NY NY - Jonathan Schaff, 23, Granville, 18 Jan 2014

My husband works for Loomis Trucking...that is why I know were the truck was parked. The truck the cell phone was found in, was a truck that Jonathan had rode in with a friend, a former employee of Loomis.

Rode in before he went to the bar? And forgot his phone? Or how?

Rode in before he went to the bar? And forgot his phone? Or how?

No this is a rig that is no longer in use, hasn't been for a while. It just would have been a familiar place to get out of the cold. If he was in the truck with his cell phone he might have dropped it in there. IMO

When he left the bar, he was walking to Loomis's with that couple. He was familiar with the lot because his friend use to work there and Jonathan hung out with him there also rode with him. My thoughts are he may have had second thoughts, about riding with that couple and went to the truck. ????

Just found out the family hired a psychic..I don't know who. Only info I got was the psychic said he is in a wooden shed????

Where is this guy? I keep expecting to see some news, but there's nothing.

River search for missing man uses video gear
Published 4:55 pm, Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Vermont State Police scuba team searched the Mettawee River Thursday with specialized video equipment looking for clues to the whereabouts of a man last seen almost two weeks ago.

The team was unable to enter the river to look for Jonathan Schaff because of the thick ice and shallow water. But the video search supplemented work by police dogs in an area where Schaff's cellphone was found earlier.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/River-search-for-missing-man-uses-video-gear-5190324.php

Family members have set up a Facebook page in hopes of getting information and support they hope will help their search for Jonathan Schaff, who disappeared after leaving a village bar two weeks ago.

Vermont State Police Capt. Donald Patch has said Schaff was close to his family and friends and would not go for an extended period of time without contacting anyone, especially with his passing birthday.

Last week Vermont State Police and Granville village police used video gear to search a section of the river.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Missing-man-s-family-asks-for-support-5202827.php

Vt search Helicopter and investigators at Loomis's today.

Vt search Helicopter and investigators at Loomis's today.

I wonder why the helicopter this many days later? With all of the snow we have been getting its going to be impossible to see anything from the air...?

Axiom - Any updates? TIA

I wonder why the helicopter this many days later? With all of the snow we have been getting its going to be impossible to see anything from the air...?

Axiom - Any updates? TIA

They have been having helicopters on and off. I guess they wanted to get another look before the snow storm hit...I do know they are re-questioning people.

Fighting weather, police still looking for missing man

The New York State Police major crimes unit has joined the investigation into the disappearance of a Vermont man last seen more than four weeks ago after he left a Granville bar.

Police have been working to have those who last saw Jonathan Schaff in the hours before he disappeared take polygraph tests to determine whether the versions of events they have relayed to police were accurate.

As its name suggests, the major crimes unit typically investigates homicides and other serious crimes.

[snip]

Vermont State Police is the lead agency, because Schaff was last seen in Vermont, and Vermont troopers have investigated under the theory that Schaff fell in the Mettawee River, just feet from the truck where his cellphone was found.

http://poststar.com/news/local/figh...cle_884f0c42-98e8-11e3-b8bd-0019bb2963f4.html

UPDATED -- Renewed ground search for missing Vermont man comes up empty

http://poststar.com/news/local/upda...cle_3b98b4da-9eeb-11e3-87dd-0019bb2963f4.html

He was walking to the parking lot to get a ride with a Vermont couple he had met that night, but the couple told police he was walking ahead of them and when they got to the lot, he could not be found.

Sniped from article

I still don't understand why he would be walking ahead of them far enough to have disappeared, if he wanted a ride from them especially when he didn't really even know them.

... I still don't understand why he would be walking ahead of them far enough to have disappeared, if he wanted a ride from them especially when he didn't really even know them.

Supposedly, the two he was walking with stopped to smoke and he kept walking ahead (can't blame him for wanting to keep moving on a cold winter night) ... here are a couple quotes that were posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.news10.com/story/24496497/granville-police-searching-for-missing-man
He was last seen walking toward the state line with a couple who had parked their car on Route 149. The couple told police that Schaff walked on after they stopped to smoke, and then disappeared in a dip in the road.

Although the PostStar quote says his 'two friends' I gather from other news articles & posts here that he didn't know them.

http://poststar.com/news/local/police-in-granville-western-vermont-seek-missing-man/article_0084737a-81c2-11e3-b408-001a4bcf887a.html
Police said Schaff and two friends had parked a car at Loomis Trucking, near the state line, and walked a half-mile or so to the Granville bar.

As they were later returning to the car, two of the group stopped for a cigarette break along the road and Schaff continued walking, Granville Police Chief Ernie Bassett said.

It appears they were over the Vermont line when they stopped.

“There’s a dip in the road and they lost sight of him. When they got to the car he was not there and they couldn’t find him,” Bassett said.

picture.php

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1928&pictureid=16994

Thought this might help ... you can see the state line running through the image (faint blue) - I'll post a close up of Loomis Trucking so you can see the river running behind it more clearly.

P.S. If you are using a smartphone, the image may not appear - also, I think you have to be logged in to see the image - not positive.

Can the state preceding this thread title be changed? Jonathan Schaff is a Vermont resident (who went missing near the VT/NY border near Granville NY) ... shouldn't it be VT instead of NY? Thank you!!

Why was anybody parking at Loomis Trucking and going to a bar (which clearly has parking) almost a mile away? On a very cold night? Makes no sense.

Why was anybody parking at Loomis Trucking and going to a bar (which clearly has parking) almost a mile away? On a very cold night? Makes no sense.

If I remember correctly (and it has been a few years since I've been in Granville so things may have changed) there is only on street parking in that area so they may have parked at Loomis because they knew it would be tight parking (or even after they attempted to park closer and couldn't find a spot).

There is also a bit of a local belief that Granville PD camps out on Main Street looking for DUI arrests as people come out of the bars. Personally my feeling is that if they are doing that kudos to them because they are actually taking care of the problem before needless lives are lost. I am very opposed to impaired driving which I, sadly, realize is a perspective that not all share. So, I could imagine that they may have parked at Loomis for that reason as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back