NJ NJ - Mindy Jordan, 46, missing from cruise ship off Atlantic City, 11 May 2008

I have been on several cruises...one during hurricane weather. :eek: I think it would be really hard to accidentally fall off. I question the boyfriend as well. I am sure they would have let him off the ship if he were so distraught. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not saying it can't happen...but, I'm not so sure this was an accident. :waitasec:

Although I hope they are investigating carefully, I do think people let down their guard in these situations. One of my most conservative and cautious friends recently left her children overnight for the first time ever (they are 10 and 12) to go on a cruise with her husband's company. It was the kind of thing the company does every year, and every year they make some excuse about the kids why they can't go, and this year the excuses just weren't cutting it.

So she was a basket case and forced herself to go; the kids were fine and she survived and her mom survived and the dogs survived. But my point is that the stories she told when she got back about the quantity of alcohol consumed (she normally does not drink AT ALL); the flirting with the waiter (joking that she was going to bring him home in her luggage, and her husband adopting the man's Russian accent to "get her in the mood"); and the other tales of excursions and adventures proved to me that I could NOT have predicted her behavior on this cruise.

We have known each other through good times and bad (some seriously bad) for 6 years now, and we know some very personal things about one another. If something had happened to her and her DH's story had been that she had been drinking heavily and parasailing or dancing on a table or whatever and got hurt, I'd have been harassing the police to lock his *advertiser censored* up. But from her own lips, that's exactly what she was doing (except, luckily, was not hurt).

So it's hard to say.

Seasick - hanging over railing?
Drunk - hanging over railing?

I am not much of a drinker, but something about a cruise made me act like a drunken sailor. I can totally see it as an accident.

The railings are high. I am 5'2" and they came up to my chest . I would have had to climb on them to really hang over, or be sitting on the railing to fall over.
I'm not saying that she wasn't doing something stupid, I'm just saying it isn't easy to fall off this ship.

In some of the links I provided, the BF mentions she falls to a lower deck level and tries to hang on. He rushes to help, but she is unable to hang on and falls into the water. It would be interesting to see that side of the ship.

I wonder if he's being watched while on the ship? His behavior would be very interesting!

There is a quote in the comments section of the story that states people said she was climbing from one balcony to another.

Linda, I hope he is since both the FBI and the Coast Guard is investigating. That usually doesn't happen since overboard accidents and cruise ship crimes most often happen in international waters.

I'm not finding the comments mentioned, but I did find the one's below. People and former cruise passengers are generally in agreement about the fact you don't just fall overboard. However, the BF has defenders posting.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6137000

ETA: I found it, it's comment #3. Which I'm suspicious of since like I said, the BF's defenders are posting. Not exactly unbiased IMO. Post #4 is my question.

5/12/08 2:06 PM EDT
People that were on board this NCL cruise say she was clibling over the balcony to get to the balcony next door

5/12/08 2:15 PM EDT
Did they say why? Isn't there a better route?

She was a tiny little thing. Less than 5 feet tall and under 100 lbs. It would've been easy to toss her overboard if the BF was so inclined.

She was a tiny little thing. Less than 5 feet tall and under 100 lbs. It would've been easy to toss her overboard if the BF was so inclined.

And she wasn't much taller than the railing. Sounds like this may have happened from their room. With no cameras around of course.

...I do think people let down their guard in these situations. One of my most conservative and cautious friends recently....that the stories she told when she got back about the quantity of alcohol consumed ... and the other tales of excursions and adventures proved to me that I could NOT have predicted her behavior on this cruise..

I have to say - I left my morals onshore, and that is out of typical behavior for me as well. I had the time of my life and did things I would NEVER do onshore. I don't know what it was about being on the cruise...

They really need camera survelance on ship edges.

I have been on several cruises...one during hurricane weather. :eek: I think it would be really hard to accidentally fall off. I question the boyfriend as well. I am sure they would have let him off the ship if he were so distraught. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm not saying it can't happen...but, I'm not so sure this was an accident. :waitasec:

I have been on several cruises. During bad storms, they do not allow people out on the decks. Also, I'm a little over 5'6" and it would be hard for me to go over the rail. This woman was only 4"10" so I am very suspicious.

I am going on my first cruise next month. I am already scared in some ways. This has happened more times than I like to think about. I know it is rare when you consider the number of people who go on cruises, but it is too many. It really dampens my enthusiam for the cruise. I hope they find out what happened.

Post # 18 indicates that some decks were closed because of the weather. And if this situation isn't bad enough, someone posted that the vic had a serious drug and alcohol problem. Refer to post 41. That may be true, but given the BF's defenders posting, it smells like CYA and slamming the vic to me. Typical when the public in general isn't buying a possible POI's story, they start blaming the vic.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6137000

$1 she was drunk.

Unfortunately, I think this mat have been the case. Considering she was only 98 pounds and possibly drinking it seems reasonable the wind could have blown her overboard. I hope this is the case and it's not murder.

My prayers for the family. It's such a tragedy.

The thing that I try to remember in cases involving someone being drunk is it can cause an accident, but it can also make someone an easier target for crime. It can go both ways.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back