NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

I got on Facebook and looked to see if there were any groups dedicated to his case and found a few. One was private so I requested to become a member and was just accepted yesterday. Most of the discussion on there is not much different than on here but I did see one VERY interesting thing. Last summer, one of the members (sounds like he may be a reporter?) stated that he spoke to Steven’s roommate shortly after Steven’s disappearance. He said the roommate was friendly and forthcoming, telling him that Steven was a good guy who never drank or smoked and had never been to Las Vegas. He then went on to say that the landlord ran a prescription delivery service in Las Vegas. He said the landlord was always showing up at the rental with bottles of pills....

Another interesting note is that the roommate claimed the day he moved in the landlord had 40-50 guns laying on the couch…

Hi Sassy! That (former) reporter is me. I don't recall the roommate telling me that LL worked for a prescription delivery company but, at the time of Steven's disappearance, he did work for a pharmacy that was strictly home-based deliveries. He was also under federal indictment for having a stolen Porsche in his garage. When Orem PD searched the garage, they found expired pills from the pharmacy and guns. The search ended up going into places that were not allowed by the warrant and the federal case got tossed. I believe they still pursued him locally.

Roommate told me the LL would make runs to LV and Phoenix and would always use rentals. He once came home and there was a large cache of guns in the house (he estimated about 40-50). I also seem to recall him telling me about helping LL get a Hummer unstuck from somewhere along the Arizona Strip. Said it was weird.

What I find remarkable about this whole thing is the Henderson PD denied me an interview for about a year, which isn't necessarily unusual. But when they finally relented and took a look at my info, it was the first they heard about LL being under indictment. A year... And I have no evidence that he was ever seriously looked at after that. It's so disappointing.

Glad you're still at it and I'd love to look at your info regarding the gun dealer. Send me a PM here!

Could Steven had been walking to a postal drop box to mail a package? Were there any of those in that area he was seen walking towards?

Like one of these?
attachment.php

Attachments

• img59946657.jpg
    img59946657.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 348
Could Steven had been walking to a postal drop box to mail a package? Were there any of those in that area he was seen walking towards?

Like one of these?
attachment.php
It's an interesting thought but it seems like an unusual spot to simply drop a package. I believe USPS boxes like that are generally for envelopes and maybe very small packages so I don't think anything overly bulky could be dropped there, but I could be wrong.

Personally, if it's anything larger than an envelope I'm going to the post office and not going to guess on correct postage for larger items.

I watched the video again and the quality is poor, however it seems like he was definitely carrying something on his left side and then clearly made a left turn down the next street after walking past the camera.

swjaxon did you or your news organization / paper ever publish this? News 13? Fox 5? CBS 8? News 3? Las Vegas Review Journal?

I'm trying to find some source for this but am having difficulty. This adds a lot of suspicion to this case and if it gets some traction it might convince our local Law Enforcement here to take it more seriously.

With respect to the mailbox: I don't recall seeing a big blue-style mailbox in the community. However, there is one of those community boxes right next to where he parked.

I worked for CBS and my outlet did not publish the details about the LL. I wrote something but it was killed for being too Nancy Gracish as I recall.

One thing I keep going back to here, and whether or not it's even an important detail; I don't know...is the conversation between Steven and a church mate (GW, I think?) early Sunday morning before he disappeared.

They two of them spoke of church events in Utah and Steven was quite willing to help and volunteered to leave NV and head back home to assist for an event later in the morning. His help wasn't necessary but he still was willing to drive a few hours back and lend a hand.

In retrospect, it seems like whatever he was doing at the time in NV wasn't all that pressing as he was ready to drop everything and come back to UT to help for an unspecified amount of time. So with that said, I don't really feel he necessarily needed to be in Henderson at an exact time. There seems to be some flexibility with what he was doing as he didn't seem to have any qualms heading back home.

I'm starting to think him passing the camera at almost exactly 12 noon is just a fluke and his business there didn't need to be a specific time, but perhaps just a window, be it that afternoon or any time later in the day.

Not that it gives any real insight as to what happened, but it is interesting to me that around 8 am that morning he was in a position to return to Utah without really compromising his activities in NV.

Have not looked at this case in a while.All these new comments about delivering packages, tons of guns, the presents in the car, and the fact he was supposed to help someone at his church makes me go hmmm... So do y'all think maybe he was making a delivery in Vegas for his land lord LL? Could that have been what was in the folder he was carrying, something he was delivering?

Have not looked at this case in a while.All these new comments about delivering packages, tons of guns, the presents in the car, and the fact he was supposed to help someone at his church makes me go hmmm... So do y'all think maybe he was making a delivery in Vegas for his land lord LL? Could that have been what was in the folder he was carrying, something he was delivering?

Yes, but I'm afraid what someone, (hypothetically possibly just an idea for a horror novel, certainly not anyone's landlord) might have arranged to deliver more than the papers Steve thought he was delivering....

Guns? I followed this case off and on for years I never knew anything about guns in relation to this guy?

Delivering something in a visible folder, more likely a sales pitch jmo.

Hi Sassy! That (former) reporter is me. I don't recall the roommate telling me that LL worked for a prescription delivery company but, at the time of Steven's disappearance, he did work for a pharmacy that was strictly home-based deliveries. He was also under federal indictment for having a stolen Porsche in his garage. When Orem PD searched the garage, they found expired pills from the pharmacy and guns. The search ended up going into places that were not allowed by the warrant and the federal case got tossed. I believe they still pursued him locally.

Roommate told me the LL would make runs to LV and Phoenix and would always use rentals. He once came home and there was a large cache of guns in the house (he estimated about 40-50). I also seem to recall him telling me about helping LL get a Hummer unstuck from somewhere along the Arizona Strip. Said it was weird.

What I find remarkable about this whole thing is the Henderson PD denied me an interview for about a year, which isn't necessarily unusual. But when they finally relented and took a look at my info, it was the first they heard about LL being under indictment. A year... And I have no evidence that he was ever seriously looked at after that. It's so disappointing.

Glad you're still at it and I'd love to look at your info regarding the gun dealer. Send me a PM here!

Guns? I followed this case off and on for years I never knew anything about guns in relation to this guy?

Delivering something in a visible folder, more likely a sales pitch jmo.

See above quote mentioning guns. This is new info to me, interesting if true.

See above quote mentioning guns. This is new info to me, interesting if true.

I don't know if it would be against the rules for me to post the police report regarding the LL's gun / stolen vehicle incident.

I don't know if it would be against the rules for me to post the police report regarding the LL's gun / stolen vehicle incident.
It's not.. The other person I multi quoted said they did not know about the guns and I posted yours and their post showing that it was not made up. a police report is valid info.

I know St. George native who is an LDS RM (returned missionary) from Japan. Afterwards, he lived in St. George, however, worked odd jobs including some sort of guiding tourists in Las Vegas because of his aquired language.
It has crossed my mind that Steven possibly was able to deal with non-english speakers as well, since he served in Brazil. (Not sure what language he spoke durring his) I'd be interested to know if it would have been helpful in him picking up work with LL. Surely this would have already been explored if there were a connection.

I have had suspicions about LL for a long time. I know others that posted also had suspicions. However, since he was never named a suspect or even a person of interest, we were not allowed to sleuth him. Unfortunately, even though he was arrested even after Steven's disappearance, I don't believe LE actually took a serious look at him.

In my honest opinion, I don't think LE in St. George considered his disappearance anything other than voluntary. I hope I am wrong.

I found it interesting that years ago on another forum someone posted a really insightful thread about his disappearance complete with the cell phone information etc. Later on it was revisited by a LV native who felt very confident drugs were involved in one way or another.

Initially I scoffed at the connection because Steven was such a straight shooter living a low risk life, but when you factor in this information about the LL it certainly opened my eyes to the possibility...

I'm very new at posting. I hope the following is allowed, but here's the public PC statement re: firearms charge. I deleted his name, but nothing else.
PROBABLE CAUSE STATEMENT: Samuel Sorensen, UTAH COUNTY MAJOR
CRIMES TASK FORCE, having probable cause to believe a crime was committed, submitted
evidence in support of the filing of this Information: On October 9, 2013 in Orem, [landlord]
was pulled over for not signaling when turning onto another street. Police smelled the odor of
burnt marijuana and found a marijuana pipe in [landlord's] truck. Marijuana was still present in the
pipe. A search warrant was executed on [landlord's] truck and residence. Police found at least 5
guns in [landlord's] truck. As an unlawful user of a controlled substance, he is a Category II
restricted person. This occurred within 1,000 feet of an LDS church, making this a drug-free
zone..
Based upon evidence received from Samuel Sorensen, UTAH COUNTY MAJOR
CRIMES TASK FORCE, I have reason to believe the defendant(s) committed the offense(s) as
charged herein.
Authorized for presentment and filing this 15th day of October, 2013.
UTAH COUNTY ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
Sworn to by: ______________________________
Craig Johnson
Deputy Utah County Attorney
Attorney for Plaintiff
100 East Center, Suite 2100
Provo, Utah 84606

Perhaps I'm missing something here but he was pulled over for not signaling, marijuana was subsequently discovered and that allowed for a search warrant for both his vehicle AND house? Huh?

Perhaps I'm missing something here but he was pulled over for not signaling, marijuana was subsequently discovered and that allowed for a search warrant for both his vehicle AND house? Huh?

I believe the guns were in the truck with him. maybe they could search his house because of the location he was pulled over in? Or previous charges? Idk

I decline to read back over to find the post, sorry, but a reporter following the LL's story indicated that charges were "thrown out." Maybe the prosecutor's office noticed a problem with the search....

JMHO YMMV

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back