NY NY - Kathleen Durst, 29, South Salem, 31 Jan 1982 *Robert Durst died 2022*

I'm also watching "The Jinx" and I started googling old articles about Bob Durst. An article in GQ has a lot of info about his life in Galveston & his cross-dressing. Apparently dressing like a woman wasn't something he did just as a disguise (like I think he'd like us to believe.)
http://www.gq.com/ne...-the-blue-dress
From page 2 of the article:
Robert Durst rode the No. 6 with Frankie to the latter's apartment near 53rd and P 1/2—offering her money, she told me, if she would buy crack for him and help him lure young men. At night Roberta and Frankie would troll the Seawall. The svelte young African-American would approach a car window while the elder cross-dresser lingered nearby. The crack, she said, was Durst's bait—along with cash, if that proved necessary—to lure young men back to his "trick house" at 2213 Avenue K.

I really wonder if there are some missing/dead male prostitutes in the different cities where Bob lived whose deaths/disappearances he's responsible for.

The article is super interesting.

Durst was also renting an apartment (as Dianne Winn) in uptown New Orleans around the time Morris Black was killed. New Orleans was one of the places where he fled while on the run. I went to college & lived in that neighborhood around that time. I'd like to know where he lived. I have been able to find his landlord's name and the general neighborhood, but not the address or street/street block. If anyone knows, please share. Just interested to see since I am familiar with the area and would have been living there around the same time.

The series finale tonight was crazy. Bob admits he "killed them all."
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/n...ry-on-unsolved-killings-is-arrested.html?_r=0

I hope there's justice for Susan and Kathleen's families and if there are more Durst victims among "them all," that they see justice as well.

Durst was arrested last night in New Orleans and will be extradited to Los Angeles to face charges in the murder of his friend Susan Berman. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/03/robert_durst_caught_in_new_orl.html

I'm also watching "The Jinx" and I started googling old articles about Bob Durst. An article in GQ has a lot of info about his life in Galveston & his cross-dressing. Apparently dressing like a woman wasn't something he did just as a disguise (like I think he'd like us to believe.)
http://www.gq.com/ne...-the-blue-dress
From page 2 of the article:

I really wonder if there are some missing/dead male prostitutes in the different cities where Bob lived whose deaths/disappearances he's responsible for.

The article is super interesting.

That link didn't work. Here is one for the entire story. Thanks for the info.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/200204/killer-in-the-blue-dress

Hi, I haven't read this thread..So the answer may be here. If it is already, pardon me: While watching "The Jinx", I was struck by the list the ladies found in the garbage and the idea that Robert Durst was in Ship Bottom in the days following Kathleens disappearance. Without getting into a lot of detail,let me just ask if any of you know if the area around "The Bridge to Nowhere" was ever searched? It's close to Ship Bottom (10 miles or so). In 1982, this would have been an ideal place to "bury" a body in the wintertime. The area was not kept as it is now and also, marsh doesn't freeze. It would make sense to search around the Manahawkin bridge because it ends up on the island at Ship Bottom, but I can see where the "The Bridge to Nowhere" could be missed.

https://venturestoanomaly.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/246/

I'm making wild assumptions here but I've wondered about this head for a bit. It says prominent nose and Kathleen does seem to have a prominent nose depending on the pic.

Rt 84 is a short ride (under two hours) from many points in Connecticut and according to Wikipedia Robert was out of custody from March 2006. I don't know if he had any house arrest or anything. I was just wondering if perhaps he kept her as a trophy somewhere and got rid of parts after the Texas situation. Total wild assumptions on my part. :)

http://doenetwork.org/cases/878ufny.html
Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: May 18, 2006
Location of Discovery: Port Jervis, Orange Co, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 1995 or earlier
State of Remains: Partial Skeletal Remains (Human cranium was revocered. Teeth are missing, as is the mandible. No other bones were recovered)
Cause of Death: Undetermined
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate
Estimated Year of Birth: 1955-1965
Estimated Age: 25-50 years
Race: White
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown

Bringing up this old thread because I really got into The Jinx and felt so frustrated that Kathie's family never got closure.

The film made a pretty strong case she was dumped in a wooded area in New Jersey, probably near Ship Bottom, or further south, if he stopped there on the way there or on the way back.

What's really chilling is how effective Robert Durst was in making people believe that Kathie went missing in Manhattan instead of in South Salem and thus distancing himself from the crime. Apparently he had a female friend (likely later victim Susan Berman) call Kathie's medical school posing as her from the New York apartment. By some accounts he had her wear a blonde wig and pretend to be Kathie so the doorman would report seeing her in Manhattan as well. He also made the conscious choice to go report her missing in Manhattan and to not bring his car with him when he did. His money has certainly helped him out a lot over the years, but he did a much better job covering his tracts than most spouse murderers.

He managed to avoid being officially considered a suspect at all in the Susan Berman case until he (allegedly...) killed for a third time. He's an incredibly cunning man and his more recent sloppiness is only because he gained confidence over the years after not being caught time and time again. I actually wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's told someone where Kathie is. Susan probably knew, if only he hadn't killed her too, and I bet his current wife Debrah knows as well. She definitely knows he killed Susan because he left for California only a few weeks after they married and it was over Christmas too. When she was asked in the documentary if he was married when she first got involved with him she said something to the effect of "well that's complicated" and then laughed and flipped her hair. In one of their prison phone calls he openly discussed his plans to kill his brother and she didn't seem to have any objections to it on moral grounds. Her only concerns in any of the phone calls were that her husband would have to face the consequences of his actions or, even worse, that he would be declared insane and she would lose power of attorney and no longer have control of his money. I think she knows everything, but in the police interviews in the documentary she wouldn't answer questions with anything but "spousal privilege." I'm hoping maybe she's broken some laws herself because the only way she'll spill the beans is if she's otherwise facing a lengthy prison sentence herself.

The family of Kathleen Durst is filing a civil suit against Robert Durst, almost 34 years after she was last seen. The Jinx documentary that aired earlier this year where Durst made the revelation that he had "killed them all" was the final push needed to file the suit. Kathleen's mother is now 101 years old and it would be great if she could see her daughter receive justice before she passes.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/civil-suit-to-be-filed-against-the-jinxs-durst.html

For many years, says Jim McCormack, friends and observers wondered why his family never went after Durst in civil court — particularly as the years ticked by and Durst wasn’t even indicted or brought before a grand jury. “I guess this is the weird part of my personality,” says McCormack, who is now 70 and was 37 when his sister vanished. Kathleen, the youngest of five siblings, would be 63 today. “But I always held out hope that Kathie was, you know, out there somewhere. I know it sounds sophomoric to think that, but she’s my baby sister and that’s how I felt.”

That all changed the night of March 15 with the airing of the final episode of The Jinx. Among other things, the documentary helped bring about Durst’s arrest for Berman’s murder. The night of the finale, Jim McCormack; his wife, Sharon; and their daughter, Elizabeth, who bears an eerily strong resemblance to Kathleen, watched with some others at director Jarecki’s Manhattan home. McCormack remembers being shell-shocked, then sobbing, when the episode ended with Durst's apparent admission of murder: “What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course,” spoken into a live mic in a bathroom after being confronted by Jarecki with seeming evidence of his guilt.

“That, sadly, was the closure we’ve been chasing after for years and years,” say McCormack. “After 33 years of hell — really, there’s no other way to describe what our family has been through — we decided it’s time to sue.”

Relatives of Robert Durst's 'missing' first wife file $100 million lawsuit accusing him of her murder

Kathleen 'Kathie' Durst, 29, vanished in 1982 after a fight with her husband

He said he put her on a train from South Salem, NY, to New York City

She has not been seen since and her body has never been found

Her family filed a $100 million lawsuit Monday claiming Durst murdered her

Durst is currently in jail in New Orleans awaiting trial for a firarms offense

In March he was charged with the murder of his confidante, Susan Berman, in California in 2000

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...1st-wife-file-100M-lawsuit.html#ixzz3t30nYlAR

What bums me the most, is that Kathy Durst's in-laws didn't care about her death.
That's simply sad. They should be ashamed.

It's not like they wanted to protect Bob Durst, but rather that they simply didn't want the Durst name associated with murder. Ironically, they would have received considerably sympathy if they had stepped forward for Kathy. But now...well...they won't.

images.jpegHas anyone given any thought to Robert Durst being the Connecticut river Serial Killer? The guy is a perfect candidate and is actually a person of interest in a disappearance in Vermont where he owned a Health Food Market in the general area and during the general times these crimes were committed, he was a frequent visitor and owned properties in the state and he is as i earlier stated a suspect or person of interest in at least one young girls disappearance in the state.

SIDE NOTE:
I realize that there is a strong opinion that this killer was identified as a man whom is no longer living that ended up taking his own life but this could easily be a assumption that is just as wrong as it could be right. Furthermore the man that is widely believed to be the Connecticut River Serial killer in Vermont was not even close to appearing like the man that victims and survivors described when they gave composite details to sketch artists after they were attacked. Robert Durst on the other hand looks identical to the composites and sketches produced by the victims and artists that they worked with, I know this is a long shot but its something that I have kicked around and looked into on my own as I have an interest in the state of vermont ( my home state) and I believe Mr. Durst to be a likely candidate for these murders. His MO, location during said times, property owned, personal temperament and his general disposition toward women in his past and later his future points to a person of interest. NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT HE WAS AN ABSOLUTE DEAD COLD RINGER IN COMPARISON TO COMPOSITE SKETCHES CREATED BY THE SKETCH ARTIST IN THIS CASE!! sketch-from-jane-boroski.jpg

35 Years Later, Sister in Durst Case Is Still Looking for Answers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/nyregion/35-years-later-sister-in-durst-case-is-still-looking-for-answers.html

Mary McCormack Hughes has a vivid recollection of the phone call she got 35 years ago this week from Robert Durst, her brother-in-law. “Have you seen Kathie?” he asked.

Kathie was Kathleen Durst, Ms. Hughes’s younger sister, who at 29 was in the final months of medical school. Her marriage to Mr. Durst, the eccentric scion of a prominent New York real estate family, had splintered under Mr. Durst’s efforts to control her, repeated rounds of quarreling and, finally, violence.

No, Ms. Hughes, said she had responded, but I’ve been meaning to talk to you about Kathie.

Mr. Durst cut her off, saying he was going to the police, and abruptly ended the call, she said.

Ms. Hughes remembers that as she hung up the phone in her East Side apartment that February evening in 1982, she turned to her husband, Tom Hughes, and said, “I think he killed her.”

Today, Mr. Durst, 73, sits in Los Angeles County Jail awaiting trial on a charge of murder — not of Kathie, but of Susan Berman, a confidante who, investigators say, knew his secrets and shielded him from newspaper reporters after his wife vanished.

Ms. Hughes has not paid much attention to events in Los Angeles.

“I think it’s going to be a disaster,” she said, with bitterness, of the coming trial during her first interview in more than three decades, at an Upper East Side apartment building where her sister once lived with Mr. Durst. A large photograph of Kathie Durst dressed in an Annie Oakley-style dress and a wide-brimmed hat from the Wild West hung over the fireplace.

“Hollywood and publicity,” Ms. Hughes said. “They’re not really interested in my sister — they’re interested in Bob. I just want to find out what happened to my sister.”

Whatever happens in Los Angeles, Mr. Durst will return to federal prison to serve the remaining time on a seven-year gun conviction.

“We want some sort of peace, some answers as to where she’s at,” Ms. Hughes said. “Why couldn’t he just tell us? He has nothing to lose. He’s going to stay in jail.”

This is my first time being on this site, but was simply looking for a forum in which to share ideas and thoughts. I have looked over the rules of the site and hope I am abiding by them.
I can't say I have been a person that has followed the Robert Durst case closely, and up until recently didn't pay much attention to his past or present trials.
After watching the six part mini series, the Jinx, I was captivated by the details and have watched many other clips pertaining to the individual cases.
I do not have a degree or any education in Psychology, though I have had plenty of personal experience with therapy.
I was somewhat perplexed at the, seemingly, strong attention to detail when watching the Jinx, but found it interesting that there were a couple of things never brought up.
On occasion, when interviewed, it seems Robert Durst would talk about himself in the third person. Now, I understand this is not a completely abnormal thing, as I suppose some people do this. However, the subject i wanted to touch on was the effect his mother's apparent suicide played in his life and with his mental faculties.
I am not at all making any claims or suggestions to be honest, but rather throwing an alternative way of looking at something out there to be pondered.
I know it has been stated by some who know him that he does mutter to himself quite often. I think we all do that, but I know when I perhaps talk to myself, I'm not talking as though I'm saying it to myself but perhaps as I'm saying it to someone else. With that, perhaps when talking to himself, he could possibly be talking to someone else, alive or deceased. I am posting some dialogue from the actual Jinx mini series here to be discussed.

An example of Robert Durst talking in the 3rd person (I believe from episode 2)

“And, the LA police have been investigating for awhile now, and they’re unable to put HIM in Los Angeles.”

The discussion regarding Robert Durst's mom's suicide, also from episode 2

Bob “My father came and got me and he said, I’d like…, come on over here…, want you to , you know, to see mommy. And we looked out a hall window, out onto the roof, and there was mommy. And I waived at mommy, I don’t know that she saw me. It never went through my mind that, what is she doing out on the roof in her nighty. I mean it just didn’t focus on me, there’s mommy, waive at mommy, okay now go on back to bed.”

Bob “People are telling me, ah your mommy will be safe, she will be right here, and they’re starting to lower the coffin into the ground. And I’m going, wait a minute, mommy’s in this box? Oh yea, she’ll be right here. Get mommy out of the box. I don’t want mommy in the box!”

A word (mommy), I believe, to have been left out of the self discussion Robert Durst has with himself in the restroom at the end of episode 6. If this word was indeed not heard and/or included, could the discussion perhaps be framed completely different??

Mom “And there it is, you’re caught.”
Bob “Mommy, you’re right of course, but you can’t imagine”
Mom “Arrest him.”
Bob “I don’t know what’s in the houise. Oh I want this.”
Mom “What a disaster.”
Bob “He was right, I was wrong.”
Mom “And the burping.”
Bob “I’m having difficulty with the question. What the hell did I do?”
Mom “Killed them all, of course.”

Robert Durst’s wife officially declared dead after 35 years

http://nypost.com/2017/04/06/robert-dursts-wife-officially-declared-dead-after-35-years/

It took only 35 years, but Kathie Durst has finally been declared dead.

A Manhattan judge officially laid to rest the first wife of oddball real-estate heir Robert Durst in a decision made public Thursday.

Kathie vanished from the couple’s weekend home in Westchester County in 1982.

Robert has never been charged in his wife’s disappearance, but he remains the only suspect. He famously appeared to confess to killing her in the 2015 HBO documentary “The Jinx.”

The death declaration, by Surrogate’s Court Judge Nora Anderson, allows Kathie’s long-suffering siblings to pursue a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Robert, who they say killed her and hid her body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back