NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Kipenzi.
I read about that yesterday, Jax. It's so sad. I remember a giraffe a few years ago dying at the Cincinnati Zoo after it got an ossicone caught in some netting. That was heartbreaking, too.

I think those incidents are rare. I remember (decades ago) going to the Cincinnati Zoo shortly after a baby giraffe named Hugo was born. I think he was given to another zoo a few years afterwards but I've always thought about Hugo because giraffes are one of my favorite animals. I couldn't find anything about Hugo now, except a painting entitled Hugo the Giraffe which was uploaded in January. :)

The life expectancy for a giraffe in captivity is around 28 years, but some have lived longer. A giraffe named Rosie was euthanized at the San Antonio Zoo in 1995 at the age of 40! Several have lived to be over 30. So, the outlook for April and Oliver's calf is still good.

where is brian fantana when you need him! lol <3

It was a few years ago when several of us were watching Autumn at the Greenville, SC Zoo, on the Webcam. She gave birth I believe to a stillborn calf., it was weird because you saw her have the calf then they turned the cameras off of her. It was several hours before people knew what happened. It was very very sad. :(

That could be another reason why people are not following. imo

Reactions: JDG
I think it's almost time! I noticed Oliver is pacing in his pen. First-time fathers are always nervous. :)

I think it's almost time! I noticed Oliver is pacing in his pen. First-time fathers are always nervous. :)

I've thought it was almost time for several days now LOL but her behavior is definitely changing. Her belly is HUGE. She's taking a load off right now and I hope she can get some rest. My daughter was overdue (don't know if April is actually overdue) and those last couple of weeks were miserable! My heart goes out to her. I'm not getting impatient about this like others who are watching...you can't rush these things. As long as she has a safe delivery and the calf is healthy, I'm good!

ETA: She's up and at 'em again. Poor girl, I think she's having a hard time getting comfy.

In other baby giraffe news:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/01/denver-zoo-baby-giraffe-dobby-born/

The Denver Zoo&#8217;s baby giraffe was born to mother Kipele (pronounced kih-PAY-lay) at 3 a.m. Feb. 28, measuring 5-feet-tall and weighing 73 pounds &#8212; both on the smaller side for the world&#8217;s tallest land mammal, according to zoo officials.

denverzoo-org-baby_giraffe-dobby_02-1.jpg

That little face is cuteness overload!

I saw a video of this like three nights ago (not sure which one it was) but I was a very nervous daddy!!

Thank god it had a narrator , if he did not warn me it would have wigged me out when it fell to the ground!!! Thinking it got hurt!!

Was actually amazing!!

Do they sleep standing??

Vet in with her right now.

ETA or it was just someone feeding her snack. Then they wet to the corner by the door and I couldn't really see if there was a vet there or not. Nothing alarming or exciting going on anyway. lol

(Oh my goodness. I apologize for all the typos in my previous post. Glad I found them way after the editing period ran out. So sorry!)

My internet is really slow and glitchy, won't play video... hope nothing's happening now, lol.

(Oh my goodness. I apologize for all the typos in my previous post. Glad I found them way after the editing period ran out. So sorry!)

My internet is really slow and glitchy, won't play video... hope nothing's happening now, lol.

April's keeper (Alyssa?) was just in with her, also a photographer taking pics. Our rockstar seems quite content at the moment, making faces at the camera. I don't think you're missing anything atm, but tell your internet to shape up! :)

Yall I've kept this streaming on my tv 24/7 for days now. What shall the devoted do when she backs up into a corner, and their view is completely obscured for the entire birth ? Lol
Also, if giraffe's menstrual cycles are every 17 days, it's entirely possible that they're mistaken and we may be here for an extra 17 or 34 days (they admitted as much in FB video). I think everyone is devoted; we're in it for the long haul now, be it 17, 34 or 51 days. I think she's close and I'm always bad about pointing out worst case scenarios, it came with my previous line of work sorry. I'm just excited!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yall I've kept this streaming on my tv 24/7 for days now. What shall the devoted do when she backs up into a corner, and their view is completely obscured for the entire birth ? Lol
Also, if giraffe's menstrual cycles are every 17 days, it's entirely possible that they're mistaken and we may be here for an extra 17 or 34 days (they admitted as much in FB video). I think everyone is devoted; we're in it for the long haul now, be it 17, 34 or 51 days. I think she's close and I'm always bad about pointing out worst case scenarios, it came with my previous line of work sorry. I'm just excited!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Same here, I'm going to see it through! It seems they've made a (considerable) miscalculation in her due date. That's ok, I'm just positively giddy about this! I will breathe a major sigh of relief when it's over and all are well, but...then what???? :scared:

April's keeper (Alyssa?) was just in with her, also a photographer taking pics. Our rockstar seems quite content at the moment, making faces at the camera. I don't think you're missing anything atm, but tell your internet to shape up! :)

:tyou:

I addressed my router sternly. If it's not better in the morning.... :slapfight::panic:

:tyou:

I addressed my router sternly. If it's not better in the morning.... :slapfight::panic:

How do I thank thee, JanetElaine? My sinuses are clear, and my keyboard and monitor got a good cleaning after the Diet Pepsi spew. That visual cracked me up! :laughcry:

I did the same thing when my internet was out last Sunday-Tuesday. Thankfully I am now the proud owner of a modem that was built after the 1990's, and my whole house got fresh cables. All in time to tune back in to April the Giraffe! Best of luck with yours, and thanks for the giggle!

In other baby giraffe news again, little Dobby in Colorado is having a rough time.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/03/02/baby-giraffe-dobby-gets-extra-tlc/

Bloodwork on Wednesday showed Dobby wasn&#8217;t able to receive enough infection-fighting proteins from his mother in his first day of nursing.
Thursday morning, staff gave Dobby a transfusion of plasma to restore his antibody levels to normal.

img_4747.jpg

Sweet baby. Thanks to all the giraffes who gave blood donations...I'd never even thought of such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox