Found Alive NY - Constantinos 'Danny' Filippidis, 49, Lake Placid, 7 Feb 2018

I have been enjoying the discussion here and am open to the idea that part or all of this was a hoax.

I don't think it was a hoax but rather a guilty conscience catching up to someone who self-disappeared.

And yes, I know head injuries can do weird, strange, and scary things to people- but what evidence have we that this man HAD a head injury- except his behavior which has many possible alternative explanations?

MOO

I'm still stuck on how anybody who gave him a ride hasn't come forward. On my limited "Goggle Fu" there a couple year round campgrounds and there where a lot of events going on. Maybe possible he caught a ride with someone in a RV heading back to Cali? It would be easier to sleep in one of those instead of a sleeper berth in a semi.

The driver would have to sleep sometime and I have a hard believing that a truck driver wants to cozy up to a stranger in full ski gear in the sleeper.

I guess, either its a BS story about the big rig, or the driver just doesn't follow the news that much.

I was about to write the same thing! selective memory loss?

I just think this whole story is surreal. I do not even understand why the driver has not come forward, why he took that much money from the cash machine, how he thought of getting a haircut of all things, why a new IPhone etc, etc...

I could maybe understand the driver not coming forward, as I said up thread, he might just not follow the news, but I agree that the cash machine, the haircut, the iPhone. All these things together are strange... to say the least.

I guess, either its a BS story about the big rig, or the driver just doesn't follow the news that much.

If there was a "big rig" driver they might not be operating legally. IE: driver logs. I worked for a company with long haul drivers and some of them were very creative with the log books.

He's safe with his family, he should have privacy now imo, this is turning into gossip, doesn't feel right for me tbh.

He's safe with his family, he should have privacy now imo, this is turning into gossip, doesn't feel right for me tbh.

What about search teams out looking for him - they have families also. They were doing their job looking for a person that wasn't even in the state. Not to disagree - but there were conditions that were unsafe for seasoned ski patrol.

I can understand your sentiment, and it certainly demonstrates you are a caring person.

However harsh it seems, we speculate and comment on most likely scenarios based on our experience and tenure "sleuthing". Many folks on this forum have submitted tips to LE based on their research that has resolved cases. You can see those when the thread is marked "match". That means a Websleuther provided some data or a tip that helped resolve the case.

Naturally, we are all pleased this gentleman found his way back home. We are interested in knowing what happened so we can apply that data point (probability) to the next similar missing persons case. So their is some altruism in our nosiness. : )

I have been enjoying the discussion here and am open to the idea that part or all of this was a hoax.

I don't think it was a hoax but rather a guilty conscience catching up to someone who self-disappeared.

And yes, I know head injuries can do weird, strange, and scary things to people- but what evidence have we that this man HAD a head injury- except his behavior which has many possible alternative explanations?

MOO
I completely agree with you! Tbh, we don't have much evidence to support either side, but the police seem to believe him and the story. My post was more to say that, at the very least, his self reported behavior wasn't necessarily incompatible with a head injury and with some points was pretty consistent.

That being said, guilty conscience is equally (if not more) plausible to me... though my speculation on that point will remain with me for now

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

There are people who wear pawjammas to walmart everyday...

I can understand your sentiment, and it certainly demonstrates you are a caring person.

However harsh it seems, we speculate and comment on most likely scenarios based on our experience and tenure "sleuthing". Many folks on this forum have submitted tips to LE based on their research that has resolved cases. You can see those when the thread is marked "match". That means a Websleuther provided some data or a tip that helped resolve the case.

Naturally, we are all pleased this gentleman found his way back home. We are interested in knowing what happened so we can apply that data point (probability) to the next similar missing persons case. So their is some altruism in our nosiness. : )

As far as we know, he hasn't committed any crime. He didn't call the cops. Therefore, I don't think his private life needs to be made public for our entertainment.

I also find it odd that he could remember his wife's #. I don't even know my own cell #, much less my husbands.

I just read the entire thread and didn't see any personal info posted about him or his family.

As far as we know, he hasn't committed any crime. He didn't call the cops. Therefore, I don't think his private life needs to be made public for our entertainment.

That's as it should be. I was replying that we don't have a right to know.

JMO
LE is asking the public to help piece together what happened because from what I gather the family and the found person themselves dont even know what happened.

"New York State Police are asking for the public's help to piece together what happened. If anyone saw Filippidis between Feb. 7 and Feb. 13, call police at 518-873-2750. "

"A Toronto firefighter who vanished for nearly a week causing hundreds of people to search for him in the Adirondacks has returned home."

"His disappearance kicked off a massive multi-agency search involving members of the U.S. Department of Environmental Conservation, New York state police, Homeland Security, U.S. border officials and volunteer Toronto firefighters,"

Its human nature that once he was found that all the people that were worried about him and searching for him are now curious what had happened to him. Very glad he is now safe and understandably curious what had happened. And yes people in SM really do care about people that go missing even if they have never met them.

If there is any recalled memory I would hope the family can provide a courtesy update in a generic way. They can choose not to of course if they want and then of course the questions would understandably remain.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adiro...ronto_firefighter_returns_home_to_canada.html

I'm just shocked that there is NO camera footage of him. ANYWHERE.

I'm just shocked that there is NO camera footage of him. ANYWHERE.

Very true, there must be, but the time frames are so vague, they'd need to narrow it down, from, eg, a record of when and where he withdrew money from an ATM, or tracking backwards from video of him in the airport.

Perhaps they're searching that, or perhaps, since the case isn't an alleged crime, they can't justify the police time to collect and troll thru footage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG
Back