Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

Perhaps one of them were recuperating from a cosmetic surgery? I know that some plastic surgeons include a hotel with medical assistance while recuperating.

That was my first thought, too. My second thought is that this was clearly planned and they didn't want to be found for a while. Otherwise, their phones would have been charged and on and Iona would have been using her ATM and credit cards. And the only problem that I would have with that is if resources that could have been used elsewhere were used to determine where they were. Otherwise, it's their right to check out for a while.

It is the mother's 'right' to check out for a while, and while there is no explicit criminality in 'checking out' her daughter too, we have no idea whether or not her daughter actually wanted to exercise that right herself. If there weren't so many other details surrounding this incidence, I wouldn't think so much about it. With those circumstances though, I am not convinced she did the right thing, regardless of whether or not there was truly some threat from someone else.

The takeaway? Tell someone you are going missing before you leave. Many headaches averted that way.

I am so glad Iona and Emily are together and healthy.
I don't have an opinion about Iona's decision to stay out of contact because I know a very small part of her story.
I do hope she is able to continue her life peacefully and without scrutiny. Adult stepchildren can be very difficult.

Wasn't Iona's mother someone who spoke to the press about concerns when her daughter did not return when she said she was going to?

She should be thankful the media picked up on this story! How many missing people cases have a hard time getting any media attention? Had the media not picked up this story would Iona's mother even know where she was?

You're right and I think a policeman mentioned another person missing from the town but gave no name
It's Michael O'Brien 55

Jumping in quick--------so glad they have been located------I agree an adult has a right to "check out " for a while but just tell one person, dont have to tell everyone. Maybe she feared people would want to join, meet for lunch etc????? Can totally see that happening with family members

Iona is still in hiding because she’s afraid her ex-con stepson, George Costello Jr., will come after her. She won’t return to her Southold farm out of fear of George, who along with his siblings is fighting her for their late father’s fortune. “She said, ‘I’m not looking over my shoulder all the time.’

George Costello Jr. did time for felony fraud in 2013 and is now in jail in Florida for contempt of court after a fight with his fiancée. Iona, who has a restraining order against him, knows it’s only a matter of time before he gets out. “He has threatened [Iona],” the close relative said. “I’ve known all along he’s been threatening her.”

“Emily wants to come back for school,” the relative said. For now, the teen is doing her homework from their hotel room on her laptop. Meanwhile, “They’re not just sitting in the hotel room,” the relative said. “There’s a lot going on. They’re going to art galleries, doing things. She has to keep her daughter interested.”

Iona’s phone is turned off, and she hasn’t told anyone how to reach her, the relative said. To stay in touch with her family, she phones at least one relative on a daily basis. “I’m trying to persuade them both to come back, but I don’t know if she’s going to,” the relative said. “Not until she feels safe.”

It turns out George Jr. had gotten out of prison and returned to the Long Island area. “She thought the police would tell her when he got out of jail, but they didn’t,” the relative said. “That’s why she went to New York.”

http://nypost.com/2015/04/24/mom-daughter-arent-missing-theyre-hiding-from-ex-con-in-law/

Holy mackerel! George jr sounds like a tool. What a horrible way for Iona and Emily to live. There must be very valid threats. I hope Jr. finds himself incarcerated for a long while for something so Iona and Emily can pick up where they left off.
Hotel life in NYC is costly! Personally I might look into a body guard so I could be at home. This is the armchair opinion of someone who doesn't have a clue what is really going on.

Yes. Now it makes more sense.
I, still, think she could have confided in her mom and not set the NYPD and SCPD on a goose chase.

In my opinion, there is exactly zero excuse for one person to intimidate and screw with another persons life. For goodness sake live and let live.
I know it shouldn't matter, but is George Sr. "fortune" significant or are his adult children contesting the will on principal?
Adult step children can be difficult. I hope the fall out for Jr. is dire, his reported behavior calls for this.
Who the hell does he think he is to mess with his fathers choices?

I wonder if there is a crazy cool attorney who could sue Jr.for the expenses incurred because of his behavior?
Iona and Emily have taken a big hit just to feel safe.

The allegation of being threatened by her SIL could be valid, or not. This reason was shared after she was tracked down after mysteriously going missing. (Although I assume you need a valid reason to get a restraining order, if that part is true.)

Who knows the backstory though. The kids (apparently) allege that Sr's will was improperly executed, and the court held for the kids. Whether that's a technical glitch in the way the will was documented, or a substantive alteration of his will by the stepmother, we don't know.

If my stepmother screwed with my father's will (or if I just thought she did), I'd be angry and hurt. I'm not saying Iona did that, and it's not an excuse to threaten physical harm. But we don't know what has transpired within that family or what's true and what's not.

Regardless, hiding without telling anyone you're ok seems like a juvenile way to handle the issue. One could hide by saying "we're leaving and not telling anyone where we'll be." This whole thing is weird, IMO.

I've become so interested in the side story to the disappearance - which is the Will. It seemed so clear at first that she had tried to fraudulently execute a Will in her late husband's name, leaving all the assets to herself and her daughter, but now that's not so clear. And sometimes courts can be so one-sided and the truth may not come out -

I'm very curious, at this point, the details of the Will and whether Iona was in possession of a valid Will.

I would still like to know what she and John Costello said before she drove into Manhattan. He was the one who said, "oh, maybe they are in Cuba ... or Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica or Europe?"

I would still like to know what she and John Costello said before she drove into Manhattan. He was the one who said, "oh, maybe they are in Cuba ... or Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica or Europe?"

From what I understand, he is part owner of the family business (Costello Marine).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back