NY NY - Kellisue M. Ackernecht, 35, Johnstown, 30 Sept 2008

It doesn't take much to get a good size fire roaring; yet as a firemen he may be privy to what accelerants they investigate for; and the time frames of burning things. If gasoline was used; would the trace amount found after the amount of fire show?..

I have not read anything yet as to whether trace amounts of gas or accelerants were found, MeoW333, seems certain the car fire had to have been checked though for accelerants. I am not sure it would be info that would be released to the public. Press coverage on Kellisue is slowing down. It has been a long time now that she has been missing. I hope so much that a new lead comes asap for her sake.

Seems like there are a lot of missing women in the past couple months. I started looking at all the different cases and it seems like they almost could be linked. I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this trend it would be interestiong to compare all of the missing women cases over the past 6 months and see if any of them have a common link.

I have not read anything yet as to whether trace amounts of gas or accelerants were found, MeoW333, seems certain the car fire had to have been checked though for accelerants. I am not sure it would be info that would be released to the public. Press coverage on Kellisue is slowing down. It has been a long time now that she has been missing. I hope so much that a new lead comes asap for her sake.

Obviously a vehicle itself has accelerants in it. It would be interesting to see a picture of the vehicle to see how destroyed it is. Hopefully the arson investigators would know if this was intentionally set or not. Between arson investigators and those in the vehicle industry who know about these vehicles and how they would burn / what would cause them to burn, then this should be a valuable piece of information. Let's hope that this is one piece of the puzzle that is known.

Obviously a vehicle itself has accelerants in it. It would be interesting to see a picture of the vehicle to see how destroyed it is. Hopefully the arson investigators would know if this was intentionally set or not. Between arson investigators and those in the vehicle industry who know about these vehicles and how they would burn / what would cause them to burn, then this should be a valuable piece of information. Let's hope that this is one piece of the puzzle that is known.

I was thinking that if someone used gasoline as an accelerant; and the fire burned very hot and quick; would trace amounts that would normally be found in a vehicle show up of the gasoline, or if something else was used that a hot fire would "burn away" most detectable traces of an accelerant. If her ex husband is a fireman; then he might know these things..

I agree firemen would know these things, her husband is an ex-fireman. Reminds me of a situation where a crew of firemen were all terminated from the fire dept because many of them were setting arson fires, unbelievable. But it is true as K9 says where cars have accelerants in them in materials used to make the car and rugs and seats and glue, etc.

I knew a girl who dropped the tip of her cigarette without realizing it in her car, and was watching TV in her house when a half hour later she realized the inside of her car was on fire out in the driveway. The fire demolished both front seats and rugs and dashboard, etc. Unbelievably quickly. If the fire was not intentionally set by someone like her husband/ex-firemen or by Kellisue herself along with the shift supervisor/friend she was with to implicate the husband, I wonder if Kellisue may have had a cigarette in the car, started realizing there was fire and that she was in trouble, got out of the car and someone came along and abducted her. Or if something electrical in the car, (wiring) started the fire, and she got out and met with harm, etc.

I recall a case a couple of years ago where a car had been found under water in a lake and the whole inside had been burned, and they had trouble figuring out if the fire was set intentionally to kill the occupant who died, turned out they did find that "additional" accelerants were used to start the fire intentionally, and that the person who set the fire knew it would be hard for them to figure out since the accelerant they put in was also all merged in with the usual accelerants in a car, but it was found out that it was a homicide.

The media is slowly letting this case go and law enforcement still isn't saying anything. It is scary I do not live far from Johnstown.I am doing all I can to keep Kellisue's name and picture out there. I do not know Kellisue, but I feel for her situation. Her husbands silence bothers me.

Hi Allaster, I agree it is not a good thing that the press is letting it go and nothing more SEEMS to be being done, as far as can be told from no more information, it IS scary for Kellisue's case. You have done a great job helping to get it on here, It would be good if it got on national media TV coverage, to send the info to the smaller TV stations first near where Kellisue lives/lived or contact Nancy Grace directly, but it would be a tragedy even more if this case were allowed to just go cold.

Thank you Allaster, that is great that her brother is asking for more help from the police. Great great news.

Leader Herald Letter to the editor
http://leaderherald.com/page/content.detail/id/507562.html?nav=5008

As a friend and concerned citizen of Johnstown, I feel compelled to publicly plead to Louise Sira, Fulton County district attorney, concerning the disappearance of Kellisue M. Ackernecht. It has now been almost two months, and Johnstown Police Chief Greg Horning is worried about how much money he's spent in overtime? Shame on you, Greg. And God forbid we call in an outside agency?

Ms. Sira, if someone has been missing, especially under the circumstances that Kellisue has been, i.e. a car burned beyond recognition, how do you not see this as a crime and not call in the state police Bureau of Criminal Investigation? It should always be considered a potential crime when someone is missing, their car burned and no contact with that missing person.

As a Johnstown native, I am now scared to death to let my children walk to and from school. I am scared that someone can just disappear from this city without a trace, and I am scared that we potentially have a murderer among us. Ms. Sira, please do the job that you were elected to do, pull out all the stops to find our missing friend, relative, citizen. Keep our community safe. Anything else quite honestly looks suspicious on both your part and the Johnstown Police Department's.

J. L. M.

Johnstown

sadly no sign of Kellisue. I met her brother today, it is very painful for him they seem so helpless not sure where to turn law enforcement has been very quiet. Not sure if anything behind the scenes is going on or they have other matters that they are dealing with. Keep Kellisue in your prayers this Thanksgiving.

Missing woman’s sister unhappy with Johnstown Police

Steve Flamisch

The sister of a missing Johnstown woman is losing patience with the town police department.

Kellisue Ackernecht, 35, disappeared on September 30, a few days before her daughter’s ninth birthday. Her sister, Beth Manchester, said Tuesday that she believes the investigation is stalled.

“Absolutely,” Manchester said when asked whether she is frustrated with the Johnstown Police Department. “But I’m not going to say anything bad about anybody.”

The lieutenant in charge of the probe did not immediately return a CBS 6 phone call on Tuesday.

Police found Ackernecht’s care on fire less than a mile from her house on the night she vanished. There was no one inside the vehicle, police said. Subsequent searches of the area revealed no sign of the missing mother of one.

“It was very hard for Thanksgiving,” Manchester said. “I was with my son. We said a prayer for her.”

Though Manchester said she believes her sister is still alive, she does not understand why Ackernecht hasn’t called her loved ones — especially her daughter.

“We really wish she would come home,” Manchester said.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/police_1259137___article.html/manchester_sister.html

OHNSTOWN - City Police Chief Gregory Horning said Tuesday he believes missing city resident Kellisue M. Ackernecht might be alive and may return back to her loved ones.

Horning also reiterated something he has said since she went missing Oct. 1 - her husband, Jayson Ackernecht, is not a person of interest in her two-month disappearance and has been very helpful to police.

“Jayson’s been very cooperative,” Horning said, including his periodic meetings with the lead investigator, Sgt. David Gilbo.

Horning said his department, Fulton County District Attorney Louise K. Sira and other area police agencies had a recent four-hour meeting on the case. The chief expressed optimism Kellisue Ackernecht is still alive.

“She’ll turn up,” Horning said. “All our hopes and prayers are with the Ackernecht family. We hope we’ll find her alive someplace.”

Meanwhile, family members of the missing city resident’s family this week are continuing to do things behind the scenes to keep her case in the media. They also say they are still upset by how the case is being handled by law enforcement.

Monday marked two months since she has been missing. Kellisue Ackernecht’s 37th birthday is Dec. 16. Her brother, Chris Clouston of Connecticut, said Tuesday he might be organizing a vigil for her birthday.

Although he can’t always break away from his job in Connecticut to help with the case, Clouston said he wants to keep his sister’s case in the spotlight, even if only through a vigil.

He said he’s “displeased” with the way city police and Sira have have handled his sister’s case. He said he wants more answers to his questions. Both Johnstown police and Sira continue to say Ackernecht’s disappearance remains a missing-person case.

Clouston said he’s going to make a concerted effort to contact area media.

Ackernecht, of 330 W. Main St., left her job at Rite Aid in Amsterdam just after 9:30 p.m. Sept. 30, city police said. She was reported missing by her husband in the early morning hours of Oct. 1 - about the same time the car she was driving was found engulfed in fire at West Montgomery and Chestnut streets, also known as Frog Hollow.

State police have helped the city Police Department as lead agency with the search by use of one of its helicopters that hovered over the Frog Hollow area in October, but found nothing to tie into this case. The city Police Department has conducted several foot searches with dogs and forest rangers. Johnstown police and the St. Johnsville Dive Team have combed the banks of the Cayadutta Creek leading to Sammonsville.

Lately, Horning said, his department has been “following a few leads here and there.”

He said there’s still no evidence of foul play and there is nothing new to report on the cause of the burned car.

“We’ve done everything humanly possible,” Horning said. “We’ve done a lot of leg work for leads that sometimes have gone nowhere.”

On the positive side, he said his department has “ruled out” several things in the case. Some of that has had to do with conversations with Jayson Ackernecht, Horning said.

Horning said he has conferred with “major crimes” experts in the region. He said they are telling him, “Your people are doing everything.”

“We’re a pretty competent police department,” Horning said.

Clouston said despite what city police say, he would like his sister’s family better apprised of what’s going on in the investigation.

“Something needs to be done,” he said.

He said he sent a letter to CNN legal and crime broadcast personality Nancy Grace.

Clouston said he has a source in Maine that may help with another K-9 search in the Johnstown area.

“They’ve done many cases nationally with positive results,” he said, declining to provide the group’s name.

He said his sister’s case continues to be on state and national missing-persons registers.

Clouston said people can find information about the case

on a Web site, www.findkellisue.wordpress.com.

Kellisue M. Ackernecht is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 135 pounds. Her family says she has “short brown, naturally curly hair with red highlights.”

People may call Johnstown police at 736-4021 with confidential information on the case.

Michael Anich covers Johnstown and Fulton County news. He can be reached at johnstown@leaderherald.com

http://leaderherald.com/page/conten...5011&actionAlert=commentadded#commentNum44380

Vigil for Kellisue Ackernecht

December 16,2008

7:00pm

Montgomery Street

Johnstown, New York

The Frog Hollow Walk Path

Kellisue’s Birthday will be remembered

http://leaderherald.com/page/content....html?nav=5011
Group marks woman’s birthday
Kellisue Ackernecht last seen Sept. 30

By MICHAEL ANICH/The Leader-Herald

JOHNSTOWN - At 7:09 p.m. Tuesday - on a dark crisp night in Frog Hollow -17 people sang a spirited version of "Happy Birthday" to Kellisue Ackernecht.

But the Johnstown woman wasn't there to enjoy the celebration of her 37th year of life, and that was the point.

The group of Ackernecht's family members, friends and acquaintances, and even strangers, met for a candlelight vigil in an effort to keep her name in the spotlight. Led by four of her siblings - brothers Thomas Kilcullen, Chris Clouston, John Kilcullen and sister Beth Manchester - the group stayed for several minutes at the spot just a few yards from where the missing woman's car was found burned in the early morning of Oct. 1.

"We just want her to come home safe," Manchester said.

The vigil was the second one held in Johnstown, as family members continue to scratch their heads about the whereabouts of Kellisue. Family members also have conducted their own searches for the woman.

"We just wanted everybody to get together to show everyone that we're missing her," Thomas Kilcullen said.

Clouston arrived at the vigil a few minutes after 7 p.m., having driven 196 miles from his home in Connecticut. Her planned to get right back in his car and drive back at the conclusion of the vigil.

"I'm glad you guys came around on short notice," Clouston told the group.

John Kilcullen's fiancee - Margo Kusaw of Johnstown lit candles along the posts on the bending curve where Ackernecht's car was found.

Absent Tuesday night was Ackernecht's husband, Jayson, who shares a home three blocks away with her and their daughter at 330 W. Main St.

The Johnstown Police Department has continued to treat the baffling case of the two and one-half month disappearance as a missing-person case. Police and District Attorney Louise K. Sira say they need evidence before they can even begin to build a criminal case in her disappearance.

What has been made public is the case is that Ackernecht left her job at Rite Aid in Amsterdam just after 9:30 p.m. Sept. 30, Johnstown police said. She was reported missing by her husband in the early morning hours of Oct. 1 - about the same time the car she was driving registered to him was found engulfed in fire at West Montgomery and Chestnut streets, also known as Frog Hollow.

City fire officials have said the vehicle is too burned to gain any evidence, but haven't closed their investigation.

Police have conducted searches, including one with the assistance of a state police helicopter, over the Frog Hollow area, but they found nothing tied to this case. The city Police Department has done several foot searches with dogs and used forest rangers. Johnstown police and the St. Johnsville Dive Team also have combed the banks of the Cayadutta Creek leading to Sammonsville.

Just before 7 p.m. Tuesday, vehicles started pulling up to the bend that parallels the Rail Trail. Participants in the vigil braved a 25-degree night to let everyone know they haven't forgotten Kellisue.

"I'm here to lend support because there needs to be more support," said Kalley Lee of Fort Plain - a complete stranger to Kellisue.

She said she doesn't know Ackernecht, but decided to get involved, as she has in other missing persons cases.

Lee has put together a Web site for everyone to remember Kellisue Ackernecht in their thoughts and prayers - www.findkellisue.wordpress.com. She said the Web site is free to her and she has the time during the day, staying at home to take care of a sick daughter.

Many of the people attending the vigil said they didn't want to criticize anyone involved in the case.

Thomas Kilcullen said he didn't think his sister was "capable" of torching the family car, no matter if she had any personal problems or not.

He also said it was unusual his sister would come up missing two weeks before own daughter's birthday.

When asked to give a message to Kellisue, many in the group simply said for her to call any family member. The group said it was sad the media - including TV stations invited - weren't keeping up with the story.

Kellisue M. Ackernecht is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 135 pounds. Her family says she has "short brown, naturally curly hair with red highlights."

People may call Johnstown police at 736-4021 with confidential information on the case.

Michael Anich covers Johnstown and Fulton County news. He can be reached at johnstown@leaderherald.com

Attachments

• vigil.jpg
    vigil.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 75
re: Kellisue M Ackernecht
I just found out about this case.
It appears the LE are not even seeing her as missing, but that she ran away. ?
This based on statement from her husband.
Some info on local topix says husband took off her ring and gave away her things not long after her disappearance.
This not known as fact.

This woman leaves her job at 9:30p.m. at night. Does not arrive home as far as we know. Her car found burning. Car provides no evidence per police.
She is nowhere to be found.
Husband is a firefighter. Small town. LE and firefighters may know one another well and not want to believe badly of the other.
Family lived with his parents.

IMO: Kellisue may no longer be with us. But it appears the investigation is stalled.

OT: Perhaps we need to start a thread about the disappearance of all the NY women? I find it fascinating and have followed the Audrey Mae Herron case for awhile.

re: Kellisue M Ackernecht
I just found out about this case.
It appears the LE are not even seeing her as missing, but that she ran away. ?
This based on statement from her husband.
Some info on local topix says husband took off her ring and gave away her things not long after her disappearance.
This not known as fact.

This woman leaves her job at 9:30p.m. at night. Does not arrive home as far as we know. Her car found burning. Car provides no evidence per police.
She is nowhere to be found.
Husband is a firefighter. Small town. LE and firefighters may know one another well and not want to believe badly of the other.
Family lived with his parents.

IMO: Kellisue may no longer be with us. But it appears the investigation is stalled.

OT: Perhaps we need to start a thread about the disappearance of all the NY women? I find it fascinating and have followed the Audrey Mae Herron case for awhile.

IMO they need to take a better look at her husband. Reporting her missing around the same time her car is found burning? My hinky meter is going off! I don't see how they can think she just ran away. Everything is based on what the husband says. How can the local police just say she ran away when her car is found afire? At least you would think the police would think that suspicious? How did she run away with her car set on fire? I doubt she'd leave like that when her daughter's birthday was a few days away.

http://leaderherald.com/page/content.detail/id/509263.html?nav=5011

By MICHAEL ANICH, The Leader-Herald

POSTED: January 23, 2009

"Search for city woman continues"

JOHNSTOWN - City police detectives who recently investigated leads in the disappearance of city woman Kellisue M. Ackernecht in the Syracuse area found nothing substantial, Johnstown Police Chief Gregory Horning said earlier this week.

Ackernecht was reported missing by her husband Oct. 1.

"We've had interviews with some people in the Syracuse area," Johnstown Police Chief Gregory Horning said Monday. "Nothing has panned out."

The police official said his department continues to investigate all possibilities in the disappearance, which he said still can't be labeled a criminal matter.

"Me personally, and the whole department, we're hoping she will still be found alive and well," Horning said.

Horning said he sent two investigators - Dave Gilbo and Tom Oare - to Syracuse for a couple days recently to investigate leads. He said they interviewed two or three people.

"We didn't get any positive results on that," the chief said.

Ackernecht, 37, of 330 W. Main St., was reported missing by her husband, Jayson, in the early morning hours of Oct. 1.

Thomas Kilcullen of Ames, one of Ackernecht's brothers, said today he understands Kellisue "knew a guy" locally who moved to Syracuse, which is why police might have headed there.

He said his family continues to learn his sister didn't have an ideal life at her city home.

"She had a rough life," Kilcullen said. "It was a lot worse than anybody knew."

Kilcullen, a service technician, said he is still "begging for answers" and wants anyone from the public to contact him by e-mail at kilcullentom@yahoo.com.

He said his company - Liftech Equipment Companies of Syracuse - is putting his sister's image on vehicles in Central New York.

Ackernecht left her job at Rite Aid in Amsterdam just after 9:30 p.m. Sept. 30, Johnstown police said. She was reported missing about the same time the 1998 Saturn sedan she was driving was found engulfed in flames at West Montgomery and Chestnut streets, also known as Frog Hollow.

City fire officials have said the vehicle was too burned to gain any evidence, but haven't closed their investigation.

Johnstown police, state police and others have aided in the probe, which has included a search by helicopter that hovered over the Frog Hollow area in October. Nothing tied to the case has been found. The city Police Department has done several searches with dogs and used forest rangers. Johnstown police and the St. Johnsville Dive Team have combed the banks of the Cayadutta Creek leading to Sammonsville.

Horning said his department, in conjunction with fire officials, also recently conducted two controlled burns on vehicles similar to the Saturn at the Fulton County Fire Training Center to learn how the fire may have started.

"We learned that the fire starting in the actual engine compartment [among the test vehicles] was consistent with [the Ackernecht fire]," Horning said. "It [the Ackernecht fire] may have started in the engine."

Horning said his agency has worked closely with state police on the fire and "because the car burned up so completely," the reason it started is still inconclusive.

The chief said Kellisue Ackernecht has not contacted anyone, not even her husband or 10-year-old daughter.

"I wish she would just call us," said Horning, who insisted there is still no evidence of criminal activity.

Ackernecht is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 135 pounds. Her family says she has "short brown, naturally curly hair with red highlights."

The family also says Kellisue was last seen wearing tan slacks, a black shirt, new white sneakers, tan stockings and brown glasses.

Michael Anich covers Johnstown and Fulton County news. He can be reached at johnstown@leaderherald.com.
:behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back