NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have many theories. However, if we look at the big picture and list every little detail, I believe the "looking for job/victim" scenario fits best.

What is so special about Vegas over St. George in all the other theories? He could have disappeared in St. George, he could have killed himself in St. George, he could have left his phone in St. George and gone to the "Vegas Underground". He also could have left St. George without anyone knowing to meet a so called "forbidden lover" in Vegas.

The only thing St. George lacked for Steve was a good job.

Is it significant that he didn't disappear from Las Vegas, he left the car in Henderson, which is quite a different city?

The main reason I've doubted the job/victim scenario is that Steven's contacts with his friends from church sound like whatever he was doing was optional. He could head back to St. George for the church obligation and it wouldn't matter.

I have wondered if this visit might have been similar to the Ruby Valley one -- that he went there trying to track down a (girl)friend's parents or grandparents who used to live there. And if the old girlfriend had a new jealous husband...

wouldn't we know by now if any of the girls he had dated (which mostly didn't sound serious) had contacts in that area? family has wracked their minds and couldn't think of any connections. I feel like with him being three months behind on rent, that wasn't his frame of mind at the time. I agree with the job/victim scenario above others...with suicide a distant second...love triangles or starting a new life don't fit for me. I feel like murders are so much more common than people disappearing to start a new life without a trace, esp when people aren't a) young runaways b) in serious trouble with the law or c) unhappily married. how often does that really happen, successfully, for over a year and then are found with a different identity? it seems like it takes a lot of money to do that successfully, or a decision to live on the streets, neither of which make sense.

My mind and emotions can't get over the finding of the passport months after he was reported missing. Especially since this was supposedly the "secret" the family was holding back per N.

I mean, really, think about it. Your child is missing. Yes, it would be very hard to go through their personal belongings, but if those belongings could give you one tip or clue to maybe finding them.....I'd still be up and going through them page by page and piece by piece...reading everything on both sides of the paper. His siblings or other relatives could have gone through them if the parents were that upset. Just doesn't add up.

Why would he need a passport for a job application? Was he thinking of applying abroad? I don't think you need a pp for a governmental job? You would have to pass the security clearance first.

If he was thinking of getting out of Dodge, he wouldn't be taking his laptop, cell phone, etc, because of the trace capabilities. Guitars can be replaced....with better ones. Don't think that was a "must".

Just too many oddities in the way this whole case has been handled and investigated. And a family member reminding us here they had the authority in this case...along with tips going to FB rather than LE was my first clue.

Passport and trip to RV doesn't fly with me....nor the phone conversations on the 13th. No matter how you turn or flip it. JMO

I think he out there and I think he's ok.

Look up SK on any people finding website.....who are the relatives listed?

You generally need to prove eligibility to work in the US for any state or federal government job, regardless of security clearance. So, either proof of US citizenship, or the appropriate worker's visa (I think it's the H1B visa?). I'm a professor at a public college, and therefore a state government employee, and that's a standard requirement for all employees at any level, or in any field. I'm in the humanities, so I'm not ever going to be teaching anything or conducting research on anything that will ever need security clearance (like I might if I were in the sciences or engineering), but I still had to provide proof of eligibility to work in the US before officially becoming a state employee. If I remember correctly, you have the option of showing either your passport, or a combination of other documents (such as an original birth certificate plus a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now). I opted to just show my passport, since "passport trumps everything else" and then I wouldn't have to run around gathering multiple documents (like I even know where my original birth certificate is, anyway--it's probably shoved in a box in my parents' house a thousand miles away). Since a passport is the "gold standard of ID" where the government is concerned, it's really the easiest way to verify your ID and right to work inside the United States, not just as ID when entering or leaving the US.

Not that my thesis on the Splendors of the Passport In Government Employee Identification sheds any light on what might have happened to Steven Koecher, sadly.

I also want to share a sleuthing technique that people may not know.

Tax assessors offices of most counties or cities depending on size have an online resource called GIS. It allows you to view interactive maps of land parcels and see who owns them, when they were bought or sold, how much was paid, and usually gives a contact address. Figured some of you die hards could use this tactic to look a little deeper into neighborhoods and also perhaps contact locals without door knocking.

You should be able to find these maps via google by searching
"insert City or town name, GIS map"

(BE RESPONSIBLE WITH THIS KNOWLEDGE! Don't go harassing people because you've been sitting at your laptop and convinced yourself they are killers :) )
Henderson, NV GIS comes up as this

I find this GIS easier to use for Henderson
http://gisgate.co.clark.nv.us/openweb/?getParcel=19113899008

Googling turned up this and others, here is GIS for city of
http://maps.cityofhenderson.com/public/zoning/zoning.html

To use GIS maps, zoom in on the area your interested in, select identify from the menu, then click the land parcel.
On the second link you need only click the property

If you use google instead of my link you will also find sex offender maps and other maps in the city.

I can't post in the sleuthing tips area so if this is deemed a good tool for sleuthing perhaps someone can get it added for me.

TY!

There are some realty sites that will give you the residents name, etc if you just google the addy. Since, the economy tanked, along with the houses in that subdivision taking a very bad hit, many of the houses have fallen into foreclosure or sold since SK's disappearance. So even if you tried to contact the now resident (which I would recommend leaving to LE or the PI) there is a very good chance it could be someone else. Although, the site I mentioned tells when, who and how much the house sold for, but no contact number.

I doubt highly there would be any listed sex offenders in that subdivision, and child predators would not be interested in SK; yet, they may have families members that are not on the radar. ?? Scary to think a John Wayne Gacy could be living there! We have tossed the idea of a love triangle (both sexes) and the scorned lover around.

I downloaded the file and right clicked it, then selected "properties"
Selected the details tab and got some file info seen below

created by user "labuser" (sounds like a computer lab at school)
Content Created: 11/16/2004 8:47pm (perhaps when he attended school? Seems to be old and irrelevant to the case)

The website seems to be a file sharing site for students everywhere to use as sources for papers and projects. My guess is Utah.cc shares all files left on their lab computers with coursehero.com.

Thank you! That's what we needed to know.

You also confirmed something else: the commercial website that displayed parts of that file, was just another dishonest site. The work was obviously not from Fall 2009 AND I wonder if it even was Steven's.

We have many theories. However, if we look at the big picture and list every little detail, I believe the "looking for job/victim" scenario fits best.

What is so special about Vegas over St. George in all the other theories? He could have disappeared in St. George, he could have killed himself in St. George, he could have left his phone in St. George and gone to the "Vegas Underground". He also could have left St. George without anyone knowing to meet a so called "forbidden lover" in Vegas.

....and a wife. Those were the two things his diary/journal said were important.

Thanks for showing up again!

wouldn't we know by now if any of the girls he had dated (which mostly didn't sound serious) had contacts in that area? family has wracked their minds and couldn't think of any connections. I feel like with him being three months behind on rent, that wasn't his frame of mind at the time. I agree with the job/victim scenario above others...with suicide a distant second...love triangles or starting a new life don't fit for me. I feel like murders are so much more common than people disappearing to start a new life without a trace, esp when people aren't a) young runaways b) in serious trouble with the law or c) unhappily married. how often does that really happen, successfully, for over a year and then are found with a different identity? it seems like it takes a lot of money to do that successfully, or a decision to live on the streets, neither of which make sense.

My ex-detective friend says that statistically speaking, walking out is the most likely thing, by quite a large margin. Then suicide. Relatively few people get murdered, and if you aren't involved in drugs, gang activity, or an abusive relationship, the odds go down even farther.

Guys walk out all the time. Nice guys who would never do anything like that, who just can't take any more and feel like their families would be better off without them. They usually do turn up eventually, but usually not for several years, and then by accident. They just go somewhere else and go on living a normal life until they run into somebody who knew them in the other life.

And while I know Steven loved his family and his family loved him, I don't think he told them everything, and I suspect that some of the things he did tell them, they just didn't hear, because parents are like that sometimes.

(It should be noted that I'm not saying any of these things did happen -- only the possibilities.)

TY!

There are some realty sites that will give you the residents name, etc if you just google the addy. Since, the economy tanked, along with the houses in that subdivision taking a very bad hit, many of the houses have fallen into foreclosure or sold since SK's disappearance. So even if you tried to contact the now resident (which I would recommend leaving to LE or the PI) there is a very good chance it could be someone else. Although, the site I mentioned tells when, who and how much the house sold for, but no contact number.

I doubt highly there would be any listed sex offenders in that subdivision, and child predators would not be interested in SK; yet, they may have families members that are not on the radar. ?? Scary to think a John Wayne Gacy could be living there! We have tossed the idea of a love triangle (both sexes) and the scorned lover around.

The Henderson tax rolls -- don't remember exactly where -- include information about other people living in the house. When I looked early last year, it seemed like half the people on EL, Savannah Springs, and the other street whose name I have forgotten had at least one other person living there, and most of those were women with Hispanic or Brazilian surnames.

Thank you for your thoughts. I also believe the "looking for job/victim". It is the best scenario.

Just a few things I have said before. My husband grew up with Steven's dad in the same neighborhood and graduated together. My daughter worked with Steven's mom in a church calling. She new the family, and the younger kids. Who she said were: honest, happy,funny, and friendly.

At my husband's High School reunion, we talked to the family. Asked how the kids were, and Steven's mom said all were good, and Steven moved to St. George, and was not able to find work. We took his number.

My daughter lives two blocks from where Steven lived. having lived there ourselves(in the exact neighborhood) I got hold of a few people who knew Steven. They saying, he was kind, happy, involved in church activities, and somewhat naieve.

As far as predators, look up Steven's neighborhood where he lived in St. George, and see if any are there in his neighborhood-hmmm....

Someone said they did not think it could be a drug run situation-Really? It could have been, Steven thinking he was making deliveries of furniture, appliances, important documents, etc. I got this info from someone in law enforcement. If Steven found out it was illegal, maybe his person got rid of him before he snitched.
There are alot of possibilities. I believe it started with someone he knew- a connection, or friend-mmm....

You generally need to prove eligibility to work in the US for any state or federal government job, regardless of security clearance. So, either proof of US citizenship, or the appropriate worker's visa (I think it's the H1B visa?). I'm a professor at a public college, and therefore a state government employee, and that's a standard requirement for all employees at any level, or in any field. I'm in the humanities, so I'm not ever going to be teaching anything or conducting research on anything that will ever need security clearance (like I might if I were in the sciences or engineering), but I still had to provide proof of eligibility to work in the US before officially becoming a state employee. If I remember correctly, you have the option of showing either your passport, or a combination of other documents (such as an original birth certificate plus a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now). I opted to just show my passport, since "passport trumps everything else" and then I wouldn't have to run around gathering multiple documents (like I even know where my original birth certificate is, anyway--it's probably shoved in a box in my parents' house a thousand miles away). Since a passport is the "gold standard of ID" where the government is concerned, it's really the easiest way to verify your ID and right to work inside the United States, not just as ID when entering or leaving the US.

Not that my thesis on the Splendors of the Passport In Government Employee Identification sheds any light on what might have happened to Steven Koecher, sadly.

Thanks. I was just thinking along the lines of the birth certificate for ID verification for job purposes in general. Since he was said to be tight for finances I didn't think he would bother with a new passport fee unless interested in international jobs. I would think someone in his field would need a little experience before going global per se, but maybe? I had a friend who had a little experience in journalism, shortly after his graduation and ended up covering the war in El Salvador in the 80's because he could speak Spanish also. Now it does me make me wonder if he had a copy of his birth certificate with him and if the parents found it.

I just had another thought....does anyone know if SK had a camera or video cam? Did his phone have a camera? LE would have been able to view those, if so. ??? There might have been information on those to give a clue of a place or a person; especially if it was recent to his disappearing?

My ex-detective friend says that statistically speaking, walking out is the most likely thing, by quite a large margin. Then suicide. Relatively few people get murdered, and if you aren't involved in drugs, gang activity, or an abusive relationship, the odds go down even farther.

Guys walk out all the time. Nice guys who would never do anything like that, who just can't take any more and feel like their families would be better off without them. They usually do turn up eventually, but usually not for several years, and then by accident. They just go somewhere else and go on living a normal life until they run into somebody who knew them in the other life.

And while I know Steven loved his family and his family loved him, I don't think he told them everything, and I suspect that some of the things he did tell them, they just didn't hear, because parents are like that sometimes.

(It should be noted that I'm not saying any of these things did happen -- only the possibilities.)

I know it is something that happens. but people who don't even pack their stuff? take their money? leave their car in a random neighborhood? apply for anything in their name? use their SS number? call anyone they know for over a year? nothing unusual turns up in their computer or cell phone records? are single sober nongambling avid lds members? is common? I think it's pretty rare. I know in my city, one or two people get killed every year, at least, sometimes more. but I don't hear about missing people much, unless they are kids in custody disputes, runaways, or people who are victims of crime (abused- may be killed or hiding) or criminals. it's not something regular, that happens with regular people. maybe taking off for a short time, yeah, is different. or ditching their wife and kids. a lot of missing people are found safe, but most of those are relatively soon after they go missing.

put this way, if my brother disappeared, I would KNOW something bad happened to him. granted, he doesn't have the financial problems steven had, but I think financial issues are more of a hindrance to a successful disappearance. unless you are street smart/have friends you can crash with, and none of his have heard from him.

it's not impossible. it's on the table. but you'd have to think steven was a very crafty person- not the kind of person he came of as, to everyone who knew him, it seemed like. what did he have to escape? the only answer ever seems to be, he was gay. or he was tired of...being judged for having difficulty finding a job? I don't think he had a lot to escape from. he would have the same employment difficulties any other other name just ten times more bc it is difficult to come up with a fake job history. does he have fake documents? how did he afford them? I think steven wanted to be successful. he didn't want to be a roadie for the rest of his life or have a daddy warbucks pay his way. I think he wanted to have a normal, successful life, with his own family, in contact with his family. this was eluding him a little bit but I still think that is what he wanted in his heart of hearts.

some people have said they would be shocked if he turned out to be a crime victim. I would be totally shocked to find out he was still alive.

holly blue: since his phone was not found, any camera pics would not be available to LE.

http://answers.ask.com/Society/Family/how_many_people_go_missing_each_year

9/10 people who go missing every year are children. of the portion who are adults (this site says 50,000- may be more may be less) many are found, and some (I would say many) are undoubtedly murdered. So I would say, overall, given more than 15000 people are known killed every year in the United States, that the odds, are not much more likely. JMO. http://ask.yahoo.com/20060531.html this site says only around sixty percent of murders are ever solved (not including missing persons cases). and here, http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...-are-there-in-the-us-what-happens-to-them.htm almost 5000 unidentified bodies are found annually of which over 1000 remain unidentified after one year, and 600 of these are buried or cremated, never being identified.

The Henderson tax rolls -- don't remember exactly where -- include information about other people living in the house. When I looked early last year, it seemed like half the people on EL, Savannah Springs, and the other street whose name I have forgotten had at least one other person living there, and most of those were women with Hispanic or Brazilian surnames.

I remember that. There were some Italian names also. :) This is the site I was talking about. Most of these houses have been reduced to half of their worth. Ouch, big time.

http://lasvegas.blockshopper.com/

RSBM

holly blue: since his phone was not found, any camera pics would not be available to LE.

Yes, LE would be able to pull them up from the phone company's files. I'm following a case now where they are doing just that for a potential child predator.

TY!

There are a few offenders, 13 or so in within 1-2 mile radius. Not saying anything about relation of them and Steven, just including it in possible sleuthing resources along with GIS ( could be handy in other cases).

Also want to mention that being a child predator is not a prerequisite of being a sex offender. By definition - A sex offender (also sexual offender, sex abuser, or sexual abuser) is a person, who committed a sex crime, although what constitutes a sex crime differs by culture and by legal jurisdiction.

So rape, exposing yourself, playing grabass etc.. can get you in the registry.

I can see a possibility of a new boyfriend of his old flame doing something crazy. Not likely but possible. I would be inclined to say he went to the homeless life, but leaving the pillow and blanket in the back of his car and carrying what looks like a portfolio into the neighborhood doesn't support that. The cell phone ping from the north end of town the next day also sounds odd.

Good article on The Missing. I can not find the stats on murdered men alone, but guessing it may be lower than women. Now I'm curious. But the missing men in one year out number the total for yearly murders of both male and female.

Slightly more than half—about 25,500—of the missing are men. About four out of 10 missing adults are white, three of 10 black and two of 10 Latino.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/forensics/americas_missing/2.html

In 2008 there were about 14,180 according to FBI statistics. However, it should be noted that some jurisdictions don't report to the FBI, and many felony manslaughters aren't tallied as "murders" in these DOJ reports.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_murders_are_committed_in_the_US_each_year#ixzz1Kw6cSdfM

Good article on The Missing. I can not find the stats on murdered men alone, but guessing it may be lower than women. Now I'm curious. But the missing men in one year out number the total for yearly murders of both male and female.

Slightly more than half—about 25,500—of the missing are men. About four out of 10 missing adults are white, three of 10 black and two of 10 Latino.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/forensics/americas_missing/2.html

In 2008 there were about 14,180 according to FBI statistics. However, it should be noted that some jurisdictions don't report to the FBI, and many felony manslaughters aren't tallied as "murders" in these http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6412959#post6412959DOJ reports.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_murders_are_committed_in_the_US_each_year#ixzz1Kw6cSdfM

interesting! here's one we will not be able to look up....the saddest one: how many people are killed each year but never found. these will show up in the prior section and not the latter, whereas there is no skewing that goes the other direction. if we change it to the voluntarily missing, the results are impossible to calculate. after all, we already know steven is missing! we all want to know what happened to him.

my guess (am I allowed to say this?) one of the first few houses on portsmouth or the right hand side of evening lights, from the direction the man in the video was facing. now, no one go jumping into any backyards. to the poster who spoke of a technical recruiting business: was this house, on that side of the street or the opposite?

Thank you for your thoughts. I also believe the "looking for job/victim". It is the best scenario.

Just a few things I have said before. My husband grew up with Steven's dad in the same neighborhood and graduated together. My daughter worked with Steven's mom in a church calling. She new the family, and the younger kids. Who she said were: honest, happy,funny, and friendly.

At my husband's High School reunion, we talked to the family. Asked how the kids were, and Steven's mom said all were good, and Steven moved to St. George, and was not able to find work. We took his number.

My daughter lives two blocks from where Steven lived. having lived there ourselves(in the exact neighborhood) I got hold of a few people who knew Steven. They saying, he was kind, happy, involved in church activities, and somewhat naieve.

As far as predators, look up Steven's neighborhood where he lived in St. George, and see if any are there in his neighborhood-hmmm....

Someone said they did not think it could be a drug run situation-Really? It could have been, Steven thinking he was making deliveries of furniture, appliances, important documents, etc. I got this info from someone in law enforcement. If Steven found out it was illegal, maybe his person got rid of him before he snitched.There are alot of possibilities. I believe it started with someone he knew- a connection, or friend-mmm....

When I was searching job listings on Craigslist in the St. George area, I saw some ads looking for delivery people, though they did not specify what was being delivered. Perhaps Steven took a job like this, which would perhaps explain all his trips in the days before his disappearance. I would think that one would inquire about what they were delivering, but people close to Steven have said he was a bit naïve and trusting, could he have gotten caught up in transporting drugs, stolen goods, etc?

Not to in any way question his character, but one of his trips brought him near his parents yet he didn’t contact them or stop by, which seems odd since he was so close to his family. Did he not tell them he was in the area because he did not want them to know what he was doing? Perhaps he knew he was involved in something questionable but was so desperate for money he put his morals aside?

On the other hand, I kind of doubt someone running an illegal trafficking business would use random people found on the internet to transport items, seems too risky.

Ugh, this case really drives me bonkers!!
:banghead:

There are a few offenders, 13 or so in within 1-2 mile radius. Not saying anything about relation of them and Steven, just including it in possible sleuthing resources along with GIS ( could be handy in other cases).

Also want to mention that being a child predator is not a prerequisite of being a sex offender. By definition - A sex offender (also sexual offender, sex abuser, or sexual abuser) is a person, who committed a sex crime, although what constitutes a sex crime differs by culture and by legal jurisdiction.

So rape, exposing yourself, playing grabass etc.. can get you in the registry.

I can see a possibility of a new boyfriend of his old flame doing something crazy. Not likely but possible. I would be inclined to say he went to the homeless life, but leaving the pillow and blanket in the back of his car and carrying what looks like a portfolio into the neighborhood doesn't support that. The cell phone ping from the north end of town the next day also sounds odd.

Yes, it would be good to know which ones have aggravated sexual assaults vs someone who may have got caught trying to join the mile high club. :eek:

I was relating to the subdivision itself, but the surrounding Vegas vicinity has over 1,700 SO's and that's the ones listed.

My belief is he had help from someone(s). I still wonder if LE searched any of the local building roofs for the cell phone. Many a perp will throw them there.

When I was searching job listings on Craigslist in the St. George area, I saw some ads looking for delivery people, though they did not specify what was being delivered. Perhaps Steven took a job like this, which would perhaps explain all his trips in the days before his disappearance. I would think that one would inquire about what they were delivering, but people close to Steven have said he was a bit naïve and trusting, could he have gotten caught up in transporting drugs, stolen goods, etc?

Not to in any way question his character, but one of his trips brought him near his parents yet he didn’t contact them or stop by, which seems odd since he was so close to his family. Did he not tell them he was in the area because he did not want them to know what he was doing? Perhaps he knew he was involved in something questionable but was so desperate for money he put his morals aside?

On the other hand, I kind of doubt someone running an illegal trafficking business would use random people found on the internet to transport items, seems too risky.

Ugh, this case really drives me bonkers!!
:banghead:

OR the next time he saw them he wanted to say see dad? I got a job. I told you I'd be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley