GUILTY NM - Omaree Varela, 9, called 911 before dying of abuse, Albuquerque, 27 Dec 2013

synthiamugs-640x438.png

Synthia Varela-Casaus: Meth ‘became her life’
http://www.abqjournal.com/379910/news/meth-became-her-life.html

Just heard about this today. My heart is broken and I am enraged at the mom, step-dad and those useless officers that took the side of two criminals over an innocent, vulnerable child.
I can't help but thinking how many precious children are experiencing such violence and abuse as I type this. I could weep for days.

Thanks to everyone who posts links/photos on this thread.

The mothers friend, Robert Morales, has appeared several times in the news. She is calling for charges against the step father for his role in the child's murder.

Omaree reported abuse to school a year ago

CYFD spokesman Henry Varela said, “Yes, a report was made and investigated by CYFD, and we made an official report to the crimes against children’s unit at APD.” Varela said he could not comment further.

Jared Rounsville, director of the state Children Youth and Family Department’s Protective Services Division, reiterated earlier Thursday that the department “did not have an active and open case on the family” at the time of Omaree’s death last Friday.

In the meantime, Gov. Susana Martinez “has directed CYFD to conduct a full review of this case,” said Enrique Knell, the governor’s director of communications.

http://www.abqjournal.com/330209/news/Omaree-reported-abuse-to-school-a-year-ago-2.html

APD works to seal up cracks for child abuse cases

Albuquerque police is working hard to make sure child abuse cases don’t fall through the cracks by ensuring officers get crucial information when responding to calls and they may use technology to speed up the process.

A hot button issue sparked after the death of Omaree Varela, 9. It even got the governor’s attention.
http://krqe.com/2014/04/23/apd-works-to-seal-up-cracks-for-child-abuse-cases/

Another chance to save Omaree?

“I can’t stand your (expletive) *advertiser censored*, I really can’t stand you. You make me so (expletive) sick Omaree,” the man says at one point. “Not even my worst enemy got me as mad as you (expletive) pain in the (expletive) … I never hated nobody like you in my life, ever. You know that Omaree. I hate you more than I’ve hated anybody in my whole life, and I’ve been on this earth 41 years and nobody has ever made me (expletive) feel the way you do Omaree, ever, and you’re a (expletive) kid and that’s bad.”

http://www.abqjournal.com/348084/news/another-chance-to-save-omaree.html

Another chance to save Omaree?

“I can’t stand your (expletive) *advertiser censored*, I really can’t stand you. You make me so (expletive) sick Omaree,” the man says at one point. “Not even my worst enemy got me as mad as you (expletive) pain in the (expletive) … I never hated nobody like you in my life, ever. You know that Omaree. I hate you more than I’ve hated anybody in my whole life, and I’ve been on this earth 41 years and nobody has ever made me (expletive) feel the way you do Omaree, ever, and you’re a (expletive) kid and that’s bad.”

http://www.abqjournal.com/348084/news/another-chance-to-save-omaree.html

Thank you HauntsForHope.

So I stand corrected. The call was traced as beginning on the road and then to the house:

(Snip)

The call was made on June 22 from a cellphone, at least part of the time from a moving vehicle. Police traced the call to a home at 4909 Comanche NE, an address police listed in a December criminal complaint following his death as the residence of Varela-Casaus and her husband, Steve Casaus.

----

(Snip)

A log of the 911 dispatcher’s back-and-forth with the officers in June shows the call was initially classified as a lower priority 2, but then bumped up to a higher priority 1. The officers arrived on the scene at about 1:45 p.m. and cleared at about 3:30 p.m.

“It does not appear a police report was filed,” said Perry, who confirmed that two officers, whom he did not name, had been placed on paid administrative leave.

The lapel video we've seen upthread was around 15 minutes, yet the call log shows the officers were there for almost two hours. Where is the video? More importantly, why didn't they file a police report? :stormingmad:

----

(Snip)

Omaree Varela spent several years living with a caretaker family while the Children Youth and Families Department conducted an investigation before the agency said in March 2011 that the child had to be returned to the biological mother.

In another in depth article posted up thread, we read about synthia's need for control after losing custody of her eldest son (which actually saved his life). Omaree was the next child, and she used her parental rights as a(nother) weapon to inflict control and uproot him whenever she could.

Once he qualified for SSI/SDI (I am unsure which), he became her / their meal ticket. There was no way she would allow Omaree to leave, even though she despised him. :moo:

He was a prisoner in his own home, beaten like a slave, likely in front of his siblings, hated by his "parents" until he had no more life left.

This case makes me question my faith - because NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE TO SUFFER LIKE THIS while so many professionals and adults are within reach, only to FAIL THEM!

:no:

Tears in Heaven, for precious Forever Angel Omaree, who went through hell on earth to gain his wings.

:tears:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heart breaks for this precious angel. What I think upsets me the most is the fact there were people who wanted him, and would have loved him. The foster family with their poster just makes me cry.

Will she be eligible for the DP with this case? I am not a huge proponent of the DP, but in cases where children are abused, I say hang them and hang them high. And in cases where what happened is so obvious, I don't even think they should be allowed to appeal a DP sentence. She didn't give him a chance, why should she fight for a chance at living?

The autopsy report said Omaree's death was a result of blunt trauma and deems it a homicide. The report detailed five blunt injuries to the child on his head, chest, abdomen, back and extremities. Omaree also had evidence of a bite mark and burns on his body.

According to the report, Omaree's injuries were at different stages of healing, meaning the injuries didn't occur at the same time.

The report also said that Omaree had nine referrals to the Children, Youth and Families Department and two of them confirmed abuse.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/autopsy-report-released-in-omaree-varela-case/25159510#ixzz2zzOS5UZ7.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico...rom-blunt-force-trauma/25167756#ixzz2zzOFYZyb

Just listened to the extended 911 call. If you didn't notice this before, give it another listen...most of the tape is Omaree being berated, told by stepdad he's "never hated anyone as much as he hates Omaree" etc....it's really bad. But then, you hear something like the phone being touched, and suddenly they aren't threatening Omaree, but only want the best for him. Mom picked up that phone, or stepdad did, and saw the active 911 call, and knew they were caught.

Poor, innocent child. How can people be so heartless?

Just listened to the extended 911 call. If you didn't notice this before, give it another listen...most of the tape is Omaree being berated, told by stepdad he's "never hated anyone as much as he hates Omaree" etc....it's really bad. But then, you hear something like the phone being touched, and suddenly they aren't threatening Omaree, but only want the best for him. Mom picked up that phone, or stepdad did, and saw the active 911 call, and knew they were caught.

Poor, innocent child. How can people be so heartless?

I haven't been able to listen to the entire thing. But I will now that you said that. :banghead:

Full 20 minute call. http://www.abqjournal.com/348084/news/another-chance-to-save-omaree.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back