Found Safe NJ - Thomas Kolding, 15, Mountain Lakes, 30 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming out of lurkdom to post this as I don't think I've seen it here.

Missing New Jersey Teen Possibly Spotted In Ohio, Police Say

From the article:

Thomas did leave behind one clue.

“There’s a letter he wrote to a girl he’s very good friends with that basically said I need to go see the world and I’ll be back one day,” Kolding said.
Seems Dad is thinking Thomas was not in Ohio. Not certain either way. Many more will surface on this.

Father of missing Morris County teen disputes report of Ohio sightings

Welcome to Websleuths!

Mountain Lakes has an online portal, so his parents would have access to his grades and attendance in real time for tests, assignments, quizzes, etc. (well, as soon as the teacher posts each grade). Progress reports should be available on the portal as well. Some schools don't even mail out hard copies of progress reports/report cards anymore.
The odds that this SINGLE conversation escalated and had this dramatic of an outcome for this child are baffling to me. Even if he stormed out and was organized enough to get the cash together and pack his backpack, this doesn’t sound like a spur of the moment act.

I've had several teen clients where these online portals cause major, chronic issues between parents and teens. Some parents put immense pressure on their children to be high achievers and the pressure is upped every time a grade minorly slips even for legitimate reasons. Personally, I wish for the grade portion parents would only receive a weekly summary.

I've had several teen clients where these online portals cause major, chronic issues between parents and teens. Some parents put immense pressure on their children to be high achievers and the pressure is upped every time a grade minorly slips even for legitimate reasons. Personally, I wish for the grade portion parents would only receive a weekly summary.

Can confirm. The portal has caused issues with my sister and my 16 year old nephew due to his not so great grades. Gone are the days when you can miss or get a bad grade on a HW assignment without your parents know about it.

Not to mention that they aren’t always correct-sometimes teachers enter the test but it shows up as a “zero” until the test is graded, skewing the grade for the class. Some teachers are slower at putting all grades in, which causes all sorts of issues-parents can get pushy or complain online in forums, disparaging teachers. I’ve looked weekly at one kid’s grades and heard all kinds of stories from them, never once looked at the other kid’s cause I knew they didn’t need any pressure and were doing the best job they could. Didn’t make a bit of difference either way. That’s not to say that I didn’t do a lot of nagging about grades for one kid. I guess it works for some.
Thomas is a first kid, and I expect that his parents wanted him to do as well as he could. Some kids want to be more independent than others, and will rebel against prodding. It doesn’t matter why Thomas left-he just needs to be safe. At 15, he can’t just disappear.

Also causes beaucoup stress for the student. I see students checking their own grades constantly. Often they run to the teacher immediately after the grade is posted to argue or question it. Some are even prepared to interrupt another class to argue. Or to get another teacher to email the teacher who gave the grade (mostly earned) to state the student's case. The focus is disproportional, imo

I was surprised they named the dollar amount. They could have said he had some funds, but giving the amount could make him a target.

For a 15 year old, $1,000 savings from cutting lawns and investing is pretty impressive. My 15 year old stepdaughter is a very bright honors and AP student but doesn’t know jack about investing. I think the dollar amount was mentioned because it seems impressive. JMO

I guess my last post was not victim-friendly. $1000.00 in the areas he’s traveling in will not last long. That’s just assuming he’s sleeping in an alley and eating from street vendors. Yes a 15 year old having 1k is impressive, but something tells me this kid is a modern day Dougie Houser (totally aging myself). I’m not sure how to make my last point sound more PC and victim-friendly, but the way “people” speak about him seems off IMO. He’s a 15 y/o who looks 13 max. The whole talk to him like he’s 25 makes no sense to me. I’m sure this isn’t, but it would make for a great tv series and maybe even inspire a cushy reality tv series, hypothetically.

I think the "speak to him as if he's 25" was really meant for Thomas, in case he's following what his parents say about him. To flatter him, to make him feel recognized and want to come home. Sounds like dad had dished out some harsh criticism before Thomas' departure and now he's trying to assure him how much he really admires his son. imo

I think the "speak to him as if he's 25" was really meant for Thomas, in case he's following what his parents say about him. To flatter him, to make him feel recognized and want to come home. Sounds like dad had dished out some harsh criticism before Thomas' departure and now he's trying to assure him how much he really admires his son. imo

I grew up in the foster care system and was in and out of behavioral therapy programs in the US & “flattering” an out of control, authoritatively defiant teen isn’t really an encouraged thing. I guess you could be right though, as backwards as that seems to me. I’d hope their “PR” person called a family interventionist for some guidance but who knows.

Weird thought on where he could be sleeping-he’s a smart kid. Family member has extensive experience in real estate. Did Thomas pay attention? Would he be capable of finding vacant real estate properties on the market and getting in for a night at a time? Or even an out of the way property long term? I know I’m spitballing here but it’s a better notion than him sleeping outside somewhere.

I grew up in the foster care system and was in and out of behavioral therapy programs in the US & “flattering” an out of control, authoritatively defiant teen isn’t really an encouraged thing. I guess you could be right though, as backwards as that seems to me. I’d hope their “PR” person called a family interventionist for some guidance but who knows.
The dad is regurgitating statements from a therapist’s toolbox. Dad can’t call out his son on his outrageous behavior at this time, so Dad must say something else to dialogue with his son. This is why we think his words sound so odd. All that is left for Dad to say since he can’t call out his son’s horrid behavior, is to try to show unconditional love and honor him (oddly saying he respects and trusts Thomas).

Parents who had never experienced such behavior from a child would approach this in a very different, brutally honest manner. “Your mom, brothers, grandparents, and friends are suffering greatly. This is killing Grandma. Grandpa is having chest pains every night. Your mom has scabs under her eyes from crying continuously. Your brothers sit on our porch and cry every afternoon. We are extremely worried about you. Come home NOW, Thomas!”

Last edited:
Multiple Jurisdictions, including Ohio, are responding to reports of possible sightings of him in other areas. Law enforcement is actively attempting to confirm any information regarding his whereabouts.

Editor’s Note: This story out of Ohio is UNCONFIRMED but of course being investigated as are all reported possible sightings (note that detectives put out this release acknowledging that there are multiple, unconfirmed sighting including this one, that for whatever reason seems to be getting more attention.

Authorities Seeking Public Assistance in Locating Missing Thomas Kolding

I received this email today from Real Trends, who is the fathers former employer. (Real Trends ranks top-producing real estate professionals and companies nation wide). It is followed by 2 pictures, which I didnt include. They are pleading for help:

URGENT - MISSING CHILD : Thomas Kolding
REAL Trends is asking for your help. You may have seen on social media and in other news publications that former REAL Trends' team member Nicolai Kolding's 15 year old son, Thomas Kolding, has been missing since October 30th.

We ask you, the top real estate professionals in the country, to help us spread the word nationally. We greatly appreciate you sharing this information with friends, family and clients. The more awareness the better.

About Thomas
Thomas went missing from Mountain Lakes, New Jersey and is described as a white male, 5-feet, 3 inches tall, 120 lbs, and has brown hair and eyes. He was last seen wearing a camouflage jacket, grey winter hat and is carrying around a large blue backpack. May also be wearing grey/black sneakers, athletic pants and a blue and orange Under Armour hoodie. Thomas is described as a bright, resourceful and independent 9th grader.

Thomas does not have a cell phone or any form of identification.

Latest Information
Thomas' last known sighting was on Saturday, Nov. 3rd at the Walter Rand Train Station in Camden, NJ and later that day crossing the Ben Franklin Bridge and was seen at In Philadelphia at 5th St. and Race St. around 3 PM. There has been an unconfirmed sighting in Miami Township, OH, as well as presumed reports he may be heading to California or further down the East coast.

The family is encouraging many to share this information socially. Also, visit the REAL Trends Facebook or Instagram pages for sharable posts.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is encouraged to make contact with the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Missing Persons Unit On-Call Detective through the Morris County Communications Center at 973-285-2900, or email Detective/Supervisor Leah Atterbury at latterbury@co.morris.nj.us, or contact the Mountain Lakes Police Department at 973-334-1413, specifically Detective John Hukowski.

Last edited:

Dad doesn’t want him to feel like he is a fugitive.

This is hard to watch. There’s a huge difference between a 22 year old (young man in “Into the Wild”) and a young looking 15 year old, especially one who has presumably led a comfortable upper middle class life. I just have so many questions.

Rewatched Dad’s video to Thomas and noted the comment about if there was something Thomas felt like he couldn’t tell him...sexual orientation or gender identity? Hopefully the family is reaching out to Shelters for Runaway LGBT youth..there is one here in my city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500