NY - Orsolya Gaal, 51, body found in duffel bag, Queens, Apr 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it remains to see if calling what she was on "a date" was a misinterpretation on the part of the press or a Freudian slip of the son's. Because that was what was originally mentioned: she was on a date with a man, no?
I wonder if "date" might be a term she would use as a synonym for a "girl's night out." - "We girls have a date tonight (with each other)." Maybe "date" would be a term used in Hungary moreso than in the US for such an event?

I think it's a huge bit of poetic license to assume that since she was having a drink at a bar near her home, alone, she was assumed to be meeting someone. Maybe she just wanted a quiet drink in a nice cocktail lounge.

I want to second this. The weather was very nice Friday and her area is very busy and has a night life. In NY females do go and have a drinks alone at bars and people watch etc. If it was a neighborhood bar even nicer.

I am not a native English speaker, and I didn't realize using a phrase like this might "out" me as such. I don't have an accent and I'm fully bilingual, but the syntax and some idioms learned in childhood conveyed and people sometimes say "well, aren't you fancy!" in a mocking way when I use what they consider dated expressions. I think it would reflect reading a lot, but I guess that's my bias?
I am an English speaker and I use strange phrases alot! And often get called out for it. An avid reader also!

JMO that bartenders are pretty good at reading people. If a bartender thought someone seemed as if they were waiting for someone, I’d tend to believe them. They can tell if a person wants to chat a little, or if they just want to be left alone, for example. Their tips depend on it.

She may have been glancing at the door or window expectantly, or checking her watch or phone.

JMO

3. do you think it’s redundant to say “Austin Street in Forest Hills”? IMO everyone local (hell, even I a Manhattanite) knows Austin Street is in Forest Hills. Would a local/native ever phrase it that way?

Taking it one step further as a native, we would drop the STREET and just say AUSTIN. Kinda like saying Lexington or Park or Columbus and dropping the Ave.

I think you may very well be right. Now the question becomes, whose bedroom is that??
I would suspect a thorough investigator might look for blood everywhere in the house and maybe this video just captures them entering this room at the moment the person decided to shoot footage/
but it is interesting.
There are so many shifting details in the media that it is hard to decipher what occured. It might be the simplest explanation..or not.
Very interesting imo that there was no sexual assault.
The children seems to be musically talented. I wonder if there were any tutors/mentors in that field that came to the house to teach/jam with the boys?
The person/male walking away from the house pulling the hockey bag/body bag effortlessly, had an energetic confident long stride with maybe a touch of swagger. I could almost hear him whistling . All IMO

What if OG was lured to the bar to meet someone and instead that someone used that time while she waited for their arrival to access the house via the side door to lay in wait for her? I don't want to use the word date because I am not sure I believe that to be true but that is the word being bandied about in the press. For whatever reason, she agrees to meet unknown person at said bar. When they no show, she goes home and they are there, waiting for her inside her own home.

They could have either known the youngest son was home but took risk of being seen/heard OR been under the impression that the youngest was out of town with father and brother.

I think it's a huge bit of poetic license to assume that since she was having a drink at a bar near her home, alone, she was assumed to be meeting someone. Maybe she just wanted a quiet drink in a nice cocktail lounge.
Agreed. Esp close to home... imagine meeting a neighbor while there unexpectedly. "Oh... hi. This is, um..."

I wonder if "date" might be a term she would use as a synonym for a "girl's night out." - "We girls have a date tonight (with each other)." Maybe "date" would be a term used in Hungary moreso than in the US for such an event?

Possibly.

Taking it one step further as a native, we would drop the STREET and just say AUSTIN. Kinda like saying Lexington or Park or Columbus and dropping the Ave.

And a NON-native or non-resident might do the same thing for a different reason.

Like, I’ve been to NYC once in my adult life, and I would just call Bowery “Bowery”, because I legitimately don’t know whether it’s street, ave, blvd etc.

Which makes the inclusion of “street” even weirder on some level.

<modsnip>
The article states that LE believe she was murdered on the first floor.<modsnip> I assume there is likely a family room and kitchen and dining room on the first floor as well as possibly a formal living room. The knife used to stab her may well have come from her kitchen. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
And a NON-native or non-resident might do the same thing for a different reason.

Like, I’ve been to NYC once in my adult life, and I would just call Bowery “Bowery”, because I legitimately don’t know whether it’s street, ave, blvd etc.

Which makes the inclusion of “street” even weirder on some level.

Lurker here, but wanted to chime in. People who live in Queens/Forest Hills refer to "Austin Street" as "Austin Street". No one calls it Austin. Not unusual at all to call it Austin Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekmtl