Resolved NY - Middle Island, LI - Human skeletal found in wooded area, 3 Mar 2017 - Name withheld

I thought kt was a stock photo at first, but i did a reverse image search and fhe only source was new New York post. I mean those can sometimes not pull up everything but usually it pulls up if its a stock photo IMO I have been searching various skull related stock images and not found out either, so idk
It may have originated from PBS. I emailed the NY Post today I am trying to get a definitive answer. It could be a NY Post Stock Photo.

The skull image includes some EXIF data. No author or gps listed, but it includes the following long caption, apparently the journalist's info/instructions:

No, not long lost cemetery. This area is very near Manorville where they found two torsos of sex workers (Jane Doe #6 was found in 2000, and Jessica Taylor was 2003) both of whom were dismembered. Additional body parts of these two victims were later found scattered along Ocean Parkway in 2011 along with 8 other victims, leading one of the largest, most puzzling serial killer cases of the last decade. Back in 2000, Jane Doe #6’s torso was originally discovered in the Manorville woods, wrapped in a plastic bag, by a hunter. Coincidentally, this skull was also found by hunter searching for deer antlers, who stumbled upon the head.

What is so intriguing about this find is that some of the bodies found along Gilgo Beach are tragically still missing heads, which is why someone finding a skull, especially near Manorville, should be red alert for suffolk county PD. Most importantly we are looking for the head of “Peaches” a woman whose torso was found in Hempstead Lake State Park in 1997 who has since been linked to Jane Doe #3 found along Ocean Parkway.”

It has since been revealed to the general public through the efforts of filmmakers Joshua Zeman and Rachel Mills, who are behind the true crime series, The Killing Season, that other body parts of Peaches were among the human remains found alone Ocean Parkway in 2011. Since the show's premiere last fall Zeman & Mills have continued to push the LISK case forward as they seek justice for Long Island victims and their families. All eight episodes of the Killing Season on Amazon.

I’m sure NEWSDAY will be on it, since the hunter was just interviewed by police, but maybe not.
Suffolk County PD is handing.

I’ll see if I can get you the picture takers info, otherwise Anonymous.

The skull image includes some EXIF data. No author or gps listed, but it includes the following long caption, apparently the journalist's info/instructions:

So it's really discussing things from the past as opposed to a Hunter supposedly taking the photo that came across the find. Since the NY Post did not answer any of us to date zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I sent an email off to Michael Baden. He did the forensics on my nieces murder. I gave him the NY Post link and asked him the following: at a glance, if he can make a call on how old this skull may be?
The Real Middle Island Skull is estimated postmortem interval 6 months.

This photo very well may have been taken by a Hunter but it was years ago and it was a Manorville Skull, not the Middle Island Skull.

Picture Snatcher has been insisting this is a actual Middle Island Photo from March 4 2017 taken by the Hunter but to date he can not back that statement up. From the beginning I said it WAS NOT. along with other posters but as you can see he keeps insisting it is as of yesterday, March 31, at 10:49PM.

Yesterday, 10:49 PM
PictureSnatcher
user-offline.png

Join DateDec 2016Posts338​

For anyone reading here who is wondering, I just wanted to clarify that the photo of the skull in the post article is in fact the actual skull found by the hunter. He took the photo himself. I know this for sure. Just wanted to clarify for anyone who was confused.​

Jems can you find a date of the photo? Thank you.

2017:03:04 22:10:30 was its last modified date with Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows listed as the software. But I assume that is simply when it was cropped/edited/watermarked whatever they did with it, not when the photo was taken.

I saw in another section for IPTC information that it had the following information:
Source ToMerlin
Object Name skull-mannerville.jpg
Date Created 2017:03:04

Again, that date isn't necessarily when the photo was taken. I am not sure what the "ToMerlin" source means.
Anyone can see all the metadata themselves easily using a site like http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi and putting in the image link https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/skull.jpg

The date the photo was taken is May 3, when the skull was found, obviously

As Jems said it was modified for the post March 3rd, it doesn't mean it was taken March 3rd. They ran it online March 4th. Can't wait to prove you wrong, if you weren't so obnoxious I would have dropped it in March. There is also not thing mentioned by Jems findings about Middle Island skull.

The larger photo has nothing apart from the most basic file data, but presumably was where the nypost got the image from. Since it doesn't seem to have existed before on the internet, my opinion is that it does belong to this case. However, it would be nice if PictureSnatcher would elaborate on his connection to it, and any more information he might have.

The larger photo has nothing apart from the most basic file data, but presumably was where the nypost got the image from. Since it doesn't seem to have existed before on the internet, my opinion is that it does belong to this case. However, it would be nice if PictureSnatcher would elaborate on his connection to it, and any more information he might have.
I hope to hear back from Michael Baden early next week and or the NY Post which I emailed 2 people today.

Here's my :twocents: on hunting/hiking. Several news articles state the remains were found near a hiking trail:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...nvestigate-skeletal-remains-article-1.2989305
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sland-are-human-suffolk-police-say-1.13215572
If it were a hunter on a hiking trail I can see where some confusion may have occurred. The article that did identify the man who found the remains as a hunter states that he "spotted the detached skull Friday as he followed deer tracks off a hiking trail in Middle Island" http://nypost.com/2017/03/04/hunter-finds-detached-skull-in-long-island-field/

More importantly, March 3 would not have been within deer hunting season in Suffolk County http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html Both Bowhunting and Special Firearms Deer Seasons in Suffolk County ended on January 31 and Suffolk County does not have Muzzleloading Deer hunting. It appears that the hunter was out on a hiking trail tracking deer but not actively hunting with a weapon since it was not within deer hunting season at the time. Hence the man is a hunter who was essentially hiking as part of a hunting-related activity. (I better quit because this is starting to sound like lawyer jargon!)

I hope to hear back from Michael Baden early next week and or the NY Post which I emailed 2 people today.
I hope they get back to you soon. I did see the correspondence where Josh confirmed that the photo was of the actual remains and came from the hunter. Since it's from social media it would be against the rules to actually post it though. It would be nice if everyone could see it but considering the circumstances I'm hoping someone from the NY Post replies soon.

I also hope that NamUs gets a sketch up soon (in the last Suffolk County UID it happened in about a month, which would mean we might see one next week if things stay on track with this UID)! I also hope that the DNA gets submitted so matches can be compared. I still haven't submitted Orlando Perez https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/34596/13/ as a match because he doesn't have dental info and the UID still doesn't have DNA submitted. I also think Ricardo Gonzalez is a great match -nice find DQN!

My family just got a call saying that the DNA came back and after 10 yrs of searching for my brother my family can finally have closure. So yes a family did find an answer to a lost loved one. R.I.P. Sammy Masone
To everyone still searching for their loved ones, my prayers are with you.

My family just got a call saying that the DNA came back and after 10 yrs of searching for my brother my family can finally have closure. So yes a family did find an answer to a lost loved one. R.I.P. Sammy M.

I am so sorry about your loss and the 10 years of searching. I am glad that you and your family can now start to work towards closure, although I understand this is not a miracle -more bittersweet if anything. Thank you so much for sharing the news.

I'm curious why this case has not been removed from NamUs yet if the remains were identified?
https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/16432

I did find a news article from 1998 that shows that Sam Masone was a real person who lived on LI (who was 17 at that time) but I couldn't find anything else about him going missing...

My thoughts and support are still with nymike and his family. I don't want to cause any further pain to anyone in this already tough situation. I'm just curious what is going on with this case?

Was it same masone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to update this thread with accurate and new info.

My knowledge is based on the fact that I work at the commercial complex adjacent to where the remains were found.

I was at work the day they discovered the remains. Lots of police. Someone earlier in the thread noted something about a water scandal? There used to be a water company at my complex. Related?

Anyway, what most of you dont know is that about a week later, police found another set of remains 1/2 to 1 mile north on the same road. This was never in the papers.

I reported some of this info to the guy who is on the TV show (cant recall the name) and in googling if anything had been newly discovered I came across this thread. As far as the exact spot of the remains, basically 40ft southeast from the intersection of Bailey and Rocky Pt Rd.

I'm trying to determine the actual location of where this UID was found. NamUs says 128 Rocky Point Road, Middle Island but there is not a sump there. The closest sump area is off of Bailey Rd behind the strip mall.
attachment.php
Water Resources of the United States—National Water Information System (NWIS) Mapper

This inactive well field is on property owned by SCWA.
attachment.php
ArcGIS Web Application
In searching more about this Bailey Rd. Well Field I found a very interesting website with meticulously archived records about allege fraud concerning water quality testing in Suffolk County http://www.gfxtechnology.com/Rn-Fraud.html

If you look on google street view this well field is gated (gates closed in 2013 shot, open in 2012)
attachment.php

For years there has been speculation that LISK could be some sort of public utility worker who could go undetected pulled over at dump sites. With this dump site being gated, I attempted to research SCWA personnel lists at these sites with no success (as well as reading old board meeting minutes and newsletters):
State employee salaries SeeThroughNY :: Payrolls

Interestingly, but probably not related is that the strip mall next to the well field to the West of this site on Rocky Point Rd is owned by an East Hampton mogul accused of having an affair with Martha Stewart http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426647/Socialite-47-tells-26-000-MONTH-allowance-cut-father-told-mom-affair-Martha-Stewart.ht

Some more specific location details could be very helpful here. I could be way off -maybe the gate is no longer there. If this UID was found in this area and it were still gated, that could direct our focus to a limited pool of individuals who would have had access to it, recently!

You are on to something. Attached pic is exact location of the discovery. Within the strip mall you speak of used to be a privately owned water company...something 'purolator' i think. I can get an exact name. I never knew SCWA owned the land directly to the northwest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180527-055200_Samsung capture.jpg
    Screenshot_20180527-055200_Samsung capture.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 10

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads