NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other baby giraffe news again, little Dobby in Colorado is having a rough time.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/03/02/baby-giraffe-dobby-gets-extra-tlc/

Bloodwork on Wednesday showed Dobby wasn’t able to receive enough infection-fighting proteins from his mother in his first day of nursing.
Thursday morning, staff gave Dobby a transfusion of plasma to restore his antibody levels to normal.

img_4747.jpg

Sweet baby. Thanks to all the giraffes who gave blood donations...I'd never even thought of such a thing.
I hope Dobby is doing better now. He has the sweetest smile. Even in the above picture of him receiving a transfusion, Dobby looks like he's trying to smile ... appears to be thinking, "the hug makes it all worthwhile."

I hope Dobby is doing better now. He has the sweetest smile. Even in the above picture of him receiving a transfusion, Dobby looks like he's trying to smile ... appears to be thinking, "the hug makes it all worthwhile."

His smile is just something else, even my very "dudely" husband melted over it. In fact, he's the one who sent me that article, totally distraught. From the update on the Denver Zoo's FB page it sounds like Dobby has had a better day. I wish I could just reach through my screen and hug the wee fellow.

Thank you for starting this thread, Indy! I have a newfound love for and appreciation of giraffes.

Reactions: JDG
Funny funny funny

Directly under a live stream of the giraffe (have no idea who I am watching anymore !!) was a story about Beyonce being pregnant. Not all that sure about she would feel about it (smile)

Cracked me up!

What are the odds of having two babies confusing the situation!!

You Tube ought to be ashamed of themselves - stupidest thing I have heard this week along with the Oakland fire defense attorney saying the fire could not have started in GS shame on them too moo

Funny funny funny

Directly under a live stream of the giraffe (have no idea who I am watching anymore !!) was a story about Beyonce being pregnant. Not all that sure about she would feel about it (smile)

Cracked me up!

What are the odds of having two babies confusing the situation!!

You Tube ought to be ashamed of themselves - stupidest thing I have heard this week along with the Oakland fire defense attorney saying the fire could not have started in GS shame on them too moo
Here is the link to the video cam of April at the Animal Adventure Park.
https://youtu.be/ZuYR4cTNbB0

There are a lot of fake video cams of giraffes on Youtube to confuse everything.

In other baby giraffe news again, little Dobby in Colorado is having a rough time.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/03/02/baby-giraffe-dobby-gets-extra-tlc/

Bloodwork on Wednesday showed Dobby wasn’t able to receive enough infection-fighting proteins from his mother in his first day of nursing.
Thursday morning, staff gave Dobby a transfusion of plasma to restore his antibody levels to normal.

img_4747.jpg

Sweet baby. Thanks to all the giraffes who gave blood donations...I'd never even thought of such a thing.

I was at my vet hospital a few weeks ago. It's a huge facility. They take care of all the retired greyhounds that are brought from the race track as rescues. Many of them come with broken legs. This particular day I was there with my daughter and her fur baby. In walks two greyhounds and they were immediately taken back to a room. When they came out the tech was telling them "You saved a life today!" They had donated blood for another very sick greyhound. Very sweet. Prayers for little Dobby. You can do this Dobby! Hand in there!

How do I thank thee, JanetElaine? My sinuses are clear, and my keyboard and monitor got a good cleaning after the Diet Pepsi spew. That visual cracked me up! :laughcry:

I did the same thing when my internet was out last Sunday-Tuesday. Thankfully I am now the proud owner of a modem that was built after the 1990's, and my whole house got fresh cables. All in time to tune back in to April the Giraffe! Best of luck with yours, and thanks for the giggle!

You are very welcome. :loveyou:

I must have scared my internet into compliance because I can see April again! Now we wait (again). :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Still Waiting April.jpg
    Still Waiting April.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 275
The giraffe appears to be having contractions since at least 5:16 pm EST. Her whole middle section is moving.

I don't know if anyone else was watching at 5:16 pm but she was standing fully upright beside her mate - her whole body jolted and her front knees slightly buckled. It happened a second time about 15 seconds later.

About a minute after that her middle section seemed to bunch up and release - it looked like a contraction. Then it happened again. Nothing since though.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e-watch-giraffe-before-has-its-baby/98635994/

Q. So what labor signs am I looking for here, exactly? I’ve been watching this giraffe stream for hours, at great cost to personal relationships and workplace productivity.

First, it takes a trained eye: Giraffes keep their pregnancies low profile, instinctively hiding signs of labor from predators who might harm their newborns. Thankfully, experts know what to look for.

Here are the biggest indicators that the good stuff is about to begin:

Water breaking: Look for discharge, which can be “anywhere from a slow trickle to a flow of mucus,” NBC 12 News reported.

Contractions: Stomach movement should come from the calf jostling inside, and the mother will straighten her neck and show movement in her hips, according to the station.

Visible hooves: This is the big sign in giraffe labor, as Kunter of the Denver Zoo told CBS 4. The calf should come out with its front feet and nose first. If it comes out backwards (back feet first), that’s a bad sign, she said.

Q. How long will the labor last?

Not long: Once the hooves show, Kunter said the baby should fully emerge within two hours. It could take as little as 30 minutes, according to Animal Adventure Park, the Harpursville, N.Y. zoo overseeing the birth.

Poor Maman!
I feel for her...such churning and action! I hope as an experienced mother it will be swift and relatively pain-free.

Noticing a lot of quivering in her upper front legs - right where the legs meet her torso. The muscles are moving straight up and down for a few seconds at a time.

Didn't expect to see that.

[FONT=&quot]WHAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT APRIL THE GIRAFFE:
SHE CAN TAKE 4 STEPS TO GET FROM ONE SIDE OF HER PEN TO THE OTHER.
SHE LICKS WOOD.
SHE LIKES TO FLIP FOOD ONTO HER BACK.
SHE SCRATCHES HER ITCHES ON THE FAR WALL.
SHE POKES HER SHOULDER WITH HER NOSE…USUALLY TWICE.
SHE SQUATS TO PEE AND POOP.
SHE LIFTS ONE LEG OFF THE GROUND WHEN HER NOSE TOUCHES THE FLOOR.
GETTING INTO A LIE DOWN POSITION LOOKS TOUGH ON THE KNEES.
SHE EATS ALL DAY LONG.
SHE TALKS GIRAFFE TRASH AS SHE PASSES HER MATE.
AND MY FINAL OBSERVATION….
SHE'S PREGNANT.
YOU'RE WELCOME.

[/FONT]Someone emailed this to me and at the time, I thought "Yes! Yes! I've noticed all these things too!" I failed to see the humor in it.

Now, 5 DAYS later, I'm bleary-eyed and approaching delirium and...giraffe trash? :hilarious:

Many thanks to the author, this may be all over the internet and I wouldn't know...I'm not sure what's going on in the world aside from the giraffe cam. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea