NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #3

Right? Such BS. Trump gets tons of free TV time from the press breathlessly reporting every trash word he says as he comes in and out of court. Y'know how you handle a narcissist? Gray rock. Ignoring them is the only way to deal with them effectively. If the media would put down their cameras, the problem would be fixed. The monkey will dance as long as you keep throwing him peanuts, which in this case is attention.

DR. Bandy X Lee agrees with you, but the media wants the ratings, the clicks, PROFIT.
We need to bring in the professionals and stop giving him extra air time and oxygen.

Probably because Stormy's testimony was strong, and they don't want to allow too much salacious testimony in the trial if it is unnecessary. imo

Apparently Karen was on the witness list, but the prosecution did not indicate that they were definitely going to call her to the stand.

“We had her on the witness list… we had never affirmatively indicated we were going to call her,” said prosecutor Joshua Steinglass.

There shouldn't be any salacious testimony in this trial.

The only testimony that was needed from Stormy Daniel's is that she was paid in a non disclosure agreement to not talk about a extramarital meeting she had with Donald Trump. JMO.

Anyone have an opinion as to why Karen McDougal not being called to testify?
I think the DA decided her testimony isn't necessary. Trump is on trial for falsifying business records and I think the DA has established the links the jury needs to connect the dots with the former National Enquirer publisher to Stormy to Michael Cohen to Trump with some of the documents they entered today.

JMO

After Westerhout left the stand, prosecutors spent the rest of the day calling a series of custodial witnesses to introduce cell phone records into evidence...
....The texts corroborate what Daniels and Davidson have testified so far that the deal briefly fell apart in mid-October – and will also likely help bolster Cohen’s credibility when he takes the stand next week.

Probably because Stormy's testimony was strong, and they don't want to allow too much salacious testimony in the trial if it is unnecessary. imo

Apparently Karen was on the witness list, but the prosecution did not indicate that they were definitely going to call her to the stand.

“We had her on the witness list… we had never affirmatively indicated we were going to call her,” said prosecutor Joshua Steinglass.

BBM. I think you are spot-on right!

JMO

Between our two posts there's mention of two different AG's from two different administrations that didn't prosecute.

In my opinion it's because they didn't find evidence of a crime that would result in a conviction. JMO.
To me, it seems like overwhelming evidence has been produced, at times by people still working for Trump.

The only testimony that was needed from Stormy Daniel's is that she was paid in a non disclosure agreement to not talk about a extramarital meeting she had with Donald Trump. JMO.
Was it an extramarital meeting for Stormy? The fact that Stormy had sexual encounter with a married man running for POTUS is why the hush money was paid. The cover-up was a violation of campaign finance laws.

JMO

To me, it seems like overwhelming evidence has been produced, at times by people still working for Trump.
I haven't seen any evidence yet about the business records that are what this case is about.

So far the evidence presented has been underwhelming to me. JMO.

It seems obvious that the defence were not going to stop salacious details.

Judge Juan Merchan called out former President Donald Trump’s defense team during their motion for a mistrial Thursday afternoon, telling them there were many times they could have objected to Stormy Daniels’ testimony, but did not.
For the second time this week, Merchan expressed surprise that Trump’s lawyers had not objected more when Daniels was on the stand.
“For some unexplained reason that I still don’t understand” there was no objection to certain testimony cited in the motion for a mistrial and again today.
“Why on earth she (Necheles) wouldn’t object to the mention of a condom I don’t understand,” Merchan said.

Was it an extramarital meeting for Stormy? The fact that Stormy had sexual encounter with a married man running for POTUS is why the hush money was paid. The cover-up was a violation of campaign finance laws.

JMO
I haven't seen any evidence that supports the reason for the NDA was for political and not personal reasons. JMO.

I haven't seen any evidence yet about the business records that are what this case is about.

During the testimony by Jarmel-Schneider, a chart was put up for the jury. This chart clearly showed which criminal charge relates to which business transaction.

The chart that was just admitted into evidence through Jarmel-Schneider's testimony illustrates which count corresponds to which invoices, general ledger detail vouchers and checks.
Using Jarmel-Schneider's testimony on this chart is a smart way of helping the jury understand, in simple, visual terms, what otherwise would take dozens of complicated records to show.

I completely understand him not being sent to jail. I wouldn't be able to send him to jail. I wouldn't be able to be a juror either. It's too dangerous. He and his followers will come after you and your family. He's a cult leader and a crime boss and a former president. Such a disgrace. I can't wait for just one day to go by where I don't have to see or hear his name. MOO
BBM. How did that work out for his followers who are now sitting in prison for their participation on January 6th? His buddy Steve Bannon's appeal was denied today and he's headed to prison.

I also wonder how many religious leaders support the political candidacy of morally--and financially--corrupt man who cheated on his many wives repeatedly and and also lied on financial documents.

JMO

It seems obvious that the defence were not going to stop salacious details.

Judge Juan Merchan called out former President Donald Trump’s defense team during their motion for a mistrial Thursday afternoon, telling them there were many times they could have objected to Stormy Daniels’ testimony, but did not.
For the second time this week, Merchan expressed surprise that Trump’s lawyers had not objected more when Daniels was on the stand.
“For some unexplained reason that I still don’t understand” there was no objection to certain testimony cited in the motion for a mistrial and again today.
“Why on earth she (Necheles) wouldn’t object to the mention of a condom I don’t understand,” Merchan said.
In my opinion the defense didn't object to every salacious statement made by Stormy because that can alienate the jury if they bombard the witness with them.

The judge should have had better control of his courtroom.
JMO.

In my opinion the defense didn't object to every salacious statement made by Stormy because that can alienate the jury if they bombard the witness with them.

The judge should have had better control of his courtroom.
JMO.

Unfortunately, the judge had to intervene on the defence's behalf. Because the defence just weren't doing their job. imo

Maybe this opens a door for trump to appeal that his lawyers were no good?

Merchan specifically pointed to Daniels’ testimony about the trailer park, in which Daniels suggested Trump told her she would be stuck living in a trailer park before they had sex in 2006. The judge said he felt that was unnecessary and he objected himself.

During the testimony by Jarmel-Schneider, a chart was put up for the jury. This chart clearly showed which criminal charge relates to which business transaction.

The chart that was just admitted into evidence through Jarmel-Schneider's testimony illustrates which count corresponds to which invoices, general ledger detail vouchers and checks.
Using Jarmel-Schneider's testimony on this chart is a smart way of helping the jury understand, in simple, visual terms, what otherwise would take dozens of complicated records to show.

Thanks. I wish I could see this chart that was made by a defense paralegal.

Unfortunately, the judge had to intervene on the defence's behalf. Because the defence just weren't doing their job. imo

Merchan specifically pointed to Daniels’ testimony about the trailer park, in which Daniels suggested Trump told her she would be stuck living in a trailer park before they had sex in 2006. The judge said he felt that was unnecessary and he objected himself.

I think that the judges actions may lead to a reversal. JMO.

I haven't seen any evidence that supports the reason for the NDA was for political and not personal reasons. JMO.
I think a $130,000 hush money payment in late October, 2016--for a sexual encounter that took place in 2006--was absolutely for political reasons.

JMO

From my link upthread:

In the messages, the two discuss whether American Media Inc. would buy Daniels’ story – and for how much – before giving a play-by-play of the status of the negotiations and payment Cohen ultimately made to Daniels’ attorney in late October 2016.
The texts are notable because neither Howard nor Rodriguez is expected to testify in the trial. Some of the texts were introduced through David Pecker, who was Howard’s boss, but prosecutors used a paralegal to show more of them to the jury this week.
“We’re not doing the Trump deal,” Rodriguez texted Howard on October 17, 2016.
“Keith (Davidson) gave me a heads up. What happened?” Howard responded.

“They didn’t pay when they said they would and they keep trying to buy more time,” Rodriguez responded.

They have had compelling evidence about the business records from people who worked with Trump for a long time, and from someone who still works for him,(apparently when she testified, Eric Trump-her now boss-came into court for the first time to watch her testimony, either to support her or intimidate her ?),-as well as outsiders such as Pecker. The chief financial officers's testimony would have been interesting, but alas, he is in prison, for the second time for crimes associated with his work with Trump. (This time for perjury in the New York civil trial, so obviously, if the jury did get to hear his evidence, they would have to be careful) I'm hanging out to hear Cohen's testimony, another long term insider. I know, also a convicted person, but so many of those around Trump are!
I think there is sufficient evidence to say what normally happened within the business, and what happened in this case. There is also a lot of evidence about the reason about why it happened-the intent. Hope Hicks was devastating on the stand, and I'm not talking about her tears falling down her face as her hair fell over it, like lots of media.
I've been fascinated by lots of little factoids that are not really important in this trial, but help to paint a picture. Pecker's testimony that Trump had stiffed him on an earlier payment, which is why Cohen got involved. The payments from Trump to the media to apparently report on false polling results. (The irony!) That Trump was hoping to defer payments to SD until after the election, and then not pay. This sort of information might not matter in this case, to this jury, but I think they still matter.

But wasn’t the former president now defendant just in the halls of this courthouse this week professing how great his lawyers are? And what a great job they were doing for him? MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kch52285
Back