NY NY - Ian Burnet, 22, New York City, 26 Dec 2011

Idk if this means anything or if it has anything to do with where Ian disappeared to, but I did find it interesting. I found a page on wiki where Ian has contributed information to specific pages contained in Wiki. It seems he was very interested in human rights and certain historical places; including communal religious organizations. There is not a lot of pages he's edited to say anything for certain, but he has posted on subjects such as Shaker communal living, freedom of wearing jewish religious apparel in the military and about a 2 historical Virginia high schools that became desegregated in the mid 50's.

Ian seems to be a man who was looking for freedom and equality, has interesting political and religious beliefs and he has a lot more depth than just a college kid looking to get high in NYC.

I'm posting the link so people can look for themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ian_Burnet

i live a block away from where he was staying. i wonder if i ever walked by him. there are still flyers up everywhere.
i dont know what to think, its a pretty safe neighborhood. most people who jump off the gwb are eventually recovered, i think. i hope they find him. hope they find him.

Anyone heard any news on Ian? Unfortunately his case didn't stay in the news for long. :(

I have been periodically checking to see if there is anything new going on with this case, and so far, nothing. It seems the media has all but forgotten Ian. I hope his family persists and doesn't let up. Someone has to know something.

I want to know why those girls he was staying with are being uncooperative (according to Ian's brother Jamie).

I think about what I would do if someone I knew went missing. Even if I barely knew them & just perhaps had a class with them at school & even if my grasp of their language wasn't that great ... I think I'd be pounding the streets with his family. At the very least, I'd be in constant contact with them. Contrast their apparent (lack of) response to that of N.Y. reddit users who are complete strangers offering to comb Central Park & the subways for Ian.

So, what's with the uncooperative girls? Do they not understand how serious the situation is? Do they not care? Or is it something more sinister?

Maybe that's a red herring but it still annoys me to no end. Karma.

One thing I noticed in Jamie's initial reddit post is that halfway through he refers to Ian in the past tense. I don't suspect Jamie of a thing but it certainly makes me think about other cases that get analyzed to death when a 'suspect' makes the same slip. Oh and that reddit site is like stepping into another world ...

Ian's book-smart but perhaps not so street-smart. He's good-looking. He's young. He's in a city foreign to him. Could he have been naive enough to meet a stranger? Did he reach out to someone online? I think he could've been desperate enough, since he felt alienated and alone. I hope he didn't feel so lonely that he jumped off the GWB.

Just reading this thread and after reading and hearing that the girls who he stayed with are not talking I am wondering if maybe it was a drug overdose in the Apt. and they disposed of the body so they didn't get in trouble? I guess the leaving the phone at the apartment sticks out to me..especially it being a young person. Anyone could have used his Metro Card/Credit Card.

Just reading this thread and after reading and hearing that the girls who he stayed with are not talking I am wondering if maybe it was a drug overdose in the Apt. and they disposed of the body so they didn't get in trouble? I guess the leaving the phone at the apartment sticks out to me..especially it being a young person. Anyone could have used his Metro Card/Credit Card.

i see where youre coming from, but i live right next to where he went missing from, and there isnt anyplace to dump a body, unless hes in riverside park, in which case he would have been found (i think).
this kid went north on the #1, sad to say but if i had to guess he got off at 181st street & jumped off the GWB. its high time the port authority had cams covering the entire bridge, and higher railings on the bridge to prevent these tragedies. i hope im wrong, and JMO.
pb

Stumbled across this thread and wanted to bump it since the 1 year is coming up. I have a friendly acquaintance who is the cousin of Ian (not sure if its first cousin, but some kind of family tie... she aided in searching for him). I asked her a little while back (maybe September) if there was any news and she said not a single little thing. She did say that according to cops when people jump of the GWB their body almost always surfaces in the summer (if it didn't surface right away). And summer passed with no body. Maybe he is still out there?

i don't post a lot but i can't help but think of the story of the British guy (Richard something, tried googling but name fails me) who disappeared in New York and was buried as a UID despite NYPD working on the case. This story just seems so weird to have not been solved and i hope it isn't due to a miscommunication between agencies or colleagues.

What a sad Christmas/New Year Season this must be for those that love Ian!

:(

Bumping for Ian, this time of year must be so hard for the family.
My belief is suicide unfortunately.

Sounds to me like LE had reason to suspect suicide :(

Thank you for bumping this thread! I remember Ian's case very well, I read about it shortly after he went missing back then.

Seems like such a gifted, handsome young man. So sad they haven't been able to locate him so far.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back