Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

YES to all of this. . Sorry for being harsh, but I call BS on this mother. Article said they "had no idea" anyone would be looking for them. Really? You said you'd be back to your farm to take care of the animals and never show up. You say your going to NYC for 'a few shows' and never return. You take your daughter out of a school that would certainly expect details if she would be out more than the planned break and fail to mention it AT ALL. So what DO you think everyone is doing.

Totally agree the grandmother knew. She is also quoted as defending her daughter saying "she"ll take the kid back to school when she's ready" OK. First, 'the kid'? Ouch. Second, fine, but again, you should inform the school. I'm sure they would be interested to know 'she just wasn't good and ready' to take her back.

IMO she cracked, or she's playing games, neither of which bodes well for the daughter. THAT is who I feel for and worry about here. Father is dead, half-siblings hold great animosity towards her, mother spirits her away to hole up in Manhattan with questionable methods, stability in school and home very uncertain with $$ situation. And to top it all off, she seems real close to 'the old lady'. No wonder she looks sad in all of her photos. I really, really hope she will be ok from this all, physically and mentally.

ITA agree with all this and am so glad people are thinking along the same lines, I was worried if I said something it would be perceived as 'victim bashing' (even though seemingly there was nothing to be a victim to!).

So I've been thinking about it more, surely even if they had let their phones run out of battery after a while they would have seen and received texts or calls from family members and friends saying "where are you, what is going on, you're on the news etc"? Did the mother then purposefully ignore those texts despite knowing the frenzy they were causing?

I'd also imagine a 14 year old would have to be instructed (and probably forced knowing myself at 14!) to turn off and keep off the phone for that amount of time! Teenagers don't casually decide to fall off the grid with their mothers when legal matters get "a bit crazy", KWIM?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southfishy,

I agree with everything you said. But I DO hope this woman receives help. Lord only knows, she needs it. I REALLY feel sorry for this young girl. She's just a kid and needs stability in her life, i.e., her friends, school, teachers, etc. How in the world this Mom didn't 'know' 'they'd be looking for her, is beyond me. OF COURSE she knew they'd be looking for her. That statement's utter nonsense. I just hope someone in this family takes the bull by the horn and makes sure this woman receives the help she needs. I can't imagine what this young girl must have been thinking the entire time she was holed up with her Mom.

southfishy,

I agree with everything you said. But I DO hope this woman receives help. Lord only knows, she needs it. I REALLY feel sorry for this young girl. She's just a kid and needs stability in her life, i.e., her friends, school, teachers, etc. How in the world this Mom didn't 'know' 'they'd be looking for her, is beyond me. OF COURSE she knew they'd be looking for her. That statement's utter nonsense. I just hope someone in this family takes the bull by the horn and makes sure this woman receives the help she needs. I can't imagine what this young girl must have been thinking the entire time she was holed up with her Mom.

I know people would think "but they were just spending fun quality time together!" When in actuality the reality could've been a lot scarier for poor Emiily... Maybe the comments of her potentially having a breakdown weren't all that unfounded after all.. Makes you wonder if the mother has a history of just upping and taking off without telling anyone or impulsive erratic behaviours?

14 year old had no choice......now, she gets to live with the selfish decision her mother made. Sounds like too much money for mom and too much "I" and "me"....

Maybe the daughter was having a breakdown and the mom just wanted her away from the ruckus.

I would have still made contact with someone and in no way condone what the mom did...but I can see this.

Costello — who’s embroiled in a bitter family feud over her late husband’s estate — took off because she was the target of unspecified threats, according to her mom.

“She has been threatened. That’s what sent her away,” Diana Malcolmson told The Post.

Malcolmson said Costello and Emily were staying in the Big Apple while “that situation is being taken care of.”

“It’s up to her when she feels happy to come back. She can’t give me a day at this point,” she said.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/20/missing-widow-daughter-found-in-good-health/

“I know she was spotted,” Chief Flatley said of Ms. Costello. “I believe that they were not ‘hiding’ in the hotel and were in and out of same.”

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...r-located-35-blocks-from-where-car-was-found/

"It appears that they traveled to NYC and stayed there and certainly have the right to do so," Flatley said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-mis...r-daughter-stayed-manhattan/story?id=30443248

The good thing is that now that the story is out, she is probably safe now. If anyone planned to harm her or threaten her, they probably won't do so now as eyes are on them.

JMO.

So if she's being threatened why hasn't she gone to the police about it instead of hiding out? Was the threat of physical harm or maybe a threat to intervene and take Emily away perhaps? JMO

All the details will be aired on a Dr. Phil show near you.......................................

They might not have wanted other family members to know the house would be empty for so long

I am very interested in whether anything "interesting" occurred after they were reported missing.
Did any family members assume they wouldn't be returning and take things that weren't theirs?

Just glad they're ok!

That was my first thought, too. My second thought is that this was clearly planned and they didn't want to be found for a while. Otherwise, their phones would have been charged and on and Iona would have been using her ATM and credit cards. And the only problem that I would have with that is if resources that could have been used elsewhere were used to determine where they were. Otherwise, it's their right to check out for a while.

The NYLO Hotel amenities include "Medical Assistance Available". Maybe Iona and/or Emily were undergoing therapy of some sort.

http://www.cheaphotels.com/hotel/15...XswSniluFE22DmNNl6Szp9PFe3CGP63JJjxoCadjw_wcB

I wouldn't think this statement means " psychotherapy in your suite".
For instance, I was staying at the New Orleans Roosevelt Hotel ( The Fairmont, which is a Waldorf Astoria property and very lavish with its amenities) and I did have a medical emergency.
It was not something I assessed as needing 911 for, but I did call and ask for specific medical supplies from the concierge. A " medic" of sorts came to my suite with a medical first aid kit. It contained the basics, which I could make do with until I could reach a drug store.

I sincerely think a first aid kit and someone who knows basic first aid and perhaps CPR is what the NY hotel is referencing-- the same sort of thing I asked for and received in NOLA.
NYC hotels exaggerate a great deal of their amenities, IMO, from my experiences with stays there.

I'm so glad they were found safe. However, my hinky meter is still dinging. Unless they completely avoided all media, there's no way IC did not know anyone was looking for her and her daughter. How long were they staying at the hotel? They must have holed up in their room to go unnoticed for so long. I hope they both get the help it sounds like they need. This is all, of course cow's opinion...it's MOO.

The good thing is that now that the story is out, she is probably safe now. If anyone planned to harm her or threaten her, they probably won't do so now as eyes are on them.

JMO.
After reading about the dispute over the will with some shady family members, their cell phones and credit cards not in use, EC missing school, no apparent communication with anyone, etc., I felt certain they fell victim to some awful crime. After finding out they are safe, my initial thought was that they had been hiding out because they felt threatened by someone. Maybe IC went to LE but didn't feel she was taken seriously enough, or maybe she filed a restraining order and we all know how well those work ... so IC may have wanted to ensure EC's safety while not wanting to frighten her -- so, what better way to stay under the radar than to go on a trip and do fun things. If LE didn't take the threat seriously enough or there simply wasn't enough evidence at this point to act upon it, the mysterious disappearance may have also been IC's strategy to constrain LE to investigate those who were threatening her and EC before they could do harm.

Knowing the situation surrounding the contested will and some of the shady characters involved, I don't want to judge IC for what she did. She may have only wanted to protect her daughter without traumatizing her. I think there's a lot we don't know about this and probably never will. I just hope you are right and that whoever threatened IC will be less likely to try anything now. MOO

I'm awfully worried that if Iona doesn't get some help that we might hear from them again, not in a good way. Glad to hear that nothing happened to the pair though.

The court documents I read said that the will (the last) Mrs. Costello was bringing before the court was found to be invalid and the case was summarily dismissed. The step kids were not contesting his legal will but the invalid will. I think she may have to change her lifestyle and might not be happy about the change. I thought I had downloaded the short opinion but I am still looking for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back