Notifying Other Government Entities - From Sheriff at Presser, Sept.15/10

"Significant progress is occurring in this case," Capt. Monte Reiser said in an afternoon news conference in Northeast Portland, 25 miles east of the rural school where Kyron went missing. "We believe Kyron's disappearance involved criminal behavior because his parents have been deprived of their son for 53 days. We remain steadfast, determined and focused in our work to bring Kyron home to his family.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/day_of_kyron_hormans_disappear.html

If Kyron merely walked away and got lost and died of natural causes or met with an accident would they say it involves criminal behavior?

He could perhaps have walked away and met with the criminal element depriving the parents of their son later.

They ruled out RSO and as well a theory Kyron walked away.

I do not recall LE ever saying they ruled out anyone, particularly RSO's. I do agree they determined that Kyron didn't just wander off into the woods.

September 15 press conference transcriptions regarding "other cases"

Staton: I believe that some of the information, and some of the, through some of the discussions, there are going to be concerns, not necessarily cases.

There may be cases that come out of this, but through the discussion, there are going to be issues that the sheriff's office is going to have to address.

I believe the Portland Police Bureau will be actively involved in that.

A lot of these issues we won't address until we actually do a debrief on this investigation once it's come to a conclusion.

There are a lot of issues that have developed. There's a lot of information that our detectives, that have, that, that they've developed through the course of this investigation that (pause) have developed some concerns.

And I think those concerns need to be addressed whether it's going to turn into an investigation and/or a notification process to other government entities. We still, that still remains to be assessed.

Whatever these "issues" are they are obviously not pressing. Whatever they are, they can wait until this case comes to a conclusion, and God only knows when that may be.

Also, it's interesting that he says it's either going to be an investigation OR a notification process. This sounds internal to me, like it has something to do with how LE handles something, such as maybe RSO registering maybe, or maybe how 911 calls are handled, or maybe when child protective services should be notified. IDK?

I suspect and this is my opinin only, that TH pointed to others such as the LS and they followed those leads, when in reality it was TH alone responsible.

Now as a result they may have discovered illegal immigrants, illegal pot growing for those who do not have a permit, maybe money laundering and possibly other things.

He did not sound absolutely sure that some of these will happen to me.

Whatever these "issues" are they are obviously not pressing. Whatever they are, they can wait until this case comes to a conclusion, and God only knows when that may be.

Also, it's interesting that he says it's either going to be an investigation OR a notification process. This sounds internal to me, like it has something to do with how LE handles something, such as maybe RSO registering maybe, or maybe how 911 calls are handled, or maybe when child protective services should be notified. IDK?

I agree Billylee, especially with 911 calls and CPS notification.

When he said this:
"Whether it's going to turn into an investigation and/or a notification process to other Government Entities, that still remains to be assessed."

My first thought was ICE being one of those Government Entities.. JMO

:waitasec: I recall ICE being cited as well in the earlier threads. This agency could access border traffic as well as legal status of any parties involved. The references to Port Authority also interested me because that falls under those ICE auspices as well and includes pier facilities, trains and airplanes.

Staton: I believe that some of the information, and some of the, through some of the discussions, there are going to be concerns, not necessarily cases.

There may be cases that come out of this, but through the discussion, there are going to be issues that the sheriff's office is going to have to address.

A lot of these issues we won't address until we actually do a debrief on this investigation once it's come to a conclusion.

There are a lot of issues that have developed. There's a lot of information that our detectives, that have, that, that they've developed through the course of this investigation that (pause) have developed some concerns.

And I think those concerns need to be addressed whether it's going to turn into an investigation and/or a notification process to other government entities. We still, that still remains to be assessed.

So were there sex offenders in that school that perhaps had not registered like they are to do by law? Ones they found who had relocated from another state?

Is he going to have to make the parents aware of that at some point?

IMO

So were there sex offenders in that school that perhaps had not registered like they are to do by law? Ones they found who had relocated from another state?

Is he going to have to make the parents aware of that at some point?

IMO

Or perhaps sex offenders who've never been arrested. Where there are children, unfortunately, there are frequently pedophile adults who position themselves for access to them. Schools, churches, day cares, scouts, children's clubs, etc.

I guess I feel, as I have from the beginning, that Terri is not actually the person who took Kyron but that she is involved and has information. I am thinking maybe they found out what they needed to know without her help and do not need to focus on her now, but that she will pay later for the lies she told them about not knowing anything and possibly obstructing the investigation.

Like others here have said, it is possible there was an investigation already underway by federal government law enforcement and without the knowledge of the Multnomah County authorities. Staton may feel his force should have known about this. Possibly they wasted time and money that was unnecessary because they didn't know about it.

I guess I feel, as I have from the beginning, that Terri is not actually the person who took Kyron but that she is involved and has information. I am thinking maybe they found out what they needed to know without her help and do not need to focus on her now, but that she will pay later for the lies she told them about not knowing anything and possibly obstructing the investigation.

Like others here have said, it is possible there was an investigation already underway by federal government law enforcement and without the knowledge of the Multnomah County authorities. Staton may feel his force should have known about this. Possibly they wasted time and money that was unnecessary because they didn't know about it.

I could buy that, but I could not buy LE sitting on an obstruction charge if indeed they believed she was obstructing justice. As I've seen in many other cases, LE can hold indefinitely on this charge a person who they believe to be obstructing by withholding information (think that chick from the clinton investigation who sat in jail for 3 years because she wouldn't talk).

"There may be cases that come out of this, but through the discussion, there are going to be issues that the sheriff's office is going to have to address.

A lot of these issues we won't address until we actually do a debrief on this investigation once it's come to a conclusion."

Might this answer the questions as to why Terri has not yet been charged with the MFH or even other possible crimes? Will these cases have to wait until the conclusion of this one? Perhaps they cannot deal with the issues in those crimes until this case or something bigger comes to fruition.

I agree with Thought Fox. I think there is something bigger here...and we will be "surprised" when the whole picture is revealed.

BBM: Still trying to determine exactly what the Portland Police Bureau does, and why they would need to be involved in issues that have been uncovered by detectives in Kyron's case????

Here is their very comprehensive website, but, more digging around is required to understand what they do. An oversite organization for police divisions, or something?

Portland Police Bureau:

http://www.portlandonline.com/police/index.cfm?c=29708

I could buy that, but I could not buy LE sitting on an obstruction charge if indeed they believed she was obstructing justice. As I've seen in many other cases, LE can hold indefinitely on this charge a person who they believe to be obstructing by withholding information (think that chick from the clinton investigation who sat in jail for 3 years because she wouldn't talk).

I don't know if "obstructing justice" is the right term for what they think she did. But I do remember that Orego law requires them to take her to trial withing 60 days after an arrest. So I think they are going to wait for any arrests in this case until they are close to ready to go to trial.

I do still think she is in the picture because of all the Grand Jury activity...

BBM: Still trying to determine exactly what the Portland Police Bureau does, and why they would need to be involved in issues that have been uncovered by detectives in Kyron's case????

Here is their very comprehensive website, but, more digging around is required to understand what they do. An oversite organization for police divisions, or something?

Portland Police Bureau:

http://www.portlandonline.com/police/index.cfm?c=29708

I bet they are in charge of letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing.

BeanE - thanks for this.

Right after this part, a reporter asked "criminal?" and he said he could not comment on that right now.

This just makes me think of pictures being developed.
Notification, or investigation, makes me think someone like a parent doesn't know that their child is in pics, or they think the parent might know, which would make it an investigation instead of a notification.
Terri's son comes to mind. jmo

BeanE - thanks for this.

Right after this part, a reporter asked "criminal?" and he said he could not comment on that right now.

And thanks for that Jules, I couldn't hear what the reporter asked.

There may be cases that come out of this, but through the discussion, there are going to be issues that the sheriff's office is going to have to address. I believe the Portland Police Bureau will be actively involved in that.

BBM Read in that full context, it could either be there was a breakdown with communication, policies or procedures within the LE or information on drug/sex/*advertiser censored* trafficking developing to a greater extent than they ever realized here in America? The part where he says "whether it's going to turn into an investigation and/or notification process..." sounds more like procedural revamping - like one agency having access to another's work, politics at play. Oh gosh, who knows. I need more caffeine!

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

**BBM**

Jung: "What else could you say to reassure the public that this truly is not a serial, that there isn't a general public threat considering there's no evidence one way or the other it sounds like?"

Staton: "What I would tell you right at this point is that if I was led to believe during the course of this investigation that this was an issue that parents needed to be concerned with, the school districts needed to be concerned with, that our law enforcement community needed to be concerned with, you'd be hearing that from me right now sitting at this table that we have got a situation and everybody needs to be aware of it and we need to start building in the appropriate precautions.

"What I can say is that, ultimately, when this investigation is over with, we will be doing a post-study on this entire investigation — everybody's involvement, across the board. And we will be able to identify those things that we personally can improve on but we can also identify what I believe would be the weaknesses that may have or could have attributed to this. Those are the things that come out of a post-evaluation on this type of a thing. And this is something that once that's complete — the public will be actively involved, obviously your paper will be actively involved in that — that information needs to go out because if there are concerns, I think we as a community, our public officials need to start making adjustments internally to protect our children."

Mather: "Is that post-study routine for every investigation or is just for something as large as this is?"

Staton: "No, we do that after every investigation. There is a post-study that is done so that we can identify any potential improvements that we can make during the course of an investigation so that if it happens again. I can tell you right now that in my entire career, everything that's ever come up out of a post we've never come out of it where they've said or we've decided that everything ran perfectly. There's always been something we can improve on and I don't think you're ever going to come across there where you say 'Yeah, we've covered everything.' We always end up coming up with developing something that's going to add what we do in our investigations, our searches, and we're going to continue to do that."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back