CONVICTION OVERTURNED NY - Michaela MacVilla, 21, found deceased, Canajoharie, 25 Sept 2018 *Arrest*

Cause, but not manner. AFAIK. It sounds as if they know both, though, and I can understand keeping it quiet. Then again, perhaps LE or the pathologist is awaiting a bit more investigation or results before a definitive manner. It's always possible the aunt mixed up cause and manner, too, as many folks do.
Cause of Death is a term used to indicate the medical cause of death. It lists the disease(s) or injuries that caused death. Specific cause of death information is recorded on the death certificate and is entered into the Vital Statistics System of the State.

The reason why an accident occurred, a person took their own life, or why one person killed another person are not investigated by the medical examiner for the purpose of death certification.

Manner of Death is the way to categorize death as required by most State's Department of Health. The classifications are natural, accident, suicide, homicide, undetermined, and pending. Only medical examiner's and coroners may use all of the manners of death. Other certifiers must use natural or refer the death to the medical examiner. The manner of death is determined by the medical examiner.

It is possible the Aunt is not fully understanding of this but she is right to withhold the info until LE releases it.

Cause of Death is a term used to indicate the medical cause of death. It lists the disease(s) or injuries that caused death. Specific cause of death information is recorded on the death certificate and is entered into the Vital Statistics System of the State.

The reason why an accident occurred, a person took their own life, or why one person killed another person are not investigated by the medical examiner for the purpose of death certification.

Manner of Death is the way to categorize death as required by most State's Department of Health. The classifications are natural, accident, suicide, homicide, undetermined, and pending. Only medical examiner's and coroners may use all of the manners of death. Other certifiers must use natural or refer the death to the medical examiner. The manner of death is determined by the medical examiner.

It is possible the Aunt is not fully understanding of this but she is right to withhold the info until LE releases it.
Excellent explanation. Far better, with more info, than I could have done :) No new updates that I'm aware of. People are a bit anxious, but also patient, in the locality. I'm so impressed with how Michaela's family and the community.

Autopsy into Montgomery County woman's death complete (with clip)

October 05, 2018

"State police say the autopsy of Michaela Macvilla, the missing woman from Montgomery County, has been finished. However, they are not releasing any new information at this time.

The investigation into her death continues...."

Autopsy into Montgomery County woman's death complete
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funeral for Michaela Macvilla expected to pack St. Johnsville high school auditorium

October 7, 2018

"..."Our investigation has already transitioned from a missing person (case) to a criminal investigation," O'Brien said...."

Funeral for Michaela Macvilla expected to pack St. Johnsville high school auditorium
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen anything new that has been reported, as of this morning. AFAIK, the autopsy was completed last week and LE is still investigating, per a WNYT article.

I'm hoping new details emerge soon to help bring the family some answers.
Seems pretty quiet, but the limo crash in Schoharie has held much of our attention lately :(

I haven't seen anything new that has been reported, as of this morning. AFAIK, the autopsy was completed last week and LE is still investigating, per a WNYT article.

Seems pretty quiet, but the limo crash in Schoharie has held much of our attention lately :(

I’m Canadian but we summer in the Sacandaga/Hadley area not too far from you. Great people and lovely communities. . My heart breaks for all your region has been going through.
Love it there, too. Two of our adult kids live in Glens Falls/Lake George area. My dad used to keep a boat on the Sacandaga, and I smoked my first cigar at a friend's camp there, lol!

What are some reasons LE would not give out manner of death yet? Are there any reasons besides perhaps still waiting for some toxicology tests?

Sometimes they withhold the information until after the funeral to observe behavior at the funeral. If they have a suspect but not enough evidence they may withhold everything while interviews with witnesses or suspects are going on so they aren't tainted by the information released by the media.

If the articles are accurate and the family says they were informed and want justice for Michaela, they likely were told it was not a suicide.

Sometimes they withhold the information until after the funeral to observe behavior at the funeral. If they have a suspect but not enough evidence they may withhold everything while interviews with witnesses or suspects are going on so they aren't tainted by the information released by the media.

If the articles are accurate and the family says they were informed and want justice for Michaela, they likely were told it was not a suicide.
Thank you. I thought as much, but it seems more often than not, a death is called a homicide pretty quickly, unless of course the coroner deems it undetermined. I'll keep sniffing around for any news.

Fear continues in St. Johnsville after missing woman is found dead

"ST. JOHNSVILLE - Fear and uncertainty continue in St. Johnsville, weeks after the death of a young woman....

Michaela's aunt, Cora Murray, says she and the rest of her family are still struggling to come to terms with MacVilla's death. She is the third family member they've lost in three months. MacVilla's grandfather and sister both passed away recently.

Murray says state police have been keeping in contact with them throughout the investigation. Though no suspects or cause of death have been named, Murray still believes someone is responsible for her niece's death.

A spokesperson for state police in Latham said Tuesday they did not have any more information about the case...."

Fear continues in St. Johnsville after missing woman is found dead
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published October 15, 2018
Investigation continues after body of missing woman found

MacVilla, 21, was laid to rest on October 7 and little is known publicly about her death. Although an autopsy was completed on October 5, police remain tight lipped about the cause of her death.

The case, however, remains open and active, according to New York State Police.

In a previous interview with NEWS10 ABC reporter Anya Tucker, MacVilla’s aunt, Cora Murray, alluded to what or who caused her niece’s death.

“They don’t believe she did it to herself,” Murray said at the time. “That’s why it remains a criminal investigation.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back