NY - Kaylin Gillis, 20, shot and killed in car in wrong driveway, Kevin Monahan, 65, homeowner, in custody - Hebron, 15 Apr 2023

Every day, I'm more horrified by people. What goes through someone's mind to think that this is an appropriate response to a group of young women turning into your driveway??

I wondered if he was drunk or high, but that doesn't seem likely. He shot her from quite a distance, with great accuracy, so assume he wasn't impaired. Human garbage.

From the CNN article above

A judge remanded Monahan back to police custody at a bail hearing last month. Prosecutors argued Monahan’s confrontational and compulsive temperament should be taken into consideration and requested Monahan be returned to police custody without bail, CNN previously reported.

Where does he get the idea it's ok to be angry and confrontational? He murdered an innocent person. Did he expect the police and prosecutor to just forgive him?

If he was so paranoid, he should have installed a basic gate with a lock at the end of his driveway.

Last edited:
I admit to not taking a gun safety course in some years but did they change the rule about being responsible for ones target and what’s beyond it? If this man was in such fear he probably could have made a gate for a reasonable cost.

Again, very sad case. Also again, I don't understand why the home-owner was threatened by a group of kids driving away from his house - obviously they realized they were @ the wrong home. What an horrific over-reaction to an understandable situation. This entitled idiot is a murderer - hopefully he'll go to jail for an extremely long time.

I also agree that if this guy didn't want to deal with this type of issue (apparently it had happened before) - he could easily have installed some kind of a gate, etc. Sure, that's a hassle, especially for the home-owner who would need to keep opening & closing the gate whenever he/his family left the house. But, it would have been a deterrent & would have kept people from mistakenly pulling into his driveway. Well, it's too late now.

Kaylin and her friends were looking for another friend's house. It was a very rural area, dirt roads, little or no cell phone coverage.

After she was shot, her friends had to drive 20 minutes to the closest town to get a cell phone signal to call for help.

Monahan was uncooperative with law enforcement and refused to leave his home. Local sheriff's deputies had to call for help from a special team with NY State Police to extract him from his home. He has expressed no remorse for killing Kaylin.
He has yet to express ANY remorse. Like... everyone knows you killed her, you included. It's safe to show remorse. You're getting convicted either way, Kevin!! At least try to express some sadness you killed a 20 yr old girl in her boyfriend's passenger seat?? Imagine that boy's horror. It's literally a horror movie...

I cannot tell you how many times I accidentally went into a wrong driveway/used a driveway to turn around... I do not these days purely because people like this terrify me... and they're becoming more and more prevalent. These paranoid people who think innocent people are gonna hurt them so they try to hurt the innocent first.

MOO. Cows!

The attorney has disputed the sheriff's description of events and has said there were multiple vehicles revving their engines and coming up Monahan's driveway at "a high rate of speed."

The victim's father, Andy Gillis, has called for justice and described his daughter as a "smart, kind, loving" young woman who had dreams of becoming a marine biologist or veterinarian.

"For this man to sit on his porch and fire at a car with no threat is just ... (it) angers me so badly, and I just hope to God that he dies in jail," Gillis said after Monahan's April bail hearing. "Kaylin deserves justice."
--
The attorney who was their neighbor and is a witness said he heard no revving whatsoever, just normal driving...
RIP Kaylin :( she would've done great things had she been given the CHANCE to...

His attorney claims it was an accident, that Monahan tripped and fell and accidentally discharged the shotgun.

He also testified that he and his wife felt like they were "under siege" that day and that their safety was threatened. If they were really that freaked out by people making a wrong turn into their driveway, they should have put up a gate.

Kevin Monahan, 66, was convicted of second-degree murder in the death last April of Kaylin Gillis. She was riding in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that was trying to leave after pulling into Monahan’s long, winding driveway while looking for a party at another person’s house in the town of Hebron.

The conviction carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life, which prosecutors previously said they would be seeking.

Gillis’ death drew attention far beyond upstate New York. It came days after the shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl in Kansas City. Yarl, who is Black, was wounded by an 84-year-old white man after he went to the wrong door while trying to pick up his younger brothers.

Gillis’ father, Andrew Gillis, has described his daughter as someone who loved animals and had dreams of becoming a marine biologist or a veterinarian.

“Every day we wake up to the harsh reality that that she’s no longer here. We will never see her beautiful face, hear her laughter,” Gillis said in court Friday before Monahan’s sentence was announced.

Her boyfriend, Blake Walsh, was behind the wheel of the SUV that night. “I will never be able to forgive you,” he told Monahan, who looked on with a stony face.

Kevin Monahan, 66, was convicted of second-degree murder in the death last April of Kaylin Gillis. She was riding in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that was trying to leave after pulling into Monahan’s long, winding driveway while looking for a party at another person’s house in the town of Hebron.

The conviction carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life, which prosecutors previously said they would be seeking.

Gillis’ death drew attention far beyond upstate New York. It came days after the shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl in Kansas City. Yarl, who is Black, was wounded by an 84-year-old white man after he went to the wrong door while trying to pick up his younger brothers.

Gillis’ father, Andrew Gillis, has described his daughter as someone who loved animals and had dreams of becoming a marine biologist or a veterinarian.

“Every day we wake up to the harsh reality that that she’s no longer here. We will never see her beautiful face, hear her laughter,” Gillis said in court Friday before Monahan’s sentence was announced.

Her boyfriend, Blake Walsh, was behind the wheel of the SUV that night. “I will never be able to forgive you,” he told Monahan, who looked on with a stony face.
He got 25 to life.

“I think it’s important for people to know that it’s not ok to shoot people and have them killed for turning down your driveway,” Judge Adam Michelini said. Apart from the wider deterrent effect, Michelini said it’s important that Monahan remain behind bars rather than be free to harm more people.

“You murdered Kaylin Gillis. You shot at a car full of people and you didn’t care what would happen and you repeatedly lied about it. You deserve to spend the maximum time in prison allowable under the law,” the judge said.

Good, a judge tells it like it is.
Judge Adam Michelini "tells off" defendant Kevin Monahan.....

The first thing you do on the witness stand when you come up here and testify is you made a joke to the jury about them finally being able to see your face.

You have the gall to sit here and talk about how you plan to finish up the work on your house and race motocross in the future. What would make you think that you deserve those things?

Any remorse you have isn’t for the harm you’ve caused. The only regret you have is that you’re finally facing the consequences for your actions. You shot at a car full of people and you didn’t care what would happen and you repeatedly lied about it. You deserve to spend the maximum time in prison allowable under our law.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back