NY - Jordan Neely, killed by chokehold in subway during mental health crisis, Manhattan, 1 May 2023 *arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree, especially considering all that is actually known about how long (or short, as the case may be) it takes for pressure on the neck to incapacitate or kill; but it's a pretty lavish wild irresponsible guess, IMO; and did irreparable harm to what might be the real events of this story in the public perception, considering people are still forced to use it in some way, shape, or form as a benchmark, because he put it out there.

I agree with this. The 'fifteen minutes' statement is the proverbial shot across the bow. I can think of two other high profile cases in recent history here in the US, where statements have been made and the narrative takes off stirring up emotions... Only to be proven false and misleading later during recorded depositions and or testimony. But the damage is done, IMO.

Also, it's entirely possible (IMO), considering the scenario, that part of what was happening for 15 minutes (or 12, or 8 of them) straight; was in fact Mr. Neely screaming and cutting up at the other passengers, independent of any other action anyone took.
rsbm
Just to clarify, that is not possible. Neely got on the train at 2nd Ave and 2 minutes later it arrived at Broadway-Lafayette, so the screaming couldn't have been as long as you purport imo.

<snipped
For those who keep insisting Jordan Neely didn't act out any violence, or attack anyone, or make any direct threats to anyone, or behave in any kind of violent way... I wonder if you can take one guess at why those sitting around him that day on the train, stood up and moved away?
Since we’re guessing without the evidence, hypothetically and anecdotally, it’s usually smell that makes me move away. Especially if he already had fecal matter on him as has been suggested.
I doubt he’s the first loud mentally traumatized person most subway riders had encountered but it’s very likely the first one they’ve seen killed before their eyes.
After the attack began I would definitely move away.

Okay allow me to re-phrase.

If you were sitting there and JN started screaming about how he doesn't care if he goes to jail, that he'd take a bullet, and he'd kill all the MF'ers... and was looking right at you, or the person sitting next to you, as he yelled those things, then threw his jacket to the floor, (or vice versa) would you consider that violent even if he never physically touched anyone?
I will add what if your sister, daughter, mother, or grandmother were sitting there while JN looked at them and screamed those things?
A direct threat changes things but according to all media accounts I’ve read no one has stated anyone was singled out.
In fact, most media have made a point to make this clear so I don’t know how imagining if there was a direct threat is relevant to what actually happened.
We may as well ask, what if he was armed and threatened your child? But he was not armed, Perry was not protecting his family or anyone else in particular from a direct threat according to all accounts, and imagining things is not relevant to the facts of the case and directs blame onto the victim based on a “but what if?”.

Last edited:
I will add what if your sister, daughter, mother, or grandmother were sitting there while JN looked at them and screamed those things?

I am myself a grandmother and have two daughters (one is a psychiatric nurse whose life is filled with such people; the other is a teacher who, like me, has "stuff" go on nearly every day - her situation is less calm than mine). All of us have sat through and dealt with worse. De-escalation works, I see the police at work using it frequently.

I do think there's research to show that men's average physiological reaction to threat is quite different to that of women.

Maybe New York needs to spring for "bouncers" on each train car (there would be way more problematic incidents involving contact between passengers and the bouncers, for sure, if they do it that; although the bouncers would be trained in de-escalation and containment with least harm). City would have to admit liability if things went wrong (which is probably why it doesn't happen). But surely creating new jobs is good and it could be considered an entry level security position, even if all they had were some kind of reliable communication device to alert the next stop to send more help. It's sad that the US doesn't find it budget-friendly to do this kind of thing.

Some places tax new business, buildings and development for the funds to increase such services (along with fire and policing).

IMO.

The man who filmed the restraint stated Neely threw his jacket on the floor violently, and stood there and kept yelling.
I asked, why anyone thinks those folks stood up and moved away.
I haven't seen anyone answer why they think those passengers did that.

As for calling 911, that was done, at least 5 times according to all the links I've read & have been posted here.
BBM. It has been reported that not only were there at least 5 calls to 911, at least one call said JN had a weapon. It sounds like passengers were terrified.

JMO

At 2:27 pm two more calls were received - one telling of 'threats' being made on the train, and the other describing a rider 'armed with a knife or gun.' A call reporting an assault in progress was placed at 2:29pm, and at 2:30pm a second call reporting somebody making threats on the F train was made.

I have studied homeless mentally ill since around 1985.

My first job in the field involved trying to find veterans with schizophrenia among the mentally ill homeless in Downtown LA. The research director had a grant to study their genes and their brains. First thing he said was that people suffering from schizophrenia and related unclassified psychoses are among the most likely to be homeless, constituting at least 3% of the downtown population, housed or unhoused. All of our research put the incidence of schizophrenia among the homeless in DTLA at 3-5%. As a result of this type of research, we've built suburban housing with mental health units for homeless veterans in California. Where I live, I can see improvement in services (as one of these centers is about half a mile from me - it's beautiful, houses almost entirely mentally ill veterans, including those with dementia). We recently opened a great outpatient treatment center (right next to the police station). We still lack enough beds for everyone, but we recognize that some schizophrenics absolutely won't accept living indoors. There's a local park where LE has decided to manage rather than evict - that too is near my house. So I see many improvements locally but I also fear for the fate of our big cities - where it's not going so well.

Anyway, the reasons so many are homeless and in big cities are two fold.

First, their families either cannot or will not take care of them. As their parents age, the parents can't follow them around and mediate their encounters with the world. Second, big cities provide anonymity and some services unavailable in smaller towns (where a jail cell may be the only place to hold a ranting, floridly psychotic person). One or both parents may be schizophrenic or with some symptoms, as well.

One of the symptoms of schizophrenia (esp. the "negative" schizophrenics) is avoidance of humans and a desire to walk.

Walking schizophrenics are everywhere, but rarely in small towns. Most small towns have 1-2 of this type per 10,000 population, but big cities have way more. Some small towns/families give bus tickets to the big cities. But in general these schizophrenics find their own way into larger areas, where homelessness outpaces resources AND where there are soup kitchens, showers, shelters, meal vouchers, homeless outreach workers, thrift shops, help with getting any source of disability payment, etc, etc. For whatever reason, they walk and walk. I've tracked some people as they wander 20-30 miles in a day or two.

So they end up in big urban centers. For example, Santa Monica has a free clinic (and has had since I started this work) and rapidly became a mecca for homeless from all over the nation (and sometimes, the world). DTLA has similar services. This is the second factor (the pull factor of services, treatment and ways of feeding oneself).

So the push factor (families and small towns rejecting or guiding mentally ill people toward bigger centers) and the pull factor (ability to live unhoused but with access to certain services), result in way more mental illness in bigger places. My own town isn't that big, but we have a large green belt, with year round water. It's basically river beds (two of them) and the unhoused people live (and die) there. In these situations, schizophrenic people meet each other, form communities, form romantic attachments and reproduce.

Schizophrenia is a genetic disorder.

These problems are chronic, as many as 3-5% of any population will suffer from psychosis at some point in their lives or have chronic psychosis. It is higher in big cities, due to the factors above.

It is lower in small towns where, basically, many are driven out or sent away or ignore (by their own families in many cases and the families are often suffering from the exhaustion of compassion and coping - and have other children as well).

Our societal decision in the 80's and 90's to get rid of long term care facilities was a terrible decision.

The non-veteran mentally ill population does not have such services. Indeed, most are incapable of locating services and need to be guided to them over and over. It's in the nature of their illness that they will leave and walk and eat very little and drink whatever liquids they find, etc. They seem to have a hard time living indoors. We don't know for sure, because most of this type of schizophrenic can comprehend human language, but rarely speak it properly (and when they do, it may or may not be intelligible; some of them will write but are effectively mute). I've known several schizophrenics who were "impersonators." One was a family of schizophrenics (mom and dad both schizophrenic; 12 children, all schizophrenic; 4 were psychics; 3 were Elvis impersonators; the rest lived off of those efforts). They truly believed they were psychic and could read minds. They had a little sign in the yard of their ramshackle house (this was in New Mexico), stating palm reading and psychic services. They got occasional gigs as Elvis impersonators.

Neely may have had a belief at times that he actually *was* Michael Jackson (as these Elvis impersonators actually believed that they were Elvis). It's a common symptom of schizophrenia. It's an extraordinarily painful illness, as well. High rates of suicide (and I believe Neely's anger and shouting was part of an overall desire to die - the "I'll take a bullet!" is a classic wish (to die, but in a vague way that they can't operationalize unless someone like police take them down for truly threatening behavior - which is rare; or someone like Penny is involved; trained LE and mental health emergency teams use other methods, naturally). Mental pain is terrible pain, leads to dual diagnosis (drug addiction).

At any rate, such people are indeed scary to many. Where I live, LE is trained to recognize and deal with schizophrenics, I'm proud to say. It's been a big part of my life's work to help provide the training (which is all done internally in the Sheriff's division, nowadays - the goal was to train enough LEO's that they could find great and more experienced teachers with each new generation of officers - and so it has come to pass). But my city is smallish (200,000) and the feeder towns from where the schizophrenics come are mostly close by (a region with about 1 million who are connected by public transport, which the schizophrenic population does use). In my personal life, I have known schizophrenic physicians, engineers, college professors. A good friend (schizophrenic; mother was schizophrenic) was one of the psychiatrists who worked alongside me in the research projects. She ended up devoting her life to the schizophrenic populations of the Pacific Northwest, half of whom came from other parts of the country. She gave me a lot of insights into schizophrenia and was expert in helping medication-refusing patients. She traveled from rural clinic to clinic up until the time she died. Had hundreds of patients. We have a deficit of psychiatrists in the US. The older group is dying off and it is not a popular first choice for newly minted MD's.

New York *is* trying but as one of the world's largest cities, boy, it must seem almost hopeless. There are at least 5 schizophrenics that are from my region who are now in NY (I talk to their parents from time to time). No one knows exactly how they got there (and those are just the parents who *know* where their mentally ill children are; a good friend had a tragic event when his schizophrenic son moved away while in remission; long story, but he ended up being killed by police in Sacramento).

I'm just riffing off your mention of the Big City problem. It is a huge problem. And since not everyone lives in a big city, not everyone cares or wants to divert tax dollars from, say, the federal budget to this problem. I'm not sure it's getting worse, it's been a problem for a long time, but it's possible that population growth in the mega-cities has brought the entire system to where we are now. Which is not a good place.

No one can handle schizophrenia merely by urging "personal responsibility" to the sufferer. It's a disease and it's global. Its causes are known, there are treatments, but it is a painful, difficult illness to treat, everywhere.

IMO.

Agree with most…

What bothers me is that the attitude to the homeless varies in different parts of the country. You can mention LA, me, Seattle or Boston, and NYC’s common mentality has changed a lot after 9-11.

But too often I meet people holding homeless responsible for own problems. People are probably unafraid to say what they do because such mentality is the prevailing norm for their communities. Homeless are treated differently in different places.

Least of all, do I want Mr. Penny to give his voice to these communities.

I understand only too well why you posted earlier that killing mentally ill is not the answer. I have another story to tell. In my home country, many soldiers came home after WWII missing limbs. These human stumps on the streets made cities look unattractive. One night, they disappeared, being sent out to several islands to die unseen.

Perhaps Mr. Penny, a former Marine, should be aware of this story.

rsbm
Just to clarify, that is not possible. Neely got on the train at 2nd Ave and 2 minutes later it arrived at Broadway-Lafayette, so the screaming couldn't have been as long as you purport imo.

And supposedly the chokehold started 30 seconds before arrival at that station from the 2nd street station where Neely embarked.

So, he could have been yelling for 1:30. It will be interesting to hear the various eyewitnesses, because in studies of eyewitness (in all kinds of situations and under lab conditions as well), people have a bell-shaped curve of responses, often with widely varying outliers. The Prosecution and Defense will likely have varying views to choose from. Truth is likely in the middle. IMO.

I understand only too well why you posted earlier that killing mentally ill is not the answer. I have another story to tell. In my home country, many soldiers came home after WWII missing limbs. These human stumps on the streets made cities look unattractive. One night, they disappeared, being sent out to several islands to die unseen.

bbm

How do you see this historical scenario fitting into these events?

Are you willing to tell us which country?

Agree with most…

What bothers me is that the attitude to the homeless varies in different parts of the country. You can mention LA, me, Seattle or Boston, and NYC’s common mentality has changed a lot after 9-11.

But too often I meet people holding homeless responsible for own problems. People are probably unafraid to say what they do because such mentality is the prevailing norm for their communities. Homeless are treated differently in different places.

Not for a minute do I believe that any city in the US thinks killing the homeless or mentally ill is ever a "choice." Our city, state and federal governments (taxpayer funded) have spent billions of dollars trying to protect the homeless, especially if they are military veterans suffering with PTSD. Our Veteran's Affairs dept. has expanded programs to address their medical needs, including mental health and provided housing. None of that has any relevance to this case, imo.

Penny and other witnesses reacted to JN's aggressive and threatening behavior raged directly at them. They had no way of knowing the cause of it nor did it matter. They followed common practices in the US so that JN couldn't hurt himself or them: several called 911, notified the conductor, adult men moved in to restrain JN until police arrived.

It is unfortunate that JN died in the process but not for a second do I believe the rhetoric that JN was "targeted" because of his race, mental illness or homelessness.

JMO

Last edited:
To me, there is a difference between someone being a threat, and someone not sitting down or standing up quietly like most people do on public transportation

When each of us think a chokehold or other intervention would be necessary to do to a fellow passenger while traveling on public transportation differs, because not everyone thinks the same way

Not everyone is scared of the same things…

My view/thoughts
And yes… I like my opinions best, but it’s just my opinion:)

Agree with most…

I've come to see the US as...50 **states**...united. United States. Long post on homelessness and its varieties incoming.

The Federal system has permitted all this freedom (straining our union to the max, of course - BUT not really, as there are many shared ideas across all states). We hope our union lasts. I know lots of people mock or disparage California (or NYC), but the vast number of people who can't find work or a life in the less populated areas...need to be able to go somewhere.

I personally don't meet many (or any) people who regard the homeless as responsible for their plight (although that's complex too: I myself do not think that California needs to do much or any more (proportionately) to help the homeless. I think what we are doing currently is helping a great deal. Many of our homeless mentally ill are from elsewhere.

Sometimes I'm annoyed that other states' homeless people are here in Los Angeles, but I am way more annoyed about street racing and what I see driving every day. California has a history of attempting to deal with, as we say, being the last New Place that people can move - and having great weather which invites them. We are at the edge of the populated world, If we look at the regions of the world in terms of "how long have humans been messing with the place?" it's quite a story.

Climate and weather play a big role. My dad was a homeless person who came to SoCal during the Great Depression. He had one (weirdo) relative who sometimes allowed him a home and sometimes didn't (similar to some of my students). He could not cope with homelessness/semi-homelessness in the VERY cold weather of the Central Plains.

He said that he would never go back to cold weather, having suffered so much outdoors as a kid (his family housed him then, but he had to work to pay for food and to help his family - it was hard, bitter work; he was not mentally ill).

Here in California we have many non-mentally ill homeless; we don't have as extensive a subway system; we spend more per capita on policing (not sure why NYC can't work it out - with so many rich people?) We think it's about half of the homeless who are neither mentally ill NOR drug users. A good number are single mothers living in cars, with extraordinary stories to tell (and very little internet access). A lot are single young males (mostly Anglo-Euoprean; aged 14-early 20's). We get lots of young male "fugitives" from other states. The streets of San Francisco and parts of L.A. have rows and rows of them in sleeping bags. Crime is frequent in that sector and of course, some are mentally ill (or become mentally ill from the stress of being homeless).

We have all manner of what can be loosely called "gypsies" (not the ethnic group, the lifestyle) and the weather has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, many don't realize how cold (or how hot) certain parts of California/Washington/Oregon can be. They end up moving gradually inland (Nevada has jobs; Nevada has tons of "campgrounds" that are parking lots, etc.)

Anyway, NY, Mass, California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii are all relatively homeless friendly - but there are limits, anywhere.

Age old human problem (civilization with cities is only 6000 years old - and only about 400-500 years old in Canada/US; Mexico is 2000BP for civilization more or less).

People are attracted to cities ("Core" cities have all services and all things; most places don't - I grew up in a place that still lacks many services as it is in the periphery; source: Immanuel Wallerstein's entire work).

There are pro's and con's to life in the Core and life in the Periphery.

World's first city is arguably Ur and it had issues with...incoming people, according to written records that are about 5,500 years old. Humans move around a lot, looking for better things. People move OUT of places with lots of mentally ill homeless (exacerbating the problem) and the mentally ill homeless move in. Non-mentally ill homeless are provided services they can actually use (like my dad) and get a foothold and a better life. People who feel they cannot move (and feel encroached upon by homeless) are all people whose ancestors made the decision (or they made it themselves) to move to a city.

Humans are dated to 300,000 years ago, so when I say 6,000 years ago is recent (esp. for the New World and other parts of the world), that's my context. We try to pretend that everyone can be literate, everyone can afford electricity, etc. But it's not true.

The story about the soldiers (which I have heard from a couple of others, so I can kind of guess the locale) is heartbreaking and my dad knew about this as well (having served in WW2 and following all mass media as closely as he could, afterwards - he was a reader, though he dropped out of school in 6th grade). I think it's still going on, in various places. And even if such people aren't "disappeared," their lives on the street are partly horrific and partly lived for the gain of the people who steal their begged coins from them/hook them into drug trade and organized crime.

True Crime is a brutal world. Some days I'm amazed at how WSers can handle all this bad news. I wish we weren't so divided.

IME and IMO. We're walking a fine line in this discussion. I don't want people to be disappeared, as they are in some many other cultures. That's not the America I was raised to believe in.

BBM - I assumed it was a rhetorical question because to me the answer is obvious.

They moved away because that is the advisable thing to do if you feel uncomfortable, and yelling and throwing jackets would make any reasonable person feel uncomfortable. I think a reasonable person likely feels somewhat uncomfortable and moves away from the source of discomfort on the NY subway, or in any major city public space, on a regular basis.

None of that warrants a civilian laying hands on a person, let alone deadly force. IMO.
They moved away because he’s throwing garbage, he’s saying he’s hungry and he’s not going to take it anymore, there was a hard snap of jacket metal against a floor, he’s ranting, he’s standing, he is dirty and unwashed and his body odor has taken over the car, an elderly lady is praying in her seat. Hear what I am about to say: I am a 5’2” petite woman who rides MTA often and is grateful for the presence of strong men. They can’t move into a next car unless they are fully stopped at a station. Would you like to take a wild guess as to what the will encounter in the next car? It’s in almost every car.

it’s reasonable to expect that some in this train car were aware of Michelle Go, it’s reasonable to expect that some in this train car were aware of Frank Robert James, and it is entirely believable on that train car that this ranting man is ill, pharmaceutically compromised, irrational, and seconds from smashing your face in, which happened a few days later in a different case even more unexpectedly. This is the post-COVID NYC subway system. I ride it almost every day. There are no civil rights delusions here. We stay near columns and beams and grip our purses and hope for the best.

MSM Links in compliance with Websleuths policy:
Michelle Go: Woman Pushed Onto Subway Tracks ‘Never Saw’ Her Attacker (Published 2022)
Frank Robert James: Accused Subway Shooter Held Without Bail Following First Court Appearance

I've come to see the US as...50 **states**...united. United States. Long post on homelessness and its varieties incoming.

The Federal system has permitted all this freedom (straining our union to the max, of course - BUT not really, as there are many shared ideas across all states). We hope our union lasts. I know lots of people mock or disparage California (or NYC), but the vast number of people who can't find work or a life in the less populated areas...need to be able to go somewhere.

I personally don't meet many (or any) people who regard the homeless as responsible for their plight (although that's complex too: I myself do not think that California needs to do much or any more (proportionately) to help the homeless. I think what we are doing currently is helping a great deal. Many of our homeless mentally ill are from elsewhere.

Sometimes I'm annoyed that other states' homeless people are here in Los Angeles, but I am way more annoyed about street racing and what I see driving every day. California has a history of attempting to deal with, as we say, being the last New Place that people can move - and having great weather which invites them. We are at the edge of the populated world, If we look at the regions of the world in terms of "how long have humans been messing with the place?" it's quite a story.

Climate and weather play a big role. My dad was a homeless person who came to SoCal during the Great Depression. He had one (weirdo) relative who sometimes allowed him a home and sometimes didn't (similar to some of my students). He could not cope with homelessness/semi-homelessness in the VERY cold weather of the Central Plains.

He said that he would never go back to cold weather, having suffered so much outdoors as a kid (his family housed him then, but he had to work to pay for food and to help his family - it was hard, bitter work; he was not mentally ill).

Here in California we have many non-mentally ill homeless; we don't have as extensive a subway system; we spend more per capita on policing (not sure why NYC can't work it out - with so many rich people?) We think it's about half of the homeless who are neither mentally ill NOR drug users. A good number are single mothers living in cars, with extraordinary stories to tell (and very little internet access). A lot are single young males (mostly Anglo-Euoprean; aged 14-early 20's). We get lots of young male "fugitives" from other states. The streets of San Francisco and parts of L.A. have rows and rows of them in sleeping bags. Crime is frequent in that sector and of course, some are mentally ill (or become mentally ill from the stress of being homeless).

We have all manner of what can be loosely called "gypsies" (not the ethnic group, the lifestyle) and the weather has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, many don't realize how cold (or how hot) certain parts of California/Washington/Oregon can be. They end up moving gradually inland (Nevada has jobs; Nevada has tons of "campgrounds" that are parking lots, etc.)

Anyway, NY, Mass, California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii are all relatively homeless friendly - but there are limits, anywhere.

Age old human problem (civilization with cities is only 6000 years old - and only about 400-500 years old in Canada/US; Mexico is 2000BP for civilization more or less).

People are attracted to cities ("Core" cities have all services and all things; most places don't - I grew up in a place that still lacks many services as it is in the periphery; source: Immanuel Wallerstein's entire work).

There are pro's and con's to life in the Core and life in the Periphery.

World's first city is arguably Ur and it had issues with...incoming people, according to written records that are about 5,500 years old. Humans move around a lot, looking for better things. People move OUT of places with lots of mentally ill homeless (exacerbating the problem) and the mentally ill homeless move in. Non-mentally ill homeless are provided services they can actually use (like my dad) and get a foothold and a better life. People who feel they cannot move (and feel encroached upon by homeless) are all people whose ancestors made the decision (or they made it themselves) to move to a city.

Humans are dated to 300,000 years ago, so when I say 6,000 years ago is recent (esp. for the New World and other parts of the world), that's my context. We try to pretend that everyone can be literate, everyone can afford electricity, etc. But it's not true.

The story about the soldiers (which I have heard from a couple of others, so I can kind of guess the locale) is heartbreaking and my dad knew about this as well (having served in WW2 and following all mass media as closely as he could, afterwards - he was a reader, though he dropped out of school in 6th grade). I think it's still going on, in various places. And even if such people aren't "disappeared," their lives on the street are partly horrific and partly lived for the gain of the people who steal their begged coins from them/hook them into drug trade and organized crime.

True Crime is a brutal world. Some days I'm amazed at how WSers can handle all this bad news. I wish we weren't so divided.

IME and IMO. We're walking a fine line in this discussion. I don't want people to be disappeared, as they are in some many other cultures. That's not the America I was raised to believe in.
You’re right. LA has many more homeless by circumstance, the single moms, the unsettled immigrants, the circumstantial. New York has the severely mentally ill. It’s too cold here to keep a population of unhoused that is even remotely rational. This is where the edge cases go, and they were held away before COVID in shelters manned by benevolent volunteers and dozens of social services agencies. That is all gone now. It Is raw and public now.

To me, there is a difference between someone being a threat, and someone not sitting down or standing up quietly like most people do on public transportation

When each of us think a chokehold or other intervention would be necessary to do to a fellow passenger while traveling on public transportation differs, because not everyone thinks the same way

Not everyone is scared of the same things…

My view/thoughts
And yes… I like my opinions best, but it’s just my opinion:)
Oh I agree so much!
We see through our individual filters.

Not for a minute do I believe that any city in the US thinks killing the homeless or mentally ill is ever a "choice." Our city, state and federal governments (taxpayer funded) have spent billions of dollars trying to protect the homeless, especially if they are military veterans suffering with PTSD. Our Veteran's Affairs dept. has expanded programs to address their medical needs, including mental health and provided housing. None of that has any relevance to this case, imo.

Penny and other witnesses reacted to JN's aggressive and threatening behavior raged directly at them. They had no way of knowing the cause of it nor did it matter. They followed common practices in the US so that JN couldn't hurt himself or them: several called 911, notified the conductor, adult men moved in to restrain JN until police arrived.

It is unfortunate that JN died in the process but not for a second do I believe the rhetoric that JN was "targeted" because of his race, mental illness or homelessness.

JMO

At the end of the day, only Mr. Penny knows what was going through his head. Personally, I would cross out the targeting element itself or the race. In my heart of hearts, I wonder if misplaced fear to end up in such a situation could have contributed. Remember how many rent places, or are straddled with high mortgages. But this is just JMO. My question is not why Mr. Penny intervened, but why he applied the chokehold for so long. Give or take, he either was poorly trained, or could not even understand what was happening as the result of his hold; nor was he responding to the advices of the people next to him.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, only Mr. Penny knows what was going through his head. Personally, I would cross out the targeting element itself or the race. In my heart of hearts, I wonder if misplaced fear to end up in such a situation could have contributed. Remember how many rent places, or are straddled with high mortgages. But this is just JMO. My question is not why Mr. Penny intervened, but why he applied the chokehold for so long. Give or take, he either was poorly trained, or could not even understand what was happening as the result of his hold; nor was he responding to the advices of the people next to him.
I find the concept of misplaced fear to be utterly fascinating.

They moved away because he’s throwing garbage, he’s saying he’s hungry and he’s not going to take it anymore, there was a hard snap of jacket metal against a floor, he’s ranting, he’s standing, he is dirty and unwashed and his body odor has taken over the car, an elderly lady is praying in her seat. Hear what I am about to say: I am a 5’2” petite woman who rides MTA often and is grateful for the presence of strong men. They can’t move into a next car unless they are fully stopped at a station. Would you like to take a wild guess as to what the will encounter in the next car? It’s in almost every car.

it’s reasonable to expect that some in this train car were aware of Michelle Go, it’s reasonable to expect that some in this train car were aware of Frank Robert James, and it is entirely believable on that train car that this ranting man is ill, pharmaceutically compromised, irrational, and seconds from smashing your face in, which happened a few days later in a different case even more unexpectedly. This is the post-COVID NYC subway system. I ride it almost every day. There are no civil rights delusions here. We stay near columns and beams and grip our purses and hope for the best.

MSM Links in compliance with Websleuths policy:
Michelle Go: Woman Pushed Onto Subway Tracks ‘Never Saw’ Her Attacker (Published 2022)
Frank Robert James: Accused Subway Shooter Held Without Bail Following First Court Appearance
I would NOT have been grateful for Daniel Penny's presence after that LONG choke-hold imo. I'm sure Penny knew there were better ways of handling or restraining Neely.

I agree with this. The 'fifteen minutes' statement is the proverbial shot across the bow. I can think of two other high profile cases in recent history here in the US, where statements have been made and the narrative takes off stirring up emotions... Only to be proven false and misleading later during recorded depositions and or testimony. But the damage is done, IMO.
Which events are u talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member