GUILTY NY - Carlina White, 3 wks, Harlem, 4 Aug 1987

Thanks Bessie, you beat me to it, it was so great to hear good news on the TV. :)
A bit of a reminder of JC Dugard. :)
I hope more come home.

Carlina White's Amazing Return After Kidnapping Is Reminiscent of Other Cases
Carlina White's amazing reunion story with her mother and father is as chilling as it is heartwarming. As an infant, Carlina was snatched from a hospital in Harlem where her parents Joy White and Carl Tyson had taken their feverish baby. Carlina was raised in nearby Bridgeport, Conn., under the name Nejdra Nance. But as she grew up, Carlina eventually became suspicious of her parentage. For one thing, there was no birth certificate or Social Security card. And her instincts kept cluing her in that she did not belong to the family that raised her.
Although stolen children returning to reclaim their identities and rejoin their families in adulthood is unusual, Carlina White is not the first.

* In 2001, Matthew Propp was reunited with his biological father

Anthony Russini. Propp had been stolen when he was a toddler and was a young adult by the time his true identity became known. Propp was at the center of a contested adoption and when the court ruled the adoption invalid, Barry and Judith Smiley, ran off with baby Matthew in 1979. They lived under the alias Propp until the deceit was discovered 21 years later. Barry and Judith Smiley were both convicted, him of second-degree kidnapping, her of custodial interference.

* Jaycee Lee Dugard is probably the most recognized name among stolen children >>>>snip
Rhonda Christie came home 36 years after her abduction at age 4 >>>>>>>>>snip

>>>>>>>>>>sots more at link

http://tiny.cc/5feya

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family
Family photo at link.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...n-1987-woman-reunited-with-family?ft=1&f=1003

>>>>snip

Carlina White, now 23 and living in Atlanta after growing up in Bridgeport, Conn., as "Nejdra Nance," did some of the detective work herself, the Associated Press says. According to her maternal grandmother, Elizabeth White, Carlina/Nejdra "just had a feeling, she felt different from the people raising her" and found photos of a baby that looked like her on a website about missing children. That led her to her biological mom, Joy White, and subsequent DNA tests have proved the connection.

>>>>>>>>snip

This story really made me happy......a great story that I will remember for a long time. I can almost feel their happiness when I watch this on the news.

The happiest story I've heard in some time. Not even just a story...REAL life!

So much here is not good, but necessary. This is just so uplifting! And to think she did it all herself. What a smart, brave and special woman she is. The pics with her Mom and Dad are spectacular. All are ridiculously happy! Just does my heart good.

Stolen As Baby In 1987, Woman Reunited With Family
Family photo at link.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...n-1987-woman-reunited-with-family?ft=1&f=1003

>>>>snip

Carlina White, now 23 and living in Atlanta after growing up in Bridgeport, Conn., as "Nejdra Nance," did some of the detective work herself, the Associated Press says. According to her maternal grandmother, Elizabeth White, Carlina/Nejdra "just had a feeling, she felt different from the people raising her" and found photos of a baby that looked like her on a website about missing children. That led her to her biological mom, Joy White, and subsequent DNA tests have proved the connection.

>>>>>>>>snip

Only thing left is to find that "person" who kidnapped only to NOT give her the life she should have had...like her parents would have. I think that will happen quickly. Again, what a joyous outcome! :great::great::great:

white_carlina.jpg
white_carlina_ap.jpg

Missing Since: August 4, 1987 from Harlem, New York
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: July 15, 1987
Height and Weight: 1'9, 8 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Some agencies give Carlina's last name as White-Tyson. She has a birthmark above her left eye.

Details of Disappearance

White's parents took her from her home in the 3100 block of Broadway to to Harlem Hospital on August 4, 1987 because she had a 103-degree fever. Her mother stated that in the emergency room, she was comforted by a woman dressed in a white uniform. Her mother believed the woman was a nurse. White was was admitted as a patient, placed in the 17th-floor pediatric ward, and given intravenous antibiotics. Her fever broke afterward. She disappeared from her room sometime between 2:30 and 3:55 a.m. She has never been seen again.

The woman who spoke to White's mother was not a Harlem Hospital employee and had apparently been loitering at the facility for several days prior to the infant's abduction. Authorities believe it was she who abducted White. The woman is described as being 5'8 tall and 180 to 190 pounds. She was between 25 and 35 years old in 1986. Investigators located and interviewed one possible suspect in Baltimore, Maryland a few days after White was kidnapped, but the woman did not have White and was not charged in her disappearance. White's disappearance is believed to be the only abduction from a hospital in New York City history.

In 1989, authorities stated they believed White's disappearance was connected to the presumed abductions of Andre Bryant, Christopher Dansby and Shane Walker. Bryant, six weeks old, was abducted from the New York City borough of Brooklyn in March 1989 after his mother was murdered. Dansby, 2, and Walker, 1, disappeared from the same Harlem park in May and August 1989 respectively. All of the missing children are African-American. Investigators eventually decided that Walker's and Dansby's disappearances were probably unrelated. However, all of the cases remain unsolved and it is unclear what happened to any of the children.

White's parents sued the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation after her abduction and obtained a six-figure settlement in 1992. They placed half the sum in trust for White; she can collect the money if she is found by her twenty-first birthday on July 15, 2008. She remains missing and her case is unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New York City Police Department

646-610-6914

BBM
I sure hope that money can some how go to her

This story is miraculous! Wishing the White's the very best as they take up a life interupted together.

I love when we get to read stories like this. With so many bad things we ready about in this World, it is so refreshing to hear something as happy as this.

I asked the mods to merge into Carolina's thread which was linked above.

Warrant issued for woman who raised stolen child
By MIKE BAKER

The Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. — The woman who raised a child kidnapped from a New York hospital two decades ago has violated her probation and is believed to be on the run from authorities, North Carolina officials said Friday. A warrant was issued for her arrest.

Authorities declared Pettway a probation absconder Friday, resulting in the arrest warrant. Her name has been put into a national law enforcement database.

"We definitely believe she is willfully fleeing supervision," said Pam Walker, a spokeswoman for the North Carolina Department of Correction.
The article says she is on probation for embezzlement and is not supposed to leave the state.

She might've kept Carlina hidden for 23 years, but I seriously doubt that she can hide herself for long. No way. She'll be found. Carlina and her family will get justice, and with any luck, other families with missing children will get answers.

Some of the news reports state that the woman who raised Carlina White was not able to provide her with a birth certificate when she asked for it. It would be really interesting to know how this woman enrolled her "daughter" in school without a birth certificate. A birth certificate is a standard requirement for starting school. Perhaps she had a fake one for that purpose...

Arrest Warrant for Woman Who Raised Kidnapped Girl
She's on the run.

North Carolina officials issued an arrest warrant Friday for Ann Pettway -- the woman who raised a baby girl kidnapped from a Harlem hospital more than 20 years ago.

Pettway is formally wanted for violating her parole on an attempted embezzlement but officials also want to question her about the infant girl's 1987 abduction, in the spotlight after the now grown woman's amazing reunion with her real Bronx family.

After repeated attempts to find Pettway, who's last address was in Raleigh, authorities put her name into a national law enforcement database and released a new photo of her.

>>>>>more at link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41197477/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/

The article says she is on probation for embezzlement and is not supposed to leave the state.

She might've kept Carlina hidden for 23 years, but I seriously doubt that she can hide herself for long. No way. She'll be found. Carlina and her family will get justice, and with any luck, other families with missing children will get answers.

ITA...Carlina has been with this woman for so long, she has to know most of her friends, relatives, acquaintances, contacts, etc. Wow, 23 years of being lied to...that will take her some time to accept all of this. Talk about betrayal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back