NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool!
Can you put it online, so the fresh version is always a click away?
If you're a google member, you can upload things. It took me about an hour to figure out that it was easier than I thought it was.

Or...once you've done all the hard work, I can upload it and give you the credit for YOUR hard work.

Thanks Lay. I will probably need your help getting it in a permanent spot. I am not a "techy" type person. I will let you know when I am ready tomorrow.

It looks like you have the Gregory Webb call listed twice. I am pretty sure there was only one call.

I know. Naegle said something about a call in the afternoon -- that's why I left it in. But I agree, it should come out.

Hey guys! You know me by now, as the one who thinks SK and SP are together somewhere. I have kinda let that go for a day or so and continue to read everyone's posts on here, hoping I can give some input. However, I decided to go refresh my memory on SP by reading the articles on her case. I was re-reading an article about SP's disappearance and I couldn't help but notice another similarity that I wouldn't have noticed had I not been a part of this wonderful group! See what you think:

Ok. So, SP's brother, Kirk Graves has been quoted in articles and said his wife Jennifer and SP have discussed her marital problems. Guess where they live?

LAS VEGAS, NV....

So, I did a white pages search on Kirk and got an address about 26 miles away from the Savannah Springs address (assuming that's the right one). Also, I searched Jennifer Graves and it looks like she owns some houses (unless that's the wrong Jennifer).....

Time for a cigarette break!!!!!

I remember reading in an earlier post that someone who knew Steven decribed him as " spontaneous " . Meaning what, that he would drive places on a whim, visit people who didn't expect him, was somewhat impulsive ? I wonder.
One thing that has come into focus for me is that Steven's family and friends seem highly protective of him somehow, beyond what one would think for a man of 30. Naegle said that there is one piece of information which they are holding back, but that " it is not about his character. " So, I'm openly *speculating * here. Is he, in daily life, much "younger" than his chronological age ? Does he have any kind of condition,such as adult ADD ? Has he ever had any learning difficulties, or something more serious,such as Bipolar Disorder ? Just a vibe I'm getting.
Fairy, I don't know who Christopher Coleman is ( but I get the gist ). I notice you used the term "running away " in Steven's case. But,really, does a 30 year old single guy actually run away ? I know what you meant,but I think you might have unconsciously picked up on the same thing I did ? JMHO.

If you haven't noticed, I'm lagging behind you all tonight, but it's Friday. I'll be here till I drop.

We are protective of him because we love him. If any member of my family disappeared we'd act the same way. He isn't "much younger" than his cronological years, but he may be a bit. He's just a simple guy. (not simple-stupid) He may have a mild case of ADD, but it's never been a problem or been diagnosed. That being said, you guys have read some of his news articles. He's a very responsible and smart person.

One evening Steven and I were talking and trying to figure out what to do that night and he said "We could go paint rocks and I'd be happy." I tell you this to illustrate my "simple" wording. Steven often told me he didn't need much out of life. But the things that he did need were a job and a woman to marry and he didn't have either. I'm sure that was very painful for him. I hope some of that made sense and was helpful.

You wrote "I did a search on Google with the words "Las Vegas" and "car was found" and "2009" and "disappeared". There was not one. . .not one!. . .disappearance like this in Vegas in 2009."

I tried it with this exact search entry:

2009 abandoned car missing "las vegas"

Google returned a missing persons case from January 2009:
Michael Doane, 47, Missing Since 1/28/09, Las Vegas, NV - Help Find The Missing

Catching up here after my real life intervened. Whew, you guys have covered a lot of ground. I don't have anything new to add at the moment -- other than, like you all, this case is consuming my thoughts.

I'm a graphic designer, so if any of you guys (sleuthers or Steve's family and friends) can think of *anything* I could help with, please let me know. I'm verrrry far from local to this case, but I'm virtually available. Thoughts and prayers to Steve's loved ones.

I'm a graphic designer, so if any of you guys (sleuthers or Steve's family and friends) can think of *anything* I could help with, please let me know.

Me too.

I'll confess though. I often see someone ask "who can zoom in on this pic", or "can you clean that up and see what's in the background?"... and I hide in the corner. I do that all day at work, and somebody else (who's probably a graphic designer too) always shows up with the enlightened/zoomed pic before me. lol

I've been working hard on the timeline this afternoon, and dug through newspapers and the "Help Find Steven" Facebook page.

It looks to me, that the meeting was later in the day, because Paul Doxey called him about it, too.
I think these calls were really to wrangle Steven back to St George. THREE people called him, asking him to cover at least two church meeting issues later that day....and the third call wasn't early, either.

http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html

Just a clarification Seth didn't call and ask Steven to come to a meeting. He asked him to make an announcement in church. FYI In our worship meetings whoever is conducting the meeting usually makes church related announcements. Basktball is church related because as wards we get together and compete against other wards. Steven was in a leadership position where he would make these announcements every third sunday (conducting rotates between leaders). The point is on a normal Sunday Steven should have been going to church at 1pm utah time and Seth was asking him to do something at that meeting.

You wrote "I did a search on Google with the words "Las Vegas" and "car was found" and "2009" and "disappeared". There was not one. . .not one!. . .disappearance like this in Vegas in 2009."

I tried it with this exact search entry:

2009 abandoned car missing "las vegas"

Google returned a missing persons case from January 2009:
Michael Doane, 47, Missing Since 1/28/09, Las Vegas, NV - Help Find The Missing

Interesting that Mr. Doane also was having trouble finding a job. (Although before I get carried away with theories about a serial preying on job seekers, it does look like Doane wandered off in the wilderness, possibly a suicide.)

Hey guys! You know me by now, as the one who thinks SK and SP are together somewhere. I have kinda let that go for a day or so and continue to read everyone's posts on here, hoping I can give some input. However, I decided to go refresh my memory on SP by reading the articles on her case. I was re-reading an article about SP's disappearance and I couldn't help but notice another similarity that I wouldn't have noticed had I not been a part of this wonderful group! See what you think:

Ok. So, SP's brother, Kirk Graves has been quoted in articles and said his wife Jennifer and SP have discussed her marital problems. Guess where they live?

LAS VEGAS, NV....

So, I did a white pages search on Kirk and got an address about 26 miles away from the Savannah Springs address (assuming that's the right one). Also, I searched Jennifer Graves and it looks like she owns some houses (unless that's the wrong Jennifer).....
Time for a cigarette break!!!!!

What are you smoking?

Kirk Graves is not Josh Powell's brother.
He's Josh's brother-in-law, married to Josh's sister Jennifer.

They live in West Valley City, not Las Vegas.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14035282

The reason Josh and Susan Powell moved to Utah from Washington State, is because Jennifer & Kirk, as well as Josh's mother, already lived in the Salt Lake City area.

Ok new thoughts.

I find it odd that he went shopping and bought gifts for his neice and nephew. That could mean one of two things: #1 He was planning on coming back from Henderson to deliver those gifts.
#2-He bought them as one final gesture, knowing they would be found in his car/apartment after he was gone.

I also find it odd that he bought those gifts that early in December when he was short on funds. Most men I know (whether short on funds or not) wait until the very last minute to buy Christmas presents.

All of this time we have been looking at what he did before he went missing. Do we know of any plans that he made for after the 13th?

Naegle, where does the neice and nephew live in relation to Steven's apartment. Tom mentioned that Steven would stop in Texas to visit when he was on his way to/from his sister's house. Our the children hers? Maybe they had plans to do an early Christmas, like December 15th or something which is why he bought the presents on the 12th. If those plans were made in advance, it could mean he actually planned to come back.

ETA: I see in Latyonian's timeline, children belong to brother. Above questions would still apply as to location and any plans made.

I don't think Steven had plans with his immediate family much before christmas because he told his mother he'd be home for christmas on the 23rd. Steven's brother, Matthew, and his family live in South Jordan aka Salt Lake for those not in Utah. Steven's sister lived in Texas for a few years, but then got married 1 year ago and moved to LA the state(I have no idea how to spell it). She and her husband planned on coming to Utah for the holidays.

We also had a traditional family reunion on the 26th up in the mountains. Steven loved this vacation and he was planning on being there.

We also had a traditional family reunion on the 26th up in the mountains. Steven loved this vacation and he was planning on being there.

Respectfully snipped. This, coupled with the Christmas gifts and the things Steve left behind (computer, phone charger, etc.) really lead me away from thinking he willingly disappeared. From the outset I've thought, like others of you, that he unfortunately met with foul play along the way.

Just a clarification Seth didn't call and ask Steven to come to a meeting. He asked him to make an announcement in church. FYI In our worship meetings whoever is conducting the meeting usually makes church related announcements. Basktball is church related because as wards we get together and compete against other wards. Steven was in a leadership position where he would make these announcements every third sunday (conducting rotates between leaders). The point is on a normal Sunday Steven should have been going to church at 1pm utah time and Seth was asking him to do something at that meeting.

Is there something significant here?
At the exact time the church service was starting in St George, Steven got out of his car and started walking.

I've got Seth down as wanting the announcement, and my confusion is with the Paul Doxey and Webb calls.

Are you saying that it was Steven who was supposed to officiate at the 1pm worship meeting, or Webb? Was Doxey trying to round ONE of them up to do it?

Can you check those calls in the timeline we've come up with? The link is right below the purple words, for sequence and purpose?

Meanwhile, I'll add a note about the church service in St George was at 1pm Utah time.

Thank you!

Yes. I'm not sure what time frame of video WE have, the owner gave us a bunch of dvds. I'd love to parcel them out to you all, but I'd probably have to send you one each through snail mail. From what we've watched, his car wasn't in the area before.

Are you saying Steven WAS in the area prior to 12/13 but his car WASN'T?

I can't stay on much longer tonight. Was hoping to see Naegle before I left.

Naegle if you make it here tonight, here are a few questions I had that I thought you might have an answer to:

1.) Did/Does Steven have a history of taking off for periods of time?
Nope
2.) Are his Birth Certificate, Passport, other pieces of identification missing?
I don't know:croc:
3.) Was he taking any medication? Was he ever treated in the past for mental\nervous type issues? Drugs, Alcoholism, etc? I know this information is not our business in the normal sense, but could play a factor in his disappearence.
No. I'm not trying to cover anything. Just, no.
4.) Do we know of any arguments/altercations with family or friends he may have had in the days/weeks before his disappearence?
His mother did mention that Steven got a little short with her when she asked if he needed money, but he didn't yell or anything.
5.) Has anything happened recently that may have caused humiliation or embarrassment?He turned 30??

Laytonian, I did find Michael Doane's case when I did my search. But I was looking for disappearances IN Las Vegas that fit Steven's disappearance facts. Michael Doane's vehicle was found way outside of Las Vegas in the middle of nowhere according to the write-up. 40 miles east of the 95 & Lee Canyon Rd. . .that is way out there. You are right in that Las Vegas Metro was mentioned and investigated the disappearance. So, I guess that would make it Las Vegas but that would only be technically correct because even way out in that area that is Metro's district because it is still in Clark County. In Steven's case, he disappeared in the city of Henderson so it is Henderson's jurisdiction. But pretty much all of the desert in Southern NV is covered by Las Vegas Metro. As someone else said, I think Mr. Doane walked out into the desert and never came back.

Laytonian: Here is the part of the article I was referring to. I copied the link as well.

Clues in a notepad?

Utah newspapers have reported that police in West Valley City, a Salt Lake City suburb, have taken a notebook from Susan’s desk at work as evidence. The papers have reported that the notebook may contain clues about marital problems the couple is said to have been experiencing. But Black declined to talk about any evidence that his department may have collected, instead continuing his public request that Josh Powell submit to questioning.

Meanwhile, Susan’s family continues to refrain from publicly suspecting Josh of being involved in Susan’s disappearance.

Susan’s brother, Kirk Graves, also talked with Lauer Thursday. Speaking from his home in Las Vegas, Graves said the family hopes that Josh will speak to police to help their investigation. At the same time, though, Graves said, “We understand his desire to get an attorney.”

TODAY
Joshua Powell told police he last saw his wife before taking their sons on a late-night camping trip.
Lauer said it’s hard to imagine a husband who would not want to give police every bit of information he could to find a wife at a moment when time is of the essence.

“I would agree with that,” Graves said without elaboration.

Graves said he has seen Josh and spoken to him, but has not had a chance to ask him specific questions. “He’s quiet. We haven’t had a chance to have any conversations on specific questions, such as where is Susan?” he told Lauer. “He’s just very stressed, he’s concerned, but nothing more than that.”

‘I just pray no’
Local newspapers have reported that Josh had become more controlling after he and his wife moved to Utah from Washington state. The couple had filed for bankruptcy in 2007, and money may have been a problem.

Graves said that his wife, Jennifer, and Susan were close and talked about the state of the marriage.

TODAY
Asked if he thought Joshua Powell had anything to do with Susan Powell’s disappearance, her brother, Kirk Graves, said, “I just pray no.”
“Josh is an interesting person,” Graves said. “He’s a little different personality. I think ‘controlling’ is a safe word to use, but I also don’t think it should be overused.”

Lauer ended the interview by asking Graves, “In your heart of hearts, do you think Josh had anything to do with Susan’s disappearance?”

“Wow,” Graves said before continuing. “I’ve very carefully avoided analyzing that question. On my part, there’s too many emotions, too many family members. I just pray no.”

At the press conference in Puyallup, Susan Powell’s relatives cried and appeared stunned to be sitting in front of reporters and television cameras. Susan’s father, Chuck Cox, responded to a question about whether he believes his daughter is still alive.

“That’s a tough question. I believe she is. I have nothing to say she isn’t,” he said. “As a father, I can’t give up the hope that she’s alive.”

Here is the link where I copied this from:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34460904/ns/today-today_people/

Hi, all

I need a bit of help with the timeline.

Believe09 or anyone:
The first posts in each thread say that the "last financial transaction" was at K-Mart in St George on 12 Dec.
BUT....that would mean he'd driven to Mesquite and purchased fuel and snacks, then driven back to St George, because the Mesquite purchase is also on 12 Dec.
I've left the timeline in that order (because I try to omit assumptions)...but it just seems blasted-ackwards.

Naegle or anyone:
Does anyone know, if the 11:10am time on the Dec 13th Paul Doxey call is the time when Doxey made the call, or when Steven received it? (It makes a huge difference in the logic of the phone calls, since we're dealing with two time zones).

If there's anyone else you see that looks wrong, please ask!

We have our own little family time line that I pulled that info from. I'll double check it though. Paul Doxey wrote that and he's in Utah so I'd say 11:10 Utah time. Here's a big BUT Paul Doxy's call didn't register on Steven's cell phone list.

If you haven't noticed, I'm lagging behind you all tonight, but it's Friday. I'll be here till I drop.

We are protective of him because we love him. If any member of my family disappeared we'd act the same way. He isn't "much younger" than his cronological years, but he may be a bit. He's just a simple guy. (not simple-stupid) He may have a mild case of ADD, but it's never been a problem or been diagnosed. That being said, you guys have read some of his news articles. He's a very responsible and smart person.

One evening Steven and I were talking and trying to figure out what to do that night and he said "We could go paint rocks and I'd be happy." I tell you this to illustrate my "simple" wording. Steven often told me he didn't need much out of life. But the things that he did need were a job and a woman to marry and he didn't have either. I'm sure that was very painful for him. I hope some of that made sense and was helpful.

Yes, it is. I think I married the older, Gentile version of Steven. The much older version ;)

I love to paint rocks, myself.
Wouldn't it be great if we could all get together with Steven, when this is over, and have a rock-painting party?

I believe that a couple of points for Steven being alive are :

1. His body language on the first video. He seemed at ease and familiar with his surroundings. He could very well be staying in that neighborhood now, living with someone. That his car is not in some other videos may not mean much ; he could simply have parked elsewhere.
2. The fact that he told Seth Aboud on December 13th that he would not be at the basketball game on the 16th. Not maybe, he said he would not be there.
3. I read about Steven's father describing the search efforts ; the searches were quite extensive, and nothing at all turned up. There is just no evidence at all of foul play.Steven was young,and I assume healthy. I have never read a credible scenario of how or why he would have met with foul play. He had no money, so robbery is out.He wasn't carjacked. I assume he doesn't drink or use drugs, so he was not high or intoxicated.
I had asked about his mental state,not out of any prurient curiosity, but I thought that people seemed very protective of this young man,and I wondered if that protectivness was perhaps preventing them from thinking that he wanted to do what he did. That he met someone and was bowled over,and might not want to communicate with people rom his past at this time.
I believe that much of what is written here on these forums is speculation ; how can it be otherwise ? We were not present when the event happened,and we can only make educated guesses. We have little or no "proof " of anything. Sorry if anything I have written here has caused anyone distress, not my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member