Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

Stress can do crazy things to a person. I'm so glad Iona and her daughter have been found safe and I hope the experience wasn't too traumatic for Emily. In my hopeful mind, I see them as having seen every show on Broadway and off, eaten in every fabulous restaurant from uptown to down, and visited each fantastic museum throughout the boroughs. A few weeks in NYC can be more of an education than being in school for a few months!

I hope the reality of their stay remains private and things at home can get straightened out.

Great! They were off having fun and answering to no one. :loveyou: I hope next time they take a trip they check in with grandma occasionally, to avoid the nation getting into their business - and so we don't see their names in here again. I also wish them luck with that awful family they have to deal with, again so we don't see their names in here again. Closing the door now.

Always great to get a happy ending. Glad they're both safe.

Weird that no hotel staff recognized them or their names???

Always great to get a happy ending. Glad they're both safe.

Weird that no hotel staff recognized them or their names???

Over the weekend when the news outlets started picking up the story is when hotel staff noticed them.

frankly, I'm a tad frightened for ec's wellbeing and Iona's mental health -regarding how it may affect ec. I was thinking this case would turn out to be murder suicide.

red flag for me was no cell phone usage. odd.

frankly, I'm a tad frightened for ec's wellbeing and Iona's mental health -regarding how it may effect ec. I was thinking this case would turn out to be murder suicide.

red flag for me was no cell phone usage. odd.

I agree. This is not a "oh thank goodness it was all a misunderstanding". She took the child out of school and they've basically been hiding in New York. I wonder if the daughter needs to live with other stable family members for awhile while her mother works through this.

At the very least, the mother knew her beloved family members were worried out of their minds.

I agree. This is not a "oh thank goodness it was all a misunderstanding". She took the child out of school and they've basically been hiding in New York. I wonder if the daughter needs to live with other stable family members for awhile while her mother works through this.

At the very least, the mother knew her beloved family members were worried out of their minds.

I'm glad the mother and daughter are safe and sound.

But besides them worrying their family members, I hate these situations because they can make investigators less likely to take a dangerous disappearance situation seriously from the start.

I completely agree. This isn't a "whoops how silly we were being!" Type scenario, this is actually worrying.

If everything was all puppies and rainbows, why not inform the school of absences? Why not use their phones or answer anyone back? Worrying IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now my "hinky meter" is going off! Why would Iona pull her child out of an expensive private school, disappear for weeks after telling her farm staff she would be back on Tuesday, and not tell her elderly mother, who lives close by, where she is going for what amount of time? Why no cell phone or social media usage by either her or her daughter?

Rational people don't do things like this. People go through traumas in life on a regular basis and do not behave like this!

There is so much more to this story and I fear for both this woman and her daughter as something is not "right" in any of these actions. I hope Iona gets the help she needs and her daughter is watched over.

They might not have wanted other family members to know the house would be empty for so long

When you turn your phones off for so long and don't use credit cards, don't return as stated, etc., you are purposely creating a mystery. Who knows why, but I'm so glad they are alive. I hope everything works out for the best for everyone involved.

And I bet Iona's mother knew they were ok. Her comments were as though she was shunning the publicity about their being missing. She didn't seem to be pleading for anyone to find them, AFAICT.

Oh wow - why would the mother have not gotten in contact or the 14 year old not use her phone ?! So many questions, but glad they're safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's irresponsible and immature to "disappear" from family, school, etc. But the only thing that would "alarm" me is if she made no provisions for her pets/animals.

Stop the world.......we want to get off !!...........................

When you turn your phones off for so long and don't use credit cards, don't return as stated, etc., you are purposely creating a mystery. Who knows why, but I'm so glad they are alive. I hope everything works out for the best for everyone involved.

And I bet Iona's mother knew they were ok. Her comments were as though she was shunning the publicity about their being missing. She didn't seem to be pleading for anyone to find them, AFAICT.

YES to all of this. . Sorry for being harsh, but I call BS on this mother. Article said they "had no idea" anyone would be looking for them. Really? You said you'd be back to your farm to take care of the animals and never show up. You say your going to NYC for 'a few shows' and never return. You take your daughter out of a school that would certainly expect details if she would be out more than the planned break and fail to mention it AT ALL. So what DO you think everyone is doing.

Totally agree the grandmother knew. She is also quoted as defending her daughter saying "she"ll take the kid back to school when she's ready" OK. First, 'the kid'? Ouch. Second, fine, but again, you should inform the school. I'm sure they would be interested to know 'she just wasn't good and ready' to take her back.

IMO she cracked, or she's playing games, neither of which bodes well for the daughter. THAT is who I feel for and worry about here. Father is dead, half-siblings hold great animosity towards her, mother spirits her away to hole up in Manhattan with questionable methods, stability in school and home very uncertain with $$ situation. And to top it all off, she seems real close to 'the old lady'. No wonder she looks sad in all of her photos. I really, really hope she will be ok from this all, physically and mentally.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back