sure what's so puzzling about this case. A cursory google maps search of the area shows how dense and expansive the forrest surrounding the crash site is. If Maura was trying to hide from the police, or simply went off the road to go to the bathroom, it's not a far stretch of the imagination to think that she could have taken a wrong turn and wandered deeper into forrest (especially if she was drunk or disoriented).
In the Bear Brooks Murders (also in New Hampshire) a barrel with bodies in it was found in the woods, but it took 15 years for a second barrel 100 yards away from the first to be discovered, despite extensive searches of the area. The idea that a serial or opportunistic killer got to her in 5 minutes is so fantastical in comparison to the fairly routine phenomenon of people getting lost and dying in the woods.

I'm sure this has been said many times before, but I'm not sure what's so puzzling about this case. A cursory google maps search of the area shows how dense and expansive the forrest surrounding the crash site is. If Maura was trying to hide from the police, or simply went off the road to go to the bathroom, it's not a far stretch of the imagination to think that she could have taken a wrong turn and wandered deeper into forrest (especially if she was drunk or disoriented).
In the Bear Brooks Murders (also in New Hampshire) a barrel with bodies in it was found in the woods, but it took 15 years for a second barrel 100 yards away from the first to be discovered, despite extensive searches of the area. The idea that a serial or opportunistic killer got to her in 5 minutes is so fantastical in comparison to the fairly routine phenomenon of people getting lost and dying in the woods.

Yeah that is the most probable outcome. People like to speculate all angles though and also even though being murdered by someone is horrible it at the same time doesn't make her look like an incompetent kid. Whereas her leaving the scene and getting lost on her own would a little bit.

I agree. I have always believed Maura died somewhere in the woods that night but am leaving open about a 10%-20% chance that she got in the car with the wrong person (not a serial killer prowling the roads but just some unsavory character who might have picked her up for the purpose of sexually assaulting her and also ended up killing her). I do not believe she ran away and started a new life. That's hard to do in this era unless you want to live homeless or are somehow making a living getting paid under the table and not accessing any type of services that require using your birth certificate, valid ID, etc.

I think Maura probably intended to go back to school or back home after her few days away from everything. She just used the lie of a death in the family to buy herself several days away with no questions asked by the school and so no one would wonder where she was and contact her family. But her plans to get away to clear her mind or to decide what she wanted for her future were interrupted by the accident and then, most likely, by perishing in the cold in the woods. It's amazing how often we see cases where remains of missing people are found many years later very close to the location where they were last seen. I would not be at all surprised if she's in the general area of the accident site.

No.

I think she was playing up and bucking against their trust in her, was becoming more unstable, threatening to grass a few things, and they taught her a lesson. She may have even been running away from them that night.

Very similar as that university student in South Dakota. He did a similar college/FBI informant role, and he was killed in suspicious circumstances.

Don't forget Maura was ex-military, and her boyfriend's family was well connected too....

It's just this possibility that I can't get out of my head when I go through my theories....

MOO.

No.

I think she was playing up and bucking against their trust in her, was becoming more unstable, threatening to grass a few things, and they taught her a lesson. She may have even been running away from them that night.

Very similar as that university student in South Dakota. He did a similar college/FBI informant role, and he was killed in suspicious circumstances.

Don't forget Maura was ex-military, and her boyfriend's family was well connected too....

It's just this possibility that I can't get out of my head when I go through my theories....

MOO.
To be clear, I was asking the original poster if he/she thought Maura could be in the witness protection program because of what he/she posted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back